The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

General Disaster

A Total disMember
Wow your a lucky duck to have access to charas.
Dontcha know it! A rare priviledge these days, since it's not intended for export (it's too good to let us filthy foreigners get our sweaty little hands on it! 😄). But the charas isn't the top grade, as good as it is. My mate's farmer friend also makes what they call simply 'cream'. This is the very first rub of the oiliest buds and has noticeably higher oil content, but as I think I mentioned above, it won't crumble very well. The charas is good enough that breaking a suitable little lump off and just squeezing it between fingers for a minute or so causes it to start crumbling without further heat, and makes much finer crumbs than many other hashes I've tried.
I have used cotton quite a lot although not for a while. It does a really good job but I think I still prefer using mesh. They both do a good job so I guess it's just which you prefer.
Absolutely, I only give my method as suggestion, not because it's the best!
The mesh has the disadvantage of letting a small amount of solid through messing up the vape a little more than otherwise, and it also takes some heat away so may reduce the efficiency (though whether enough to notice is another matter).
I also really like using the rayon/cotton with concentrate, using it to wrap around a blob on the end of a spatula and pulling it off into a little sandwich so no oil is exposed, and just dropping it in the bowl. Also really handy to prepare a few of those before hand to take outdoors as an easy and covert way to load refills.

Just one point, and you're probably already aware, but make sure it's properly prepared cotton for wicking, as used in nicotine vapes sometimes.

General Disaster,
Reactions: larfy

humbuckers

If the reload had a magnet on the bottom and an additional magnet other side of cap that would be so great.

Use existing reload magnet on opposite end, level it with bottom. Add another magnet inside of the cap, level to the end. The tool (flathead de-bowler) might have to be shorter so this magnet can be appropriate length.

Using new magnet system…stick cap to bottom, load herb, screw on cap, dislocate new magnets

add1noob

Dontcha know it! A rare priviledge these days, since it's not intended for export (it's too good to let us filthy foreigners get our sweaty little hands on it! 😄). But the charas isn't the top grade, as good as it is. My mate's farmer friend also makes what they call simply 'cream'. This is the very first rub of the oiliest buds and has noticeably higher oil content, but as I think I mentioned above, it won't crumble very well. The charas is good enough that breaking a suitable little lump off and just squeezing it between fingers for a minute or so causes it to start crumbling without further heat, and makes much finer crumbs than many other hashes I've tried.

Absolutely, I only give my method as suggestion, not because it's the best!
The mesh has the disadvantage of letting a small amount of solid through messing up the vape a little more than otherwise, and it also takes some heat away so may reduce the efficiency (though whether enough to notice is another matter).
I also really like using the rayon/cotton with concentrate, using it to wrap around a blob on the end of a spatula and pulling it off into a little sandwich so no oil is exposed, and just dropping it in the bowl. Also really handy to prepare a few of those before hand to take outdoors as an easy and covert way to load refills.

Just one point, and you're probably already aware, but make sure it's properly prepared cotton for wicking, as used in nicotine vapes sometimes.
I’m heading to a place with access to a lot of cheap charas, and I plan to use it with the Tempest. Since I won’t be able to clean it often, I’m considering using either cotton or hemp as a filter. Do you recommend any specific type of cotton? I was looking into vaping cotton for safety reasons. Also, what are the benefits of using cotton over hemp? Alternatively, I’m thinking of buying a bulk pack of screens but I’m unsure what size to get or how to use them effectively with hash.

add1noob,

Minsc_NBoo

Ok I did the same process with another SS layer, a non sanded one, and I tested it with the Inductor, since it is very aggressive and used to make my tempest glowing easily.
Constant heating. 21V. And it glows less than before.

1- herb, 2- hash, 3- results.
Clouds!

That is just ridiculous! I got high from just watching the video

I've got some node CBD hash at the moment, and it's great in the Tempest. It's very squidgy, but it doesn't melt, so I just make little tiny balls of hash and fill the bowl halfway

Last edited:

Electrofever

But the charas isn't the top grade, as good as it is. My mate's farmer friend also makes what they call simply 'cream'.
That small part in your sentence made me shiver a little :clap: Real charras made in a traditional way must have something special about it, you lucky guy, but the Cream you talk about must be something else ! (Sorry, I know I’m off topic, but I couldn’t let that one passe without saying anything :D) Hope you enjoy !

Edit : just read the remaining messages and discovered @Radwin Bodnic had the same feeling :drool: !

larfy

That small part in your sentence made me shiver a little :clap: Real charras made in a traditional way must have something special about it, you lucky guy, but the Cream you talk about must be something else ! (Sorry, I know I’m off topic, but I couldn’t let that one passe without saying anything :D) Hope you enjoy !

