The HI

GoldenBud

I'm enjoying my HI but there are a few things I'd like to improve:
  • The chamber size is a bit too small for me. What is the largest possible option? Something like the volume of S&B capsules would be good.
  • The voltage always starts high and starts to drop over time on its own. At the same time, the vape starts cold and after a while it starts to get hotter and hotter so I have to turn down the voltage to avoid scorching the weed. Is that normal?
  • The VVPS knob is *super* sensitive. Is there a better VVPS option that is not as finicky and hopefully with a power switch to I don't have to plug and unplug it from the wall every day? (electricity is very expensive here so I'd rather not leave it plugged in all day)
Thanks
just add some dab with 12.0v setting (check the video out ;) ).. tho I can understand you about bigger bowls, but logs are meant to save money hehe.. 10mm stem style..the smallest possible for a good convection device, I really like the smaller bowl for microdosing!

Harrier Du Bois

Revachol Citizens Militia
I've read dozens of pages of this thread and the HI seems to be what I'm looking for.
I have a couple of questions though, maybe someone could help answering them? :)

I stopped smoking a few months ago. Before that I used to smoke joints basically every evening while gaming or watching a movie.

I own a Milaana, Dynavap (+ induction heater) and a Mighty.
So far the Mighty has been the best experience. I like how easy it is to produce dense clouds, comes closest to smoking for me and really helped with quitting joints.

What I don't like is the session-style experience. I want to be able to take a quick hit, then pause as long as I want without wasting material or waiting too long for the device to heat up again.

My questions:
  1. Would you agree that the HI could match my expectations above?
  2. Which heater and size would you recommend?
  3. Which tubes would be best for the desired experience?
  4. Did anyone order from Germany by chance? Any problems with customs?
Cheers!

GoldenBud

What I don't like is the session-style experience. I want to be able to take a quick hit, then pause as long as I want without wasting material or waiting too long for the device to heat up again.
yep that is the one IMHO. the HI can smash the whole bowl at 12.3v/12.5v with a fast draw
i smash the whole bowl at 12.0v or 12.2v in 2 hits, rotating the device or giving a mini stirr

dimmusp

I've read dozens of pages of this thread and the HI seems to be what I'm looking for.
I have a couple of questions though, maybe someone could help answering them? :)

I stopped smoking a few months ago. Before that I used to smoke joints basically every evening while gaming or watching a movie.

I own a Milaana, Dynavap (+ induction heater) and a Mighty.
So far the Mighty has been the best experience. I like how easy it is to produce dense clouds, comes closest to smoking for me and really helped with quitting joints.

My questions:
  1. Would you agree that the HI could match my expectations above?
  2. Which heater and size would you recommend?
  3. Which tubes would be best for the desired experience?
  4. Did anyone order from Germany by chance? Any problems with customs?
Cheers!
I ordered from the Netherlands and had no problems with customs, for what it's worth. I think I paid a bit of taxes but not much (or at least low enough that I can't remember).

Harrier Du Bois

Revachol Citizens Militia
yep that is the one IMHO. the HI can smash the whole bowl at 12.3v/12.5v with a fast draw
i smash the whole bowl at 12.0v or 12.2v in 2 hits, rotating the device or giving a mini stirr
Thanks for your reply! That sounds good. I'd also be fine with going at it a bit slower, with multiple hits per bowl. 😄

I ordered from the Netherlands and had no problems with customs, for what it's worth. I think I paid a bit of taxes but not much (or at least low enough that I can't remember).
Thanks! I need to read up on the procedures in Germany. Sometimes you just need to pay taxes when receiving the package, but sometimes they keep it at the local customs office. In that case you have to show them the contents of the package in order for them to calculate the taxes, which I'd like to avoid if possible. 😅

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
It has been a busy year here. I’ve made a few interesting things and finally got my website updated with most of the things that I make. Seems like there will always be things that need to be added. Should answer a lot of questions so I won’t need to spend as much time explaining what I make via email.
Toasty Top
One of the new items I’m considering making/stocking is a wattage monitor/meter. Here is how it looks.
vvpswmhi.jpeg

