TinyMight / TM 2

enrarit

Hey hey friends.
Faithful TM down on this sad eve. Hoping y’all can help. Was mid-use after a clean — standard set up — and noticed the cooling unit was sliding around loose in the glass pipe. (Time to change rubber bands)

But because I still had material in the tube, I used a a pencil’s eraser end to press the CU back down into the tube. Well, I musta pressed too firmly, because suddenly the CU depressed further than usual, and immediately the material inside started smoking and sparking. Yikes!!

Took the tube out, and yep: things looked different inside. I assumed I musta pressed a screen down where it shouldn’t have gone?But when I took it apart — more carefully than ever — I didn’t really find any missing screen.

When I completely remove the bits from the glass-tube chamber, I can see a metal mesh screen of sorts directly over the cooling unit. But it’s not an easily removable piece. Or a familiar one.

So I reassembled, but something isn’t right. It’s sorta working, but it keeps combusting. Material is clearly falling onto that last hot mesh bit and catching fire. Almost like I’m missing a screen or something?

Last, I could have sworn that in normal circumstances when I would peer down into the empty glass tube chamber, I would see a white (plastic?) square of sorts, sticking out from a screen or something? Apologies, my TM has been trouble free for ages, so I haven’t looked down there in a while. I could just be confusing pics I’ve seen of the bare heater.

Any ideas? I probably just don’t have it assembled right?

Thanks so much to alllllllll.
You've definitely come to the right place, plenty of knowledgeable members here that I'm sure will be more than happy to help out.

On that, a picture speaks a thousand words...can you take multiple well lit pics and post so we can get a much better understanding of the cause of your issue?

mpaulc

Re-post for clarity, plus a link to pics:

Hey hey friends.
Faithful TM down on this sad eve. Hoping y’all can help. Was mid-use after a clean — standard set up — and noticed the cooling unit was sliding around loose in the glass pipe. (Time to change rubber bands)

But because I still had material in the tube, I used a a pencil’s eraser end to press the CU back down into the tube toward the heater. Well, I musta pressed too firmly, because suddenly the CU depressed further than usual, and immediately the material inside started smoking and sparking. Yikes!!

I assumed I musta pressed a screen down where it shouldn’t have gone?

When I carefully disassembled it, removing all the bits that sit atop the heater, I didn't really find a missing screen. Yes, I can see a metal mesh screen of sorts directly over the heater. But it seems pretty comfy / isn't an easily removable piece.

So I reassembled, but something isn’t right. It’s working, but seems prone to combusting, which I've never had before in 2.5 years. Material is clearly falling onto that last hot mesh bit and catching fire. And strangely, it's hotter than it used to be -- using 2.5 vs 5.

Can't figure how to attach pics here (any help?), but here's a link to 3 pics I took of the inside:

Any ideas? I probably just don’t have it assembled right.

mpaulc,

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Re-post for clarity, plus a link to pics:

Hey hey friends.

But because I still had material in the tube, I used a a pencil’s eraser end to press the CU back down into the tube toward the heater. Well, I musta pressed too firmly, because suddenly the CU depressed further than usual, and immediately the material inside started smoking and sparking. Yikes!!

I assumed I musta pressed a screen down where it shouldn’t have gone?

When I carefully disassembled it, removing all the bits that sit atop the heater, I didn't really find a missing screen. Yes, I can see a metal mesh screen of sorts directly over the heater. But it seems pretty comfy / isn't an easily removable piece.

So I reassembled, but something isn’t right. It’s working, but seems prone to combusting, which I've never had before in 2.5 years. Material is clearly falling onto that last hot mesh bit and catching fire. And strangely, it's hotter than it used to be -- using 2.5 vs 5.

Can't figure how to attach pics here (any help?), but here's a link to 3 pics I took of the inside:

Any ideas? I probably just don’t have it assembled right.

Maybe I am misunderstanding - are you saying that your glass stem was still in your TM when you pushed from the other end on the cooling unit with a pencil eraser? I would never try to adjust or push on anything when the stem is inserted, so if that is what happened, I'd say there is your first problem.

