Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

• Cannabis

Votes: 107 42.5%
  • Weed

Votes: 164 65.1%
  • Bud

Votes: 80 31.7%
  • Herb

Votes: 69 27.4%
  • Pot

Votes: 65 25.8%
  • Marijuana / MJ

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Dope

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Ganja

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gas

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Other (specify in the comments)

Votes: 43 17.1%

• Total voters

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
One very simple way I have of looking at this- if it makes you feel better, mentally or physically, and the positives outweigh the negatives, it's medicine!

Food is medicine. Eons ago was it the Greek Hypocrates who said "Let your food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be your food" in a format close to that at least.

I see what you're saying, and mostly agree. I think you have the right intentions & good thought, but in today's world, I don't think such a simplistic way of looking at it can cover the entire subject.

With controversial topics, even more so with weed because the medical use is such a big factor in national discussion/legalization, I think that "optics" are extremely important and always have to be considered.

Basically what I'm saying is, it's not doing the legalization process any good if we're looking like somebody on "My 600 lb life" scarfing down taco bell while simultaneously telling everybody that the Cheesy Gordida crunch in his hand is medicine.

Tranquility

One very simple way I have of looking at this- if it makes you feel better, mentally or physically, and the positives outweigh the negatives, it's medicine!

Food is medicine. Eons ago was it the Greek Hypocrates who said "Let your food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be your food" in a format close to that at least.
What do you do when the timelines don't cross?

Say CANNABACEAE has you feel better each time you use it, but, after using it a year you begin to realize there are negatives too. Is it medicine?

Drugs are drugs. They have effects that affect different areas of the body and brain. Chocolate is a drug too. Do the negatives outweigh the positives? Not for me; must be medicine.

The reason we distinguish medicine from drugs is because we want to ascribe some value to the user's choice. It is the judgment those who "medicate" fear, not the risks. If we don't put a value judgment on those who use, no one would care what using is called. Rather than look to the purpose the user feels is their intent, perhaps we should focus on outside of the user's thoughts to determine if it is a drug or a medication. IF we needed to decide for some reason.

Alexis

Is it medicine?
I just thought of another concept, quote, and long established pricipal:

The medicine is in the dose!

As is the poison. They can literally in so many cases, be one and the same, accordingly.

Lifestyle and individual factors also play into this equation obviously.

I hear what you guys are saying.

But I have emphasised the need for context always.

If only cannabis was freely legal everywhere, we could perhaps shape this discussion a little differently.

I don't usually state my views so downright simplistically either, but sometimes simple is best (I'm not saying this time.)

vapirtoo

Sonic you are all to the good!
Yes the phrase is spelled after the actors name, but the street parlance is
Bogard as in, Yo' don't try and Bogard your way to the front of the line! I'll fuck you up!
Sorry, NYC all the way. Actually I've heard it both ways many times.
Old drug parlance, white shirts: cocaine; green shirts: weed

vapirtoo,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

badbee

Bogard as in, Yo' don't try and Bogard your way to the front of the line! I'll fuck you up!
People on the street pronounce words many different ways, that doesn't change spelling. It will never be correct to write "axe someone a question", even where that is an accepted pronunciation. Just saying.

It comes from the way that Humphrey Bogart would leave a burning cigarette stuck to his lower lip while talking and doing things. My father used to smoke that way, rarely touched the cigarette with his fingers.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Hearing it multiple ways doesn't change what the proper way is. I hear a lot of canna-wannabe's use, 'strands' instead of 'strains'. Doesn't mean they're right, just sound like dolts.

Oh my god! I have been saying it wrong for decades. Shit. Thanks for the correction.

No worries! If I am incorrect, I don't mind someone letting me know. I wasn't tryna shame you or anything friend.
:peace:

C No Ego

Hearing it multiple ways doesn't change what the proper way is. I hear a lot of canna-wannabe's use, 'strands' instead of 'strains'. Doesn't mean they're right, just sound like dolts.

No worries! If I am incorrect, I don't mind someone letting me know. I wasn't tryna shame you or anything friend.
:peace:
even then it is not bacteria, so strains does not suffice ... Varietals are what the different types are

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Shit! I just realized I often call weed "SHIT", no matter the quality... :smug:

(sorry if it's already been mentioned... not going back.)

Bologna,
Reactions: vapirtoo

Alexis

People on the street pronounce words many different ways, that doesn't change spelling. It will never be correct to write "axe someone a question", even where that is an accepted pronunciation. Just saying.

It comes from the way that Humphrey Bogart would leave a burning cigarette stuck to his lower lip while talking and doing things. My father used to smoke that way, rarely touched the cigarette with his fingers.
Haha- Axe! Totally incorrect and invalid pronounciation though.

I grew up with lots of black friends. They almost all, appeared unable to correctly say "ask", and would always say "arks" (how I spelled the fantastical new pronounciation in my mind.)

A few times I directly questionned my friends on this, "asking" them why they always said "Arks" and not "Ask".

They all vehemently denied that they were pronouncing the word wrongly, or differently to myself and others. I really spelled it out trying to get to the bottom of this unusual phenomena, and they appeared oblivious to the fact they were saying Arks instead of Ask.

I don't think I have ever heard a white person say "Arks".
I'm not rascist btw. But I DO NOT support the BLM movement and...Craze basically.

