The HI

Razhumikin

I got a wood slide a bowl 14 mm wpa, 2 slide a bowl wood direct draws, a glass gong, a wooden 18mm wpa, and 2 paper stems. Ive been absolutely loving it so far, great design, flavor, and efficiency, and the wide variety of roasting tubes make using the HI a diverse experience. Really a pleasure to use.

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
I received a bamboo Heat Island from Alan last week, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I’m excited! I had to take an extended (and unwanted) break from using cannabis medically, and am now just getting back into the swing of things. I’m just starting to use some low-grade homemade edibles to build my tolerance back, and I’ll start using some CBD and CBG flower in the next day or two I hope.

I love how minimalistic and small the device is, and I think it fits my station in life :cool:: poor, disabled, and in need of something reliable and simple. I’m hoping to keep the HI on most days in my “office” and use it for serial microdosing of hemp flower (and work in some THC dominant cannabis in the next couple of weeks).

I asked Alan for the larger diameter glass cover for the heating element, and glass stems/bowls. My experience in the past has been: the more glass (and less other things) the better! I received two glass bowls/WPA for 14mm glass (all I own); a paper tube roasting tube (this fascinates me, and means… well, I can make my OWN!); a VVPS; and the bamboo HI.

But, and I admit I haven’t taken this for a test run, I’m a bit intimidated as a first time log user. All my other vapes have heat sources a fixed distance from the material. In this “glass on glass” setup from Alan… the glass heating element cover doesn’t mate smoothly with the glass bowls… it’s all manual! Anyone have experience or tips using the glass on glass versions of the HI?

How far from the material should the heating element be kept? Do I use a spare screen to ‘sandwich’ the material in the stem to keep it distant from the element? Do I just hover over it like a heat wand (which is a bit intimidating). I may end up ordering some other roasting tubes if I can’t manage the “hovering over the material” job with my hands.

Any advice for a newb?

hoptimum

I received a bamboo Heat Island from Alan last week, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I’m excited! I had to take an extended (and unwanted) break from using cannabis medically, and am now just getting back into the swing of things. I’m just starting to use some low-grade homemade edibles to build my tolerance back, and I’ll start using some CBD and CBG flower in the next day or two I hope.

I love how minimalistic and small the device is, and I think it fits my station in life :cool:: poor, disabled, and in need of something reliable and simple. I’m hoping to keep the HI on most days in my “office” and use it for serial microdosing of hemp flower (and work in some THC dominant cannabis in the next couple of weeks).

I asked Alan for the larger diameter glass cover for the heating element, and glass stems/bowls. My experience in the past has been: the more glass (and less other things) the better! I received two glass bowls/WPA for 14mm glass (all I own); a paper tube roasting tube (this fascinates me, and means… well, I can make my OWN!); a VVPS; and the bamboo HI.

But, and I admit I haven’t taken this for a test run, I’m a bit intimidated as a first time log user. All my other vapes have heat sources a fixed distance from the material. In this “glass on glass” setup from Alan… the glass heating element cover doesn’t mate smoothly with the glass bowls… it’s all manual! Anyone have experience or tips using the glass on glass versions of the HI?

How far from the material should the heating element be kept? Do I use a spare screen to ‘sandwich’ the material in the stem to keep it distant from the element? Do I just hover over it like a heat wand (which is a bit intimidating). I may end up ordering some other roasting tubes if I can’t manage the “hovering over the material” job with my hands.

Any advice for a newb?
Do you have the VVPS?

hoptimum,
Reactions: Vitolo

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Any advice for a newb?

Load enough to fill the basket screen, I actually like to keep the HI upside down and used to prevent any possible crumbs dropping, but while you are inhaling they will not drop and the heat will keep them in the basket firm until you poke them loose again... No need to hover, but yeah with the glass core you do need to hold the stem there as you use it, steel cores have a little fin you can rest the stem on (or if using upside down throw water piece, rest the HI on) if you are using your HI on a water piece, it is really easy, just keep the stem in your water piece and turn the HI upside down to use it like a lighter on top of the bowl! You can also sandwich it with another screen if you want more peace of mind, but I find that a little more annoying to load and unload then (I got these slidabowl stems from Alan with my original glass core HI in the smaller size, they feature a glass stem and screen and another narrower glass stem and screen that fits inside and sandwiches the herbs... Get to know yours and enjoy!

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Load enough to fill the basket screen, I actually like to keep the HI upside down and used to prevent any possible crumbs dropping, but while you are inhaling they will not drop and the heat will keep them in the basket firm until you poke them loose again... No need to hover, but yeah with the glass core you do need to hold the stem there as you use it, steel cores have a little fin you can rest the stem on (or if using upside down throw water piece, rest the HI on) if you are using your HI on a water piece, it is really easy, just keep the stem in your water piece and turn the HI upside down to use it like a lighter on top of the bowl! You can also sandwich it with another screen if you want more peace of mind, but I find that a little more annoying to load and unload then (I got these slidabowl stems from Alan with my original glass core HI in the smaller size, they feature a glass stem and screen and another narrower glass stem and screen that fits inside and sandwiches the herbs... Get to know yours and enjoy!
So many choices/options with the HI, got me doing my homework so I’m halfway ready when my number comes up for a custom. I know these logs are top notch construction, any concern about breakage on the glass core from normal desktop knock overs @Shit Snacks ?

