Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Roffa

My Neo arrived today, and I had already bought a Benson pipe. Wow! I knew I wanted one when I read the thread here. It pairs so well with the Benson pipe. I so love the manual skill aspect to it (my other vape is a Mighty, haha). Haven't combusted yet, and the advice to stir the bowl is a good one.

Second day and I'm in love. I have MS and I use cannabis for its THC and CBD both, against muscle spasms. For me the entourage effect is important and the optimal temperature is above 220ºC. Most vaporizers (like the Mighty) don't get that hot. However, I can now tweak the effect much better, even after 1 day of practice. It's great that breath is such a key variable when you use the Neo. And the extraction is just so very efficient. Great device.
Hemson, hemson hemson. OK, I'm fine now.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Hemson, hemson hemson. OK, I'm fine now.
Hah! I was just trying to Google the Benson pipe... no luck. The Hemson is definitely one of my faves. The bowl is deep and the Neo mates well with the edge of the bowl without the need for the adapter. The only real issue is the single-hole bottom, which can lead to a bit of hot-spotting in the center. Otherwise, a really fun and high quality piece to use.

El Rawn Hubbard

You can use the elev8r bowls, but the longer distance means a slower roast. Nothing like the huge elev8r torch hits but quite nice actually, if you like a more gentle extraction.
Is the all glass any better than the SS screened bowl? I guess it seems slightly smaller?

El Rawn Hubbard,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Hey, all! We got a question this week about experiencing that "ABV/AVB taste" with the Neo. This probably goes without saying for y'all, but CLEAN your piece regularly. The vapor will only be as pure as the vapor pathway and residual oils will be picked up. I've found that this is particularly true if using water. The condensed terps and cannabinoids from prior use may not show easily, but you can certainly smell and taste them.

While isopropyl is coming back to the store shelves, I sometimes use "Puro Caff" coffee machine cleaner on my glass and ceramic. It's pretty magical. A short soak, and a quick scrub does the trick. It's cheaper than the bong cleansers out there and seems to work as well or better.

What methods do you use, and how frequently do you tend to clean?

ProfessionalHandJob

"A handjob is still a job, okay?"
Here's my Neo making friendly with the Noisy Cricket:

This is my favorite combination... by a LOT. The bowl in the Cricket can hold at least 0.4g with a fairly light tamp. It can probably hold a bit more, but that's as much as I've loaded into it so far.
this vid is what sold me on the Neo. My Neo arrived thursday, ordering a Cricket this week to pair with it.

Also have been considering trying to pair it up with a Sun Token https://www.suntoken.com/

Last edited:

west-elec

Is the all glass any better than the SS screened bowl? I guess it seems slightly smaller?
For some reason my all glass bowl is slightly narrower at the top. The Neo mates ok with the SS, just. But the all glass is harder to get the seal. The silicone will mate with 18mm ground glass connection but it is close and the all glass isn't ground so must be a fraction narrower. They are a bit variable maybe others fit ok. If you can get a seal it would be slightly better than SS because it will sit a bit closer, but very similar.

Edit: Just tried again, it does work, it only lips in the end of the silicone so you just have line it up properly.

Last edited:

ProfessionalHandJob

"A handjob is still a job, okay?"
this vid is what sold me on the Neo. My Neo arrived thursday, ordering a Cricket this week to pair with it.

Also have been considering trying to pair it up with a Sun Token https://www.suntoken.com/
Did give it a run with a silicone pipe w 9 hole glass screen and i'm really impressed with how dark i was able to go without combusting.
unknown.png

west-elec

What methods do you use, and how frequently do you tend to clean?
I am a glass lover for that reason, cleanest taste and easiest to get back to perfect and you can see when it's dirty and then when it's clean. Wood looks cool but long term cleanliness turns me away.
Lickily the Neo pairs very well with glass. I found yet another REALLY good option. The Tinymight rimmed basket screen sits nicely in a 14mm joint. If you turn around the silicone sleeve it mates well with 18/14 adaptor. It sits nice and close so you can fully clear the basket in one 30 second cycle.
I've got one of those charcoal filter fittings with 14mm joints and a globe section inbetween. I can drop the basket in the top and watch the vapour form in the globe, so I can ramp up the draw speed as it starts to deliver. Never need cigar puffs with this setup.

MonkeyTime

I am a glass lover for that reason, cleanest taste and easiest to get back to perfect and you can see when it's dirty and then when it's clean. Wood looks cool but long term cleanliness turns me away.
Lickily the Neo pairs very well with glass. I found yet another REALLY good option. The Tinymight rimmed basket screen sits nicely in a 14mm joint. If you turn around the silicone sleeve it mates well with 18/14 adaptor. It sits nice and close so you can fully clear the basket in one 30 second cycle.
I've got one of those charcoal filter fittings with 14mm joints and a globe section inbetween. I can drop the basket in the top and watch the vapour form in the globe, so I can ramp up the draw speed as it starts to deliver. Never need cigar puffs with this setup.

I'd love a picture or video of that setup!

I owe an apology for not getting in here sooner with some mindless rambling. I've had mine for a few weeks now, I think the second batch that went out and am still intrigued!

I've gotten some very tasty, full hits, but I haven't had enough time to truly play with it. It was a great hit from the first and I have had one combustion event, but that was completely on me for turning up the heat, moving the load closer and not paying attention and drawing very slow.

