Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Kins

I've had this pipe in my wishlist for a while now. I think it might work well with the Neo.

SixStringToker

Naked member
In my boredom at home in quarantine, I've been keeping myself entertained by taking goofy photos of my vapes with my phone and I realized (as Groot stood over my Noisy Cricket) that I never tried the Noisy Cricket with the Neo.

It is awesome! It gets a really good seal (I always use the gasket since I find that I get better results with restricted airflow, even when I can get a good seal without it). It puts out sweet flavor if you sip on it but it can also rip hard and put out some good clouds. Very even extraction. It even has a tamper!
50803972978_dde0b2eb54_o.jpg

50804008858_038ec4b987_o.jpg

Edit:

The Noisy Cricket takes the Neo to the next level, imo. I was getting pretty good results with the Neo using a 14-18mm glass adapter as a bowl but was having frustratingly mixed results with almost everything else that I tried. With the Cricket, this thing really can be a sipper or it can do lung-busting hits - all with really good extraction.

My method for using the Neo is to do one pre-heat round with the Neo placed on the bowl. Towards the end of the pre-heat period, I typically do four or five quick(ish) cigar puffs to really saturate the chamber; this usually produces some light vapor. Immediately following the pre-heat, I do my full pull. I actually trigger a second pre-heat round for this and control the vapor density by changing how hard or light I inhale, like with a log vape. If I finish my pull before the timer (almost always), I just push the button again to end the pre-heat mode.

I actually find the coil glow very useful during long pulls and will cup my hand around the Neo so that I can see it. The glow changes very quickly with changes in inhalation rate and can be used to really dial in the hit and keep it right in the sweet spot. You also get used to seeing a certain glow, so when the battery starts to get weak as it drains, you can just slow down your inhalation to get that familiar glow intensity.

The full rip ABV is a little lighter than I can get with some of my other vapes, but it's bone dry and turns to powder when I rub it between my fingers; there's nothing left in there that I want.

I like it! :D

Last edited:

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
@SixStringToker Awesome! So good to hear that the Noisy Cricket works well with the Neo! Your technique sounds very similar to the way we tend to approach most bowls around here, and watching the glow can be very helpful. Groot is a great touch as well! Harv said, "OMFG! I like that pic SO much!"--he may or may not have been a bit curly at the time. 😎

SixStringToker

Naked member
I don't know if I've just never noticed this before, but there's something rattling around inside my Neo. I can't see anything if I look in through the chimney and whatever it is, it doesn't seem to have a lot of mass. It sounds kinda like a paperclip rattling around in a glass tube. I haven't noticed any change in the level of performance.

@Black_Prrl is this anything that I should be worried about? Here's an audio recording of it in AAC format:

Last edited:

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
I don't know if I've just never noticed this before, but there's something rattling around inside my Neo. I can't see anything if I look in through the chimney and whatever it is, it doesn't seem to have a lot of mass. It sounds kinda like a paperclip rattling around in a glass tube. I haven't noticed any change in the level of performance.

@Black_Prrl is this anything that I should be worried about? Here's an audio recording of it in AAC format:

Hmmm... That's certainly not a sound that we'd like to hear. It is likely a small set screw that secures the ends of the heating element to a stainless steel terminal beneath the heating chamber. The heating chamber and air pathway are completely isolated by a ceramic disc with two very small holes in it (0.7mm) for the heating element wire. There is no way that the set screw will come out, nor will it effect your vapor in any way. However, the sound is distracting and it may result in loss of electrical connectivity at some point.

So, let's replace it. Please send us an email support@prrllabs.com so that we can send you a return label and we will replace it straight away. (note: we do not have IG or FC names linked to orders so I can't email you directly).

If any others are experiencing issues please DM me or feel free to contact us by email to get the fastest response. You may also call: 844-662-6844.

-Mark

Note: we've made changes in our assembly procedures that will prevent this from happening in the future.