It has a power socket to accept input from a vvps and a power jack that plugs into a DC extension cord, which then connects to the heater unit. There are no controls on the wattage meter. It simply measures and displays the volts, amps, and watts being applied to the heater unit. The lower left position on the display cycles between the following:

Time elapsed
Total Amp Hour
Total Watt Hour
Amp Peak
Voltage Minimum
Watt Peak

The wattage at which the heater is running is a more meaningful number than voltage. Each heater has a slightly different resistance value, so two units running at the same voltage will have different power outputs. The resistance also changes with temperature, so the wattage will change as it heats up even though the voltage doesn’t change. The only way to be sure of the power / temperature level is to monitor it. The watt meter works well with my micro voltage controller too. I use the watt meter to verify that each and every power supply I sell can provide full capacity.
I’m thinking the price will be around $30, based on current costs. Will make some to sell if there is an interest.

Happy Roasting

hoptimum

It has been a busy year here. I’ve made a few interesting things and finally got my website updated with most of the things that I make. Seems like there will always be things that need to be added. Should answer a lot of questions so I won’t need to spend as much time explaining what I make via email.
Toasty Top
One of the new items I’m considering making/stocking is a wattage monitor/meter. Here is how it looks.
vvpswmhi.jpeg

It has a power socket to accept input from a vvps and a power jack that plugs into a DC extension cord, which then connects to the heater unit. There are no controls on the wattage meter. It simply measures and displays the volts, amps, and watts being applied to the heater unit. The lower left position on the display cycles between the following:

Time elapsed
Total Amp Hour
Total Watt Hour
Amp Peak
Voltage Minimum
Watt Peak

The wattage at which the heater is running is a more meaningful number than voltage. Each heater has a slightly different resistance value, so two units running at the same voltage will have different power outputs. The resistance also changes with temperature, so the wattage will change as it heats up even though the voltage doesn’t change. The only way to be sure of the power / temperature level is to monitor it. The watt meter works well with my micro voltage controller too. I use the watt meter to verify that each and every power supply I sell can provide full capacity.
I’m thinking the price will be around $30, based on current costs. Will make some to sell if there is an interest.

Happy Roasting
Looks great

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
Toasty Top
vvpswmhi.jpeg

Time elapsed
Total Amp Hour
Total Watt Hour
Amp Peak
Voltage Minimum
Watt Peak

Happy Roasting
I'm interested in owning one of your hand crafted Halo HI Square log vapes with watt meter. Great work!!!

OrsonWhales

Toasty Top
vvpswmhi.jpeg

Time elapsed
Total Amp Hour
Total Watt Hour
Amp Peak
Voltage Minimum
Watt Peak

Happy Roasting
This is a great idea!

el sargantano

In this video, the load is between 0.05gr to 0.10gr, i tamped down the first load and then did a reload.. the taste is great on 12.0v when it's tamped down and it will not have a contact with the heater screen, which is not 100% cleaned now in my case
Hahaha Hits from the bong!!
Cypressero peligroso...!!
Nice clouds & cynegetic musical background!!

Razhumikin

I am very happy to report I have a beautiful white holly HI with a 3/8 heater coming my way just in time to have a holly-jolly christmas. I have 2 iheat cartridges, which are some of my favorite pieces, and I am huge fan of Alans work in general.

I have some beautiful roasting tubes coming from Alan, but Im wondering if anyone has found a good way to use 18mm glass stems, the kind that would work with a milaana or iheat, with a HI with a 3/8 heater? I have a large collection of those already and Id love to figure out a way to make them work for direct draw with the HI.

Thanks in advance for any help and happy vaping!

