Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
everyone talks about the battery but what about the carts and atomizers ect...are those being scrutinized as much as they could be (quality control , high grade parts, non toxic ect) ?

Sure MSDS reports is what you need.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I didn't say or claim anything... Just copy pasted. Have you taken one of the Dabbler batteries apart? Hard to see what's inside when all you see is the outside.

My claims are from experience and yes we didn't see a temperature controlled anything just a standard ego battery.

My question has anyone taken it apart and looked at it?

THC SCIENTIFIC,

OF

Just because people arnt calling it an ego doesn't mean it's not.

The form factor is a Ego, basically a name that stuck when joy tech came out with the first ego batteries. Like cotton swabs or more commonly known as qtips.

I get it. "Crecent Wrench" is just an 'adjustable end wrench', originally made by the Crecent Tool Company. Better than a Monkey wrench for most uses....a common name from a different sort of source.

What it's called wasn't the original issue, IMO, at least not what prompted me to post. It was the rejection as impossible the claims that the Dabbler had temperature control in operation.....as I've said several times I've no idea how Ego got into that conversation more so since we both know cosmetics is not the determining factor in such things. I'm sure you too object to the idea that Omicron V1 is a cheap, repackaged e-cig with an obsolete connector. Or that the Omicron cart is just a cheap cartomizer with threads to match.

I'm just saying I favor giving the guy the benefit of the doubt if I think it's at least possible, I'm not about to call him a liar based on looks of his product.

everyone talks about the battery but what about the carts and atomizers ect...are those being scrutinized as much as they could be (quality control , high grade parts, non toxic ect) ?

An excellent point. From a health standpoint that's where the important stuff is for sure. The electrons from the battery aren't going to hurt you no matter, the safety issues are with the cart. Many savvy guys are concerned about such things, some might say overly concerned, but that's a pretty subjective call I think.

Ironically it's easier to get a handle on the battery part since there are more knowns to work with.

Thanks for reminding us. Easy (and fun sometimes) to get distracted.

My question has anyone taken it apart and looked at it?

I sure haven't. I'm not at all convinced you can tell by inspection, the hardware could be identical. The way to know is to actually test the function. The alleged maker states:

"Holds it's Temperature : When you blow on the red-hot coil of a genuine Dabbler, you will notice the wire will stay red-hot. Imitation products will immediately cool off and loose the red color, even when the battery is operating at full capacity."
http://vape-pen.com/Home.php

I've never been a wire blower myself, but perhaps this is a useful test....and one that doesn't require cracking the unit. I'm not sure, since it charges as it's used in 'passthrough mode', you can tell by current draw but that's probably the way I'd first try to test the theory.

OF

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I didn't say or claim anything... Just copy pasted. Have you taken one of the Dabbler batteries apart? Hard to see what's inside when all you see is the outside.
Yes. I mentioned back a few posts that my Dabbler battery broke and I did take it apart. Not knowing what to look for, since i'd never had to or wanted to take apart an e-go battery, I looked on Youtube at other peeps taking apart their e-gos and it looks identical to my eyes. Also, if these batteries are tuned to the Dabbler carts or whatever, shouldn't I see a performance drop or a burn out of the cart or something when using a non-dabbler battery? I have for a good while now, with ZERO performance drop.

Also from that Vape-Pen website regarding the microprocessor "This unit contains the battery and microprocessor, and has a dual-use feature which includes both the "pass through function", and the rechargeable state-of-the-art 650 milliamp lithium ion battery." Nothing saying it has some special temp control.

And for the Dabbler on the Vape Pen page says this; "Never Too Hot : Our advanced microprocessor is specifically programmed for the optimum temperature for herbal concentrate vaporization; This will preserve the original flavor complex of your oils as well as the potency and efficacy of the vapor itself." If unique to the Dabbler(and not vape pens own branded pen) why does my Vapo Dab cart do the same with my e-go 650mah batt? Same great taste, rips, etc?
I don't buy it, even if I can't disprove it.

Last edited:

jpdnkstr

Let's "dabble" elsewhere. Pun intended. There is just no way to even compare that "ego" based pen to the multiple capabilities of my Persei! I want to laugh like a mad scientist when I think about it! Didn't D9 offer a ego w cart that was basically a dabbler coil? Nevermind.... I don't care I have a Herc!

OF

Nothing saying it has some special temp control.

I don't buy it, even if I can't disprove it.

