The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

gosta

i have both a black and raw titanium - same taste for me but prefer the black because of the sleek physical feel and overall visual aesthetic. can’t go wrong with either tho!

Is the airpath coated, or just the exterior?

gosta,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
I’m working on a Flare-compatible induction sleeve that will be slightly thicker and non-magnetic.

I tested it with a thin non-magnetic sleeve and was able to achieve around 95W.
If both the indicator housing and the induction sleeve are non-magnetic, it can reach 120W. However, losing the Reload compatibility is a significant drawback.
I think with a new sleeve, it might be able to achieve around 100W with the magnetic indicator housing.

Unfortunately, the Tempest assembly is taking much longer than expected and is still not finished. However, it should be ready and on the way to me end of next week.

Last edited:

DaBouse

I’m working on a Flare-compatible induction sleeve that will be slightly thicker and non-magnetic.

If both the indicator housing and the induction sleeve are non-magnetic, it can reach 120W. However, losing the Reload compatibility is a significant drawback.
I’m fairly confident that with a new sleeve, it will be able to achieve 100W or more with the magnetic indicator housing.

I look forward to hearing more about this in the future. I’m still on the fence regarding heaters. I’ve spoken to a couple users who did mention that a more powerful heater than the wand may be beneficial. What does the wand heat at? 80-90w?

DaBouse,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
I look forward to hearing more about this in the future. I’m still on the fence regarding heaters. I’ve spoken to a couple users who did mention that a more powerful heater than the wand may be beneficial. What does the wand heat at? 80-90w?
80-100W depending on battery level

Brenyo,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.

I think with a new sleeve, it might be able to achieve around 100W with the magnetic indicator housing.

On that topic

I’ve been trying to figure out which of my induction heaters works best with the Tempest.

At the moment I’m very happy with how the Forge works with the Tempest; but so far I haven’t been able to get the experience I’m looking for from the Flare - with the Tempest.

So I decided to utilise a new TA3 so I could see exactly how the Flare heats the device inside so I can better figure out how to place the Tempest in the Flare.

To be honest at the moment I’m using the Flare upside down for the Tempest.. but I don’t want to do that long term as I really like the simplicity of the Flare with the TA3

This is how simple and effective the Flare is with the Thermal Accumulator (TA3)

This is me trying to figure out how to use what I learned with the Tempest

Now that I understand how the Flare is heating and where it’s heating; the next step is to figure out a way to place the Tempest - that isn’t upside down - as each time I’ve used it so far the top gets overheated making the VI and discs fire to soon.
More testing is required.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
For me, the compatibility with the reload is crucial for my use of the Tempest. I always carry it with me if I intend to use the Tempest out of the house for that reason along with its storage usefulness. It allows me to easily manage a hot Tempest head.
I, of course, encourage you to make the Tempest compatible with as many heaters as you can, as long as you don't remove any functionality that I rely on like Reload head management. We all love options... :nod:

Brenyo

Manufacturer
For me, the compatibility with the reload is crucial for my use of the Tempest. I always carry it with me if I intend to use the Tempest out of the house for that reason along with its storage usefulness. It allows me to easily manage a hot Tempest head.
I, of course, encourage you to make the Tempest compatible with as many heaters as you can, as long as you don't remove any functionality that I rely on like Reload head management. We all love options... :nod:
Seems like I can make it work at 110-120W with magnetic Reload compatibility. Will take a few months until it will be available though.

Logo

Seems like I can make it work at 110-120W with magnetic Reload compatibility. Will take a few months until it will be available though.
That would be amazing. How deep should the tempest be in the flare, any recommendations?

Logo,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Can you elaborate on that? Would that be using something like an FMJ?
An FMJ won’t work well because ideally, you’d have to put it over the airholes, blocking them. Most importantly it needs a non-magnetic induction sleeve instead of the magnetic one.

DaBouse

An FMJ won’t work well because ideally, you’d have to put it over the airholes, blocking them. Most importantly it needs a non-magnetic induction sleeve instead of the magnetic one.
And I don’t fully understand that. So pardon my lack of understanding but as I thought of it, induction heaters only work on metals that have magnetic conductivity. Does the flare work completely differently from your typical IH? Or am I misunderstanding that issue?

Brenyo

Manufacturer
And I don’t fully understand that. So pardon my lack of understanding but as I thought of it, induction heaters only work on metals that have magnetic conductivity. Does the flare work completely differently from your typical IH? Or am I misunderstanding that issue?
Yes, typically non-magnetic metals are less ideal for IH efficiency, however the Flare is limiting the output if you try to heat something that has magnetic / ferrous walls like the Thermocore, standard DV cap, Tempest etc.

grognard3r

On that topic

I’ve been trying to figure out which of my induction heaters works best with the Tempest.

At the moment I’m very happy with how the Forge works with the Tempest; but so far I haven’t been able to get the experience I’m looking for from the Flare - with the Tempest.

So I decided to utilise a new TA3 so I could see exactly how the Flare heats the device inside so I can better figure out how to place the Tempest in the Flare.

To be honest at the moment I’m using the Flare upside down for the Tempest.. but I don’t want to do that long term as I really like the simplicity of the Flare with the TA3

This is how simple and effective the Flare is with the Thermal Accumulator (TA3)

This is me trying to figure out how to use what I learned with the Tempest

Now that I understand how the Flare is heating and where it’s heating; the next step is to figure out a way to place the Tempest - that isn’t upside down - as each time I’ve used it so far the top gets overheated making the VI and discs fire to soon.
More testing is required.

Taking a new BFG Flare IH out of the box with fresh batteries, what is a good starting point setting? Perhaps like VapingYogi's video of 90 W for 45 seconds?

Also, @Brenyo , would it make any difference if we went back to the previous induction sleeve? I assume the updated sleeve works better with the Flare?

grognard3r,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Taking a new BFG Flare IH out of the box with fresh batteries, what is a good starting point setting? Perhaps like VapingYogi's video of 90 W for 45 seconds?
Max power, timer between 45-60s depending on the power limit.

Also, @Brenyo , would it make any difference if we went back to the previous induction sleeve? I assume the updated sleeve works better with the Flare?
No difference, both magnetic.

Top Bottom