Now, unscrew the tube holder then remove it, the red o-ring, and the metal tube, then you should be able to get at that screen properly. It is likely out of place, possibly pressed up against the heater. It likely needs to be taken out (cleaned) and re-seated properly.

mpaulc

Maybe I am misunderstanding - are you saying that your glass stem was still in your TM when you pushed from the other end on the cooling unit with a pencil eraser? I would never try to adjust or push on anything when the stem is inserted, so if that is what happened, I'd say there is your first problem.

Now, unscrew the tube holder then remove it, the red o-ring, and the metal tube, then you should be able to get at that screen properly. It is likely out of place, possibly pressed up against the heater. It likely needs to be taken out (cleaned) and re-seated properly.
Thanks for the reply WisePenny. Indeed that IS what I am regrettably saying, and I hear you. I was just rushing. I did indeed fully disassemble / reassemble. I could be crazy, but I seem to remember the screen being seated within one of those metal rings, correct? Am I crazy? I have two metal rings (almost large washers) with nothing in the center. The only screen-like thing I see is indeed directly atop the heater. Should that screen be inside one of those rings? If so, might need to order a replacement piece from the good folks at TM.

mpaulc,

beluga808

Thanks for the reply WisePenny. Indeed that IS what I am regrettably saying, and I hear you. I was just rushing. I did indeed fully disassemble / reassemble. I could be crazy, but I seem to remember the screen being seated within one of those metal rings, correct? Am I crazy? I have two metal rings (almost large washers) with nothing in the center. The only screen-like thing I see is indeed directly atop the heater. Should that screen be inside one of those rings? If so, might need to order a replacement piece from the good folks at TM.
Please take some photos. It makes it way easier for everyone to understand what's going on ;)

Edit: Just saw you already posted some, sorry.

beluga808,

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Yes- one of the screen should be seated inside of that 'ring-frame', you may be able to fit it back in

WisePenny,
Reactions: Momor

mpaulc

Please take some photos. It makes it way easier for everyone to understand what's going on ;)
I tried to attach them, but it's asking for a URL. So I tried uploading them to a Google drive, but it wouldn't accept that either. Apologies, guys. Here's a link to a folder of three pics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HgIdstJPQxRDEMR6ylLUCrCyGtf9pLD7

Yes- one of the screen should be seated inside of that 'ring-frame', you may be able to fit it back in
Thanks WisePenny. That is shirley shirley the ish.

mpaulc,

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Actually looking at mine now, you may have to disassemble partly to get at that screen and ring. . . be careful of the glass tube and the oring atop it when you take it apart.

Last edited:
WisePenny,

beluga808

Please check the post of @Hippy89 . It shows the ring+screen how it should look like.

beluga808,
Reactions: Momor

mpaulc

Please check the post of @Hippy89 . It shows the ring+screen how it should look like.
Thanks so much, Beluga, WisePenny, and everyone. I'll get my surgery on asap.

Hey all... when reassembling, which goes in first?... the metal ring w. the screen (which I've successfully reattached!) or the empty, slightly larger metal ring?

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Hey all... when reassembling, which goes in first?... the metal ring w. the screen (which I've successfully reattached!) or the empty, slightly larger metal ring?
The empty larger one. It sits on top of the heater glass holder, then the upper glass tube sits on top of it. It should all fit together nicely.
Then, the big o-ring (clear, or black) sits on top of the upper glass between it and the top plate. I find that it is easiest to seat the oring into the top plate first, and then put the top plate into place.

AndreG

I already have my TM. They only took three days to send it to me (I live in Barcelona Spain).

Before the first session is it necessary to clean the stem and the cooling unit? Or only the stem?

Soap and water is fine?

AndreG,

Marlox

Still feels smoother than Dynavap+MVS as that seems to tickle in the back of my throat and i hate that as it makes me cough mid draw. :lol:
No wonder, since you suck through all the small particles in a DV, and then they "hit" the mucous membrane in the throat.
To reduce this you can hold the tongue loosely in front of the hole, but delicious is different

Hey hey friends.

But because I still had material in the tube, I used a a pencil’s eraser end to press the CU back down into the tube. Well, I musta pressed too firmly, because suddenly the CU depressed further than usual, and immediately the material inside started smoking and sparking. Yikes!!

Took the tube out, and yep: things looked different inside. I assumed I musta pressed a screen down where it shouldn’t have gone?But when I took it apart — more carefully than ever — I didn’t really find any missing screen.

