Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Oil420FL

I believe the even heating of an O’Connell wood vape is more due to the countersinking of the top above the bowl. If the NEO can produce an even roast of an O’Connell vape without the top, then I’d guess you’d get the same from a Sticky Brick. Can’t wait for my NEO delivery

Trackrat

I believe the even heating of an O’Connell wood vape is more due to the countersinking of the top above the bowl. If the NEO can produce an even roast of an O’Connell vape without the top, then I’d guess you’d get the same from a Sticky Brick. Can’t wait for my NEO delivery
Yes, I'm using the bottom part of a brick with great results . See my post #296. Daily use with this one.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Yes, I'm using the bottom part of a brick with great results . See my post #296. Daily use with this one.

Just got my Noisy Cricket from O'Connell the other day. Beautiful craftsmanship and it works great with the Neo! I test drove it a bit last night and loved the performance! Not only is the bowl generous in size, but the airflow is nicely uniform with very little draw resistance (even when I tamped the hell out of it). Very even toasting throughout the herb with no channeling or hotspots. The insulating nature of the wood also helps the efficiency, so the distance of the herb from the atty didn't have a negative impact. Needed to prime the bowl each time with a few puffs, but that's normal and helps me get it to my preferred temp/density. Can't wait to explore more!...

MikeRotchHertz

Finally figuring out that the combination of raising the screen a bit to meet the seal+ pre heating on top of the bowl like a lighter + monitoring draw rate to make sure the element stays glowing warm = great flavor and nice even brown AVB. I should have mastered this earlier because it's damn tasty!

Sorry for the shitty picture, I tried this one too many times.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Finally figuring out that the combination of raising the screen a bit to meet the seal+ pre heating on top of the bowl like a lighter + monitoring draw rate to make sure the element stays glowing warm = great flavor and nice even brown AVB. I should have mastered this earlier because it's damn tasty!

Sorry for the shitty picture, I tried this one too many times.

@MikeRotchHertz 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 So glad that you're playing with it and getting tasty pulls!

Monitoring the glow is a great way to get feedback on the flow rate! Depending on your power setting and ambient light conditions, you can adjust your pull so that the glow drops, but doesn't go away. If you don't see any drop in glow when pulling, then the seal should be checked. If the glow goes away entirely, then you may be pulling too hard (though once the Neo and bowl are primed, you can pull much harder). Note: it's really difficult to use glow feedback in the sunshine.

Kins

The glow goes completely away when inhaling. I've got to consciously try to breath in slower but it's still not slow enough. I still get hot spots and even burnt spots at the lowest setting. Still giving it a chance to shine though. I tried it today with a small bong. However, it still seems the thing runs too hot. After a couple hits the thing is super hot.

Last edited:

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Got my shipping notice the other day, mine should land Saturday, very excited and will need to dig out some bowls to try!
Likewise, I got some Smojo screens a couple months ago in anticipation. Anyone get a chance to use them with the Neo?

Also just brainstorming for a conduction/convection combo, stainless steel bowl to Conduct heat from the Neo? Lol.

MonkeyTime

Got my shipping notice the other day, mine should land Saturday, very excited and will need to dig out some bowls to try!
Ok, so I know a lot of people have had issues with USPS, but they have been the most consistent for me by far in these different times.....

My Neo will land in the next hour or two, my Smojo's tomorrow, when I may have time to dig for bowls. In the mean time I have enough adapters to work things out with my StickyBricks and glass.

Something about kit parts that feel modular or adaptable just sits right with me, and this is how the Neo looks, very excited!

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Thank you all for your patience as we have sorted through our supply chain challenges! We are happy to report that with our most recent shipment yesterday, we were able to fulfill ALL backorders... Yay!

In celebration, we'd like to offer the FC community a special discount of 15% with the code "KickAsh!"

We have inventory and we can deliver immediately. Woot!

-Mark

Oil420FL

Ok, so I know a lot of people have had issues with USPS, but they have been the most consistent for me by far in these different times.....

My Neo will land in the next hour or two, my Smojo's tomorrow, when I may have time to dig for bowls. In the mean time I have enough adapters to work things out with my StickyBricks and glass.

Something about kit parts that feel modular or adaptable just sits right with me, and this is how the Neo looks, very excited!
I've had USPS completely lose two packages since Thanksgiving. So Big Sigh of relief when my NEO arrived yesterday.

So Smojo screens will hold some heat and add a small amount of conduction to the bottom of the bowl?

JCat

Accessory Maker
I've been using the 14mm glass bowl I ordered from eBay for the NewVape flowerpot back in 2018. It works great and no screen required. :)

https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/flowerpot-showerhead-glass-bowl-from-ehle.26648/post-1255488

At first I had a hard time getting much vapour out of the Neo, but after a day of fooling around with it and trying different bowls and pipes, I found this one to be good and consistent, and can get nice clouds now and really, really good flavour!

El Rawn Hubbard

I've tried the NEO with a wooden pipe and a number of different glass combos. I've been happy with the device's adaptability given that each setup can suit a different grind size, technique and/or power level.

