Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

• Cannabis

Votes: 107 42.5%
  • Weed

Votes: 164 65.1%
  • Bud

Votes: 80 31.7%
  • Herb

Votes: 69 27.4%
  • Pot

Votes: 65 25.8%
  • Marijuana / MJ

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Dope

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Ganja

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gas

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Other (specify in the comments)

Votes: 43 17.1%

• Total voters

bhasma

Sadhus in India often use the Sanskrit term Bhūti, which means existence or well-being, and in Hindi it's short for Jadi Bhūti or medicinal herbs.

And when the herb has turned to bhasma in the chillum it is Vibhūti (greatness and the successful outcome of a sacrifice).

And both Bhūti and Vibhūti can refer to ashes - so from ashes to ashes the Sadhu smokes chillums in the cremation ground.

Sounding the same in English (and without existential overtones) the word Booty or that which (perhaps illegally) enriches, originally what is exchanged or dealt out, is a good homophone. I scored some booty from my old mate. Perhaps the double entendre (not intended) will prevent this term catching on, but my Oxford Dictionary stops at the pirate's prize and something taken by force, and modern usage is unfortunate.

Last edited:

Dankvinci

Sadhus in India often use the Sanskrit term Bhūti, which means existence or well-being, and in Hindi it's short for Jadi Bhūti or medicinal herbs.

And when the herb has turned to bhasma in the chillum it is Vibhūti (greatness and the successful outcome of a sacrifice).

And both Bhūti and Vibhūti can refer to ashes - so from ashes to ashes the Sadhu smokes chillums in the cremation ground.

Sounding the same in English (and without existential overtones) the word Booty or that which (perhaps illegally) enriches, originally what is exchanged or dealt out, is a good homophone. I scored some booty from my old mate. Perhaps the double entendre (not intended) will prevent this term catching on, but my Oxford Dictionary stops at the pirate's prize and something taken by force, and modern usage is unfortunate.
This is such a cool story!! So, I could say I'm vaping some Jadi Bhūti? :)

bhasma

So, I could say I'm vaping some Jadi Bhūti? :)
The pronunciation is a bit tricky for English speakers, with the "d" in Jadi being a sound not used in English. The "a" is short and the "d" is somewhere between "r" and "d" and the word sounds more like "jeri", so perhaps "jeri bhooti" is close. And both jeri and bhooti are used alone as a term for ganja. The herb is bhooti and the ashes are vibhooti, and AVB is not true vibhooti, but I have a friend who takes my AVB for making edibles and he considers it so.

Dankvinci

The pronunciation is a bit tricky for English speakers, with the "d" in Jadi being a sound not used in English. The "a" is short and the "d" is somewhere between "r" and "d" and the word sounds more like "jeri", so perhaps "jeri bhooti" is close. And both jeri and bhooti are used alone as a term for ganja. The herb is bhooti and the ashes are vibhooti, and AVB is not true vibhooti, but I have a friend who takes my AVB for making edibles and he considers it so.
I love it!! Jeri Bhooti

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
^or YELLING at, as it were....🤫😜

I wonder what I said the last time I posted in this thread...?🤔 can't seem to recall, or care enough to check or search back either... so I'll just post in the Now... right Now, and for awhile now anyway, I only usually say "flower" or "weed" and sometimes "bud", with budlet, nug, nugget, nuglet etc usually only mostly in a joking manner... "kind" too, but that's also usually somewhat sarcastic as it was a popular term at the time when I was growing and sure to have plenty of product available for the pre-home Bruins Grateful Dead run at the Gahden every fall... to trade for Kind Grilled Cheesers etc, of course...🙄 and has just kinda "stuck" with me...:tup:

budski

cantre member
budlets and nuglets are fine with me, there's something about a pretty little nug that fits the bowl juuust right.
Shared a house in so cal with some Hawaiians in the 80s, "So got sum kind bra? bus' outaready!"

Last edited:

JettyRatt

^or YELLING at, as it were....🤫😜

I wonder what I said the last time I posted in this thread...?🤔 can't seem to recall, or care enough to check or search back either... so I'll just post in the Now... right Now, and for awhile now anyway, I only usually say "flower" or "weed" and sometimes "bud", with budlet, nug, nugget, nuglet etc usually only mostly in a joking manner... "kind" too, but that's also usually somewhat sarcastic as it was a popular term at the time when I was growing and sure to have plenty of product available for the pre-home Bruins Grateful Dead run at the Gahden every fall... to trade for Kind Grilled Cheesers etc, of course...🙄 and has just kinda "stuck" with me...:tup:
sorry for the YELLING I was at work and all work entries are in all CAPS so i have cap lock on all the time

JettyRatt,
  • Haha
Reactions: Bologna

HughJass

Tree was the common term we all used when I was growing up.
Although Cannabis is my new preferred term. (I also use herb or flower for more casual discussions)

I view some the terms like pot, weed, and ‘devils lettuce’ as somewhat derogatory.
(I think some of the cultural taboos have been perpetuated because of a shroud of mystery which, imho, these types of nicknames help perpetuate)

I think it’s high time we start to directly oppose the cultural taboos and start calling it what it is. Hopefully in time the world will again see it as just another herb with potentially medicinal benefits as any other plant/herb/tree ect.

Top Bottom