Actually I think both sites do list the feature, I've quoted both here in the last page or two. Read a bit further on on, past the part you posted? The very next statement is:

"Holds it's Temperature : When you blow on the red-hot coil of a genuine Dabbler, you will notice the wire will stay red-hot. Imitation products will immediately cool off and loose the red color, even when the battery is operating at full capacity."

For sure you can 'buy it' or not as you see fit. I just question calling the maker a liar when there's no real proof he's not doing what he claims. Giving the benefit of the doubt is a long standing principle in our society, one we all appreciate on the receiving end I think?

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I get it. "Crecent Wrench" is just an 'adjustable end wrench', originally made by the Crecent Tool Company. Better than a Monkey wrench for most uses....a common name from a different sort of source.

What it's called wasn't the original issue, IMO, at least not what prompted me to post. It was the rejection as impossible the claims that the Dabbler had temperature control in operation.....as I've said several times I've no idea how Ego got into that conversation more so since we both know cosmetics is not the determining factor in such things. I'm sure you too object to the idea that Omicron V1 is a cheap, repackaged e-cig with an obsolete connector. Or that the Omicron cart is just a cheap cartomizer with threads to match.

I'm just saying I favor giving the guy the benefit of the doubt if I think it's at least possible, I'm not about to call him a liar based on looks of his product.

An excellent point. From a health standpoint that's where the important stuff is for sure. The electrons from the battery aren't going to hurt you no matter, the safety issues are with the cart. Many savvy guys are concerned about such things, some might say overly concerned, but that's a pretty subjective call I think.

Ironically it's easier to get a handle on the battery part since there are more knowns to work with.

Thanks for reminding us. Easy (and fun sometimes) to get distracted.

I sure haven't. I'm not at all convinced you can tell by inspection, the hardware could be identical. The way to know is to actually test the function. The alleged maker states:

I've never been a wire blower myself, but perhaps this is a useful test....and one that doesn't require cracking the unit. I'm not sure, since it charges as it's used in 'passthrough mode', you can tell by current draw but that's probably the way I'd first try to test the theory.

OF

See that's the part that says holds the temperature.

If the battery gives you 3.7v with no load and 3.7v with load one would say that's holding the temperature right?

If yes then majority of egos do this. Nothing special and that's not considered temperature control that's actually just a standard pcb board.

In fact when testing the coils out we subjected it to many did deferent tests none of which shows any temperature control what so ever.

As for the Omicron v1 I never stated it wasn't a ecig battery at all, in fact no post here exists me stating it is a brand new design.

For the cartridges same goes. It's all based on the ecig technology. Fortunately for us we didnt have to bs like almost everyone else.

We took ecig technology and made it work for oils that's why you see so many companies on the band wagon.

But one things for sure we didnt do any bs claims.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
OF, what made you change your mind?

from the VB Dabbler thread,

"OK. So we're talking about (relatively large) fibers made of glass, but they're not fiber glass..... I'm having trouble with the distinction I guess? And if it's glass, it's near a lead pipe cinch it's silica glass. Sand. I think it's fair to use all those terms. It can be a matter of degrees, but the definitions hold I think.

However, that's a minor quibble compared to this lo-lo from the web site:

"The Dabbler’s temperature controlled heating element...".

Temperature controlled? I call BS. Show me the control. It's a two pin e-cig. Deceptive advertising is being kind IMO. To me that sours my take on the product and makes it hard to trust the maker. Once hype gets loose........
" quoth OF

:popcorn:

OF

OF, what made you change your mind?

Did you read on, or just go looking for trouble? I backed off because two posts later he explained that part:

"Temperature controller is a huge YES. A smart circuit measures the resistance of the heating element while you hold the button down. Since the wire we use changes its resistance with temperature, the controller knows the temperature of the wire. If the wire is cooler than the target temperature, the heater runs at power and vigorously boils off the wax until it's gone. If the temperature strays above the set point the heater pauses until the temperature falls again. All of this happens 10 times a second. Well shit, that's as far as I should go for now. Beyond that is all secret- what's programmed into the microchip, how it actually does its thing."

Which I took as being at least reasonable, still do. The change you ask about came the day, two posts later:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapor-brothers-dabbler.8595/page-2#post-358440

Where I said in part in response to this issue (remember there were several there):

"Likewise, I understand the idea of temperature sensing you suggest, have used it (resistance change to determine temperature) for copper coils and the like over the years. Never seen any a working example for something like this. It's, of course, a very easy thing to test (although I don't feel inclined to buy one just to do so.....).

