Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Im a little confused about the sr-71 can someone please explain to me its benefits?

Sure.

1 year warranty.

No heating wires means more even vapor as all the oil is heated up at the same time.

Lowet tempretures means that the heater will not combust impurities as heating wire based vaporizers will

It can vaporize all concentrates no matter what the extraction method is.

Complete user serviceable.

Complete oil recovery means you don't have to lose 1 drop due to malfunction. Other units you have to clean it and in some cases torch the cartridge to make sure it's clean before you ship it off.

No solder

No silica wick or glass rods

Medical grade parts.

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
Im a little confused about the sr-71 can someone please explain to me its benefits?

Let's see... the ability to vape anything from Pure Gold to hash to anything in between, the ability to reclaim basically 100% of your meds quickly and easily, the ability to break down the entire unit by yourself and without needing tools of any kind, amazing flavor, the ability to take small wispy hits or huge lung busting tokes, and never having to buy replacement carts again.

Edit, looks like g beat me to it

Caligula,
Reactions: Aether

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Thanks ataxian!

Am I mistaken that there isn't a shorter tube/handle available?

That is kinda bigger than I thought it would be. (That's what she said"-Michael Scott)

Silver420Surfer,

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
Recently bought a Dabbler by VaporBros for sharing with friends simply because of the dummy-proof factor (they usually fuck the carts up) as well as that the internal electronics that are supposed to monitor the temp of the coil so you never get the burned taste if the coil is saturated...

BUT I still find myself reaching for the Persei day after day for those non-stop, EFFORTLESS, and oh SO TASTY hits.. Also opted to bring the little bugger (THE PERSEI) to Chicago instead of the Dabbler simply because of the safety factor (doob-tube the cart and have a Ce4 tank with nic juice on the Persei) for the car ride just in case.
I need a Nibbler badly..
Who's got an extra layin around haha
G, My original post was not about how much I liked the Dabbler... It was about how I would rather hit my Persei any day of the week, as well as travel with it over the other device.

Just for the record.

Back to the Persei.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
G, My original post was not about how much I liked the Dabbler... It was about how I would rather hit my Persei any day of the week, as well as travel with it over the other device.

Just for the record.

Back to the Persei.

I know boss but I come from a different place where you don't fuck with sick people and you sure as hell don't bs them when it comes to their health and well being.

On a brighter side. They are here.

6B63C0F7-CEDD-45F5-B138-CF86236AA906-2425-000002F8A4F6CF3A_zps483c6d71.jpg

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
No no these are for the nibbler. The current Hercules mouth pieces are to long so these are made to accommodate the Nibbler.
Very cool looking design on that Nibbler setup!
I hate to keep asking, but that little guy on the far right, he can handle the SR-71, right?

My mind is all crazy after these things called Green Hornet that I ate, by cheeba chews. WHOO HOOO!!!!

Silver420Surfer,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Very cool looking design on that Nibbler setup!
I hate to keep asking, but that little guy on the far right, he can handle the SR-71, right?

My mind is all crazy after these things called Green Hornet that I ate, by cheeba chews. WHOO HOOO!!!!

Yes that little guy on the right can handle the black or blue rod without any issues.

In fact the aw 18350 is rated at 6 amps while the black rod at most will draw 5.4 amps.

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
I know boss but I come from a different place where you don't fuck with sick people and you sure as hell don't bs them when it comes to their health and well being.

On a brighter side. They are here.

6B63C0F7-CEDD-45F5-B138-CF86236AA906-2425-000002F8A4F6CF3A_zps483c6d71.jpg

Does that mean that they're shipping out earlier than Wednesday? :brow:

kindbeats,

OF

Of it's called an ego because that's what the form factor is.

What your saying now is that dabbler is now a pulse width modulation?

