The HI

GoldenBud

Hey guys, watching the CouchLog thread got me thinking; couldn't you install quartz balls inside the HI heater to increase its thermal mass?
it can be done only if the base will have the capability of holding the extra weight as you must make sure that the plus wire will not have a contact with the minus wire, tho i am sure it can be done somehow

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
how often do you guys deep clean your HI? like, unscrew the screws.. clean the cover and the heater with 96% alcohol?
the taste is SO much better now. WOW!

Hey @GoldenBud , how do you disassemble the HI? I just took the screws out of mineI and while the cover spins freely on the base and there is a fair bit of play, I can't pull the heater out. There's strong resistance and I'm worried I'll snap some wire off.

So now trying to get my HI back together I had to get the screws back in. But their holes are deep in the narrow wooden heater protector and the screws are non magnetic! Panic struck for a moment. Or ten minutes :uhoh:
Thankfully in a rare stoner engineering moment I figured I could use the ss stem as a guide for the screws :rofl:
Once they were in the holes tightening them in was no fuss at all.

OrsonWhales

So now trying to get my HI back together I had to get the screws back in. But their holes are deep in the narrow wooden heater protector and the screws are non magnetic! Panic struck for a moment. Or ten minutes :uhoh:
Thankfully in a rare stoner engineering moment I figured I could use the ss stem as a guide for the screws :rofl:
So you were able to take it apart, and put it back together? Was it dirty once you got it apart? If you can explain the process it would be greatly appreciated. Pics would’ve been great too. Thanks!

OrsonWhales,

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
So you were able to take it apart, and put it back together? Was it dirty once you got it apart? If you can explain the process it would be greatly appreciated. Pics would’ve been great too. Thanks!

I only got as far as taking the screws out :lol: I then tried to pull off the heater cover (the metal tube inside the HI) but there was a fair amount of resistance and I stopped worrying I might tear out some wire.
So put it back together and posted here. I'm certain a more senior member of the JedHI council will hop in and fill us both out.

GoldenBud

Hey @GoldenBud , how do you disassemble the HI? I just took the screws out of mineI and while the cover spins freely on the base and there is a fair bit of play, I can't pull the heater out. There's strong resistance and I'm worried I'll snap some wire off.

I used blu tack adhesive so the screws will not fall from the screwdriver :lol: in the first time I ever opened it, not too harsh at all..
in the second time i hadn't the blu tack adhesive and it was way harder to tighten, but i did it.. with longer screwdriver
soon will have to do it again lol, brought the 3/8 ss cover that is compatible with the vapcap :cool:

GoldenBud,

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
I used blu tack adhesive so the screws will not fall from the screwdriver :lol: in the first time I ever opened it, not too harsh at all..
in the second time i hadn't the blu tack adhesive and it was way harder to tighten, but i did it.. with longer screwdriver
soon will have to do it again lol, brought the 3/8 ss cover that is compatible with the vapcap :cool:

So how do you disassemble? Take out the screws and then pull the two parts apart?

Edit: Nice heater cover addition, mine is the same. I finally figured out how the dynas are supposed to work with the HI after watching a video on the Woodscents and it's a very interesting idea.

Last edited:
vaporoufixtras,

GoldenBud

So how do you disassemble? Take out the screws and then pull the two parts apart?
after the screws can be removed, i lift the ss-cover of the heater, and then i can clean the heater and see the wires. but, one time, the + had a contact with my - wire, and the HI didn't work. since then, i double check that.
other than that.... I didn't try to remove the heater or adding beads or something. if you find a way, let me know....

GoldenBud,

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
after the screws can be removed, i lift the ss-cover of the heater, and then i can clean the heater and see the wires. once the + had a contact with my - wire, and the HI didn't work. since then, i double check that.
other than that.... I didn't try to remove the heater or adding beads or something. if you find a way, let me know....

To make absolutely sure, the two pieces of wood come apart, right?

vaporoufixtras,

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Attempted to properly disassemble my HI today. Results were... mixed.

The two pieces of wood did come apart just fine. Here are all the parts laid together.
Note: The heater has one of the fins on it, it came out together with it. This is how the cartridge heater looks by itself.
51wVsxB3LgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

However getting the heater back in the heater cover was much more of a challenge. As I was trying to push it in it would get stuck a little before getting to the end. I got my wires a little bent trying to force it in. After some trial and error I figured out the screen fins of my cartridge heater were in the way and managed to get them all out. You can see them below.
And here they are on the heater itself before I put it back together.

In the end I don't think it's a good idea to take it apart, especially with heaters with fins, as they're pretty hard to get in and out. Alan notes this in this comment.
I generally never clean my heater cover unless some oil drips down inside. Have had some units back in for repair that had the air intake slits clogged with debris, so there are times when it is nice to take them apart. It is more of a challenge taking apart those units using a ss cartridge heater w/ screen fins. The fins can get caught on the air intake slits and come off the heater. They aren’t really meant to be taken apart, but can come apart for repairs as needed.

