Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

• Cannabis

Votes: 107 42.5%
  • Weed

Votes: 164 65.1%
  • Bud

Votes: 80 31.7%
  • Herb

Votes: 69 27.4%
  • Pot

Votes: 65 25.8%
  • Marijuana / MJ

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Dope

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Ganja

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gas

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Other (specify in the comments)

Votes: 43 17.1%

• Total voters

EverythingsHazy

I've never seen google trends before...thats pretty funny.
Isn't it? It's a really cool tool. Apparently, during one of the at-home, online, timed tests for something school related, the searches for the topics went up sharply as each section began. Lmao

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: BrianTL

Aquanaught

A good friend of mine once used the terms “rocket leaves” and “anchor stones” when discussing sativas vs. indicas. (Should be apparent which is which). I’ve never heard them before; I assume he made them up. But I like the whimsicalness and have come to use these when discussing different strains.

EverythingsHazy

A good friend of mine once used the terms “rocket leaves” and “anchor stones” when discussing sativas vs. indicas. (Should be apparent which is which). I’ve never heard them before; I assume he made them up. But I like the whimsicalness and have come to use these when discussing different strains.
Rocket Leaf and Anchor Stone would be cool strain names.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Totally forgot about ‘smoke’ - that was the general “shield” word back in the day:
Like when Tom Skerritt told Cheech, "Smoke, smoke. You want some smoke. Yeah man, I can get you some smoke."

Shit, I remember buying "Lids".... haha!
Yes, I remember people saying Lids. When we had the money to buy a whole ounce (which was a rare and special occasion), we called it a z. I say we because no one person had the money to buy a whole z, which was around $100. It was something that friends went in on.

And just as fun was taking it home and laying it all out and just marveling at just how much fucking weed you had. It was a weed abbandanza, and better than Christmas morning. We would roll big fatties right from the mound of weed. We would play with it while we smoked, checking out all the biggest buds. Then it would be divided up, under careful inspection, and everyone took their baggie.

We had no understanding of any terms like indica or sativa. It was weed, and it was full of seeds and stems. And when you ran out, you'd brew those stems and seeds in hopes of getting high, but it never worked. So you took your knife and you scraped the shit out of your bowls and ran paper clips down your bongs just to pull together enough black reclaim shit to get everyone high until more weed was scored.
I don't miss it, but I miss it.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
"Skunk" was another popular one especially around my area in the late 80's/early 90's, and not just cuz I went to Sensi Seeds in the 'Dam and bought Skunk #1 (Big Bud, Early Pearl, "Pure Indica", "Nigerian" and "Purple Indica", too) seeds, smuggled 'em in to LaGuardia on NYE and very successfully grew many pounds of killer weed, five years straight OUTDOORS in MA, with SB#1 being the top producer, either...! :razz: It was also cuz that was the time indoor/hydro/"Cali weed" started becoming much more ubiquitous outside the connoisseur market and most just called it that, either "skunk" or "hydro".

good memories, for sure...

edit: come to think of it, "Sensi" and "Sensimilla" were also commonly used and pretty generic

So you took your knife and you scraped the shit out of your bowls and ran paper clips down your bongs just to pull together enough black reclaim shit to get everyone high until more weed was scored.
"reclaim"...? I'd probably spit up laughing if I heard someone call resin that back then... and we called the actual hits "resbos"... ha!

Gross timez.....

Last edited:

Alexis

Pistol Pete

I'm 55 and have called it about everything on the list above but I don't anymore. I especially don't use the word dope. I refer to it as flower or meds. Back in high school my friend's father called it dope and I hated that. He would say, " Only a dope would smoke dope. " He was an alcoholic. It killed him.

EverythingsHazy

I have mixed feelings about calling it "medicine". Calm down before raising pitchforks over this post. Lol

Is it medicinal? Yes, it is.

However, it is clearly different than most other medications, which aren't often taken at doses large enough to produce a buzz. When you take Xanax or Percocet as prescribed, you shouldn't be getting stoned. The same goes for Adderall.