On the second point, I'm guessing that it's using PWM since that's the traditional way to regulate the power. How it happens isn't so important compared to the idea that it is changed automatically in response to the temperature (not battery voltage, phase of the moon or time of day). The difference is, I think, the ability to sense the result of the heating (the temperature delivered and adjust) much as a cruse control on a car senses the actual speed and adjusts the throttle in the carburetor to compensate. If, OTOH, the car uses fuel injection so instead of adjusting the carb that's not there it tweaks the fuel injectors that does not change the point that the car uses a speed control scheme. How it works with what it has available to control the power is not as important as the idea it does or does not.

On the first point I don't agree. Again, to look at cars I'm saying that there's a 4WD car with anti spin traction control as part of it's design (Audi??) and you're saying that can't be because Toyotas only dive two wheels (after all they're both passenger cars). AFAIK you're the only guy calling the Dabbler an Ego because it looks like one, I'm sure not.

BTW, has it occurred to you that provided Iris has sufficient resolution in it's A/D converter(s) it could be simply reprogrammed to exploit this same thing? Iris could do it too. Maybe. No hardware change at all (if the right level stuff is being used), simply a program change.....basically what VB is claiming is happening with Dabbler. Same stuff inside, different software. Yes, I'm saying I think you could incorporate the feature using any cart that showed this big shift in resistance with temperature......like say SR71? Of course it would actually have to be possible for you to do it.......

Form factor != internal components

Exactly so, thanks.

OF, no disrespect to you but You clearly left out a BIG part of that post. In between "Likewise" and "You" paragraphs you said this "Once 'spin' on technical terms for marketing advantage (what I call 'hype') raises it's head it's hard to get past, at least for me. No doubt about it, 'controlled temperature' and 'silica and fiber glass free' are sales advantages."

So you left that thread feeling/saying the same thing some of us are questioning here. You may have left "taking him at his word" but you clearly quipped that it was just more marketing hype.

I'm not trying to "look for trouble", contrary to your "Did you read on, or looking for trouble" quip"
and yes, I did read on, hence this post.

Actually I was trying to edit out parts that I didn't think related to your original question, which I took to be 'why did you change your mind?'. I'm not sure I really changed my mind (I'm not sure it's actually being done, only that it could be and I'll trust the guy (take him at his word) until I have reason not to). I prefer to think of it as 'backing off' on the 'how can you say that' point I'd made before?

I'll stand by the spin idea I put up there (you quoted above) but think it's a different topic than your original question? Again once the idea that 'this is all just spin' has been raised (and it was over silica fibers first remember.....), it's hard to get past. An elephant in the parlor as the saying goes. "Controlled temperature" and "glass free" are two such terms with such potential for abuse abuse I thought.....still do in fact.

I wasn't trying to hide anything, just editing out parts that didn't relate to your question. Some seem to actually think my posts tend to be long enough without repeating stuff I said a year and a half ago....... Strange, no?

I agree with "you left that thread feeling/saying the same thing some of us are questioning here". Close enough. More over I entered that thread saying as much. I sure don't claim to be the only guy who questions it, maybe the first, but not the only. And I still question it but am willing to give the benefit of the doubt since the fellow gives a reasonable explanation on how he makes that happen. If you say you've climbed Mt. Everest and can 'talk like a rock climber' I'll accept your saying you're one of the 3000 or so that have done it enough to not press for more details.

The reason I asked if you'd read past the post you quoted from (but didn't cite), past the 'but you personally said....' part, is because two and four posts later the answer to your question was right there......no need to ask otherwise? It was a long way to go back to find the point, from there the answer was pretty easy to find I thought. Still do I guess?

To summarize, I openly questioned the 'temperature controlled' claim, giving my reasons (no obvious temperature sensor) since I knew that with such a sensor temperature control was possible, but not without one. The fellow pointed to a possible scheme to sense temperature I didn't consider since I didn't think he had sufficient resolution to make it work. Frankly, I still am not sure he does (or how well it works, it might regulate to say a 50 or 100 degree wide window....regulation but of questionable use). But he answered to my satisfaction my question there, 'how can you make that claim?'. Having given me a technically possible (IMO, meaning it fits my understanding and experience) answer I choose to back off until I knew more.....and I'm sure not going to call him a liar until that bridge is well crossed. Hopefully some day someone will test it out, much as I try to test claims and performance of the vapes I can (Omicron supplies using AW IMRs, Solo and Ascent temperatures leaping to mind as examples you might know?). It's in my nature to experiment when I can usefully.

