The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Atom Flower

a familiar setup with a vaping rig in front of a computer screen :lol:
don't forget to take breaks, move around and look at the sky/ trees/ mountains/ distant horizon!
I did not, and it has cost me a lot in physical therapy and chronic pain...
Your probably right, mines have only really been mega dirty once.

You can still see a light build up, but nothing like the were in the photo.
Yes that is definitely some buildup! I guess if they build up a coating it will slow down the heat uptake... and any resin on the balls will be carbonised at the next heat-up which then cannot be cleaned by soaking in a solvent and needs to be burned off.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
After I cleaned them in sugar soap, I started holding the tempest upright and using the wand upside down, they've never been that dirty since. I felt it was noticeable when they were that bad, felt like they took longer to heat up and didn't hold the heat as well.
Once the head gets hot enough, especially after 2 or more heat soaks without a cool down, conduction will heat the goods enough for the juice to start to drip out and gravity will cause it to drop though the heater. I periodically need to clean juice off of the Wand glass adapter so there is little doubt that this happens when the orientation is tip down. As @HaggisHunter suggests this can be greatly reduced (tho not completely eliminated) by orienting the Tempest the other way. While my first heat is almost always tip down, for convenience sake, subsequent heats may be tip up so that I can watch the VI.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
01_0387ff55-25d2-4460-9f78-89b6f0a6ced4.jpg

cybrguy,

Atom Flower

Maybe not fine enough, and turning the thing upside down perhaps sends a few particles dropping through that screen. However, for me having a titanium screen in the heater (rather than ss) is more important.

Atom Flower,

HaggisHunter

any resin on the balls will be carbonised at the next heat-up which then cannot be cleaned by soaking in a solvent and needs to be burned off.
Sugar soap is what I use. Literally cleans everything to the point where it looks like new, that photo of the balls I posted, the top parts was after a clean with iso.

I dumped them in a tube with sugar soap in it, left it for a few minutes and shook it around for a couple of minutes, the lower part of the photo was the result.
I rinse them in water and then iso to make sure any sugar soap residue is gone, but it's really good for cleaning vapes etc.

I prefer it to torching as I don't really want to use torches for anything now.

I periodically need to clean juice off of the glass adapter
I noticed this too, but it wasn't too bad.
Until I started using a Dynavap again while back, titanium 5 fin tip, armoured cap, and also has a titanium spacer for extra mass. When I use that in the wand, after a few days the cup is almost swimming in residue.
There's been times I haven't noticed it, the device heats up, I take it out and a little bit has dripped on my hand and it's bloody painful due to the heat of it.
I cleaned the cup last week, haven't used a DV since and it's still more or less clean.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
You can put a fine screen under it which would help and not the reduce the airflow too much.

Or use it sideways in the wand:
I guess I'm really just saying I'm good with the way it is, as while I do get some particles and juice coming through to the adapter (or stem) it is not to an unacceptable level. Both the adapter and the stem will need periodic cleaning, regardless.
Temp-Head-on-adapter.jpg

Needless to say, if you get lazy, they will get pretty dirty.
Adapt.jpg

Last edited:

Strolling&Rolling

I guess I'm really just saying I'm good with the way it is, as while I do get some particles and juice coming through to the adapter (or stem) it is not to an unacceptable level. Both the adapter and the stem will need periodic cleaning, regardless.
Temp-Head-on-adapter.jpg

Needless to say, if you get lazy, they will get pretty dirty.
Adapt.jpg
I've been using the tempest head with a J hook recently and it's gotten pretty dirty, not because of any leakage but because it's such a beautiful combo that I reach for it more often than not now.

Every time I think I'll have to be without it for a day due to cleaning I just keep putting it off LOL. Honestly the vapour and the length of the session is incredible when you reheat a few times with the wand. 10/10. Even started putting some hash sandwiches in there and mamma mia!

I'm going to pre-order a new one whenever orders start.

mcscruffy

I've read nearly every post in this thread over the last 18 months and did a search and I cannot find if it's been discussed, so I'm just going to ask out of ignorance and curiosity...