You have a good reputation, no doubt well earned. That fits with my tendency to take folks at their word. I'm simply calling them as I see them and giving my reasons for doing so. How seriously that should be considered folks can decide for themselves. In general, it's a very good thing new products are entering the market, in that I wish you well."

So, when answered by a reasonable explanation I backed off....get the difference? IMO important to question thing, but also 'right' to take someone at their word when they offer a reasonable answer.

Does that clear it up for you? Thanks for asking. Just out of idle curiosity where do you think the observation that 'this cart only has two pins, how can you do that without connections for a sensor' came from? I believe I was first to point that out and the first guy to accept the maker's answer?

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
OF your statement proves my point. The voltage is a constant 3.7v with load and without load.

Paired with their atomizer it's a constant temperature and never changes. This does not mean temperature control.

In fact given the voltage is constant and does not change under load changing out the atomizers changes the temperature. Because of different watts supplied.

To sit there and tell me that you believe that statement without verification and the fact that the circuit board inside the ego is just for charging and short circuit protection is absurd.

My statement still stands.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: ataxian

Caligula

Maximus
I think what he meant is that the voltage is always constant. IIRC this system is supposed to control temp by adjusting voltage. if the voltage is the same with
and without load, then one might assume that there is no control going on in regards to heat at the element.

Then again I'm pretty medicated right now...

In any case has anyone tried hitting a Dabbler coil with a laser thermometer?

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Actually that's exactly what temperature control means, holding the temperature in the face of change....keeping it constant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_control

What did you think temperature control meant?

OF

OF majority if ego batteries do that.

3.7v + 1.5 ohms = 9.1 watts
3.7v + 2.5 ohms = 5.5 watts

Tell me again how it's keeping the same temperature? As we all know that 1.5 ohm is going to be hotter.

What your saying no matter what ohm cart I put on that ego battery it's going to give me the same watt. That's clearly not the case in this situation as the voltage might be constant the wattage changes with resistance and there for no controller.

So that's why the voltage stays the same because it can't adjust itself.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: ataxian

OF

I think what he meant is that the voltage is always constant. IIRC this system is supposed to control temp by adjusting voltage. if the voltage is the same with
and without load, then one might assume that there is no control going on in regards to heat at the element.

I'm not sure, I read 'constant temperate proves it's not temperature controlled'. That's the part I quoted and responded to. Back to the 'is the Dabbler temperature controlled or not' point.

My guess is it's duty cycle controlled, that is it's rapidly switched on and off so the percent of on time is multiplied by the battery voltage to provide the final total needed. The voltage is most likely not constant (and if it is it's six volts traditionally) but drops with the battery voltage (it stays on longer, a larger percentage of the time, to provide the same total power).

The exception is in the case of VV supplies. Here, to give the wider voltage range needed, you start by raising the battery voltage (whatever it happens to be at the time) to 6 Volts (maximum) and then doing duty cycle control of that for delivery. Such control, sometimes loosely called 'chopping', is why sometimes battery meters don't work for such devices. Note the caution on this one:
http://www.madvapes.com/battery-voltage-indicator-3364.html

Measuring the voltage is just not going to tell the whole story. If it's a temperature controlled system the way to confirm that is to test that function. Change the heat load and see if the temperature shifts. The maker suggests a 'blow on the coil test' that I assume proves this feature, or he would not be inviting folks to make the test?

Thanks for the thoughts.

OF majority if ego batteries do that.

Once again, the topic is not Ego batteries. No matter how define them. It's the Vape-pen controller as sold by Vapor Brothers as the Dabbler.

Why do you keep changing the subject on me?

OF

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
I love this thread and all of the info it provides but I don't think I'm alone in thinking that over the past few days, it has been nothing but constant arguing. More importantly, this current argument has absolutely nothing to do with the Persei. Can we please get back to discussing the item that this thread is dedicated to? A three page discussion about the capabilities of ego batteries and the possibility that another company is lying isn't exactly what I would call relevant to the Persei.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Guys not arguing just discussing.

Of it's called an ego because that's what the form factor is.

What your saying now is that dabbler is now a pulse width modulation?

