The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

humbuckers

@Brenyo think this was asked before, but would dosing capsules be an option at any point?
Reload is nice, but there's times when I can't take it with me, so I resort back to a Dynavap and it's dosing capsules.

They could maybe have a few holes in the side to help get the airflow in from the side of the bowl.
Titanium obviously so they can be colour coded 😆
Do any existing capsules fit the tempest? Perhaps glass balls and a higher wand temp would compensate for the capsule. I have no capsules to experiment with

humbuckers,

coolbreeze

expensive but I could see having extra bowl/heads pre loaded for quick back to backs or sharing.
or...
vaphit-ss-circle-x3-triple-adapter-for-dynavap-tips-uk-411795.webp

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
expensive but I could see having extra bowl/heads pre loaded for quick back to backs or sharing.
I don't know, it's a pretty easy load. I would think swapping out the bowl would take longer than twist or suck loading the bowl.

cybrguy,

budski

cantre member
I'm picturing a folding leather wallet with 4 de-bowler/head & bowl assembly pockets and 1-2 stems in a sleeve, would be awsome for a hike or outing.

bellona0544

I would use a capsule just for hash or concentrates. The herb is super easy to load/unload
This is what I do. I have some Dynavap-sized dosing capsules that I got from VGoodiez and I'll load them with flower and hash. The extra metal provides some conduction for the hash which makes for delicious, steamy hits.

I'm now a few weeks into my love affair with the Tempest and it is still everything I wanted it to be.

Edit: I got the dosing capsules specifically for windy days when I don't want to accidentally lose a bunch of flower while loading my DVs or now my Tempest. They really are great for hiking and kayaking!

bellona0544,
Reactions: .d

humbuckers

I find the DV capsules a big meh on the tempest since they are too small.
Also the point for me would be to use hash without flower
Would half bowl on the tempest fit a capsule better? I enjoy the hits on the half bowl more than full. Finding I can pack half bowl overflowing a good bit and still get great hits. Full bowl wasn’t as friendly to overpacking

humbuckers,

Hms34

Given that I missed the recent drop, does it make sense to buy a Tempest head with the standard balls, and use it on one of my Dynavap M stems?

Not sure which torch I'd use.... BTW, my Dynavaps got much better when I added the Armored Cap and TRWW Pinner, except for a slight metallic taste. Dani Fusion 2- I had buyer's remorse. It wasn't all that for me. Went back to mostly smoking J's.

Hoping the Tempest might be the answer....or at least the Tempest head, for now.

Hms34,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Given that I missed the recent drop, does it make sense to buy a Tempest head with the standard balls, and use it on one of my Dynavap M stems?
I suspect a Tempest is going to run pretty warm on a standard vapcap stem. I think a Revolve stem would be a better choice, or something else with really good cooling. And of course a Tempest head is wonderful on a glass piece, especially with water. That's how I always use it at home.

Not sure which torch I'd use.... BTW, my Dynavaps got much better when I added the Armored Cap and TRWW Pinner, except for a slight metallic taste. Dani Fusion 2- I had buyer's remorse. It wasn't all that for me. Went back to mostly smoking J's.

Hoping the Tempest might be the answer....or at least the Tempest head, for now.

The Dynavap stem would probably get way too hot and vapor would be hot too, may have better luck with a different 8mm stem in glass or wood with an intercooler. I used to run my Tempest on a VonG through glass all the time but the vapor was too hot for myself used natively. That’s where the Tempest stem itself comes in really well is that it cools as good as a bong.

Edit: or as mentioned above a revolve stem would work great it’s almost just like the tempest except it has the reclaim screen, but no heat shield so the titanium would get pretty hot through you could use a glass or wood sleeve

BudderMilkJesus,
Reactions: Hms34

kokolokokolokon

Would half bowl on the tempest fit a capsule better? I enjoy the hits on the half bowl more than full. Finding I can pack half bowl overflowing a good bit and still get great hits. Full bowl wasn’t as friendly to overpacking
Well, if you find a capsule with a good diameter to use it on the tempest you just would need to cut it or something like that (i would do that 🤣)

HaggisHunter

Main reason why I was asking about capsules is I travel light quite a bit, I know the tempest is really easy to load/unload etc, but if a reload won't physically fit then it doesn't fit.
Recently I've been using my Dynavap more when I'm out and about, so I take a slim tube with a DV, a wand and a tube of capsules, and it all fits my pocket, the reload doesn't.

Sometimes the reload doesn't suit the situation either.