It is a politically driven stunt. Of bloody course Black Lives Matter. All lives do. Anybody with half a witt has long figured that out.

Yet we need Lewis Hamilton preaching gospel on it, eyes watering with pride, and every professional footballer kneeling in pride before kick off to get this obscure message across...and the rest!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Does anyone say "Let's smoke" even when referring to vaping?

I dont say "Lets smoke" I'll say wanna take a few hits or something like that.

But yeah I mean to most people who ask, I will say I smoke weed or smoke daily etc, smoke before bed.... I typically use smoke in place of vape for day to day conversation, especially for those who I know have zero idea what a dry herb vape is.

My GF doesn't partake much but when shes talking about me vaping its always "smoking your device."

Alexis

I dont say "Lets smoke" I'll say wanna take a few hits or something like that.

But yeah I mean to most people who ask, I will say I smoke weed or smoke daily etc, smoke before bed.... I typically use smoke in place of vape for day to day conversation, especially for those who I know have zero idea what a dry herb vape is.

My GF doesn't partake much but when shes talking about me vaping its always "smoking your device."
You see I realise now I'm actually unexclusively true to definition, and in any roundabout way, I will always use a valid term for vaporization, never smoke terms or anything middle ground.

I have no issue or objection, in principle, to using "smoke" vaporizers etc, but I would only personally do so if it was loose jest, and those people knew for sure I was referring to vaporizing cannabis, not smoking it.

Just for the sake of authenticity I guess, but also because I have long passionately advocated the positives and increased medicinal benefits of vaporizing cannabis vs smoking.

"Vaporists Matter" lol!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
You see I realise now I'm actually unexclusively true to definition, and in any roundabout way, I will always use a valid term for vaporization, never smoke terms or anything middle ground.

I have no issue or objection, in principle, to using "smoke" vaporizers etc, but I would only personally do so if it was loose jest, and those people knew for sure I was referring to vaporizing cannabis, not smoking it.

Just for the sake of authenticity I guess, but also because I have long passionately advocated the positives and increased medicinal benefits of vaporizing cannabis vs smoking.

"Vaporists Matter" lol!

Thats makes sense to me, forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems like you're very into the medical/herbal/ maybe even spiritual/holistic aspect of things - so it makes complete sense to me that you use the actual, correct definition because I think you want to have a clear distinction between smoking and vaporizing.

I, on the other hand, almost never have any sort of conversation with anybody about medicinal effects or overall life effects, so I just stick to keeping things barney-style.

Alexis

Thats makes sense to me, forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems like you're very into the medical/herbal/ maybe even spiritual/holistic aspect of things - so it makes complete sense to me that you use the actual, correct definition because I think you want to have a clear distinction between smoking and vaporizing.

I, on the other hand, almost never have any sort of conversation with anybody about medicinal effects or overall life effects, so I just stick to keeping things barney-style.
Nothing to forgive, free speech bro, free speech. ;) lol. I welcome open thought sharing.

Indeed you are correct on that, I won't say you are wrong at all. But it's a bit simpler. It comes down to basic Truth! I can only be totally open, transparent, honest, and as close to true, real and authentic as possible.

In all things, by nature. But yes I do indeed also have a passion for promoting the medicinal benefits of cannabis, especially vaporizing.

strech

For me I usually form my terms around the conversation and what the other parties are using.

At home with the wife I will rarely use smoke terms unless referring to smoking. But if I'm with a friend and vapping I've been found to use smoke terms if that's what they are using in the conversation.

Kinda like when I drink with my wife's family. They use the term salute when downing a shot. When my american friends they all say Cheers.

will say I smoke weed or smoke daily
I like to use the term consume when talking generally about daily use. I consume a few hundred grams of thc each week in edibles on top of dabs and flower so consume is a better term for me.

Alexis

I like to use the term consume when talking generally about daily use. I consume a few hundred grams of thc each week in edibles on top of dabs and flower so consume is a better term for me.
Yes consume is A-okay. I use that if it comes to my tongue.

However I both vaporize and use edibles, so I naturally specify between the two, elaborating if necessary to make it obvious I am referring to vaporizing, not smoke, and not edibles.

I would not actually allow an image and belief to form in the imagination of somebody, that I will actually be smoking the weed. If I can't make that understood, by simple honest expression, I would probably not mention it at all.

But then, if ever I am free to openly talk about my cannabis use, I am equally free to be explicitly clear that the cannabis is vaporized. So I would never be in such a situation to cop out and let anyone believe I will smoke the weed. It would not be true, or accurate, so my nature would not allow it.

This is just me of course. I don't mean to impose.

strech

Well I do partake in the smoking of my flower on occasion. In fact since moving most of my vaping use to my email and extracts my flower use is now mainly joints. Its not something I do daily anymore.

Personally I'm at the point in my life I don't care what others think I'm doing with my cannabis. What is going on in others minds has never been much of my concern. If your close enough to know me and know I use then you'll most likely know I'm either enjoying an edible or a nice dab 98% of the time. The rest of the world can think whatever the fuck the want. They are not on my radar.

west-elec

We always used the term for someone who was hogging the joint, like 'Don't Bogart that thing, pass it around'. I thought it was from how Bogart used to hold his cigarettes cupped in his palm and suck it's guts out, like that guy in the joint circle everyone knows.😠

Top Bottom