Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

OF

All lithium batteries are 4.2v hot off the charger, the imr batteries will sag less when a heavy load is applied so they will supply a bit more current than non-imr even when their unloaded voltage is the same.

You should notice this with the new v2 top or by putting your imr v2 battery in your persei

All very true. But both V1 and V2 seem to have a 'hold over' from e-cigs that IMO makes them sub optimum for many of the uses we're trying. They regulate the voltage down before sending it to the load at first. Even a fresh charged battery in the V2 only puts out 3.7 Volts (as does V1) with no load, 3.3 Volts under the moderate load of the 2.4 Ohm carts. I don't have a Persei (yet....today's the day!!) to include in that test, but against the TV Ultra (same basic IMR battery, no electronics) it didn't fare well. Using a partially discharged (4.0 Volt) battery, the Ultra put out 3.70 Volts to the 2.4 and was .3 Volts ahead of the V1 and a full .5 ahead of V1 with the 1.5 Ohm load.

As heavy demand carts like Dart, Evolution, Universe and the others come on line this issue I think is going to become very important to many of us. There's a lot to it. Buying my V2 fixed the 'time out' issue I was having with trying to drive the Revolution and Dart carts but in the process introduced another shortcoming (lack of power) that put it back on the shelf again. There's a upgrade coming that should change that yet again. I'm sure folks realize how much better it would be if the problem was resolved before the units were released and sold....it cuts both ways of course 'cuz folks want the new Universe cart NOW.

I sure am glad I don't have to make those calls, aren't you?

OF

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
I don't have a Persei (yet....today's the day!!)

I sure am glad I don't have to make those calls, aren't you?

OF
awesome, let us know how you like it! try ripping an old stubborn 2.4 ohm
cart on 6v and let us know what ya think :brow::ko:

you never call anymore...

Bob Loblaw,

bluesurfboy

I got my persei two days ago. Quite a learning curve loading the 5 ohm carts with WAX, my first was GSC oil and loaded on first try, i had the 5 ohm wax carts not prime or load to bottom of the cart so i thought i burnt out the carts, saw the red down the tube and took my heat gun to it, i was afraid of overheating or damaging the internals due to heat but i guess thats what it took, One of the 5 ohm carts loaded perfectly! amazing and much bigger vapor clouds tghan the 1.5 @ 3.7 set up. the otherone overflowed because i took the fill tube off early and the bubbling of hash made it fall directly into center tube,

bottom leaks not when hitting but after being left, found that hitting it after taking off the battery to cool faster seems to help.

how to fix a runny/leaky/clogged cart? i just pull the clog out with the button modulating and seems to work, but clogs right back up, do i reclaim and fill into another or any way to fix this current cart?

bluesurfboy,
Reactions: rufrothy

OF

awesome, let us know how you like it! try ripping an old stubborn 2.4 ohm
cart on 6v and let us know what ya think :brow::ko:

you never call anymore...

Thanks, Bob, will do. I've done that some already since I have a VV supply that goes 3 to 6 Volts in .1 steps. I've also been testing the four Ohm test carts at six Volts using my TV supply with two RCR123As.

They scream, all right. Did you notice a taste change as well?

No need to call, really, folks are calling me all sorts of things as it is you know......

OF

OF

how to fix a runny/leaky/clogged cart? i just pull the clog out with the button modulating and seems to work, but clogs right back up, do i reclaim and fill into another or any way to fix this current cart?

There are a few things you can try. A needle or wire (some guys use a straightened paper clip) can be used to ream the upper and lower tubes. Be very careful the heater sits cross wise about 3/4 of the way down, don't poke it. Wiping off the oil that stick to it and sticking it back again and again until it comes up clean often helps. Some guys cut a narrow (1/4 inch or so) strip of paper towel which they twist into a 'rope' of sorts and carefully feed down to soak up the excess. I like this one myself as it doesn't aim sharp stuff at the heater. Sometimes continuing to pull cool air through after killing the heat helps too. Usually you can beat it back, sometimes the bear gets you.