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Thank you snacks! This is exactly what I needed to know. I use my vapes almost exclusively through water pieces or a sherlock. I guess the hovering over like a lighter is the deal :) I kind of like that! When I decided to ask Alan for a custom, dead simple dealio, I wanted to fill out my limited vape collection with a log vape, but also was hoping it could sort of be like a plug-in and tethered Sticky Brick. I love the brick (and will continue to use it), but I’d love a plug-in daily driver that is NOT a heavy hitter (I have a couple of those). I’m back to serial micro-dosing for at least a few months (getting used to new pharmacy meds and new treatment regimen), so I suspect I’m going to let the DiTanium, elev8rs, and bangers sit in the lock-up cabinet for a while. I’m excited to learn the HI almost exactly *because* of it’s “limitation” I keep hearing about, the smaller bowl size :)

Cheers!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
So many choices/options with the HI, got me doing my homework so I’m halfway ready when my number comes up for a custom. I know these logs are top notch construction, any concern about breakage on the glass core from normal desktop knock overs @Shit Snacks ?

Nice! Yeah so gentle knock over on the desk will not harm the glass core, the shape of mine has a smaller base, so that's happened a couple times, more of a risk is a hard fall could dislodge the heater cover, although mine has been pretty secure, and it can be reinserted if necessary... Similarly the heater core cover can be replaced if it ever does break! I think Alan can even include a spare if you want though I don't think it's necessary... I only have the small 3/8 glass core HIbrid, I will get the large 7/16 size when my name comes up yet again for a custom (Right now he is making me a large 7/16 standard steel core)

Thank you snacks! This is exactly what I needed to know. I use my vapes almost exclusively through water pieces or a sherlock. I guess the hovering over like a lighter is the deal :) I kind of like that!

Yeah dude, that's what I like so much about using stem-based pure convection on demand vapes through water, it's just like having a bowl and a lighter! So you're not going to exactly hover over it, you do want to mate the glass to the stem so it is an airtight seal, but yes you hold the HI there the whole time and then remove it and then remove the stem to clear (or you may not need to remove the stem) so just make sure you leave if enough room loading, for the tip of the stem to connect to the tip of the HI cleanly, although if any herbs do stick to the glass core is easy to brush them off and if necessary clean with iso q-tip after it is cool to down powered off...

When I decided to ask Alan for a custom, dead simple dealio, I wanted to fill out my limited vape collection with a log vape, but also was hoping it could sort of be like a plug-in and tethered Sticky Brick. I love the brick (and will continue to use it), but I’d love a plug-in daily driver that is NOT a heavy hitter (I have a couple of those). I’m back to serial micro-dosing for at least a few months (getting used to new pharmacy meds and new treatment regimen), so I suspect I’m going to let the DiTanium, elev8rs, and bangers sit in the lock-up cabinet for a while. I’m excited to learn the HI almost exactly *because* of it’s “limitation” I keep hearing about, the smaller bowl size :)

Cheers!

Haha yeah that's fun you are going to like the HI a lot I think for this use! It's funny since I've been using cloud connoisseur Halo and Atlas and large bowl sizes, with a large HI incoming, I probably should bring out my little HI again for some microdosing!

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks so much for the kind words and posting the video and photos @Vitolo Glad the testing is going well. The heavy duty cardboard HI is based on the concept I had for a toilet paper tube HI, where a puck shaped wood base slides into the tube. The power plug extends through a hole in the cardboard tube to the power socket mounted inside the wood puck. I have started to use the same technique for bamboo HI’s. Here is how they look.
716bamboohi.jpeg

716bamboohibottom.jpeg

I bore a hole into the bottom to allow the wood puck to slide in. The ss heater cover attaches to the wood puck using two ss screws, so it will never become loose and rattle. Since the wood helps to stabilize the shape of the bamboo and there is no stress from a power socket in the bamboo, there should be a low chance of cracking. The old method involved shaping a cork ring to the proper size and shape to fit inside the bamboo. I can use this new method for glass heater covers since the hole bored in the bamboo is the same size as the cork ring and the wood puck holds the cork ring in place. My limitation on bamboo size was 1.5” ID, since that is the largest cork rings I can find. Now I can attach the cork ring to the wood puck base if the ID is larger than 1.5”. Have some cool looking larger size bamboo that I can now use. This same assembly method can be applied to any wood shell, so there is continuous wood from top to bottom.
@Razhumikin Glad you are happy with your holly wood HI. So many different ways to roast.
@GoldenBud Thanks for posting the videos. I generally never clean my heater cover unless some oil drips down inside. Have had some units back in for repair that had the air intake slits clogged with debris, so there are times when it is nice to take them apart. It is more of a challenge taking apart those units using a ss cartridge heater w/ screen fins. The fins can get caught on the air intake slits and come off the heater. They aren’t really meant to be taken apart, but can come apart for repairs as needed.
Have really been enjoying paper roasting tubes with the HI.
https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/paper-roasting-tubes.51923/
The screen stays so clean and I just make a new tube when the old one gets dirty. Will never shatter when dropped.
Received some watt meters, but still need to modify them with the 5.5mm x 2.1mm socket and jack.

darkstar72

@DRCousCous How is your bamboo HI treating you? What size core did you get? And is it working as expected, better or worse, for what you thought it would be as a microdosong vape?

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
@DRCousCous How is your bamboo HI treating you? What size core did you get? And is it working as expected, better or worse, for what you thought it would be as a microdosong vape?
Hey! It is, as yet, mostly untested. It got very cold here, and my office had some roofing/heating issues, so… What I do know is that the HI with glass core doesn’t work at temperatures below freezing. Can’t get enough heat to roast the material.

I got the large size glass core, and will report back when the weather improves or I have an indoor place to try it out. I suspect this (like most of my plug-in convection devices) only works within certain ambient temperature parameters. Which is ok, I’ve come to expect it. I rely on butane vapes (and/or concentrates) when it’s too cold to get good vaping temps.

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Hey guys, watching the CouchLog thread got me thinking; couldn't you install quartz balls inside the HI heater to increase its thermal mass?

vaporoufixtras,
Reactions: GoldenBud
Top Bottom