My Mrs has no issue with cannabis, shes actually glad I use it as she knows how much it helps me.
But when we're out and about, she can feel a little uneasy when I crack open a pot that instantly fills the air with the smell of weed, if I'm using dosing capsules, she can't smell them at all and she doesn't get the same uneasy feelings about it.

She's cool about it, and wishes everyone else was the same but she knows that's not the case.

Overall I'm not a fan of capsules, but they do have a place.

MislavKO

For me, tempest is not really a discrete device. I have electric vapes that I use for those situations (with dosing capsules). MJ is not legal where i live so I try to be as low key as possible. That's why I still have a Pax 2 and use it sometimes

SockPuppetTheatrics

I experimented with dosing capsules a while ago when someone asked about them and found that the VGoodiEZ (mesh) DV dosing caps were ok but not great in the Tempest; the machined (OEM / Ed's TNT) capsules restricted airflow through the cap, so you just end up sucking heated air through the gap around the capsule and not really cooking the herb. IDK if HyperDyn dosing capsules would be a better fit (don't own one).

Regardless, I usually take the Venty with dosing caps as an on-the-go device. It's not exactly pocketable, but it's logistically much more convenient and doesn't require technique or concentration. I prefer to give the Tempest my full attention.

kokolokokolokon

IDK if HyperDyn dosing capsules would be a better fit (don't own one).
They doesn’t fit. The size is the same than fury2/v3pro capsules

This is for people who wants to keep the calibration housing and the ss layer “silver”.

You can immerse the Layer and the housing (without discs or VI) in white vinegar for 2 days. This will make them return to their original color.
This is well known.
But in this version, if you don't use a sponge or anything like that to remove traces of dirt after removing the pieces from the vinegar (which will look like new), you take them out with tweezers and immerse them for a while in water (at normal temperature) or in an ultrasonic cleaner with water, it seems that it has some kind of reaction that makes these pieces more resistant to color change.

Basically: inmerse the pieces on white vinegar for 2 days > do nothing except inmerse them on water for a moment.

In this post you can see the results after ~20 wand heat ups and 8 triple flame heat ups:

You can notice a difference between the housing and the layer…this is because I sanded it the first time I tried this, just with the layer. In the first attempt I used a magic sponge immediately after the vinegar bath to see if there was any residual dirt on the layer. This made some scratches which get a little ugly after time, but the rest of the layer was shinny like new after the heat ups (the result you can see in the housing).

The next one was the result the first time, just with the layer. You can notice the rare scratches but, at the same time, you can see the shinny results in the rest of the layer.

I will try the inductor as extreme test, but it stands the wand and the triple torch. I will also share a video showing how I heat it up with the torch and the color at the end on the heat up.

General Disaster

A Total disMember
I love a bit of Indian charas but it's been so long since I've seen it. In my mind the flavour stands up to any of the good modern hash I've had. But maybe I remember it tasting so good compared to anything I'd had at the time and now things are different.
I have the good fortune to have a friend who knows a weed farmer in the Goan mountains, and he brings some back a few times a year. This is the sort the farmer makes by hand, takes him up to a couple days to produce about 10g's! Sheesh!
Actually I'm not even sure what the temp it, I thought it was 240°C but Google just told me its 215. Either way far too close for me.
I've seen figures around 250℃ for rayon. But you also need to consider the hash is at the top, the rayon at the bottom of the bowl. To get the Tempest hot enough to raise the rayon up to those temperatures would take crazy heating! Way way past weed combustion temps. I've used hash and concentrate and never seen any scorching, never mind burning, only the slight discolouration from the volatile oils being vapourised.
You can also use vaping cotton which ignites just over 400℃ which is well clear if you're worried about combustion.
There is so much to like here. I really want this vape to be the best portable ball vape out there (because for this price point thats where it should sit).
I think that's not the best way to look at it tbh. You're paying for the product, the materials, design, construction, quality control, but you're not paying for the best portable vape in the world because there's no such thing. It's all a compromise of different factors, some matter to you more, some less.
Maybe, you just happen to prefer the more conductive nature of the stinger & TA?

Last edited:
Any plans to ever make this bad boy in Stainless Steel? I had to sell my Tempest even though it was one of my favorites due to a sensitivity to titanium.

BudderMilkJesus,
Reactions: Hms34

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Any plans to ever make this bad boy in Stainless Steel? I had to sell my Tempest even though it was one of my favorites due to a sensitivity to titanium.
It's not planned in the near future unfortunately.

@Brenyo think this was asked before, but would dosing capsules be an option at any point?
Reload is nice, but there's times when I can't take it with me, so I resort back to a Dynavap and it's dosing capsules.
At some point maybe, I'm not working on it atm.

Top Bottom