If you take a hit or two of weed, to mitigate some medical ailments, then sure, you're using it as a medicine. If you need to get stoned to fall asleep at night, that can still count. However, I don't consider all Cannabis use medical use, unlike some people.

If you use any other prescription drug for fun, I wouldn't consider it to be medical use. It'd considered drug abuse/misuse. If you use Cannabis for fun, why would it be considered medical use? Smoking and playing video games, when you have no ailments that you are trying to treat, doesn't strike me as "medical" use. I have absolutely nothing wrong with people who want to smoke themselves into a stupor for the sake of getting stoned and doing nothing else, but I don't consider that medical use.

I get the feeling that "meds" or "medicine" comes across as a nickname that makes everyone who's not a medical user roll his/her eyes, especially since the vast majority of people who do experience some sort of benefit (often just anxiety relief), can abstain from consumption, if they choose to. If someone has a heart condition, lung condition, or diabetes, and says they need their meds, they may very well drop dead if they don't get them within minutes. That's why when a stoner says he getting some meds, and comes back with a joint to just calm down and relax a little bit while rambling about some anime series, instead of using it to switch off his seizures, or to allow him to stomach some food after chemo, or to treat some other serious condition, it comes across as pretetious, to me, for lack of a better term.

I'm up to respectfully debate the use of the terms "meds" / "my medicine", as I think the topic and those terms both have some value in the community.

strech

There was a time I was living in NC and THC usage was out of the question, but there was a food truck that opened up there called Dank Burrito. I had always known Dank was slang for weed, but never really appreciated how much of a stoner truck the thing was until I got to really experience weed.

Actually since I left NC it looks like they opened up 3 physical locations on top of the food truck which was originally in Morehead City... thats where the first physical storefront opened up too. Good for them.

Sorry for the OT tangent!
Back in my younger days friends and I would say you want to hang with Dan K. As code to smoke up.

Pistol Pete

I have mixed feelings about calling it "medicine". Calm down before raising pitchforks over this post. Lol

Is it medicinal? Yes, it is.

However, it is clearly different than most other medications, which aren't often taken at doses large enough to produce a buzz. When you take Xanax or Percocet as prescribed, you shouldn't be getting stoned. The same goes for Adderall.

If you take a hit or two of weed, to mitigate some medical ailments, then sure, you're using it as a medicine. If you need to get stoned to fall asleep at night, that can still count. However, I don't consider all Cannabis use medical use, unlike some people.

If you use any other prescription drug for fun, I wouldn't consider it to be medical use. It'd considered drug abuse/misuse. If you use Cannabis for fun, why would it be considered medical use? Smoking and playing video games, when you have no ailments that you are trying to treat, doesn't strike me as "medical" use. I have absolutely nothing wrong with people who want to smoke themselves into a stupor for the sake of getting stoned and doing nothing else, but I don't consider that medical use.

I get the feeling that "meds" or "medicine" comes across as a nickname that makes everyone who's not a medical user roll his/her eyes, especially since the vast majority of people who do experience some sort of benefit (often just anxiety relief), can abstain from consumption, if they choose to. If someone has a heart condition, lung condition, or diabetes, and says they need their meds, they may very well drop dead if they don't get them within minutes. That's why when a stoner says he getting some meds, and comes back with a joint to just calm down and relax a little bit while rambling about some anime series, instead of using it to switch off his seizures, or to allow him to stomach some food after chemo, or to treat some other serious condition, it comes across as pretetious, to me, for lack of a better term.

I'm up to respectfully debate the use of the terms "meds" / "my medicine", as I think the topic and those terms both have some value in the community.
Well said my friend and I understand you completely. When I medicate morning, noon or night I use a vape, no combustion for me. I suffer from arthritic pain and don't consider it getting high, but I do. Let me explain. First I don't drink or smoke at ALL. When I vape it not only makes me feel physically better but mentally better also. I tend to be mellow, have more patience and don't let things or people bother me.I like myself better too! I can usually calm a person or situation down. I have had people ask me if I meditate, lol. I use this as an opportunity to educate them on the benefits of cannabis for body, mind and spirt. Everyone has a different view and again I understand yours. I like Cannabis or medicine because people tend to not be taken back from the words. I just wanted to explain that a little better. Well I have the Edge loaded with some Cherry 🍒 Pie 🥧 and I'm running late. Look at the time 😉

