The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
I also had zirc balls I couldn't get white again. 2-3 cracked open while torching in an attempt of trying to get them clean again.
Balls were used quite heavy so can't blame them. This happened after almost a year of use.
Shouldn't hurt much to have them replaced from time to time.
And SiC balls on the side as a reserve, or if you wanna spice things up.

Example...can't get these any whiter for now. Trying days long kitchen degreaser soak, and later burn off again. 2 rubies mixed in...

Last edited:

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub
At less than 100 bowls I haven't had the honour of cleaning my balls yet...

Anybody tried cleaning balls in small ziplocks with ISO and an ultrasonic cleaner?
I was thinking hot water then ultrasonic ISO bath then hot water, torching seems excessive and I've never had a good experience torch cleaning anything so far, so I wanted to try either this or the dishwasher soap from the manual.

Should work, no? Hope I can get them back sparkly white again.
I also had zirc balls I couldn't get white again. 2-3 cracked open while torching in an attempt of trying to get them clean again.
Balls were used quite heavy so can't blame them. This happened after almost a year of use.
Shouldn't hurt much to have them replaced from time to time.
And SiC balls on the side as a reserve, or if you wanna spice things up.

Example...can't get these any whiter for now. Trying days long kitchen degreaser soak, and later burn off again. 2 rubies mixed in...
Haven't found any information on replacing balls (from wear and tear) on the site, just cleaning tips.
I'm sure they can't last too long with all the temperature changes they are subjected to, but it is strong material... boro balls cleaning scares me even more :D

Last edited:
.d,

kokolokokolokon

How do you vape hash with the tempest?
How much hash you use?
Do you use cotton, ryon or Hemp fibres?
400c Till time out or till wand stops blinking?

Depends on what kind of hash. If it is traditional morocan hash you dont need nothing. I just "grind" it with my hands and i use the wand sideways.
If it is some kind of oily hash then I use a thin strip of cotton, just a layer, like this:

I use this to avoid a big change on the flavor and a cleaning mess. First heat up with the wand upside down and the tempest on a vertical position, then i use the wand sideways.
Other method i tried to avoid cotton is to use a 10mm glass creen on the top of the chamber. I dont introduce it, i set it just on top to be able to remove it after the bowl. You can stick a strip of oily hash on the glass screen. This way you can use it on the wand just like herb. Maybe this combines more with the solid screen i use.

About the wand: Depending on how much you want to extend the bowl, but I set it on 400C until it stops blinking and just a little more. With a low adapter setting (mtl position as the manual says).

And 1/2 of the tempest top airflow.

I will share images today

General Disaster

A Total disMember
Haven't found any information on replacing balls on the site, just cleaning tips.
There's a vid on the Tempest Manual page on HM's website that describes doing just that task.
Titled: "Replacing the balls", about half way down the page.

If it is some kind of oily hash then I use a thin strip of cotton, just a layer, like this:
FYI: Be careful to make sure the cotton is suitable for this sort of use. Not all materials are cleaned enough to have no chemical residues that can also vape off at temperature.

I've found the rayon used for a wick with nicotine/PG/VG vapes is pretty good, and prepared specifically for that use.
This is UK based, but just to show the sort of thing, I'm sure there are local suppliers wherever you are...
www.cremedevape.com

Cellucotton wick material - Rayon - 1m

www.cremedevape.com

Last edited:

kokolokokolokon

FYI: Be careful to make sure the cotton is suitable for this sort of use. Not all materials are cleaned enough to have no chemical residues that can also vape off at temperature.

I've found the rayon used for a wick with nicotine/PG/VG vapes is pretty good, and prepared specifically for that use.
This is UK based, but just to show the sort of thing, I'm sure there are local suppliers wherever you are...
In theory they are for vaping. The thing i like of this strips is you can cut them nice and they have no "wild hairs" like the cellucotton you shares and the normal cotton (it is just the form factor). With those "wild hairs" I notice much more the change on the flavor.
A point about the cotton/cellucotton for eliquids is they are "prepared" for a wet use. When you use it with hash, apllying high temp, you are using it dry (even when a hash melts a little, there are dry cotton parts).

I´m looking for a method without cotton/fiber to use oily hash. That´s why i talked about the 10m glass screen. But i need to find something more practical to be able to do multiple oily hash bowls without problem, just removing the hash.