I'll also echo the general sentiment about it needing the right piece to match it with to shine. I'll be looking for both a portable and home option to give this thing a fair shake at shinning the way it should, then I'll be back to post properly!

west-elec

I'd love a picture or video of that setup!
Funny I didn't really like the basket screens with the TM. I couldn't get an even roast, and it is a pain to stir, so never use it or the long stem. But the heat from the Neo sitting up close right on top is spread out wider than the diameter of the screen so it doesn't get tunnelling like the TM. If I don't feel it is quite finished I will run it through again, no stirring and no charring. I can watch the vapour build up in the glass, ramping up my draw speed, then keep pulling until I see it stop delivering. No guess work since it all happens before your eyes. That first ABV is a single hit from cold. Second one is still a single cycle but with a nice warm Neo.
https://ibb.co/2sWxYJ9
https://ibb.co/4K0M5z0
https://ibb.co/YQrgxpD
https://ibb.co/3NRxKZX

Last edited:

CaleidosCope

For all the glas-lovers... this is a nice "head" where you can twist and swivel to avoid burn spots without silicone and with good seal.

Talking about the SHORT, STRAIGHT. In my setup, 14mm.

IMG_0496.jpgIMG_0497.jpgIMG_0498.jpgIMG_0499.jpg

While isopropyl is coming back to the store shelves, I sometimes use "Puro Caff" coffee machine cleaner on my glass and ceramic. It's pretty magical. A short soak, and a quick scrub does the trick. It's cheaper than the bong cleansers out there and seems to work as well or better.
Washing powder plus hot water out of the water cooker.
Cheap.
Soak it. Brush it... Daily! (heavy use!) ;)

Last edited:

west-elec

Alright maybe I am getting a bit carried away trying to find matches for the Neo, but the Tafee Bowle 'pot' fits so neatly I had to give it a try. A little awkward angle but yep, works great.
Just for the change of gears I was able to have a few nice terpy hits with the Neo, then just swap the stem back into the TB and make sure to finish it off completely.
Pretty fun and an efficient way to get more hits, all tasting great. The AVB shot is a single 30 sec heat cycle with the Neo.
https://ibb.co/TwQfQMW
https://ibb.co/t3GC8j0
https://ibb.co/Hzs5SFn

Last edited:

droog77

I found this piece that pairs very nicely with the Neo. I was looking for something with very specific attributes. Something sturdy and stable, that can be set down on a table without tipping over. I wanted a built-in honeycomb screen for increased airflow. I wanted a stem long enough to create a little distance from the bowl to make using the Neo comfortable. Lastly, I wanted clear glass, so I can see the vapor.

After a lot of searching (online), I found this piece that checks all of those boxes.

west-elec

Got this promo email for a new pipe, looks like it would pair awesomely with the Neo.

That's a nice idea to have 4 grams ground and ready., flip and reload. I'd be concerned about the vapour path, pretty short and what is it made from?
Can you imagine carrying that around if you combusted in in? The stink!

droog77

Cool little pipe, what's it called?
It’s this one:

The only problem is that the holes in the honeycomb screen are too small, and get clogged easily. It’s better than a single-hole bowl, but still not quite ideal.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
It’s this one:

The only problem is that the holes in the honeycomb screen are too small, and get clogged easily. It’s better than a single-hole bowl, but still not quite ideal.

That's sweet! I love the deep wide-rimmed bowl, glass, and honeycomb... In order to reduce clogging of the honeycomb, you may want to try putting a SS screen on top of it before loading your herb. This will give more pathways for the air to flow and will reduce the amount of small plant fibers that make it to the honeycomb. It can make stirring a bit more delicate, not flipping the entire cake, but it should help.

Happy Friday, y'all!

maremaresing

That's a nice idea to have 4 grams ground and ready., flip and reload. I'd be concerned about the vapour path, pretty short and what is it made from?
Can you imagine carrying that around if you combusted in in? The stink!
I was thinking the opposite. Use it to hold abv. Just flip it and give a little slap, then reload! But it looks awkward to hold one handed.

maremaresing,

Roffa

I've done a quest of 2 years via the Pax, the Mighty and DynaVap and now I've arrived at the Neo and that's it. What a wonderful device. The manual, hands-on character gives very subtle control over the vaping. Taste, sensation, seeing what happens with the heat, the vapor, it's all direct feedback. I didn't have that, not even with DynaVap. Also, it extracts very efficiently, even if the ABV looks lightish. Varying the technique also varies the entourage effect.

Lastly, I love the ritualistic aspect of being able to use a pipe for vaping

CaleidosCope

I've done a quest of 2 years via the Pax, the Mighty and DynaVap and now I've arrived at the Neo and that's it. What a wonderful device. The manual, hands-on character gives very subtle control over the vaping. Taste, sensation, seeing what happens with the heat, the vapor, it's all direct feedback. I didn't have that, not even with DynaVap. Also, it extracts very efficiently, even if the ABV looks lightish. Varying the technique also varies the entourage effect.

same here. ;). To complete the ultimative setup I need to build my own g43 for the "heavy rips". And a stealthy 510-vape that looks like it should for on the go. Then the Neo will sit in the middle as the main daily driver with various glas setups to test. Delicious!

CaleidosCope,

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer

@Roffa, what kind words! We've been smitten, mesmerized, and seduced by those same factors... the ability to have precise and subtle control over your vapor, while staying visually connected with your weed the entire time, has completely changed our relationship with weed.

Glad that you're enjoying your Neo!

Black_Prrl,
Reactions: west-elec
Top Bottom