I really like the performance when using the wooden pipe, it's just that my cheap piece isn't very nice to use ergonomically. I've got some DIY ideas to make a wooden wpa/bowl and pipe when I've got more free time. At the moment my most used 'bowl' is an 18mm male joint with an EQ dome screen. The taper fits inside the quartz on the NEO and seals well enough.

I don't think it's easy to give this a simple review because some variables that will impact the user experience aren't related to the device itself. But so far ✅

Tolamang

Hey!

I just got my Neo yesterday and have spent a ton of time trying to dial it in.

I've been very unsuccessful getting vapour. The herb will char but Ill get very little vapour you can't even see and have to stir right after r no matter the heat setting. So I'm wasting a lot of herb because it's charrring and combusts even on one diamond setting.

I try to puff, puff, pull but I can't get any big clouds with a steady pull.

My only successful attempt was putting a basket screen directly in my 18m female piece downsttem with water in it and to vape it like that.

I even get hot spots and charring with no visible vapour with the ember pipe designed for it so I know it's a technique issue.

Any advice is appreciated because I think there's some major user error here.

Pleasy any advice is appreciated.

Tolamang,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

El Rawn Hubbard

I'm sure @Black_Prrl can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I seem to remember reading that modification is required to get the best results with the Ember pipe? It predates the NEO rather than being designed for it.

Are you using the silicone seal? It sounds like you're having difficulty regulating the air speed? The screen and grind size can play a big part in this too.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
I'm sure @Black_Prrl can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I seem to remember reading that modification is required to get the best results with the Ember pipe? It predates the NEO rather than being designed for it.

Are you using the silicone seal? It sounds like you're having difficulty regulating the air speed? The screen and grind size can play a big part in this too.

If anyone is having a challenge getting vapor, the seal is the first thing to check as that will have the biggest impact on performance. You can check the seal by watching the glow. It should drop when you inhale. If it doesn't drop then there is likely a gap in the seal, or you need to pull a bit harder with your inhalations.

We are in discussions with a few pipe and glass makers to produce bowls that make a great seal without the need for the adapter. One of those is O'Connell woodworks that @SixStringToker turned us onto. We are excited to work with him and others to produce higher performing bowls for you all! Please DM me if you know of other glass and pipe makers who might be interested in a partnership.

@Tolamang, I'm looking forward to connecting with you this afternoon to troubleshoot. Usually, just a couple of quick hints should enable you to dial it in. If others would like to schedule a one-to-one, please reach out to us at info@PrrlLabs.com or to me directly, mark@PrrlLabs.com

We are also having a virtual sesh this coming Saturday, exclusively for those who have ordered a Neo. If you have a Neo, then you should have received a recent email with that info. During the sesh, we'll answer any questions you have, and share different approaches and equipment that users have discovered.

-Mark

maremaresing

I feel like the big draw with the neo is being able to use it on any piece you take a fancy to. Kind of like going back to basics, and adapting to all the beautiful pieces we haven't been able to use since switching to vaping. Developing a special bowl that "works well" with it, or using it with the leftover components from other vaporizers, seems like a major step back. At that point, I'd just pick up any other vape I had to use with the piece.

Why don't you make a better sealing gasket, or more types that can be swapped in? That way you could pick the one that worked best with the piece you wanted to use. You could also make one that is fat like a pillow or headphone cushion.

Forgive me if I've missed this being discussed already.

Tolamang

If anyone is having a challenge getting vapor, the seal is the first thing to check as that will have the biggest impact on performance. You can check the seal by watching the glow. It should drop when you inhale. If it doesn't drop then there is likely a gap in the seal, or you need to pull a bit harder with your inhalations.

We are in discussions with a few pipe and glass makers to produce bowls that make a great seal without the need for the adapter. One of those is O'Connell woodworks that @SixStringToker turned us onto. We are excited to work with him and others to produce higher performing bowls for you all! Please DM me if you know of other glass and pipe makers who might be interested in a partnership.

@Tolamang, I'm looking forward to connecting with you this afternoon to troubleshoot. Usually, just a couple of quick hints should enable you to dial it in. If others would like to schedule a one-to-one, please reach out to us at info@PrrlLabs.com or to me directly, mark@PrrlLabs.com

We are also having a virtual sesh this coming Saturday, exclusively for those who have ordered a Neo. If you have a Neo, then you should have received a recent email with that info. During the sesh, we'll answer any questions you have, and share different approaches and equipment that users have discovered.

-Mark
To anyone who read my reply and potentially got turned off by the neo based on my issues with it, please think again.

First, it is 100% not the device. As noted here and above, my biggest issue is my breath control right now and the grind. I'm getting quality seals.

I should also note I have always had issues managing my breathing so I think this is just coming harder to me than most and is not reflective of the device.

Customer service is the best I have experienced not only in this industry, but many others. I can't wait to tune in Saturday and get more help and advice and see what's up :)

Thank you all for your patience as we have sorted through our supply chain challenges! We are happy to report that with our most recent shipment yesterday, we were able to fulfill ALL back orders... Yay!

In celebration, we'd like to offer the FC community a special discount of 15% with the code "KickAsh!"

We have inventory and we can deliver immediately. Woot!

-Mark

Just placed my order. Can't wait to start testing.

Thanks for the 15% off @Black_Prrl

Top Bottom