EverythingsHazy

Well said my friend and I understand you completely. When I medicate morning, noon or night I use a vape, no combustion for me. I suffer from arthritic pain and don't consider it getting high, but I do. Let me explain. First I don't drink or smoke at ALL. When I vape it not only makes me feel physically better but mentally better also. I tend to be mellow, have more patience and don't let things or people bother me.I like myself better too! I can usually calm a person or situation down. I have had people ask me if I meditate, lol. I use this as an opportunity to educate them on the benefits of cannabis for body, mind and spirt. Everyone has a different view and again I understand yours. I like Cannabis or medicine because people tend to not be taken back from the words. I just wanted to explain that a little better. Well I have the Edge loaded with some Cherry 🍒 Pie 🥧 and I'm running late. Look at the time 😉
I'd wouldn't say that Cannabis making one feel better shouldn't disqualify it's use from being considered medical.

I guess I'd consider usage medical or recreational, based on the first priority/goal.
If one is trying to treat something like arthritis pain, and then they happen to enjoy the effects, that's medical, imo.
If one is trying to get high, and it happens to have some beneficial side effects, I wouldn't consider that medical use.

Alexis

I'd wouldn't say that Cannabis making one feel better shouldn't disqualify it's use from being considered medical.

I guess I'd consider usage medical or recreational, based on the first priority/goal.
If one is trying to treat something like arthritis pain, and then they happen to enjoy the effects, that's medical, imo.
If one is trying to get high, and it happens to have some beneficial side effects, I wouldn't consider that medical use.
I feel using the term among friends, in a blashe informal free sense, like, "gonna get me some medicine", "gonna get nicely medicated on weed shortly."

The terms actually hold attraction for me. Ultimately, cannabis genuinely is an extraordinarily medicinal plant.

Even when used purey recreationally, especially when vaporized, it is working powerfully, holistically on the user in a medicinally protective sense.

I believe and regard that to be so anyway.

"Medicine" implies need in a sort of slangly interpreted way.

To me, anything naturally medicinal, which provides any positive health benefits, used for whatever purpose, can be validly referred to as medicine.

Aside, I am a champion of the true medicinal power of pure, vaporized cannabis in particular, for so many conditions.

So to me, I am comfortable with cannabis being labelled a medicine, because I feel it deserves recognition for it's extraordinary and life changeing potential there. As long as the context is clearly understood, which hopefully in time, with increased acceptance of Cannabis's true medicinal nature, it will become less of a taboo.

But still, I use more obvious, plain descriptive terms for cannabis.

Although...I never have a set word in my head, any single time I bring up the topic of cannabis. I use whatever comes to my head.

But actually, mostly cannabis these days. Simple and true.

Last edited:

notams

toke down Babylon
I'm 48 years old. Never used cannabis ever, not once, 'til 2 years ago. I never had the need or want. Now, I'm a medical user. I have Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. I live in a legal state, Colorado. My family and I almost exclusively use the word cannabis.

I think 'medicine' is inadvertently an insult to cannabis when one considers what the word 'medicine' means today to many people who have been victims of the medical industry. That holy word has been so defiled by pharmaceutical companies, doctors, hospitals and insurance companies that I hesitate using that word in relation to what I personally use as my alternative to medicine.

However, in a Quixotic effort to retrieve the word medicine from the grasp of goofballs in their silly white coats I occasionally refer to cannabis as medicine.

Definitely NOT marijuana. Unless you're a politician from the South mid-century.

Only use the word dope if you're a dad from the 1970's.

Only use the word blow if you'd like folks to assume you're casually referring to felonious cocaine use.

Or, like my 79 year old slightly senile mother who still speaks with the German accent from her birthplace. It's some sort of false start of 3 different words mashed up "son, are you still using that canamara... ganna something. What do you cal it again? Maracannis?" I think she actually asked me if I was vaping macaroni once.

EverythingsHazy

Even when used purey recreationally, especially when vaporized, it is working powerfully, holistically on the user in a medicinally protective sense.