Next time you go to 'melt down' the cart, hold it by the bottom third with one hand while you do. Don't let the part under your fingers get too hot to hold comfortably as that's where the seals are. Concentrate needs to get to the mid point in the tube at least, usually that means the tube in the area has to be at least warm or the stuff will 'clot up' when it hits cold metal.

Best wishes.

OF

OF,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Thanks, Bob, will do. I've done that some already since I have a VV supply that goes 3 to 6 Volts in .1 steps. I've also been testing the four Ohm test carts at six Volts using my TV supply with two RCR123As.

No need to call, really, folks are calling me all sorts of things as it is you know......

OF
to be honest, i just chalked up taste to heat and time until i did get a batch of oily 4 ohms.
since i got free taster carts (lucky like you) then i just shrugged it off. it is very hard from
across the internet to tell if someone is overheating, has bad oil, bad cart, drawing too hard,
not drawing hard enough. someone just posted having a learning curve filling the carts and is
having some clog/leak issues. how to help when they aren't sitting there. to be honest, the
only reason i have been able to sell a few of these other patients is by guaranteeing them help
no matter what. which i can do perfectly in person (most days.)
as a dabber i definitely find that flavor is lost when your nail is too hot and can kind of get
burnt tasting. i also find that the older the oil, the more times it's been heated and cooled,
the "worse" it tastes. that said i did have a pack of pretty bad tasting carts. i bought all 5 ohms
when i got my persei (cost me more than the persei) the "cart taste" is definitely there and has
been worse some than others. haven't even tried the 3 ohms yet. the 5's were ok, the 4's a little
worse. the 1.5's have been fine for me. i have some w/ writing sideways and some down the barrel.
i also have given 3 out so far that have been used and bad flavor hasn't been reported. however
the tech and oil is new to both people using the other carts and i just quit smoking 3 mos ago
so my taste buds are just coming back online so take all of that w/ a grain of sand......................
........you dick.

sorry, had to do it ;) hope ya had a good 420 OF!

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
There are a few things you can try. A needle or wire (some guys use a straightened paper clip) can be used to ream the upper and lower tubes.
OF
i use a drill bit type torch cleaner like OF suggested awhile back, that way u can set how far down
the bit goes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017Z1SXA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

also great info here
http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Omicron

and here
http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Persei

that can answer noobie questions. hope it helps!

Bob Loblaw,

OF

to be honest, i just chalked up taste to heat and time until i did get a batch of oily 4 ohms.
since i got free taster carts (lucky like you) then i just shrugged it off. it is very hard from
across the internet to tell if someone is overheating, has bad oil, bad cart, drawing too hard,
not drawing hard enough. someone just posted having a learning curve filling the carts and is
having some clog/leak issues. how to help when they aren't sitting there. to be honest, the
only reason i have been able to sell a few of these other patients is by guaranteeing them help
no matter what. which i can do perfectly in person (most days.)
as a dabber i definitely find that flavor is lost when your nail is too hot and can kind of get
burnt tasting. i also find that the older the oil, the more times it's been heated and cooled,
the "worse" it tastes. that said i did have a pack of pretty bad tasting carts. i bought all 5 ohms
when i got my persei (cost me more than the persei) the "cart taste" is definitely there and has
been worse some than others. haven't even tried the 3 ohms yet. the 5's were ok, the 4's a little
worse. the 1.5's have been fine for me. i have some w/ writing sideways and some down the barrel.
i also have given 3 out so far that have been used and bad flavor hasn't been reported. however
the tech and oil is new to both people using the other carts and i just quit smoking 3 mos ago
so my taste buds are just coming back online so take all of that w/ a grain of sand......................
........you dick.

sorry, had to do it ;) hope ya had a good 420 OF!

Damn, Bob, no wonder I like you. You can sure hit the nail square on the head when you've a mind to. It's hard indeed to fathom the details from afar through the clues available from even the most informed posters in such a subjective area. Still, there's something there and we seem collectively to be able to improve it some.

Thanks again for your considered thoughts. This time most welcome. I too hope your 4:20 went well and continues through the year.