General Disaster

A Total disMember
In theory they are for vaping. The thing i like of this strips is you can cut them nice and they have no "wild hairs" like the cellucotton you shares and the normal cotton (it is just the form factor). With those "wild hairs" I notice much more the change on the flavor.
A point about the cotton/cellucotton for eliquids is they are "prepared" for a wet use. When you use it with hash, apllying high temp, you are using it dry (even when a hash melts a little, there are dry cotton parts).

I´m looking for a method without cotton/fiber to use oily hash. That´s why i talked about the 10m glass screen. But i need to find something more practical to be able to do multiple oily hash bowls without problem, just removing the hash.
Re: 'hairy cotton'...
Ah, you have a functioning olfactory system it sounds like! Smells and tastes mean little to me as I barely can detect even a combust (and even then only on the exhale if I do pick it up). I couldn't tell from a quick look but no apparent sign the cotton was suitable for this or not.

But my point was less the actual product but the principle of some materials (inc. cotton, rayon) containing some thoroughly nasty shite, and most definitely not good for vaping! It also was aimed at others thinking of trying it. e.g. some methods of rayon manufacture use some really nasty chemicals and it's not thoroughly cleaned afterwards, or maybe enough for making cloth, but not vaping.
I think (but can't say 100%) they are less 'prepared' for wet, more made suitable for it, and it's the cleanliness that matters most. Obviously you can over heat it, but you need to go well above weed combustion temps. I've never seen more than a slight brown 'scorch' mark on it, on the underside (so not where the hottest air is first touching it) and that's most likely more due to terpenoid degradation rather than the cellulose breaking down.

larfy

Have you tried using a 10mm basket screen instead of cotton?

Basically the mesh in the basket screen acts like a sponge for the resin in the hash. If the hash is very melty you might need an extra 1 or 2 screens inside the basket to make a sponge with more capacity so it doesn't drip out the bottom.

The first thing you have to do is get the hash bubbling, I use a single flame on the outside of the bowl before I put the cap on. Then using a stir tool, stir the melted hash around the bowl so the resin sticks all over the mesh including the sides of the basket. This will mean you can get a bigger and more flavorful hit.

Then after you just torch the basket screen and brush the ash away

kokolokokolokon

But my point was less the actual product but the principle of some materials (inc. cotton, rayon) containing some thoroughly nasty shite, and most definitely not good for vaping! It also was aimed at others thinking of trying it. e.g. some methods of rayon manufacture use some really nasty chemicals and it's not thoroughly cleaned afterwards, or maybe enough for making cloth, but not vaping.
101%. I can´t guarantee it is perfect for this use, i just compared it with other vaping cotton and i notice a lighter impact on the flavor...maybe because with a thin strip i use much less cotton

I think (but can't say 100%) they are less 'prepared' for wet, more made suitable for it, and it's the cleanliness that matters most. Obviously you can over heat it, but you need to go well above weed combustion temps. I've never seen more than a slight brown 'scorch' mark on it, on the underside (so not where the hottest air is first touching it) and that's most likely more due to terpenoid degradation rather than the cellulose breaking down.
At least, with the cotton, i see how i it becomes darker with hash since you need more temp. i always tought about that scorch mark like the main reason of the bad flavor...

Have you tried using a 10mm basket screen instead of cotton?

Basically the mesh in the basket screen acts like a sponge for the resin in the hash. If the hash is very melty you might need an extra 1 or 2 screens inside the basket to make a sponge with more capacity so it doesn't drip out the bottom.

The first thing you have to do is get the hash bubbling, I use a single flame on the outside of the bowl before I put the cap on. Then using a stir tool, stir the melted hash around the bowl so the resin sticks all over the mesh including the sides of the basket. This will mean you can get a bigger and more flavorful hit.

Then after you just torch the basket screen and brush the ash away
I did use it. one of the first post showing the tempest with oily has is with a screen. But i feel i need to prepare some of them and clean then everyday (considering the amount of leftovers of the hash...you can waste a lot of iso on this...except if youuse the same super dirty iso for a month). Good method anyway.

But i didnt make the "heating the bowl fisrt" method. Or the stir. Too much steps for me. I just use a little amount creating a has strip to avoid stirring

I will try to make or get some kind of solid basket screen or a solid screen to set it on top of the chamber like I said with the glass screen. Something you can use and then clean it with a napkin, the tool or even with your finger

larfy

101%. I can´t guarantee it is perfect for this use, i just compared it with other vaping cotton and i notice a lighter impact on the flavor...maybe because with a thin strip i use much less cotton

At least, with the cotton, i see how i it becomes darker with hash since you need more temp. i always tought about that scorch mark like the main reason of the bad flavor...

