Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

droog77

Hi!

I recently ordered a Neo and am preparing for its arrival, sometime next month.

I have zero experience with 18650 batteries, or devices powered by them. Never used a mod before.

I’d like to get a spare battery and a charger, but I have no idea what I should be looking for.

Can anyone help me out with some recommendations?

Thanks!

Edit: I should mention that I live in Canada. We typically have fewer purchasing options than our neighbours in the US.

Last edited:
droog77,

Darr1

Knock at the door this afternoon and there to my surprise was the postman with my Neo. Been in transit for a while and wasn't expecting until after Xmas. Had some batteries so thought I'd test straight away. First impressions: has a nice weighty premium feel, heavier than I expected. Really simple to use. Tried with a Keith Haring spoon pipe and a HÒJ pipe. Both producing vapor almost immediately. Used the 30sec preheat followed by some cigar puffs and was soon experiencing some tasty vapor. Was fine without the adapter on KH spoon , tried it with silicone as well some more testing needed. Hoj pipe was a bit different needs to sit completely in the bowl so have to be careful not to combust and stir on every hit but worked well. I also purchased the ember previously but this seems a lot more powerful and the replaceable 18650s make this a winner.

Drug

Hi!

I recently ordered a Neo and am preparing for its arrival, sometime next month.

I have zero experience with 18650 batteries, or devices powered by them. Never used a mod before.

I’d like to get a spare battery and a charger, but I have no idea what I should be looking for.

Can anyone help me out with some recommendations?

Thanks!

Edit: I should mention that I live in Canada. We typically have fewer purchasing options than our neighbours in the US.
I'm no pro, but when I was looking into this a few years ago the brand nitecore was advised, so I got one of their products and have been using it happily ever since.

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
It looks like all my toys are coming early for Christmas, I just got my Neo!

20201224_144205.jpg

I got two charging cables in the package, must be a mistake but I'll take it anyway, I don't have a lot of USB-C cable. I'm gonna play around with it this and give my impression in a couple of days.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
It looks like all my toys are coming early for Christmas, I just got my Neo!

View attachment 4512

I got two charging cables in the package, must be a mistake but I'll take it anyway, I don't have a lot of USB-C cable. I'm gonna play around with it this and give my impression in a couple of days.
Nice! Is that the cup vape that just came out too?

droog77

I'm no pro, but when I was looking into this a few years ago the brand nitecore was advised, so I got one of their products and have been using it happily ever sinc
I’ve seen nitecore chargers. Do they make batteries as well?

droog77,

Summer

Long Island, NY
@droog77:

We looked at units with larger batteries, but decided that the 18650 was so common and you can find a 3000mAh one for pretty cheap these days.

we are shipping with a battery. For international orders, it will already be installed. For those in the US, the battery is in a separate little box from the Neo, but is in that same

My 18650 recommendations:
HG LG2; Sony VTC6 or VTC5a; Molicel P26A. "Flat top" batteries not button top.

Last edited:

droog77

@droog77:

My 18650 recommendations:
HG LG2; Sony VTC6 or VTC5a; Molicel P26A. "Flat top" batteries not button top.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

droog77,

Vonv

Knock at the door this afternoon and there to my surprise was the postman with my Neo. Been in transit for a while and wasn't expecting until after Xmas. Had some batteries so thought I'd test straight away. First impressions: has a nice weighty premium feel, heavier than I expected. Really simple to use. Tried with a Keith Haring spoon pipe and a HÒJ pipe. Both producing vapor almost immediately. Used the 30sec preheat followed by some cigar puffs and was soon experiencing some tasty vapor. Was fine without the adapter on KH spoon , tried it with silicone as well some more testing needed. Hoj pipe was a bit different needs to sit completely in the bowl so have to be careful not to combust and stir on every hit but worked well. I also purchased the ember previously but this seems a lot more powerful and the replaceable 18650s make this a winner.
Nice!

Vonv,

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
Got the Neo yesterday.

Found that 18mm J Hook bowl worked the best of the 6-7 I tried. While it wasn't as easy to use as I had expected, once I got the technique down I got very good results. Flavor and potency of extraction were excellent even without any visible vapor.

I would really like to see Prrl produce a dedicated glass bong bowl. There are very few bowls shallow enough that will also function well with a screen. While the j woks well the screen security is not ideal

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJUIAT0ngCu/?igshid=1lt4biqr2eqi0

This setup works really well. 14mm J with a 14/18 connector. I always prefer the way a 14 condenses the vapor over an 18. I also had an 18mm banger stand and a 14mm reducer sleve that makes a convenient stand for the bowl

20201227-145945.jpg

20201227_145858.jpg

Last edited:

Darr1

Absolutely gutted tonight. Have been loving this Neo and have been using since receiving on Xmas Eve. Unfortunately the quartz chimney has come loose tonight, seems that the adhesive has not held. I'm sure it's minor and I've just been extremely unlucky. I know from previous experiences that the CS for this firm is second to none and I have emailed them to see if it can go back to the US to have a chimney refitted .🤞

Kins

Absolutely gutted tonight. Have been loving this Neo and have been using since receiving on Xmas Eve. Unfortunately the quartz chimney has come loose tonight, seems that the adhesive has not held. I'm sure it's minor and I've just been extremely unlucky. I know from previous experiences that the CS for this firm is second to none and I have emailed them to see if it can go back to the US to have a chimney refitted .🤞

There were some problems with the chimneys so you are not the only one. There was an email shipping update about it.

Kins,

Darr1

There were some problems with the chimneys so you are not the only one. There was an email shipping update about it.
Thanks, I must have missed it. However, no sooner had I sent my email than I received a reply back from Prrl. First class CS. Read so many threads on FC where customers are ignored however, praise where it is due this had been dealt with straight away, first class 👏🏻👏🏻

Trackrat

Got the Neo yesterday.