Do I question more carefully statements from makers and salesmen that might just be smoke and mirrors to suck in the innocent? Yeah, you betcha, don't you? "Profiling" perhaps, but I like to think of it in other terms. Guys standing to make a profit from statements made get a second consideration when it comes to claims of superiority over their competitors at a fundamental level as well as claims that their competitors can't possibly be doing what they claim do. I prefer to think of it as 'informed skepticism' or something like that but if 'profiling' fits your pistol better, I can live with that I guess. I'm old school, I don't think pre judging (early tentative decisions based on partial information) is the same as prejudice (refusal to accept ideas you don't already 'know' to be true).....if that makes any sense?

Thanks again for the thoughts. Regards to all.

OF

OF,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
OF it does not adjust voltage at all.

Yes it's possible, but it is not in this case.

As I keep saying this over and over again voltage adjustment is needed to adjust temperatures in this case that's not present. The only thing is present is a static temperature. Preset by the constant voltage and static resistence.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

OF

OF it does not adjust voltage at all.

Yes it's possible, but it is not in this case.

As I keep saying this over and over again voltage adjustment is needed to adjust temperatures in this case that's not present. The only thing is present is a static temperature. Preset by the constant voltage and static resistence.

Yes, the voltage is what it is (less some internal drops). Duty cycle can be used to change the effective voltage however. How does Iris do it? I think I've asked that a few times? Home light dimmers do this too. Varying the fraction of time something is on 'full blast' is a way of controlling it. You can regulate your car speed by flooring it and backing off and coasting then flooring it again. Not recommended in cars, but just fine in the right kind of electronics. Very common place, motor speed controllers live on this technology (or they blow up.....). This is what makes 'switching power supplies' work so well, they switch power on and off. Sometimes called 'choppers' for the obvious reason. When on they are on there are 'no losses' (unlike linear supplies), and likewise when they're off there are no losses. They are 'never half on', but rather 'on half the time'. The losses (inefficiency) comes from the transition times between on and off (and the other way) for practical purposes. I think Dabbler is probably doing this, like the other VV e-cigs do. In their cases the voltage also doesn't vary in amplitude (always 6 Volts typically) but the duty cycle does.

I've never said it adjusts the voltage (at least I hope not) but rather the power delivered. Voltage times percent on time squared divided by resistance for those taking notes.

Adjusting the voltage is not the only way to change the power, as I've said a time or two as well. This is a dynamic thing, simple Ohm's Law reasoning won't cover it. You need to look at the whole system. Timing matters too.

And the resistance is not static, it changes with temperature....which is exactly how we got started I think? That alone will give 'first order correction' for temperature.....as demonstrated by SR71?

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Your right OF it does use pulse width modulation, i simply over looked that as i have not looked at my notes on the ego for over 2 years, ill be the bigger man and say so, I simply just didnt realize that is how it attains a 3.7v constant voltage. this design isnt new to them or anyone else. Simple been around since 2007 when ego was introduced.

But this will be laid to rest.

I just got fed up with this and had to get this done.

Ok a standard 650 mah ego battery needs to be around 71 mm length x 14-15 mm diameter.

A standard 900mah ego battery needs to be around 91mm length x 14-15 mm diameter.

In order for this circuitry to exist the ego battery needs an additional 50-60mm of length.

Making a 900mah 91 mm + 50mm = 141 mm. Thats = 5.5 inches give or take a 1/4 inch.

the 650 mah 71 mm being 121 mm. Thats a whooping 4.8 inches give or take 1/4 inch.

Here is what im talking about.

5th one from the left thats a rgo 650 at around 71 mm.

that is a 3.3v ego battery, using a pwm modulation to control it at 3.3v.