SixStringToker

Naked member
@Black_Prrl Nooooooo! I just found a bowl that performs like a dream with the Neo, too! The Noisy Cricket continues to blow me away with performance that's right up there with the big boys (so much so that I giggle at the size of some of my clouds). My (admittedly mmj-paranoia-influenced) fear is that the loose screw has resulted in just the right level of resistance change to boost the vape to the next level... is it really the Noisy Cricket, or is it that rebellious screw? 🤔 You'd better take resistance measurements when you receive my vape! :rofl:

I'll send that email this weekend. Thanks.

50814353252_856ea8202a_o.jpg

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
@Black_Prrl Nooooooo! I just found a bowl that performs like a dream with the Neo, too! The Noisy Cricket continues to blow me away with performance that's right up there with the big boys (so much so that I giggle at the size of some of my clouds). My (admittedly mmj-paranoia-influenced) fear is that the loose screw has resulted in just the right level of resistance change to boost the vape to the next level... is it really the Noisy Cricket, or is it that rebellious screw? 🤔 You'd better take resistance measurements when you receive my vape! :rofl:

I'll send that email this weekend. Thanks.

View attachment 5081

Damn!! That's a sweet set up!... I confess that we giggle with amazement on occasion as well. 😎 💨

The performance of your Neo itself hasn't changed... the better performance with the NC is likely due to the airflow characteristics of the bowl, the better seal, and the insulating nature of the wood.

Don't worry, our production has started back up again and we should be able to send you a replacement right away.

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker

Dammit I have the same thing with mine. The noise isn't as loud but it's definitely something rattling inside.
I've used it once and it works good, I was waiting on a pipe I ordered to get to me before I started to play with it more seriously.
@Black_Prrl what do you think, do I need to replace it too?

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Dammit I have the same thing with mine. The noise isn't as loud but it's definitely something rattling inside.
I've used it once and it works good, I was waiting on a pipe I ordered to get to me before I started to play with it more seriously.
@Black_Prrl what do you think, do I need to replace it too?

Thanks for the email, @The Chemist. We'll get you squared away asap.

FYI, we fired the company that was assembling these and have been sending very detailed videos and documents back and forth with the new team to make sure it doesn't happen in the future. The set screws are quite tiny, and it appears that they were not tightened fully on some units.

Our apologies to those who are experiencing this problem! We are working hard to resolve it and do not expect this to be a persistent issue. We pride ourselves on being fanatical about quality, purity, and effectiveness... so this is pretty gut-wrenching to me. We will do whatever we can to make sure that you get your units repaired or replaced in a timely fashion.

-Mark

Last edited:

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
@Black_Prrl Growing pains like these are not unexpected; your launch seems to be going well, otherwise. Keeping a public face, rapidly and openly responding to issues and working directly with customers to get them resolved is how you keep customers and get new ones. I think you're doing pretty well so far in that regard. :tup:

Thanks, @SixStringToker! Growing pains, for sure... We have limited the production to 50 units per week so we can thoroughly inspect them and correct any issues before we take this to larger production runs. Unfortunately, some of these internal things are hard to inspect without taking the unit apart -- which is nearly impossible if they've assembled it correctly. Thanks for all of your understanding!

In the meantime, we are excited to roll out some new, complementary, products in the coming months that should enable more efficient extraction. Can't wait!!

The Chemist

Thanks for the email, @The Chemist. We'll get you squared away asap.

FYI, we fired the company that was assembling these and have been sending very detailed videos and documents back and forth with the new team to make sure it doesn't happen in the future. The set screws are quite tiny, and it appears that they were not tightened fully on some units.

Our apologies to those who are experiencing this problem! We are working hard to resolve it and do not expect this to be a persistent issue. We pride ourselves on being fanatical about quality, purity, and effectiveness... so this is pretty gut-wrenching to me. We will do whatever we can to make sure that you get your units repaired or replaced in a timely fashion.