GoldenBud

I have some beautiful roasting tubes coming from Alan, but Im wondering if anyone has found a good way to use 18mm glass stems, the kind that would work with a milaana or iheat, with a HI with a 3/8 heater? I have a large collection of those already and Id love to figure out a way to make them work for direct draw with the HI.
3/8 is the Vapcap compatibility or the Solo II Compatibility? anyway, the silicone that comes with the SS-stem is perfect to attach to 19mm stems like the XL8R or the DHGate's cooling stems, it works great!
I have the Solo II compatibility, forgot if it's 3/8 or not hehe, I guess you took the Solo II comp?

Razhumikin

3/8 is the Vapcap compatibility or the Solo II Compatibility? anyway, the silicone that comes with the SS-stem is perfect to attach to 19mm stems like the XL8R or the DHGate's cooling stems, it works great!
I have the Solo II compatibility, forgot if it's 3/8 or not hehe, I guess you took the Solo II comp?
I think 3/8 is vapcap compatability, but im not positive. There were some of the larger heaters available but i was very taken with the wood choice on this HI, white holly is a unique looking wood and it has a spalted green holly base to boot. Stunning.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think 3/8 is vapcap compatability, but im not positive. There were some of the larger heaters available but i was very taken with the wood choice on this HI, white holly is a unique looking wood and it has a spalted green holly base to boot. Stunning.

No, 7/16 size is for the solo stems and can fit these RBT stems, 3/8 sizes a little too small, it works with 14mm size stems though... Possibly you can rig something up to use your RBT stems with it especially with silicone, but the 3/8 size may not extract them as well? But it should look beautiful!

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am experimenting with Bamboo & Cardboard HIs
I will post pictures and more information after some time, so that I address my findings with
fewer "irons in the fire".
I have 2 Cardboard HIs one of each Heater size 3/8" and 7/16" along with SS Roasting tubes for each.
I have the same setup in Bamboo... one of each.
Pictures to follow.
What is being evaluated here is:
The best choice heater size for Medical Patients.
The best choice of material for an affordable, beautiful, and then also a lower end, higher functioning tool for use by Low Income, Terminally Ill Patients.
The feasibility of the Bamboo HI as an affordable, yet beautiful and collectable Vaporizer for Log Vape fans.
The longeviity and durability of the amazing, new Cardboard HI as a tool for Low-Income, chronically/Terminally Ill, Card Holding Medical Marijuana Patients.
I am ahead of myself in posting this, as I have many thoughts and will have many images to share.
Still, I am so excited about studying , and being involved once again with more of @Alan 's work... that I had to give a sneak preview comment about further information to come.
I can say that while the 3/8" size is excellent for micro-dosing... (remember that there is also the upturned "walls" of the screen/basket taking a bit of that interior circumference) ... I did find, with all other considerations applied that the 7/16" was easier to work with and more versatile for me.
This allows a larger load, and gives the least restriction, leaving the vaporist to control the air flow with their breathing... or by adjusting the packing of the load to be vaped.
Nice work as always, @Alan.
I did not expect to be so impressed with the Cardboard HI.
I also did not expect the Bamboo HI to be so beautiful!
More to come....

Last edited:

JOHN GALT

I will post pictures and more information after some time, so that I address my findings with
I have 2 Cardboard HIs one of each Heater size 3/8" and 7/16" along with SS Roasting tubes for each.
Pictures to follow.
The best choice of material for an affordable, beautiful, and then also a lower end, higher functioning tool for use by Low Income, Terminally Ill Patients.
The feasibility of the Bamboo HI as an affordable, yet beautiful and collectable Vaporizer for Log Vape fans.
The longeviity and durability of the amazing, new Cardboard HI as a tool for Low-Income, chronically/Terminally Ill, Card Holding Medical Marijuana Patients.
I am ahead of myself in posting this, as I have many thoughts and will have many images to share.
Still, I am so excited about studying , and being involved once again with more of @Alan 's work... that I had to give a sneak preview comment about further information to come.
I can say that while the 3/8" size is excellent for micro-dosing... (remember that there is also the upturned "walls" of the screen/basket taking a bit of that interior circumference) ... I did find, with all other considerations applied that the 7/16" was easier to work with and more versatile for me.
This allows a larger load, and gives the least restriction, leaving the vaporist to control the aor flow with their breathing... or by adjusting the packing of the load to be vaped.
I did not expect to be so impressed with the cardboard HI.
More to come....