Now compare that battery to the 8th down from the left. the ego 650 with variable voltage. That requires an additional 20 mm just for variable voltage, we are not even talking about a complicated detect and switch circuitry.

Now compare the the dabbler with the 5th one down. Does it look about the same length?

Here this next one shows you a typical ego circuit board.

Now i spent the last 8 hours with 12 different engineers from the largest manufacturers and all of them have confirmed independently the size of the circuit board required to do what you say it does needs to be around 50-60 mm of additional length on top of any current ego sizes.

Now a single 650 mah battery uses a 13450 cell. That is 45 mm long, that leaves about 26mm for circuit boards, shell wall thickness, wires and connectors.

You mean to tell me. Some how in the space of 26mm a company in china has managed to stick in a circuit board that can detect and manipulate voltage automatically without any other company doing it? Really? This is China they copy everything. Please dont say there could be only one, because even the biggest manufacturer has its circuit boards made by the same guys as the little guys. Its standard pieces now.

Here is the best part OF

Inconel wire is Nichrome. Just another fancy name like Teflon. Marketing tactic.

Nicrome's resistance changes are so low that even trying to compensate for it does not matter.

Example under testing of nichrome wire. Our nichrome wire.

3.7v + 2.4 ohms = 5.704 watts

Loaded a 2.4 ohm cart and it became 2.6 ohms when running for 10 seconds straight. Thats a 5.72 % change in resistance. This means it became less resistant and now requires more voltage to keep the temperature.

Now PWM needs to modify the voltage to achieve the 5.704 watts the circuit board has to modify the voltage from 3.7v to 3.85v thats a pin point accuracy of 2.8%.

OF there is a 2% +/- rate on the Iris.

Now with PWM systems here is the kicker part that no one can get by. PWM can never supply more voltage then the battery output. Meaning this.

a single 3.7v cell can never ever ever ever ever ever provide 5v under pulse width modulation without a boost circuit board.

The Unit can hold its temperature when empty good job, this means it should be glowing red when its full. Since logically it knows when its empty and when its full right?

So why does the unit glow when its empty and reach 1300F but when its full it only reaches 600F?

Does it not know that its empty? It should since it can read wire resistance.

If it does not know when it is empty and can not tell that the wire resistance has changed.

Then what happened to temperature control you say it has?

As simple as i can say this. A self adjusting PWM modulation system based on wire resistance readings is not possible in the current ego format not unless you add a minimum of minimum if 40 mm to it. Most likely 55mm

So conclusion it can be done, but its not by any one currently out there.

Anyone says other wise, i tell them show me the circuit board.

OF why does the unit glow when its empty? and not when its full? No way you can answer that because even on that site they admit to it being bs because some how it glows when its empty, yet it wont when its full. This means it cant control the temperatures. If it can then it wont glow when its empty. Has no need to because it can detect wire resistance.

You mean to tell me that when it needs 4.2v it boosts the voltage by using a boost circuit because air flow and to much material are present?

How can it boost to 4.2v when the battery voltage is 4.1? I thought PWM systems cant boost without stacking.

This means after the battery loses its first .1 v then it becomes useless as it cant control the temperature anymore?

For anyone who does not know pulse width modulation works this way.

Take 1 second.

If for that full second the voltage from the battery is 4.2v then the voltage average is 4.2v

Now take that same second.

If half that time the voltage output is 4.2v and the other half is 0v then that 1 second average drops to 2.1v.

In order for pulse width modulation to work correctly it needs a boost circuit.

Because once the battery drops down from 4.2v lets say 4.0v then That system just went to shit because it can never reach 4.2v again without a boost circuit.

That is why the dabbler is set at 3.7v this means that the unit is 89% on and 11% off. This still does not mean it adjusts the width of the pulses to compensate for wire resistance changes.

So if you take 1 second and divide that into tenths then it's on .89 seconds and off .11 seconds. This averages out to 3.7v

This goes back to my previous point. Without a boost circuit the system just does not work and does not exist.

I thought I seen it all even with my fuck up I never thought anyone would call a static Pwm temperature control. This means it never changes.