OF

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Damn, Bob, no wonder I like you. You can sure hit the nail square on the head when you've a mind to. It's hard indeed to fathom the details from afar through the clues available from even the most informed posters in such a subjective area. Still, there's something there and we seem collectively to be able to improve it some.

Thanks again for your considered thoughts. This time most welcome. I too hope your 4:20 went well and continues through the year.

OF
EDITED
thanks man, i truly do appreciate, have i mentioned ur a mensch as well?
the carts that come out over the next year are probably gonna make us laugh at the troubles we face now.
it'll be "remember when the threads were active 'cuz someone one needed help almost every day. it sure is quiet here now. damn you thc for striving towards perfection!" lol

UPDATE ON TEST CARTS :
due to reports of some leaking w/ new carts have been hammering on mine w/ the 7.4v setup
to try to get it to leak. no success so far. am curious if people are pulling hot carts off their rigs?
IIRC Vitolo mentioned that he hardly ever has leaks and always waits til the cart is cool (and he makes sure he can suck thru it) b4 pulling the cart and setting elsewhere.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Just like to mention, still using my first 2- 4ohm test carts, and no leaks, taste is good over all. Hope you all had a good 4/20 celebration! I'm hoping to have some bho sometime soon, to test another cart with.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
OF
now that you set me on the case i took my new 4 ohm off the 6v
i had been running it and upped it to 7.4. def taste change. more
"burnt" flavor. i honestly think we can over toast our oil at this level
of power a little too easy. i hardly ever more than tap my persei buttons.
might end up stickin' w/ 5 ohms for my v2.5 powerhouse setup as well
as my persei (until lcd top for oil, that is). just a little more subjective data
to throw into the mix. not the same as the old 4ohms, but definitely not
"tasty" fresh.
EDiT - running it thru a water piece definitely helps w/ flavor. i think finding
appropriate tubing should be a good idea for those w/ taste concerns.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
EDITED
thanks man, i truly do appreciate, have i mentioned ur a mensch as well?
the carts that come out over the next year are probably gonna make us laugh at the troubles we face now.
it'll be "remember when the threads were active 'cuz someone one needed help almost every day. it sure is quiet here now. damn you thc for striving towards perfection!" lol

UPDATE ON TEST CARTS :
due to reports of some leaking w/ new carts have been hammering on mine w/ the 7.4v setup
to try to get it to leak. no success so far. am curious if people are pulling hot carts off their rigs?
IIRC Vitolo mentioned that he hardly ever has leaks and always waits til the cart is cool (and he makes sure he can suck thru it) b4 pulling the cart and setting elsewhere.

No issues with my double barrel 4.0's and they were getting used hard by all sorts of strangers at the Deep Green Festival yesterday and I mean lots of people. I have 3 4.0's in circulation and none of them leak and none of them even pop clog yet. knock on wood..... 100's of hits off all 3. These are not new carts.

My score of the day yesterday was running into one of G's buddies from SoCal who makes pre-filled flavored carts with 100% extract. He mixes in candy flavorings for a unique taste and scent. He hooked me up with a few 1.5 ohm bubble gum carts and they blog big clouds. The taste and SMELL is exactly bubble gum. I wish these were available in NorCal as this is GREAT STEALTH option that is much cheaper than PG. 0 skunk smell. 100% Bubblegum. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: Testing the 8 was awesome as well. wrote about that in the 8 thread.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
now that you set me on the case i took my new 4 ohm off the 6v
i had been running it and upped it to 7.4. def taste change. more
"burnt" flavor. i honestly think we can over toast our oil at this level
of power a little too easy. i hardly ever more than tap my persei buttons.
might end up stickin' w/ 5 ohms for my v2.5 powerhouse setup as well
as my persei (until lcd top for oil, that is). just a little more subjective data
to throw into the mix. not the same as the old 4ohms, but definitely not
"tasty" fresh.
EDiT - running it thru a water piece definitely helps w/ flavor. i think finding
appropriate tubing should be a good idea for those w/ taste concerns.