I've seen mention of mixing different size balls but it's always been the same type... can you mix SiC and Zirc or other types without issue? If so, has anyone tried layering so it's like when filling, the bottom 2/3 is filled with Zirc and the top 1/3 with SiC or vice versa? I was wondering if that could help unlock the extra session time without burning the flower closest to the ball screen with how the Zirc would lose the heat calories faster while the SiC would help keep temps high longer....

I said a while back I was planning to get some SiC to play with but I decided to wait until I have another Tempest/oven to mess with it and don't plan on touching that ball screen unless I have to! I'm very happy with how it performs but damnit I am a tinkerer by nature and it's bugging the shit out of me that I'm not testing different oven configs this far in to ownership. It does it all great already, but I know there's a sweet spot where it's "best" and it's just waiting for me to find it.

I plan to start with some SiC when I am able to get the beta upgrade kit along with hopefully another Tempest or oven 🤞

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I've seen mention of mixing different size balls but it's always been the same type... can you mix SiC and Zirc or other types without issue? If so, has anyone tried layering so it's like when filling, the bottom 2/3 is filled with Zirc and the top 1/3 with SiC or vice versa? I was wondering if that could help unlock the extra session time without burning the flower closest to the ball screen with how the Zirc would lose the heat calories faster while the SiC would help keep temps high longer....
I mix balls all the time for different effects, I know a bunch of people adding Sic to the HM to modify the heat retention, there is some talk in the Thermal Accumulator thread of using Sic & Zrc together.

I have tried combinations of Zrc, Rubies, Ge Cut Rubies, Boro and titanium balls of different size in the same tempest cap. I like the added restriction added by the gem cut rubies but the temperature needs to be a little lower so I don't heat all the way.

Experiment and see, combos are really interesting

Can someone recommend a descent inexpensive torch for cleaning the balls? I strictly use the wand so it is all I’d use it for & this method seems like the easiest/safest way to clean the zirc?
Ronx Dual is a good one

Will a closed intake in the tip be closer to dynavap/conduction and open more like a regular ball vape?
In between, it's not quite either honestly, I keep the cap closed as I like the lower airflow and the increased heat retention allowing for a longer session and more radiant heat and conduction

TedJones

can you mix SiC and Zirc or other types without issue?
Yea like Yogi said, no prob. I did this combo in the TA and it worked just fine. The Sic really adds some extra heat. Fun for a bit, but went to rubies in that one which I’m liking.

Thinking you’re heat up method (slow/fast) could be a variable in the performance of these as well :shrug:

TedJones,

rebelFarmer

I plan to start with some SiC when I am able to get the beta upgrade kit along with hopefully another Tempest or oven 🤞
I do a variant of that, Used SiC primarily with the smaller default (from pre release/beta 2.5mm) ones mixed in at the top closest to oven. I don't know if it is that much better over SiC to me, I don't value a completely consistent roast to be honest, so for me it does not matter. I like the heat capacity of SiC especially for hash though, biggest effect I note is seasonal. When it is cold in my env I need more heat.

The SiC ability for heat retention is why I like it the most, but the advantages of that are waaayyyy more relevant when it is very cold outside, summer time I just turn down my IH.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Are the O rings that are used between the Tempest head and the body/stem the same size as standard dynavap high temp O rings? I think those are 6mm X 1mm. I suspect they are, but I am not at home, so I can't measure them.

cybrguy,

GnarlyVandal

I think the majority of folks in this forum could find the clit before the tempest finally releases.
This a queue up in a line sort of situation? Torches (the non-flame kind! Ouch) and magnifying glasses at the ready

Are the O rings that are used between the Tempest head and the body/stem the same size as standard dynavap high temp O rings? I think those are 6mm X 1mm. I suspect they are, but I am not at home, so I can't measure them.
I don’t have one, and am not sure, but I do believe so people have said the head is compatible with the dynaverse?

Brenyo

Manufacturer
It uses 6x1 and 5x1 o-rings, most of the o-rings on the Tempest are these two sizes. You can adjust the tip connection by changing the size of the o-rings so it’s more secure in glass, etc. The default is one of each size.

The Tempest stock is almost ready. I think it will be finished this weekend and will take about one week to arrive which means that the pre-order should start around the end of the month.

Duba

Accessory Maker
That's what I do in my balls vapes : a mix sic and zirc with sic balls on top. I like the results in my TAs and VVs, and it would probably be the same with the Tempest.

Top Bottom