How can you claim you control the waves in the ocean when all your doing is moving your hands? Would the waves stop if you do? If they don't does it still mean you controlled them when your moving your hands?
OF this brings a whole new meaning to waving to someone. Hey maybe that's why they call it waving. Maybe some guy high on LSD tried it.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Here is the best part OF
Inconel wire is Nichrome. Just another fancy name like Teflon. Marketing tactic.
Nicrome's resistance changes are so low that even trying to compensate for it does not matter.

OK great stuff for sure!

Now I'm a different sort of engineer than you or "OF".

I was involved in bigger items.

I used a lot of INCONEL wire for HOT WIRE application.

Why because the NICHROME would heat up and snap!

The INCONEL under the same load would not snap?

Even though it was almost 2x the price I used INCONEL.

It may be basically the same as NICHROME however the quality of the INCONEL was superior regardless of theory.

In the CNC world INCONEL is what is used in the better HOT WIRE machines!

I bought a roll of 500 feet.
"Best investment at the time"!

OF

Your right OF it does use pulse width modulation, i simply over looked that as i have not looked at my notes on the ego for over 2 years, ill be the bigger man and say so, I simply just didnt realize that is how it attains a 3.7v constant voltage. this design isnt new to them or anyone else. Simple been around since 2007 when ego was introduced.

But this will be laid to rest.

I just got fed up with this and had to get this done.

So conclusion it can be done, but its not by any one currently out there.

Excellent news! Thank you for checking. I agree (of course) it's probably using PWM to control the power. I'm going to overlook the "ill be the bigger man" part, although I only see two of us in this so it begs the question 'bigger than who?'.

I sure don't want to degrade this into 'but you can't fit all that stuff into that size package'. That's pure speculation IMO. If the idea is possible it's possible. I still see no reason to call the man a liar. He may have done it, I strongly doubt he'd have thrown the gauntlet down like that with nothing to back it up. It would invite competitors like you to prove him wrong wouldn't it? All you have to do is buy any one of those dozen engineers on your staff one to test for you?

This is by way of saying I don't agree with "its not by any one currently out there' more so since there's one credible guy making claiming to be doing so. If it can be done, why not by him? He too can hire clever engineers to produce the possible?

Here is the best part OF

I thought I seen it all even with my fuck up I never thought anyone would call a static Pwm temperature control. This means it never changes.

No. Inconel is a family Nichrome (not Iron) based alloys. They are all different than the others with different properties:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel

It is not marketing, it's (Material) Science and Engineering.

How do you even know he's using Inconel? There are other options too......like what SR71 is using for instance?

Your experience with Nichrome doesn't really matter any more than TV's experience with a different alloy that shows basically zero temperature coefficient. What does your experience with SR71 (where there's what a 50% increase in resistance?) tell you? How are you sure that's not the alloy he's using?

I never said it was static PWM, you did. I've said several times I think PWM is the probable technique and is actively varied to take care of changes in battery voltage and load. I never said it was static, I don't believe it is, never have. It can't be if it's going to be useful. Your understanding of more simple PWM circuits (ones that don't consider the temperature) is also in error. They are not static. Consider what happens when that 4.2 Volt battery degrades to say 4.0? What happens? The pulse width is automatically adjusted to a longer on time to compensate, right? To keep the same average voltage? In the face of normal battery voltage changes? It depends on what you "close the (feedback) loop around". PWM can definitely be part of temperature control.....in fact it's the way it's usually done on PID controllers.....it's what the P part is you know, "Proportional"? What portion of the cycle is on? The very name of this advanced type of control includes the concept of varying the pulse width.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Now I'm a different sort of engineer than you or "OF".

Why because the NICHROME would heat up and snap!

The INCONEL under the same load would not snap?

Even though it was almost 2x the price I used INCONEL.

It may be basically the same as NICHROME however the quality of the INCONEL was superior regardless of theory.

Yeah I heard that different from me part before. Not only better looking but a much better dancer as well? Kind of explains why the ladies won't leave you alone or stay in the same room with me if there's nobody else there doesn't it?