I did use it. one of the first post showing the tempest with oily has is with a screen. But i feel i need to prepare some of them and clean then everyday (considering the amount of leftovers of the hash...you can waste a lot of iso on this...except if youuse the same super dirty iso for a month). Good method anyway.

But i didnt make the "heating the bowl fisrt" method. Or the stir. Too much steps for me. I just use a little amount creating a has strip to avoid stirring

I will try to make or get some kind of solid basket screen or a solid screen to set it on top of the chamber like I said with the glass screen. Something you can use and then clean it with a napkin, the tool or even with your finger
It will work without doing those extra steps but it will not be as good. Potentially you won't be able to fully extract if you don't smear the melted hash all over the basket. Definitely you won't get as big a hit or as much flavour in the 1st hit. Also you should be able to clear the bowl in 2 or 3 meaning it doesn't get as harsh to fully extract as it would sort of sipping on it.

When doing this you need to torch the basket clean after every use, then brush the ash away or it will clog up fast.

I'm definitely interested to what you come up with

Last edited:
larfy,

kokolokokolokon

It will work without doing those extra steps but it will not be as good. Potentially you won't be able to fully extract if you don't smear the melted hash all over the basket. Definitely you won't get as big a hit or as much flavour in the 1st hit. Also you should be able to clear the bowl in 2 or 3 meaning it doesn't get as harsh to fully extract as it would sort of sipping on it.

When doing this you need to torch the basket clean after every use, then brush the ash away or it will clog up fast
It can be as good. I tried those steps and i see no need.
This is a repost because right now I can’t make another video (later maybe). One DTL hit and mtl hits. Right now I get better results than this, but on this example the hash is fully extracted.

Also I heat it with the wand, and clean the screen with a torch is a little meh for me. And i notice it degrades a lot the screen…if the screen doesn’t have a good quality…bad thing too.

With that method you would need the previous steps, heat the bowl, heat the balls, and clean 2 screens with the torch. I find a good wand adapter position can add conduction + a good ball config between material+wand timer can help a lot.

I dont say it is a bad method, but too tricky for a device designed to be comfortable and easy to fill, heat and refill/reheat

Nebelmann

I have put just over a gram through it since yesterday and a lovely patena starting to come along, should blend in with the Rosewood lovely:lol:
Your second picture should be put on Mad Heaters' store page. Made me buy the black version to pair it with the rosewood stem. Classy look

Nebelmann,

General Disaster

A Total disMember
My take on the mark (assuming excessive heat not applied) - the terpenoids that comprise the volatile components in cannabis will degrade with temperature. The higher the temperature, the more will do so, both by type (different boiling points) and by quantity.

When the terps break down, they form small 2 and 3 carbon chains in an unstable configuration. As they cool, they recombine in various ways to form all kinds of different organic compounds. Some may be coloured (especially diazo compounds and other dye types), and some may further degrade to other compounds. One of the most prevalent is benzene, for example, a lovely little health giving substance (not!). This is also a good reason not to abuse concentrates etc with extremely high temps.

Anyway, I think this is the major cause of the discolouration, if it were heat degrading the cellulose, I would expect it to discolour at the top where the air is hottest rather than the bottom of the material. But that's not hard and fast fact, just conjecture based on general chemistry and physics principals, so take it how you wish (or find out more for yourself! 🙂)).

larfy

This is a repost because right now I can’t make another video (later maybe). One DTL hit and mtl hits. Right now I get better results than this, but on this example the hash is fully extracted.

Also I heat it with the wand, and clean the screen with a torch is a little meh for me. And i notice it degrades a lot the screen…if the screen doesn’t have a good quality…bad thing too.

With that method you would need the previous steps, heat the bowl, heat the balls, and clean 2 screens with the torch. I find a good wand adapter position can add conduction + a good ball config between material+wand timer can help a lot.

I dont say it is a bad method, but too tricky for a device designed to be comfortable and easy to fill, heat and refill/reheat
Yeah I mostly do this method with my ruby twist with micro dose bowl which it's perfect for but it does work well in the tempest or any analogue but I find the bowl size of the dynavap makes it tricky.