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Form factor != internal components

Fortunately enough the ophos has the same internals with a minor changes. Long before the dabbler was out. In fact it was called the omicron v1 back then.

It's not temperature control,

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Right, my point was that just because it looks like an eGo on the outside doesn't mean that the exact same components are inside of it. What constitutes temperature control exactly? I would have thought that if it recognizes that the heating element is hotter than it should be, that cutting power until it drops to an acceptable level would be temp control? Sure, it's a rudimentary form of temp control, but isn't that still temp control?

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: OF

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
Guys not arguing just discussing.

Of it's called an ego because that's what the form factor is.

What your saying now is that dabbler is now a pulse width modulation?

Eh. Semantics. Either way, it's not pertinent to the discussion of the Persei. Why not have this "discussion" in the Dabbler thread? You guys have taken up three full pages with an argument that has NOTHING to do with the Persei. It's off putting to say the least.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Right, my point was that just because it looks like an eGo on the outside doesn't mean that the exact same components are inside of it. What constitutes temperature control exactly? I would have thought that if it recognizes that the heating element is hotter than it should be, that cutting power until it drops to an acceptable level would be temp control? Sure, it's a rudimentary form of temp control, but isn't that still temp control?

Actually that's issue the power is constant and never changes. The voltage drops when battery voltage is below 3.7v. If fully charged the battery voltage is 3.7v no matter what this means under load or no load.

Meaning this.

If battery voltage is between 3.7v -4.2v it is then output is always 3.7v given if the ohms is between 2.0ohms or lower resistance. That means 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0 and up.

If battery voltage drops below 3.7v then the output voltage is what ever the battery voltage.

This is present in majority of ego designs.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: OF

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Did you read on, or just go looking for trouble? I backed off because two posts later he explained that part:

"Temperature controller is a huge YES. A smart circuit measures the resistance of the heating element while you hold the button down. Since the wire we use changes its resistance with temperature, the controller knows the temperature of the wire. If the wire is cooler than the target temperature, the heater runs at power and vigorously boils off the wax until it's gone. If the temperature strays above the set point the heater pauses until the temperature falls again. All of this happens 10 times a second. Well shit, that's as far as I should go for now. Beyond that is all secret- what's programmed into the microchip, how it actually does its thing."

Which I took as being at least reasonable, still do. The change you ask about came the day, two posts later:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapor-brothers-dabbler.8595/page-2#post-358440

Where I said in part in response to this issue (remember there were several there):

"Likewise, I understand the idea of temperature sensing you suggest, have used it (resistance change to determine temperature) for copper coils and the like over the years. Never seen any a working example for something like this. It's, of course, a very easy thing to test (although I don't feel inclined to buy one just to do so.....).

You have a good reputation, no doubt well earned. That fits with my tendency to take folks at their word. I'm simply calling them as I see them and giving my reasons for doing so. How seriously that should be considered folks can decide for themselves. In general, it's a very good thing new products are entering the market, in that I wish you well."

So, when answered by a reasonable explanation I backed off....get the difference? IMO important to question thing, but also 'right' to take someone at their word when they offer a reasonable answer.

Does that clear it up for you? Thanks for asking. Just out of idle curiosity where do you think the observation that 'this cart only has two pins, how can you do that without connections for a sensor' came from? I believe I was first to point that out and the first guy to accept the maker's answer?

OF
OF, no disrespect to you but You clearly left out a BIG part of that post. In between "Likewise" and "You" paragraphs you said this "Once 'spin' on technical terms for marketing advantage (what I call 'hype') raises it's head it's hard to get past, at least for me. No doubt about it, 'controlled temperature' and 'silica and fiber glass free' are sales advantages."

So you left that thread feeling/saying the same thing some of us are questioning here. You may have left "taking him at his word" but you clearly quipped that it was just more marketing hype.

I'm not trying to "look for trouble", contrary to your "Did you read on, or looking for trouble" quip"
and yes, I did read on, hence this post.

Much respect for all your post info, and all of your knowledge you freely share here.
From looking for a post where I swore VB said we couldn't use their carts with another 510 threaded pen, i stumbled upon your old post, since we were discussing it here, I felt it pertinent to read what you wrote.
They didn't match, I posted it here, maybe i should of PM'd instead. I apologize if you feel I am out on the hunt for you, I certainly am not.

Thanks for putting up with the banter, mods, G, and other members who come here for Persei related info.
Getting out, before throw'd out!

Top Bottom