Yes, for sure Inconel is not the same as Nichrome. Different electrical properties, much different physical properties including both higher temperatures and corrosion resistance. That's why it's made, of course. If it was no different than a cheaper offering, who would buy it? Also in that group is Monel, another useful Nickle alloy, also a possible?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel

Useful properties for some, which is exactly why the prices are higher?

Thanks guys.

FWIW I still think this is possible with Iris and SR71, more or less as built now? Maybe only a program change? It might not be necessary, but I think it's possible?

OF

OF,
Reactions: ataxian

Caligula

Maximus
So I was screwing around in my office today and decided to tape a straw into the end of my Hercules just to see how it would effect the hits I get. Shockingly, it mellowed them out and really chilled things down noticeably! I wouldn't think 8 inches of thin plastic tube would help that much but it really did.

So this got me thinking... has anyone attached a whip to one of these? Is UP Tech making or going to make anything similar to this (sans water)? Am I crazy?

Last edited:
Caligula,
Reactions: OF

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Not how I would use my concentrates, but they've connected tubing to every other portable, don't see why not. It's kind of like the people who buy a VXH Cloud/EVO and then hook it up to silicon tubing. It's like a downgrade but you can do it.

BTW, I am an admitted vape snob, so take that into account.

Last edited:

OF

So this got me thinking... has anyone attached a whip to one of these? Is UP Tech making or going to make anything similar to this (sans water)? Am I crazy?

Truth be told one of my favorite accessories is a foot or a bit more of 1/4 X 3/8 high temperature silicone tube with one of my HA stems in one end. The other end has a two inch long piece of 'nesting' 3/8 X 1/2 inch tube on it that mates up with most stuff i use. Solo, Omicron carts, Cera carts, the Ascent I'm testing right now, nibbler and most anything else I might be hitting all get hooked up sometimes. Not only is it cooler but it gives better vision of the output vapor to guide the hit. I really 'fell in love' with the idea way back when when someone (BDV?) suggested such a gizzie to watch Omicron cart output to learn about controlling the heat properly. Opened my eyes.....well let the see better anyway.

I don't have my Hercules or the bigger Nibbler for it yet, but I'm sure to put the hose to them too when the time comes.

Good idea, IMO. Doesn't mean you're not crazy too, of course. But, if it makes you feel better......

OF

Caligula

Maximus
Not how I would use my concentrates, but they've connected tubing to every other portable, don't see why not. It's kind of like the people who buy a VXH Cloud/EVO and then hook it up to silicon tubing. It's like a downgrade but you can do it.

BTW, I am an admitted vape snob, so take that into account.

Can you elaborate on how its a downgrade?

Truth be told one of my favorite accessories is a foot or a bit more of 1/4 X 3/8 high temperature silicone tube with one of my HA stems in one end. The other end has a two inch long piece of 'nesting' 3/8 X 1/2 inch tube on it that mates up with most stuff i use. Solo, Omicron carts, Cera carts, the Ascent I'm testing right now, nibbler and most anything else I might be hitting all get hooked up sometimes. Not only is it cooler but it gives better vision of the output vapor to guide the hit. I really 'fell in love' with the idea way back when when someone (BDV?) suggested such a gizzie to watch Omicron cart output to learn about controlling the heat properly. Opened my eyes.....well let the see better anyway.

I don't have my Hercules or the bigger Nibbler for it yet, but I'm sure to put the hose to them too when the time comes.

Good idea, IMO. Doesn't mean you're not crazy too, of course. But, if it makes you feel better......

OF

I have some high temp silicone tubing left over from my turbo swap (automotive use), however I am not sure about the safety of such material for "medical" use. Obviously its a high grade silicone thats resistant to coolant/oil/heat/pressure/vac/etc... however it IS designed for automotive applications, so IDK how that would work out regarding sucking on it all the time (silicone grade?).

Also its black, not clear :(

Thoughts? What type of tube do people use for an application like this?

Caligula,
Reactions: OF
Top Bottom