The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Fox

Hi, the tinkerer in me is wondering whether there would be an advantage when heating with IH if there was a metal (spiral spring) in the middle of the balls to build up energy directly inside. Brenyo?

Fox,

HaggisHunter

For me, tempest is not really a discrete device.
I think it's pretty discreet, at a beer garden or something like that, it certainly feels more discreet than my mates mighty, in my opinion.

It's heated and useable in under a minute, then stashed away pretty quick when I need to, due to it's profile, it doesn't raise any eyebrows from other people around while it's in use, to many it probably looks like a regular e-cig.
At some point maybe, I'm not working on it atm.
Sound, I get there's probably more pressing thing a going on 😁

HaggisHunter,
Reactions: .d

General Disaster

A Total disMember
Hi, the tinkerer in me is wondering whether there would be an advantage when heating with IH if there was a metal (spiral spring) in the middle of the balls to build up energy directly inside. Brenyo?
Not a physics expert, but I doubt much if any of the magnetic field would get past the sleeve. Maybe with a non inductable sleeve?

Fox

Not a physics expert, but I doubt much if any of the magnetic field would get past the sleeve. Maybe with a non inductable sleeve?
I've asked myself this question too, but I don't have a definitive answer other than that I don't know how far the field extends inward.

This is correct. The cap shields the inductive field.
After an experiment with my IH, it turns out that the energy is shielded by the outer shell. Thanks for the conversation!

Fox,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
There is such a thing as 'RF-transparency' which determines the interaction between a material and how it reacts to the RF field. This is fairly easy to test. Measure the current with an 'idle' IH and then insert the material in question into the coil and see if the current changes. A good example to do this with is aluminum, as it won't blow up your IH and you will see that aluminum is somewhat transparent to these fields.

Most inductively coupled operations talk of 'skin depth'. This is how deep into the material the electrons are disturbed by the oscillating magnetic fields.

kokolokokolokon

Triple flame, Sic balls, hash (just hash, no herb, no cotton), no discoloration.

I realize I did a long heat up. In this tempest the calibration is high. It takes a lot of time from the second to third line, but it is great for me. It allows me to vape tiny amounts of hash (like in this video) with great results.
And it is good to test the color. More flame exposure
In the end and it takes less time since I use it on a mtl position, getting a little of conduction faster

Edit: another thing i notice is there´s no glowing on the layer

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Total disMember
I've asked myself this question too, but I don't have a definitive answer other than that I don't know how far the field extends inward.
If the field extended past the induction sleeve then it wouldn't be nearly so efficient. To my best knowledge (though not great!) the mag field causes eddy currents in the surface of the inductance sleeve, it doesn't significantly penetrate through the whole sleeve never mind beyond (but I may be wrong, can't be bothered to read up right now).
My gut says that the biggest surface area to volume relationship is likely the most efficient and fast way to transfer energy from the inductor to the sleeve. I had thoughts about vertical steel rods inside the matrix, but I think the shape (poor surface area) would negate any advantages over the sleeve.

dude_de

Now that I've had a Tempest head sitting on my Revolve Gen2 for a couple of weeks, I have found my perfect setup. I am a bit cough-happy when the vapor is on the harsher and/or hotter side. I found I prefer long, slow direct to lung draws.

So here is how I set things up: airflow control on the head fully open, screen set to half-bowl position, stem set to bypass or open (usually bypass) and airport left open. Ever since George from Dynavap explained to Troy & Jerry how the M+ is designed to be used with open airport, I have not touched an airport and my experience has improved dramatically, with the Dynavaps and also with Tempest.

I have the Wand set to 520F and let it time out. That puts the VI perfectly on the second mark. When it drops below the first mark, I give it another 12-15 seconds in the Wand for the second heatup.

The Revolve stem works great with the Tempest head. When it is set to open, only the fin area gets hot, on bypass the heat creeps down the stem a bit more but not uncomfortably so. The area above the mouthpiece remains perfectly cool.

So, over the last 10 days or so, the Tempest has become my most-used-device. Did not expect that :-)

garett

Guys i need help. I tried to install the new click discs and VI which i got a few days ago. I disassabled the old VI and Disc, but i cant get the new click discs in. Whatever i does not fit, its always a bit diagonal, one side perfect, other side to high. And i didnt even start with the hard part, the VI. I dont want use a lot of force, it seems so easy with the instruction video. Is there an easy trick? Please help me out.

garett,

kokolokokolokon

@garett it can be a little tricky. There is like a ring that prevents the normal passage of the discs. But there is an area without this "ring" through which the discs can enter. It's probably the part where the discs are half left out. You must introduce them with some inclination through that area

garett

@garett it can be a little tricky. There is like a ring that prevents the normal passage of the discs. But there is an area without this "ring" through which the discs can enter. It's probably the part where the discs are half left out. You must introduce them with some inclination through that area
OMG thank you so much. It worked first try. I have not recognised this little ring.
Good, now comes the tricky part, the VI. Lets see.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
My wand and tempest went on a night out.