-Mark
Ok I've sent my email, no need to apologize it's not unexpected to have problems with a new product and since we are early adopters there's always a risk. I will give you props for giving us detailed info about what is happening and what you plan on doing to take care of the problem. Communication is a priority in my book and so far you are doing great.:tup:

SixStringToker

Naked member
Here's my Neo making friendly with the Noisy Cricket:

This is my favorite combination... by a LOT. The bowl in the Cricket can hold at least 0.4g with a fairly light tamp. It can probably hold a bit more, but that's as much as I've loaded into it so far.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer

This is my favorite combination... by a LOT. The bowl in the Cricket can hold at least 0.4g with a fairly light tamp. It can probably hold a bit more, but that's as much as I've loaded into it so far.
That video was incredible!:tup: That was .4? I have only tried a covering of screen amount I’m gonna go big tonight! Like the browns over Pittsburgh:D

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer

Holy shit!... Beautiful vid! just ordered us a Noisy Cricket! (official product testing, and all that...) 💨

The Chemist

Of course the pipe I ordered to use with the Neo arrive the day I was ready to ship my vape back to Prrl Labs! :doh:

20210112_173023.jpg

The 6" classic sherlock from Grav pairs really well with the Neo, I just did my first session and I'm really liking it. The taste of the vapor was so good, I think I'm gonna love to use this vape, it's a different way to do something so familiar. Before I started vaping I was always using a pipe when I was smoking by myself, so this feels right at home. I know that I'm gonna be on the look out for more cool pipes to use with the Neo.

Now I think I'm gonna play with it more tonight, it's too late to ship it anyway, I'm gonna do it tomorrow. :D

The Chemist

I decided to keep the Neo for one more day before sending it back this afternoon. Now I'm sad that I can't use my new pipe anymore, but at least I know my replacement is already on the way. Prrl Labs shipped my new Neo yesterday, talk about great customer service! So far excellent communication and I like the way they take the quality of their product seriously.

This is a welcome change when I compare with the customer service I got from other well known vape brand.

Keep up the good work Prrl Labs!:tup:

Kins

My replacement for the rattling problem arrived today. First thing I did was shake it up. Same rattle with this one. I've emailed support. Hopefully I get a working one soon, but it doesn't look good when your replacement needs a replacement.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
My replacement for the rattling problem arrived today. First thing I did was shake it up. Same rattle with this one. I've emailed support. Hopefully I get a working one soon, but it doesn't look good when your replacement needs a replacement.
@Kins let's hop on a call to diagnose the issue further. We are pretty confident that the problem with the set screws in the atomizer has been addressed and was limited to very few units.

That said, I have noticed that the battery mod itself has a slight rattle that seems to come from the two small power adjust buttons. These have a bit of play in them and if I tap on them lightly, it generates the sound I'm hearing. Also, the sound goes away if those buttons are held against my palm when I shake.

DM me if you'd like to hop on a call or video... would love to solve this and have you up and running!

-Mark

Kins

@Kins let's hop on a call to diagnose the issue further. We are pretty confident that the problem with the set screws in the atomizer has been addressed and was limited to very few units.

That said, I have noticed that the battery mod itself has a slight rattle that seems to come from the two small power adjust buttons. These have a bit of play in them and if I tap on them lightly, it generates the sound I'm hearing. Also, the sound goes away if those buttons are held against my palm when I shake.

DM me if you'd like to hop on a call or video... would love to solve this and have you up and running!

-Mark

Yep you are correct sir!. I held all the buttons down and shook and no noise!. Now I gotta figure out my dispensary order for tonight. Gotta get this thing goin!.

HDK

I didn't measure the amount that time, but I'm guessing that it was around 0.35 in the bowl. There were two more decently large pulls after the two big ones in the video.
I’m wondering how even the herb was heated? I was looking for my first wood vape and got the impression that the O'Connell advantage was the screen above the bowl. But you’re not using that. Right?

HDK,
Top Bottom