I believe and regard that to be so anyway.

"Medicine" implies need in a sort of slangly interpreted way.

To me, anything naturally medicinal, which provides any positive health benefits, used for whatever purpose, can be validly referred to as medicine.
I do agree that regardless of why you are using it, it is having certain medical effects on your body, and likely some beneficial ones. That's a legitimate point.

A few things throw me off, though:
1. Any drug use could be classified as medical, because they all have some sort of chemical reaction on the body.

2. "Medicated" refers to a state in which one has medicine in one's system. One can be heavily medicated, without having any perceptible effects. Someone who takes an SSRI may be heavily medicated, and just feel "normal". What people are referring to when they say they are "medicated" is being "buzzed", "high", "stoned", etc.. It seems like a cop out for admitting to getting stoned.

3. People generally don't "additively" feel anything from using drugs for health purposes. It would be strange to hear someone say "I'm going to get medicated on this Aderrall (and then take just enough to help their diagnosed ADD), or to hear someone say they are going to get so medicated on Excedrine, when they have a migraine, as if they were planning on feeling anything other than the reduction of a negative feeling.

I'm 48 years old. Never used cannabis ever, not once, 'til 2 years ago. I never had the need or want. Now, I'm a medical user. I have Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. I live in a legal state, Colorado. My family and I almost exclusively use the word cannabis.

I think 'medicine' is inadvertently an insult to cannabis when one considers what the word 'medicine' means today to many people who have been victims of the medical industry. That holy word has been so defiled by pharmaceutical companies, doctors, hospitals and insurance companies that I hesitate using that word in relation to what I personally use as my alternative to medicine.

However, in a Quixotic effort to retrieve the word medicine from the grasp of goofballs in their silly white coats I occasionally refer to cannabis as medicine.
That's an interesting perspective. I'm glad you found some help from Cannabis, recently.
Or, like my 79 year old slightly senile mother who still speaks with the German accent from her birthplace. It's some sort of false start of 3 different words mashed up "son, are you still using that canamara... ganna something. What do you cal it again? Maracannis?" I think she actually asked me if I was vaping macaroni once.
Lmao, that's great. Maracannis. She tries!

Alexis

@EverythingsHazy I was thinking earlier, how I have often used the medicating terminology, in the verbal/written form of "medicating effetcs".

As a pose to for starters- drug effects. Even psychoactive effects, which maybe by the dictionary is the true correctly applicable term.

Don't like "herb effects" or even "cannabis effects" as terms, in those moments.

So I have many times commented ambily on receiving some nice "medicating effects" as strong cannabis effects set in.

I hear your argued points above, which are always well considered and expressed. I am inclined to agree nearly always, and I don't reject the logic of what you are saying.

But to me personally, I just don't feel it is a big deal at all, or even incorrect or inappropriate.

I see it as a positive thing, in proper context, to include the term medication and it's conjugations into the descriptive world of cannabis, just personally.

Medicine is a broader, less tightly defined term than we think of it as.

It must go back centuries, millenia. Raw, unheated cannabis is the most powerfully medicinal.

Cannabis, ultimately, IS a medicine in my own strong view, really first and foremost on this planet.

It just happens to provide a wonderful uplifting, antidepressant, psychoactive effect as well, when heated.

I think "medicine" can be used very flexible. Just within context as I say, no pretending.

I vaporize my weed, onlyna little these days, because vaping in particular has a powerful antidepressant effect on me.

Much more than edibles in terms of instant, lasting positive mood uplift, for me personally.

I use the edibles for psychoactive purposes admittedly when I don't vape.

But most importantly, edibles are an essential digestive aid for me. Many times I wish they were NOT psychoactive lol and purely "medicinal" ;).

That was all. Not arguing against you Hazy. Your mental witts I am sure are more intact than my currently ravished ones right now.

Too weak to shower atm, need to, so have been drinking Kava instead, some edibles too.

Damn gotta get washed though. Hope everybody is okay.

Summer

Long Island, NY
That's why when a stoner says he getting some meds, and comes back with a joint to just calm down and relax a little bit while rambling about some anime series, instead of using it to switch off his seizures, or to allow him to stomach some food after chemo, or to treat some other serious condition, it comes across as pretetious, to me, for lack of a better term.

