The HI

dimmusp

I got my HI (beautiful bamboo unit!) and at first I thought it was broken because it wouldn't heat up.

It turns out that it only heats up if I orient the barrel plug of the extension cord in a certain way (with the cable pointing straight up). If I point it sideways, then it doesn't make electrical contact (and you can actually see that the voltage at the VVPS goes up by ~0.3-0.4 V since there is no load).

Is this a common occurrence? Is there a way to make the barrel plug make a better contact?

Thanks

GoldenBud

I got my HI (beautiful bamboo unit!) and at first I thought it was broken because it wouldn't heat up.

It turns out that it only heats up if I orient the barrel plug of the extension cord in a certain way (with the cable pointing straight up). If I point it sideways, then it doesn't make electrical contact (and you can actually see that the voltage at the VVPS goes up by ~0.3-0.4 V since there is no load).

Is this a common occurrence? Is there a way to make the barrel plug make a better contact?

Thanks
photo please? i hope the + is not having a contact with the - .... inside the tube of the heater.

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

Here you go. Keep in mind that there are three images and you need to keep on the arrows to see the rest.
Thanks

mail Alan about the problem. in my case the + touched the - and i had to open the screws, after it was fall from the table long story....but now my HI kicks asses again ( had to open the screws etc.. with blu tack adhesive to the screwdiver) not too much but it was worth it

GoldenBud,
Reactions: dimmusp

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah I've never had any problems plugging and unplugging mine, at any angle, even after a drop. Alan will take care of you!

Shit Snacks,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Here you go. Keep in mind that there are three images and you need to keep on the arrows to see the rest.
Thanks

There is a strip of metal inside the power socket that touches the outside of the plug barrel. If you gently pry it towards the center pin using a tiny screwdriver, it will make better contact when you plug in the extension cord. Send me an email if you are still having issues.

dimmusp

There is a strip of metal inside the power socket that touches the outside of the plug barrel. If you gently pry it towards the center pin using a tiny screwdriver, it will make better contact when you plug in the extension cord. Send me an email if you are still having issues.
Thanks Alan, that helped!

I gotta say I love using the HI. The whole workflow is super convenient. Perfect on-demand convection without having to worry about batteries, pressing buttons, temperatures, etc. Plus it looks super nice!

OrsonWhales

I’m in the market for a log vape. Anyone know how long the waitlist is now? I’d prefer the HI over other logs but patience isn’t necessary my virtue. Thanks

OrsonWhales,

Shit Snacks

I’m in the market for a log vape. Anyone know how long the waitlist is now? I’d prefer the HI over other logs but patience isn’t necessary my virtue. Thanks

Just email him, if you want to buy one now he has some in stock, the wait list is only for exotic custom units... But I think the wait list is nearly 2 years now? You can get his cheaper offerings usually anytime though if you just email, cheapest logs available :tup:

darkstar72

Also, check out Alan's updated website www.toasty-top.com. The site had been static for a while but is now revamped with a lot of better information. It seems like there are ready made vapes and roasting tubes. Otherwise the wait list for a custom may be over a year. Please be aware that he is a one man shop and there is no click now to purchase option. There is an email communication process so a little patience is required.

But patience is a virtue and my take on the maker, Alan, is that he is smart and dedicated. I think I read somewhere that he has an engineering background and it seems his contributions to log vape evolution are significant - quicker heat up time and the many ways to roast.

Anyway his prices seam reasonable and pictures of his work seem quality, so I have requested a HI of own. My name came up, and I will be getting a 3/8 Diam stainless steel heater cover or traditional size. I will report back eventually when I get it and can test it out. Peace.

Last edited:

hoptimum

Certain models are more readily available than others. I just ordered a bamboo HI vaporizer from Alan. I've been using a classic walnut HI for years, and the quality of Alan's work is remarkable.

Shit Snacks

Yeah he is making me my third HI, the wait list is up to a year and a half to two years long for exotic customs, which is how I like mine, worth the wait but you can't go wrong paying less to get a bamboo or other unit now too!

Good idea to start with the standard, I had an underdog before I got my glass core regular small HI, then I got a regular small standard and now I am getting the large standard made...

Updated website looks great, so comprehensive, he offers so much!!

OrsonWhales

Also, check out Alan's updated website www.toasty-top.com. The site had been static for a while but is now revamped with a lot of better information. It seems like there are ready made vapes and roasting tubes. Otherwise the wait list for a custom may be over a year. Please be aware that he is a one man shop and there is no click now to purchase option. There is an email communication process so a little patience is required.

But patience is a virtue and my take on the maker, Alan, is that he is smart and dedicated. I think I read somewhere that he has an engineering background and it seems his contributions to log vape evolution are significant - quicker heat up time and the many ways to roast.