I've only just recently changed my ball config and that's completely changed how I'm using my tempest, so because I don't currently have any hash I can't say how good this method is now I'm getting the best (so far) from the tempest. But I was getting good results before so should be much better now. With bud I'm now finishing the bowl in 1 heat cycle which is what I imagined I wanted from the tempest before I got it. So if I get that same result with hash next month when I restock I'll update here.

The way I'm thinking about the stirring step is it allows you to vape as much of the bowl as possible on the 1st big lung full, kinda similar to the difference between a diffuser finishing a bowl in 1 compared to stirring an injector for a 2nd or 3rd

You can see what I'm talking about quite clearly in this video. Sorry for posting a non tempest video here but it's just to show what I'm talking about

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub
There's a vid on the Tempest Manual page on HM's website that describes doing just that task.
Titled: "Replacing the balls", about half way down the page.
sorry, I mean replacing from wear and tear, like how long are they expected to last with regular maintenance

edited for clarity, tnx

delta hotel

Does anyone have a US source for the 2.5mm stainless/SiC balls? I've got another head coming and I should have grabbed the balls with it and didn't, but I don't want to pay for international shipping and all again if I can just order some locally/easier.

delta hotel,

Corvoed

Farm Grower
I know it's reddit, and I'm letting myself get worked up...but why is vaporents pretty negative on the tempest? I keep seeing people trash on it and saying weird stuff like the anvil has better flavor, or that the tempest is just an overpriced dynavap, or that you'll get the same thing but cheaper with the dani. Just today I saw a post that said "Tempest sucks change my mind", and there were people actually agreeing in the comments, some calling it a finicky and frustrating device (and of course, it's never their "technique" that's the problem).

Am I misunderstanding, or is this not the easiest dyna-form factor styled device out there by far, with amazing flavor and potency to boot? I'd go as far as to call it a brain-dead device if you're using the wand. Even if I were to take out the VI/Disks, I feel all I'd have to do is just plop it in the wand and let it time out at my preferred temp.

Legit been soaring since day 1 with no issues on torch or IH. I thought vaporents liked good vapes, so what is all this negativity about? I've had nothing but love for my dynas, my old anvil, and my brother's fusion... But Tempest has it's own thing going for it

kokolokokolokon

@General Disaster thank you for the info! I know if I use too much temp i get a super flavorful benzenes! (No :lol:). The most you get closed to the pyrolysis, the most shit you inhale. Anyway I still notice the difference of flavor when I use hash+cotton even at lower temps, and I try to avoid use too much temp.
Actually the most of the time I prefer to get 2/3 heat ups from a hash bowl.

@larfy oh well, im not trying to get almost everything on a first massive hit. For that the stirring method can be god like (I would avoid heating the chamber anyway. Maybe im too lazy :lol: but i like to keep it simple as possible).
I think I watched that video before, maybe you shared it not a long time ago(?)

Im going to make a big sacrifice and record another hash video. Just for science :science:

@Corvoed …it’s reddit :lol::lol: maybe the hating posts get more attention but if you search “tempest” you will find a lot of love too

akp55

I know it's reddit, and I'm letting myself get worked up...but why is vaporents pretty negative on the tempest? I keep seeing people trash on it and saying weird stuff like the anvil has better flavor, or that the tempest is just an overpriced dynavap, or that you'll get the same thing but cheaper with the dani. Just today I saw a post that said "Tempest sucks change my mind", and there were people actually agreeing in the comments, some calling it a finicky and frustrating device (and of course, it's never their "technique" that's the problem).

Am I misunderstanding, or is this not the easiest dyna-form factor styled device out there by far, with amazing flavor and potency to boot? I'd go as far as to call it a brain-dead device if you're using the wand. Even if I were to take out the VI/Disks, I feel all I'd have to do is just plop it in the wand and let it time out at my preferred temp.

Legit been soaring since day 1 with no issues on torch or IH. I thought vaporents liked good vapes, so what is all this negativity about? I've had nothing but love for my dynas, my old anvil, and my brother's fusion... But Tempest has it's own thing going for it
I'm one of those people you replied to then deleted your post. Glad it's brain dead for you, and you also need to remember another thing. The people on reddit are not always the same people on here, while there is an intersection, it's small. There is more of a general population on Reddit vs here, so you will see opinions that do not match your own. I've gone through a zone now with my tempest and can't get the handle of it, and I'm not the only one. Also FC seems to be around 50k members (mods please adjust number). Vaporents itself is 250k members, 5x as much

Last edited:
akp55,
Top Bottom