:nod:

What people are referring to when they say they are "medicated" is being "buzzed", "high", "stoned", etc.. It seems like a cop out for admitting to getting stoned.

There's an IG stoner in particular who always hides behind "his medicine." His cop-out (primarily for his appearance to his audience ... & for, occasionally, the comfort in deluding himself) always disgusts me as he's a huge, slobbering stoner. I say, if the shoe fits, be honest about your usage & own it.

As far as terms, I use cannabis, herb, weed, pot, flower, mj or marijuana. Whatever comes out of my mouth in the moment.

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

This hits the nail on the head and basically exactly how I feel about the whole "medicine" term. I'm not a med user so maybe its a case of me looking for "offense" in the wrong place...

I feel like this is a topic I could easily rant about but I'll try to keep it super short especially because everything I was going to say has been touched on already. There are people who legitimately, 100% use it as a medicine. That is great that it works for them, and I do believe that it is being used medically in those situations.

There are people who clearly are not using it medically and just using it as an excuse.... fine and dandy between stoners to call it meds but IMO gives the plant a bad rep when "non-believers" see/hear it. It turns the whole medical movement into a sham if you ask me and really makes people question those who actually do use it as medicine. As a rec user I would never want to give somebody a reason to doubt somebody else who does use it for legitimate medical purposes.

Not always, but in a lot of instances people self diagnose anxiety, depression, ADHD, etc. and self medicate with weed. I tend to lean more towards the BS side here, cause in most situations its somebody who is just getting high and saying wow I feel great! So medicated! Meanwhile they would have been completely fine had they not gotten high, or getting high has zero effect on the issue other than distracting them.

Not to say every medical user requires some sort of medical diagnoses and a prescription, I dont agree with that. Not everybody has access to a psychologist to say oh, yeah, you're definitely depressed... I just think that a lot of people take it too far and jump on the med train when it doesn't apply. Just call it for what it is, you can enjoy MJ recreationally and also happen to enjoy some of the medical/therapeutic effects as a bonus, but I think too many people saying it's their medication are full of it. If you have a rough day and want to get high and chill, I dont think thats medicating anything. I do that all of the time, get home from work, open a bottle of wine and vape a bowl, especially if I had a particularly stressful day. Sure I could make a case that I have anxiety/depression and I'm medicating myself, but idk, to me that disrespects those who actually do use it medically.

Vice Versa you can just as easily be using it for legit med. purposes but also enjoy getting high, so it's not mutually exclusive.

This honestly reminds me of the whole emotional support animal thing, which I feel very strongly about. People going online and getting ESA letters from some witch doc. and presenting it to their landlord who doesnt allow pets, legally compelling them to let the untrained ankle biter reside with them, for "anxiety." I love dogs as much as the next guy, I have my own lunatic running around, but there's a point where you shouldn't take advantage of programs designed for those who actually need them. There are dogs who have gone through actual service dog training and are trained for specific tasks and medical issues - and then there are the dogs that Suzie got from the puppy shop and now all of a sudden Suzie has anxiety.

I dont know. The whole thing is a fine line. Could one make an argument that it's "medicine," if I'm sad all day long, vape a bowl, and now all of a sudden I'm not sad? Sure, I suppose so. Personally, I wouldn't say it's medicine. I would consider that having a rough day and vaping to unwind and relax.

Opposite end of the spectrum for dramatic purposes, I'm dealing with some trauma and I have no desire to get out of bed, I vape a bowl and now I can go do whatever... get out of bed, clean up, do the dishes, be productive, yeah - thats medication. But that user isn't posting on Reddit saying "OOo00 my parents confiscated my medication" or "Oooo look at me getting medicated on my lunch break."

Lol at myself saying I'll try to keep that short

Alexis

One very simple way I have of looking at this- if it makes you feel better, mentally or physically, and the positives outweigh the negatives, it's medicine!

Food is medicine. Eons ago was it the Greek Hypocrates who said "Let your food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be your food" in a format close to that at least.

Top Bottom