Something clicked, and it was not just my cap. Was getting really good performance smooth tasty hits with no charing, no off tastes. Really glad i stuck with it now.

So what changed? Well i adjusted the wand adapter by a few mm. I pushed it up so not quite so much of the cap was heated. Only by a few mm. I had been following the pictures on the mad heaters website, but a little makes a lot of difference. My guess was the IH was heating the bottom ball screen a little before.

I also think thats why the flare does not work well with the tempest, the depth is all wrong.

I think i also got better at timing with the wand.

Hoping thats cracked it, hoping for consistent results now.

AndyO

Are others having issue breaking their wand adapter? It seems just a little too tight. I've been trying to adjust mine today, and I've pretty much stuck my little finger straight through it.

How? It doesn't gunk up. It wasn't on, so there was no expansion or anything. I'm so confused.

AndyO,

larfy

I have the good fortune to have a friend who knows a weed farmer in the Goan mountains, and he brings some back a few times a year. This is the sort the farmer makes by hand, takes him up to a couple days to produce about 10g's! Sheesh!

I've seen figures around 250℃ for rayon. But you also need to consider the hash is at the top, the rayon at the bottom of the bowl. To get the Tempest hot enough to raise the rayon up to those temperatures would take crazy heating! Way way past weed combustion temps. I've used hash and concentrate and never seen any scorching, never mind burning, only the slight discolouration from the volatile oils being vapourised.
You can also use vaping cotton which ignites just over 400℃ which is well clear if you're worried about combustion.

I think that's not the best way to look at it tbh. You're paying for the product, the materials, design, construction, quality control, but you're not paying for the best portable vape in the world because there's no such thing. It's all a compromise of different factors, some matter to you more, some less.
Maybe, you just happen to prefer the more conductive nature of the stinger & TA?
Wow your a lucky duck to have access to charas. I've only ever had the lower grade stuff and that was almost 20 years ago. Still remember the taste as the best hash I've ever had. Who knows how it would compare to the stuff I get these days but in my mind the charas is better. Actually I recently had some acapulco gold hash that was low quality but I absolutely loved the taste and effects, I now remember the acapulco gold as 1 of my favourites. So maybe my memory of the charas being so good is correct.

Yeah I'd be much more comfortable with cotton that can go up to 400°c. I have used cotton quite a lot although not for a while. It does a really good job but I think I still prefer using mesh. They both do a good job so I guess it's just which you prefer. I think I've noticed a taste from the cotton before and I'm not sure how I feel about bits of the cotton potentially staying dry instead of getting completely soaked in resin. Also I like that I can make a bunch of basket screen dosing caps with hash melted into it so it's ready to go

larfy,

Skyler

Hey everyone, first post here but been lurking a long time, used to read about MLFBs on here as a youngster haha. Got a tempest last week and absolutely loving it, received a dynavap rowynd the next day and haven’t used it at all. I do have one question though, dropped the tempest a few inches on the counter top yesterday and when I picked it up I noticed a rattle. Took the balls out, and still noticing the rattle. It’s in the head, sounds like the click discs and I honestly can’t remember if they made a rattle before? If anyone could verify, I would appreciate it!

MislavKO

Hey everyone, first post here but been lurking a long time, used to read about MLFBs on here as a youngster haha. Got a tempest last week and absolutely loving it, received a dynavap rowynd the next day and haven’t used it at all. I do have one question though, dropped the tempest a few inches on the counter top yesterday and when I picked it up I noticed a rattle. Took the balls out, and still noticing the rattle. It’s in the head, sounds like the click discs and I honestly can’t remember if they made a rattle before? If anyone could verify, I would appreciate it!
The balls rattle in the head (as intended). Im not sure about the click discs, I can see mine trough the VI slot when i put it upside down. I think that is completely normal

Skyler

The balls rattle in the head (as intended). Im not sure about the click discs, I can see mine trough the VI slot when i put it upside down. I think that is completely normal
Cool, thank you! I thought so, but this is the first new non-dynnavap in a few years so just trying to make sure I’m not over here breaking stuff haha. I did notice the rattle goes away after they click so must be them. Thank you again.

Skyler,
Reactions: MislavKO

Feyd2blak

Are others having issue breaking their wand adapter? It seems just a little too tight. I've been trying to adjust mine today, and I've pretty much stuck my little finger straight through it.

How? It doesn't gunk up. It wasn't on, so there was no expansion or anything. I'm so confused.
Not sure what you mean, the white rubber thing that the glass adaptor sits in? Assuming you didn't break the glass part with your little finger?! Never had any issues with the adaptor at all

Feyd2blak,

MislavKO

Cool, thank you! I thought so, but this is the first new non-dynnavap in a few years so just trying to make sure I’m not over here breaking stuff haha. I did notice the rattle goes away after they click so must be them. Thank you again.
No problem, I asked the same question few weeks ago when i got mine 😅

MislavKO,
Reactions: Skyler
Top Bottom