When I completely remove the bits from the glass-tube chamber, I can see a metal mesh screen of sorts directly over the cooling unit. But it’s not an easily removable piece. Or a familiar one.

So I reassembled, but something isn’t right. It’s sorta working, but it keeps combusting. Material is clearly falling onto that last hot mesh bit and catching fire. Almost like I’m missing a screen or something?

Last, I could have sworn that in normal circumstances when I would peer down into the empty glass tube chamber, I would see a white (plastic?) square of sorts, sticking out from a screen or something? Apologies, my TM has been trouble free for ages, so I haven’t looked down there in a while. I could just be confusing pics I’ve seen of the bare heater.

Sounds like you pressed the last screen inside the TM (that protects the heater-spiral) onto that spiral.
And maybe you even deformed the heater-spiral in a way that now there is a short between two of the windings.

You should:
Take out all the stainless tube and the glass tube, and even the ring and screen below them.
The screen should be absolutely flat (no dents) and the spiral below the screen should not touch itself on another winding.
Best would be if you could take a photo of the heater and post it here

Marlox,

ezpz

Before the first session is it necessary to clean the stem and the cooling unit? Or only the stem?

Soap and water is fine?
Definitely clean before initial use (don't want your first bowl to taste like machining oils).

@mpaulc
I hope you get your TM fixed soon. I'm curious to know how you use your TM. Cigar puffs? Session mode? The reason I ask is because of how dirty the inside chamber is. I've had my TM for almost 2 years of almost daily use, and it is no where near as dirty as yours. I hope you're not blowing in the mouthpiece as the "Warm Hands Pro" instructions suggest. 😂

Shorner

Definitely clean before initial use (don't want your first bowl to taste like machining oils).

@mpaulc
I hope you get your TM fixed soon. I'm curious to know how you use your TM. Cigar puffs? Session mode? The reason I ask is because of how dirty the inside chamber is. I've had my TM for almost 2 years of almost daily use, and it is no where near as dirty as yours. I hope you're not blowing in the mouthpiece as the "Warm Hands Pro" instructions suggest. 😂
I agree it looks nasty, mines 6 months old and really clean.

mpaulc

@mpaulc
Hey there. Hard to say! Mines a couple years old, too. Lots and lots of pain-free use. I will say that it took a slight beating in his latest episode. Flaming material everywhere. But she’s working solidly again, thanks to everyone’s help!

Zipford

Hey hey friends.

There are only two screens that I'm aware of: the one on the CU, against which you pack herb, and then the heater screen in the device that prevents anything from hitting the heating element. It sounds like material is falling onto the heater screen, and you may just need to take the heater screen out, clean what you can and then reassemble and pack your herb a little tighter so it doesn't fall out of the stem and onto the heater screen. While that screen should catch most things, little bits could have fallen onto the heating element, causing that burnt smell.

Maybe when you have the heater screen out, hold the device upside down and blow gently up into the device to help dislodge any crumbs.

You do not want to mess with the actual heating element, it is apparently a major pain to get back in place if you dislodge it.

Yes, that screen should be held in the metal rings, not sitting on the heating element.

Zipford,

enrarit

Hey there. Hard to say! Mines a couple years old, too. Lots and lots of pain-free use. I will say that it took a slight beating in his latest episode. Flaming material everywhere. But she’s working solidly again, thanks to everyone’s help!
See?

Told you you'd get sorted out here!

Cheers and glad to hear you're making clouds once again!

enrarit,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I already have my TM. They only took three days to send it to me (I live in Barcelona Spain).

Soap and water is fine?
It should be ready to rip. Could just dip the glass and CU in soupy warm water initially for a quick bath

My first TM back from the start of 2020 I used right away without cleaning, didn't notice anything, but when I got my second TM in early 2021 I took proper precautions and fully cleaned everything... Found plenty of machine oil residue on the iso soaked organic cotton bamboo qtips I used to scrub every internal metal part (I took the screen and retainer ring out to soak and rinse fully along with the metal tube and o-ring) I actually have not yet cleaned the cooling unit though because I'm just using it at home with WPA for now and I never cleaned my original yet either haha so I've never cleaned a cooling unit yet, but I'd recommend it! :tup:

Top Bottom