Anyway his prices seam reasonable and pictures of his work seem quality, so I have requested a HI of own. My name came up, and I will be getting a 3/8 Diam stainless steel heater cover or traditional size. I will report back eventually when I get it and can test it out. Peace.
I’ve been in communication with Alan. Working on getting one of his stock items while I’m on the waitlist for whatever he’s working on when he gets to me. I asked this question to him but haven’t heard back. What’s the heater size preference and why? 3/8 or 7/16. I figured the larger would Haa more even heat because of the increased surface area but What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

Shit Snacks

I’ve been in communication with Alan. Working on getting one of his stock items while I’m on the waitlist for whatever he’s working on when he gets to me. I asked this question to him but haven’t heard back. What’s the heater size preference and why? 3/8 or 7/16. I figured the larger would Haa more even heat because of the increased surface area but What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

When you go larger you are also increasing the bowl size, so I think it's just a factor of yes increased surface area for the heater and larger bowl size capability, not necessarily more even extraction?

GoldenBud

the cover that fits vapcap tip will be the best because:
1) you will want to diverse the HI's ss stem
2) ccd of vapcap is nice for convection etc
3) glass breaks. the HI WPAs will be broken one day probably..
4) easier to create/use cooling stems

Shit Snacks

the cover that fits vapcap tip will be the best because:
1) you will want to diverse the HI's ss stem
2) ccd of vapcap is nice for convection etc
3) glass breaks. the HI WPAs will be broken one day probably..
4) easier to create/use cooling stems

FYI he can make the 3/8 or the 7/16 standard steel cover fit Dyna tips if you want, I specifically told him not to though because I don't use these tips lol

Also HI WPA don't break, when they're not glass, I am getting three different WonG styles this time, one of them is going to have a glass tip bowl and glass lining tube, but the other two will have steel tip bowls and steel lining tubes...

Yeah I'm getting some glass WPA too, but my point is he offers so much steel and other materials for stems, there's no reason to be stuck with dynavap for something indestructible...

It was good to bring up the benefits though, many people love those things and have a ton of them, just not me lol

GoldenBud

FYI he can make the 3/8 or the 7/16 standard steel cover fit Dyna tips if you want, I specifically told him not to though because I don't use these tips lol

Also HI WPA don't break, when they're not glass, I am getting three different WonG styles this time, one of them is going to have a glass tip bowl and glass lining tube, but the other two will have steel tip bowls and steel lining tubes...

Yeah I'm getting some glass WPA too, but my point is he offers so much steel and other materials for stems, there's no reason to be stuck with dynavap for something indestructible...

It was good to bring up the benefits though, many people love those things and have a ton of them, just not me lol
mine fits Solo II WPA but it needs to be tamped down a bit so I prefer to use the ss stem which is also great option.... WPA as Dyna's fat mp... Yeah I get you... I forgot he has GonG for sale.. so that's totally an option too!!

OrsonWhales

When you go larger you are also increasing the bowl size, so I think it's just a factor of yes increased surface area for the heater and larger bowl size capability, not necessarily more even extraction?

Yeah, I don’t own any Dynavap stuff. Not really looking to go down that rabbit hole.

Shit Snacks

mine fits Solo II WPA but it needs to be tamped down a bit so I prefer to use the ss stem which is also great option.... WPA as Dyna's fat mp... Yeah I get you... I forgot he has GonG for sale.. so that's totally an option too!!

Oh I forgot the large one fits solo stems, I remember being excited about that, and I still have my old bent stem, but now I actually don't care or plan to use them with mine lol and oooh using that black silicone mouthpiece as the WPA? I only do that with my actual all-glass vapcap when I rarely use it lol Anyway yeah he has so many stems, steel, glass, silicone, cork, other materials too I think! The new site has a lot now

dimmusp

I'm enjoying my HI but there are a few things I'd like to improve:
  • The chamber size is a bit too small for me. What is the largest possible option? Something like the volume of S&B capsules would be good.
  • The voltage always starts high and starts to drop over time on its own. At the same time, the vape starts cold and after a while it starts to get hotter and hotter so I have to turn down the voltage to avoid scorching the weed. Is that normal?
  • The VVPS knob is *super* sensitive. Is there a better VVPS option that is not as finicky and hopefully with a power switch to I don't have to plug and unplug it from the wall every day? (electricity is very expensive here so I'd rather not leave it plugged in all day)
Thanks

BakedDiogenes

I'm enjoying my HI but there are a few things I'd like to improve:
  • The chamber size is a bit too small for me. What is the largest possible option? Something like the volume of S&B capsules would be good.
  • The voltage always starts high and starts to drop over time on its own. At the same time, the vape starts cold and after a while it starts to get hotter and hotter so I have to turn down the voltage to avoid scorching the weed. Is that normal?
  • The VVPS knob is *super* sensitive. Is there a better VVPS option that is not as finicky and hopefully with a power switch to I don't have to plug and unplug it from the wall every day? (electricity is very expensive here so I'd rather not leave it plugged in all day)
Thanks

1 - the biggest chamber he makes is 7/16” I believe. Should be able to accommodate a vapcap.

2 - heat soak. Turn on at slightly higher voltage and wait 15 minutes for it to stabilize. I start around 11.3.

3 - smart plug is your best option

Top Bottom