The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
How about leaving the USB C cable plugged in, at least while using it? For home use..
I really don't want to make a desktop out of it. And when I'm home, I have plenty of batteries so this isn't really an issue. The only way this really makes a difference is when I'm taking it out of the house. And that just requires me to bring a 2nd set of batteries which fits nicely in the case I am using for it. I have learned to live with replacing the batteries more often than I would like. I'm sure it is just an underperforming Wand.
I bought the Wand in anticipation of my Tempest, so for several months I used it with VapCaps and it worked great with them with their less demanding steel cap. The battery lasted for many more goes. It didn't feel like a limitation until after I got the Tempest.
But like I say it's no big deal, and I only mention it because there are probably other people out there experiencing something similar and are just not expressing it. So, just a data point.

delta hotel

I really don't want to make a desktop out of it. And when I'm home, I have plenty of batteries so this isn't really an issue. The only way this really makes a difference is when I'm taking it out of the house. And that just requires me to bring a 2nd set of batteries which fits nicely in the case I am using for it. I have learned to live with replacing the batteries more often than I would like. I'm sure it is just an underperforming Wand.
I bought the Wand in anticipation of my Tempest, so for several months I used it with VapCaps and it worked great with them with their less demanding steel cap. The battery lasted for many more goes. It didn't feel like a limitation until after I got the Tempest.
But like I say it's no big deal, and I only mention it because there are probably other people out there experiencing something similar and are just not expressing it. So, just a data point.
My experience is closer to yours than 15 cycles. I actually want a small desktop heater, but the idea of leaving it plugged into the USB-C all the time just sounds like it'd tax the batteries or cause them to be less reliable when I did need it mobile? If I could just leave it plugged in for home use and simply unplug as needed, it'd be perfect but I'm sure someone with more battery knowledge will chime in to tell me not to :lol::lol:

delta hotel,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have a JarHead and a PSM that I purchased from @Pipes some time back, but their sockets are too narrow for the Tempest or other larger heads. If another reasonably priced desktop style IH comes out with a larger socket, I may pick it up, but the Wand suffices for now.

cybrguy,

SockPuppetTheatrics

I took the head apart last night so I could torch the tips of the VI a little, and after reassembling I found that the VI was running much more smoothly. Not sure if I somehow got everything better aligned, if I unwittingly torched off some gunk that was making it stick, or if the fifth time's the charm as far as getting all of the pieces aligned is concerned. It's also possible that it needed to go through x # of heating cycles and last night was # x+1. It was already basically working (lining up with the clicks), but it would stick and jump at the beginning and jump again at the second click. This was an upgraded beta, BTW, not a production unit, so it was most likely a matter of operator error when I assembled it.

I've been doing full bowl, half full, light tamp with the head 25% open and the stem open, 2.5mm SiC & zirc mix. Wand is set to 650°F, inserted from the bottom with no adapter (I also use it for the TA4 and Tornado, which don't fit in the adapter), withdrawing when the light goes solid (which is two flashes after the second click).

I start by lightly stoking it a couple of times (I guess like cigar puffs?), then take a light draw or two, and finish it off with full draws fluttering the airport. I get a fairly even medium brown roast and good flavor throughout.

As I said in my review on the MH website, this isn't for beginners and has a learning curve (which I feel like I had to re-surmount after installing the upgrade kit and going back to the Wand), but it's definitely my favorite device for solo use.

delta hotel

That's gonna beat the batteries up
This is what I suspected but I have no actual data or battery knowledge to back it up so I was just making assumptions. On that note, is there a small desktop IH anyone would recommend?

delta hotel,

JJ785

If worried about battery longevity, why not just use cheapo batteries while plugged in at desk, and swap over to p28s, for example, outside?. This refers to my earlier suggestion of leaving USB cable connected for more consistent (as in not affected by low battery levels) vaping with the wand while at home.

I find the wand a little too heavy for carrying around outside, but this will obviously differ person to person. It's actually my desktop IH.

Last edited:
JJ785,
Reactions: dude_de

Minsc_NBoo

I normally need to reheat my bowl twice to fully extract, and I get about 6 full cycles.

I always have spare batteries, but I'm finding a triple flame torch works best for me at the moment

Minsc_NBoo,
Reactions: cybrguy

Postlark

From getting the wand and using it at 270c so that the second click happens and the visual indicator is right below the third line, now I have to push it to 350c to get the same result in click, visual indicator, and avb color. This is baffling, I mean, if it was only the indicators then it could just be that they could just calibrate with usage (as confirmed by the maker), but this is about needing to use a much higher wand temperature to get the same avb color.

Could the wand be losing power or losing calibration? Or could the metal in the tempest change it's reaction to induction over time, requiring more power?

Postlark,

dudeguy

Some Wands must run hotter than most. Even at 285c (run till timeout) mine often combusts even though the adapter is slightly higher than in the manual

dudeguy,

raisin

Well my wand insert/adapter just arrived, package was extraordinarily beat up and there was little inside to protect the item. Maybe there was a crack on the insert from shipping that I didn't notice, but on first use, the insert shattered.

Corvoed

Farm Grower
If worried about battery longevity, why not just use cheapo batteries while plugged in at desk, and swap over to p28s, for example, outside?. This refers to my earlier suggestion of leaving USB cable connected for more consistent (as in not affected by low battery levels) vaping with the wand while at home.
This is exactly what i do. Stock wand batteries for at home, always plugged in. Good batteries for on the go.

Been doing this with my wand for what feels like 2 years now and I can't say I have any actual complaints

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
From getting the wand and using it at 270c so that the second click happens and the visual indicator is right below the third line, now I have to push it to 350c to get the same result in click, visual indicator, and avb color. This is baffling, I mean, if it was only the indicators then it could just be that they could just calibrate with usage (as confirmed by the maker), but this is about needing to use a much higher wand temperature to get the same avb color.

Could the wand be losing power or losing calibration? Or could the metal in the tempest change it's reaction to induction over time, requiring more power?
Is there any chance your adapter has moved? How deep the adapter is in the Wand is very determinate of the heating profile...

Last edited:
cybrguy,

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty

Have you cleaned the balls recently? I vaguely remember someone having a similar issue during the beta and it turned out their balls had gotten thoroughly caked in resin and weren’t transferring heat well.

coolbreeze

DMed the maker on IG. He says it works for thermal accumulator but he can't guarantee it works for tempest or the tornado.
The Tempest head fits the AezhennWood one, no problem.
Haven't tried the Tornado but the fit is perfect for both of these and the DV tip I tried:
IMG-0714.jpg
IMG-0712.jpg

I_like_logs

Some Wands must run hotter than most. Even at 285c (run till timeout) mine often combusts even though the adapter is slightly higher than in the manual
I think the adapter positioning plays a big role. I can’t believe the impact moving the adapter by a couple of mm’s can have. Also notice that battery quality and health also has an impact.

Postlark

Have you cleaned the balls recently? I vaguely remember someone having a similar issue during the beta and it turned out their balls had gotten thoroughly caked in resin and weren’t transferring heat well.
I clean the balls very often and they seem to transfer heat well.

As for the tempest's not really so I should give that a try.....

Postlark,
Top Bottom