Found that 18mm J Hook bowl worked the best of the 6-7 I tried. While it wasn't as easy to use as I had expected, once I got the technique down I got very good results. Flavor and potency of extraction were excellent even without any visible vapor.

I would really like to see Prrl produce a dedicated glass bong bowl. There are very few bowls shallow enough that will also function well with a screen. While the j woks well the screen security is not ideal

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJUIAT0ngCu/?igshid=1lt4biqr2eqi0

This setup works really well. 14mm J with a 14/18 connector. I always prefer the way a 14 condenses the vapor over an 18. I also had an 18mm banger stand and a 14mm reducer sleve that makes a convenient stand for the bowl

20201227-145945.jpg

20201227_145858.jpg
I had some of these left over from another "mad scientist" experiment. Gets the herb closer to the heater. Medium grind seems to work best.

Scotte Screens Pipe Screen Filters Steel Screen Ball 20 Packs​

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
Really getting some great sessions with the Neo. I do a preheat at 5 for the full 30 then go to 3, 10 second heat and 20 second hit. A couple hits at 3, one at 4 and then maybe one more at 5. I stir 2 or 3 times.

Last edited:

droog77

Really getting some great sessions with the Neo. I do a preheat at 5 for the full 30 then go to 3, 10 second heat and 20 second hit. A couple hits at 3, one at 4 and then maybe one more at 5. I stir 2 or 3 times.
How does the flavour hold out throughout your session? Is it a fairly complete extraction?

How does your ABV look by the end? (A pic would be great!)

droog77,

Drug

Mine finally arrived today. Gave it test ride with my Marley spoon pipe.

SP_red_grande_915b50bb-543b-4211-9f65-f67ceaf22aa8_1024x1024.png

Tasted amazing. Got lifted from one load around .15 though tolerance is low for the moment.

Top layer of the grass suffered from some near charting, which prevented even avb. I put temp to 2, next time I'll set it to 1 and probably should adjust smoking technique a bit to stop the near charring. As expected with such heating the clouds were lovely.

The vape itself feels real solid and looks slick as fuck. Easy to use. First impression is very well (assuming the charring is my user error).

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Mine finally arrived today. Gave it test ride with my Marley spoon pipe.

Tasted amazing. Got lifted from one load around .15 though tolerance is low for the moment.

Top layer of the grass suffered from some near charting, which prevented even avb. I put temp to 2, next time I'll set it to 1 and probably should adjust smoking technique a bit to stop the near charring. As expected with such heating the clouds were lovely.

The vape itself feels real solid and looks slick as fuck. Easy to use. First impression is very well (assuming the charring is my user error).

@Drug, the Marley looks great and we're so glad that you're honing in on your technique! It sounds like for your style, approaching the bowl at a lower power setting may be a good idea. Also, taking a few "sips before you rip" can also minimize charring. Taking those first sips "primes" or "stokes" the bowl--increasing the temp of the whole herb, not just the top. This can even out the extraction.

We also advocate for some pretty serious tamping of the bowl. This can be hard to do in shallow bowls, but it can help create a more even extraction with fewer hot spots. All y'all who advocate for a loose pack... well, feel free to try it out and weigh in. I used to think that way, but a little LOT of experimentation convinced me otherwise--at least for convection.

@Trackrat, looks like a sweet setup! How's the AVB for you? Seems like you might get some pretty even toastings with it.

One of things we've discovered is that "every bowl is sacred" (cue Monty Python music). Each bowl is unique. Each pipe will have different airflow. Each varietal will extract a bit differently (due to moisture, density, terpene profile, etc). And, each person enjoys their vapor differently. Vive la différence!

-m

Trackrat

@Drug, the Marley looks great and we're so glad that you're honing in on your technique! It sounds like for your style, approaching the bowl at a lower power setting may be a good idea. Also, taking a few "sips before you rip" can also minimize charring. Taking those first sips "primes" or "stokes" the bowl--increasing the temp of the whole herb, not just the top. This can even out the extraction.

We also advocate for some pretty serious tamping of the bowl. This can be hard to do in shallow bowls, but it can help create a more even extraction with fewer hot spots. All y'all who advocate for a loose pack... well, feel free to try it out and weigh in. I used to think that way, but a little LOT of experimentation convinced me otherwise--at least for convection.

@Trackrat, looks like a sweet setup! How's the AVB for you? Seems like you might get some pretty even toastings with it.

One of things we've discovered is that "every bowl is sacred" (cue Monty Python music). Each bowl is unique. Each pipe will have different airflow. Each varietal will extract a bit differently (due to moisture, density, terpene profile, etc). And, each person enjoys their vapor differently. Vive la différence!

-m
Yes it is. Nice dark, even, roast. The distance from the Neo to the flower , I feel is perfect. I just put 2 scoops of flower in the bowl, level it , no tamp, have the Neo set on 5 and go at it. I think using the carb helps in preventing hot spotting and combustion. Only stir once just to check the moisture content in the bowl. It just works. Between using the j-hook or the brick, the brick wins most every time

Drug

We also advocate for some pretty serious tamping of the bowl.
I believe this is where the issue was. I also added the sleeve to create some extra distance and a better lock on that glass pipe. Steering after each toke helps as well. Resulting in an evenly dark brown ABV.

The ritual this vape offers is really quite nice, I was concerned the extra steps and parafernalia might turn me off, but those turn out not to be bothersome at all (it's really just that you have two pieces to deal with and the mod offers a fool proof ux). Should definitely convince some the people combusting in pipes and bongs etc.

Top Bottom