Edit : just read the remaining messages and discovered @Radwin Bodnic had the same feeling :drool: !
Tbh I think what makes charas special is the genetics of the plants they use more than the technique of making it. Modern hash making techniques have improved hash but modern genetics seem to be a downgrade in some ways. The best smokes I've had in my life are almost always hash and always the old school genetics. For example I recently had a lump of fresh frozen sift hash it tasted great and the effects were good it was made from a strain called blueberry crumble, but there's nothing memorable about it. In a decade I'd be surprised if I remember experiencing it. Compared to the charas I smoked 20 years ago, or the acapulco gold I had recently that I'll never forget

General Disaster

A Total disMember
I think this is getting a little off-topic, so apologies to all and I'll leave it at this...

I'm sure some strains are better for hash production than others, but the special thing about the cream is it's essentially a concentrate made without solvents or tools. It's all hand rubbed of the the buds, each 'medallion' (disk about 2" diameter, thin at edges, about ¼" thick at the middle) is around 8 to 10 grams, the guy gently rubs/squeezes the stickiest deposits onto his palm, and gradually builds it up into a solid lump, eventually becoming a disk as described, and takes up to 2 days for a large-ish one!
That's serious labour! The charas is made the same way, but uses the next best buds after the cream, otherwise I think it's little different in the making, slowly rubbing off the oiliest deposits of terpenoids and the like in the palms of the hands to build-up into a consistent lump. I think it needs a strain that's particularly oily for best results, and I believe the Kerulan strain used is a full indica landrace, but I don't know much more about the details.

The production methods will also effect the nature of the hash as well as the strain, so putting the same strain/batch through two different production methods could give different effects (as well as the obvious change of appearance and form).
So it was indeed an eye-opener that the strongest doesn't always mean the bestest! Or at least not in all circumstances.

Do you recommend any specific type of cotton? I was looking into vaping cotton for safety reasons. Also, what are the benefits of using cotton over hemp?
I went for vaping cotton, that especially prepared for use as a wick in nicotine vapes. A lot of materials are never intended for use like this and contain all sorts of additives and/or contaminants.
I've heard hemp is a possible, but I'd judge the prep methods and subsequent cleaning (in it's manufacture) are as important. I don't know what the ignition temperature of hemp is, but considering how easy it is to combust flower, I'd judge the combustion risks are higher than cotton and likely rayon too.
I sourced it from a nicotine vape online shop (over in UK but must be some more local to you), since the use as a wick in those types of vape is maybe closest to dry herb vaping than most other uses (hence if considered safe(er?)) for that, then likely safer for cannabis vaping?

Last edited:

Singularity Walker

If the reload had a magnet on the bottom and an additional magnet other side of cap that would be so great.

Use existing reload magnet on opposite end, level it with bottom. Add another magnet inside of the cap, level to the end. The tool (flathead de-bowler) might have to be shorter so this magnet can be appropriate length.

Using new magnet system…stick cap to bottom, load herb, screw on cap, dislocate new magnets
You can sort of do this now just throwing a Mad Magnet in the bottom chamber of the reload. The magnet on the cap is strong enough top side up to connect to a magnet in that chamber. The bottom side of the cap still has enough magnetism + the indent of the Tempest remover that will work to hold the head.
I already had such magnets in the bottom chambers of my reloads so they stick to my rolling tray repurposed as a vape station.

Singularity Walker,

RedZep

Are others having issue breaking their wand adapter? It seems just a little too tight. I've been trying to adjust mine today, and I've pretty much stuck my little finger straight through it.

How? It doesn't gunk up. It wasn't on, so there was no expansion or anything. I'm so confused.it
It's much easier to push it through using the Tempest itself.

AndyO

It's much easier to push it through using the Tempest itself.

My thinking was that putting that much pressure on it might get all the bits forced together a little more tightly? But I guess you and Brenyo wouldn't be suggesting I do it if this were the case...

AndyO,
Reactions: RedZep

RxPlorer

Been outta the loop a while. What’s this I’m hearing about Tempest being out of stock for the next 9+ months?

RxPlorer,

General Disaster

A Total disMember
They are out of stock for the next 9+ months! 😏

(but if you really want one, there are head/bowls left, grab a sleeveless revolve, a wooden sleeve, and you've got one near as damnit!
Or if money no problem, get a Tempest Revolve upgrade and a sleeveless Revolve)

General Disaster,
Reactions: coolbreeze

RedZep

My thinking was that putting that much pressure on it might get all the bits forced together a little more tightly? But I guess you and Brenyo wouldn't be suggesting I do it if this were the case...
I thought that too. But it works really well. I think it evenly spreads the pressure. I used to push it through with my thumb, and it would seem like the insert or my thumb was going to break.

RedZep,
Reactions: AndyO
Top Bottom