I agree. The Persei is a MOTV. It does require user restraint and control. Just mashing the button is not the best recipe for a flavorfull hit at 7.4v IMO. Its more complex to master than the Omicron for sure.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
t. He mixes in candy flavorings for a unique taste and scent. He hooked me up with a few 1.5 ohm bubble gum carts and they blog big clouds. The taste and SMELL is exactly bubble gum.

BTW: Testing the 8 was awesome as well. wrote about that in the 8 thread.

did you ask him or G if that damages the cart? i make my own oil and have thought
about adding flavor like orange or rootbeer, just using flavor oils like from the
grocery store, but didn't want to damage my carts. did you ask him what kind/brand
he uses? do you know if his oil was tacky, runny, stable? sorry for all the questions,
been rollin' around in my head for a while now

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: rufrothy

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
I agree. The Persei is a MOTV. It does require user restraint and control. Just mashing the button is not the best recipe for a flavorfull hit at 7.4v IMO. Its more complex to master than the Omicron for sure.
can't wait for lcd control
edit - well can and will wait. curious what the ETA is on this.
on a personal note i just want to say that i don't hold G or THC Sci
to any generalized ETA's, and won't ever. it's out, when it's out. just
like to know if it's 1-3 or 6 mos out. helps to budget in general. but really,
as much as people are exited for the 8, i'm twice as exited for the VV top.
have had to restrain self from getting cheap ramp up style tube.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
did you ask him or G if that damages the cart? i make my own oil and have thought
about adding flavor like orange or rootbeer, just using flavor oils like from the
grocery store, but didn't want to damage my carts. did you ask him what kind/brand
he uses? do you know if his oil was tacky, runny, stable? sorry for all the questions,

He said he used Candy flavorings. Back in the day THC used to have medicated carts they sold and this guy I believe used to make them. THC split into making gear and he continues to make carts and distribute to patients in SoCal. G might be able to answer more questions on that when he returns. He showed me the base concentrate he put in there and lots of folks were dabbing it. The concentrate looked like a light caramel colored earwax consistency.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
He said he used Candy flavorings. Back in the day THC used to have medicated carts they sold and this guy I believe used to make them. THC split into making gear and he continues to make carts and distribute to patients in SoCal. G might be able to answer more questions on that when he returns. He showed me the base concentrate he put in there and lots of folks were dabbing it. The concentrate looked like a light caramel colored earwax consistency.
niiice. i figured it might be easy to get it in the normal translucent taffy that i get post vac purge, but getting it into a dry wax? guy must be talented. might try some experiments w/ some small batches of leaf or second run stuff. thanks for the data! i had some bubblegum flower back in the day that actually tasted, not the smoke, the herb itself of bubblegum. you could pull off a leaf, chew it up, and not taste herb, but just bubblegum. was insanely amazing, would love to recreate that experience on the olfactory plane ;).
thanks again!

Bob Loblaw,

http://www.candyflavor.com/

G posted this over in TC. I might have to try it. Still trying to get this "easy bake oven" going...

havealight101,

OF

Hey, forget that, how about asking your Doctor what vaping that stuff is doing to your lungs? Get a grip, guys, just 'cuz it's OK in your tummy doesn't make it OK elsewhere you know. What does the MSDS for the flavorings say about breathing hot saturated vapor? Bet they didn't test for that......

Consider one of the very reasons we're vaporizing the THC is because it's 'taken up' a lot faster and more completely that way, right? If I want that experience, I'll chew some real bubble gum (whatever that is) while I vape, thank you very much. Otherwise, this one seems like a good one to avoid on general principles until proven safe?

OF

OF,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Hey, forget that, how about asking your Doctor what vaping that stuff is doing to your lungs? Get a grip, guys, just 'cuz it's OK in your tummy doesn't make it OK elsewhere you know. What does the MSDS for the flavorings say about breathing hot saturated vapor? Bet they didn't test for that......

Consider one of the very reasons we're vaporizing the THC is because it's 'taken up' a lot faster and more completely that way, right? If I want that experience, I'll chew some real bubble gum (whatever that is) while I vape, thank you very much. Otherwise, this one seems like a good one to avoid on general principles until proven safe?