I applaud your community service!

If it hasn't already been suggested, possibly FC members might consider donating older, no longer being used herbal vaporizing equipment to your worthy cause?

Vitolo

Vaporist
f it hasn't already been suggested, possibly FC members might consider donating older, no longer being used herbal vaporizing equipment to your worthy cause?
@JOHN GALT , what warm, and kind insight.
FC members have been sending older units, and parts for recycling into this local community
for a time now. I appreciate that the thought came to you without your previous knowledge of the program.
There's a thread that discusses this at https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/paying-it-forward-a-new-direction.13802/
(I do not want to derail the HI discussion further!)
As promised images and information to come.

GoldenBud

@JOHN GALT , what warm, and kind insight.
FC members have been sending older units, and parts for recycling into this local community
for a time now. I appreciate that the thought came to you without your previous knowledge of the program.
There's a thread that discusses this at https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/paying-it-forward-a-new-direction.13802/
(I do not want to derail the HI discussion further!)
As promised images and information to come.
how's your Toasy Top by the way? is it still running? I remember your video chilling with it, watched it right before I purchased my HI..
the experience is similar to the HI in some forms?

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Vitolo

hoptimum

Pictures to follow.
This allows a larger load, and gives the least restriction, leaving the vaporist to control the air flow with their breathing... or by adjusting the packing of the load to be vaped.
I did not expect to be so impressed with the Cardboard HI.
More to come....
I'm very much looking forward to your always interesting observations. I've been using a bamboo HI with the stainless heating core and I like it quite a bit

Vitolo

Vaporist
how's your Toasy Top by the way? is it still running? I remember your video chilling with it, watched it right before I purchased my HI..
the experience is similar to the HI in some forms?
The Hi heats faster than the Toasty Top, and differs in it's isolated "Island" of heat.
I loved that Toasty Top, and that was one of my favorite Videos ever!
The Toasty Top was a wonderful piece that was bedside for many years.
I moved at one point, and began living with only 3 outlets in my entire place of dwelling, and no space.
The HI was developed, and had more versatility for use with patients.
As I said, I loved that Toasty Top, and did not want to place it with a patient that may not relate to it's immense personal value.
I placed that top in the hands of FC member that I respect, and I knew he would love it.
A man named @Diggy Smalls now is owner of one of the favorite log vapes I have ever owned.... A Toasty Top.
I now have an original AromaZap, re-worked by @Alan into a HI, and it still kicks ass.
It is my Saturday morning vape.....
and it has various applications throughout the week.
I love @Alan 's work, and his attitude.
He is a Master among Multi-Talwented Eccentric and Prolific Inventors, whose mind never stops.
( I was tempted to say "never stops spinning".... @Alan , besides creating the Toasty Top..... is a Master Top Spinner.
Sure, there are new types of tops, and people that call themselves masters.......
But @Alan is the Master of Old School Top Spinning!
See https://www.woodtops.com/
and also:
http://www.markhaywardismyhero.com/tag/alan-gray/
NOTE:
"love you @Alan "
Now, A video.
A rare one for me... but @Alan is more like family ... and so since I am testing a couple of
aspects, I present my 1st ever totally unedited video. Bloopers left in, and raw with no video correction.
Dusty surprises me during my 1st hit.
P.S..... I am well medicated now!
Photo-on-12-15-21-at-4-27-PM.jpg

Cardboard HIs
Photo-on-12-15-21-at-4-28-PM.jpg

One 7/16 and one 3/8

Last edited:

OrsonWhales

Got my Heat Island today and im thrilled with it. Beautiful quality in every detail and the vapor is delicious and free flowing. As promised, pics below. White holly with a spalted green holly base, and matching white holly tube.
What roasting tube is that and what size heater? I like the look of that roasting tube. I have a 3/8 heater though. Not sure that’ll work. Looks great btw!

Top Bottom