OF
not saying that vaping flavor oils is necessarily a good thing, but there are oils for mixing
w/ e-juice. as a more than pack a day smoker and an eighth or more a day smoker for over 20 yrs, a
little flavor oil, or pg/vg isn't really at the top of my list for health concerns. i'd rather have a little
oil in my oil for smell cover than spend time behind bars and die from hep a-c or whatever else. it's all risk assessment. unless i had a immune deficiency i personally wouldn't sweat it and won't, but to each his own. some like to play better safe than sorry, i do too, just assess different risks as priority. good thoughts for those that play extra health conscious tho.

OF

not saying that vaping flavor oils is necessarily a good thing, but there are oils for mixing
w/ e-juice. as a more than pack a day smoker and an eighth or more a day smoker for over 20 yrs, a
little flavor oil, or pg/vg isn't really at the top of my list for health concerns. i'd rather have a little
oil in my oil for smell cover than spend time behind bars and die from hep a-c or whatever else. it's all risk assessment. unless i had a immune deficiency i personally wouldn't sweat it and won't, but to each his own. some like to play better safe than sorry, i do too, just assess different risks as priority. good thoughts for those that play extra health conscious tho.

Good points. Staying out of jail can be a health issue too.

However, I was taught "ALARA", As Low as Realistically Achievable. That's the industrial safety guideline for such things. I can avoid the exposure all together, so that's my solution (and absent any other factors, recommendation). I'm not nuts on 'organically grown' food or herbs necessarily, but those that are have a point worth considering. We get more than enough bad stuff every day just being here, no need to pay extra for more.

OF

Both good points OF and Bob. I think I may take the risk?
I'm not really seeing a lot of ecig guys keel over from flavor. Speaking of ecig guys...
http://vapormoon.com/High_Powered_Saber_Touch.html
The switch looks sweet on these...THC(hinthint, if not patented)
Edit:I will be ingesting flavor for a little while anyways... Got some atty's and hopefully some good juice on their way. Wish me luck, been smoking for 14 years.

havealight101,

OF

Both good points OF and Bob. I think I may take the risk?
I'm not really seeing a lot of ecig guys keel over from flavor. Speaking of ecig guys...
http://vapormoon.com/High_Powered_Saber_Touch.html
The switch looks sweet on these...THC(hinthint, if not patented)
Edit:I will be ingesting flavor for a little while anyways... Got some atty's and hopefully some good juice on their way. Wish me luck, been smoking for 14 years.

For sure e-cig 'juice' is a whole other matter. I assume it's certified for that use. Candy flavor, OTOH, is probably not. I have no worries about the former.

Neat products, but the switch doesn't actually carry lots of current in the THC designs. In fact last night at the show, G told me that he uses commercial elevator buttons.....good call, IMO.

Hey, wishing you all the luck I don't need.....

Thanks.

OF

OF,
For sure e-cig 'juice' is a whole other matter. I assume it's certified for that use. Candy flavor, OTOH, is probably not. I have no worries about the former.

Neat products, but the switch doesn't actually carry lots of current in the THC designs. In fact last night at the show, G told me that he uses commercial elevator buttons.....good call, IMO.

Hey, wishing you all the luck I don't need.....

Thanks.

OF

Thanks, I was assuming "candy flavor" from the .com was e-cig flavoring. I will definitely do some research b4 pulling the trigger on something like that.
I'm thinking FC chatroom would be nice.

havealight101,

OF

Thanks, I was assuming "candy flavor" from the .com was e-cig flavoring. I will definitely do some research b4 pulling the trigger on something like that.
I'm thinking FC chatroom would be nice.

I've actually never chatted.....but could be nice. In the day sometimes we'd do the same basic deal by telex when at sea. It can be a fun and effective way to exchange ideas....but some of you guys into that stuff will have to make it happen....I don't wear a watch or carry a cell phone (two clues....).

OF

OF,
Top Bottom