Last edited:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
You are welcome @Vaporooni Thanks for posting a video.

@GoldenBud - Always good to see videos you post.

@vaporoufixtras - The stainless steel heater covers I use are too small to install quartz balls, which would also greatly restrict the air flow. I also couldn’t guarantee the balls would never break and create glass dust/shards. I find the ss screen fins don’t impact the air flow too much and provide a lot more surface area for heating air. Good to see you were able to get your HI reassembled. Getting those screen fins formed so they fit the heater is quite the process. You can appreciate the skill and effort it takes to assemble a HI.

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Been using the HI close to a year and I wanted to do a little review plus share some thoughts on it.

To begin with Alan is excellent to deal with, offers a ton of options and has very economical logs. Shipment to EU was no problem at all, I paid $184 all in. Got the 7/16", cartridge heater, ss heater cover, square HI plus the ss stem (comes standard), two 5" glass stems and two 3" glass slit end concentrate tubes (plus a VVPS). I've been using it exclusively through a bubbler as you can see below (excuse the filthiness).

I have only been using the glass stem as I prefer the all glass vapor path. Both flat and basket screens work excellent.
My heater is on the powerful side, so I run it between 9.7-10.8V (8.2-10.1W). It's perfect for my way of medicating, as I can finish a bowl in 2 powerful, tasty hits. My bows are pretty small, at most I will fill the whole basket screen to the top. Loving it this way.
Edit: ABV after two hits

Some thoughts on its use-
  • You definitely need a wattage meter to use it properly (Alan explained it to me when ordering). What you really care about is how much power the heater is drawing and wattage is more representative than voltage. I've been using a power meter (like a Kill A Watt).
  • Voltage drift is normal. I always set it ~0.3V higher when first plugging it in.
  • Heatsoaking works wonders. I leave mine on for ~15m before taking the first hit.
  • You can't do back to back hits (at least in my way of roasting), but due to its quickly replenishable small thermal mass you can hit it again in 30-60s.
  • The power jack connection on the HI can be fiddly. It's very easy to see with a watt meter, as turning the jack around in its socket can vary the wattage greatly, up to 1W. When your whole range from super low to combustion is 2W total, that can be a problem. Alan notes a solution here, it helped a bit.
There is a strip of metal inside the power socket that touches the outside of the plug barrel. If you gently pry it towards the center pin using a tiny screwdriver, it will make better contact when you plug in the extension cord. Send me an email if you are still having issues.
Another trick I've been using is pulling the jack out to the point where there is the most friction, meaning there is very good contact between the contacts. You can see my example below. Using it this way the wattage stays rock solid.​
  • The roast can be a little centralized using the glass stem. Mainly an issue with the flat screens, basket ones work much better. See image below.
    Edit: added second image showing results with a basket screen.
  • Only things that need cleaning is the stem, the screen and your water piece. All of which can be cleaned perfectly thoroughly and quickly with iso.
It's an excellent device and I love using it. Powerful, tasty, economical, great craftsmanship.
The only negative in the whole experience has been the VVPS. Not Alan's fault obviously, it's a standard budget model that he sells for your convenience; you can use your own. It simply doesn't have the resolution necessary to unlock the full potential of the HI. I think something like the Advanced Telemetry Module by REFC Labs would work brilliantly.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The only negative in the whole experience has been the VVPS. Not Alan's fault obviously, it's a standard budget model that he sells for your convenience; you can use your own. It simply doesn't have the resolution necessary to unlock the full potential of the HI. I think something like the Advanced Telemetry Module by REFC Labs would work brilliantly.

Awesome, yeah I'm getting Alan's own-made micro vvps (that is a circuit board affixed to wood with a wood knob) with my next HI order but he is finishing up, that one is much nicer I think, but I am also getting the watt meter! I have a slightly larger micro vvps from him from my first HI that has buttons instead of a knob, it is also quite nice, but I can confirm that the REFC ATM (he made me one) is a truly phenomenal product too!

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Awesome, yeah I'm getting Alan's own-made micro vvps (that is a circuit board affixed to wood with a wood knob) with my next HI order but he is finishing up, that one is much nicer I think, but I am also getting the watt meter! I have a slightly larger micro vvps from him from my first HI that has buttons instead of a knob, it is also quite nice, but I can confirm that the REFC ATM (he made me one) is a truly phenomenal product too!

Is this the micro VVPS with the buttons? He did a great job reorganizing the site but don't see the one with the wooden knob.
plasticboxvoltagecontrolleropen.jpeg

Shit Snacks

Is this the micro VVPS with the buttons? He did a great job reorganizing the site but don't see the one with the wooden knob.
plasticboxvoltagecontrolleropen.jpeg

No, that is actually the one with the wooden knob! This is a version in a plastic case, without the wood bottom, I've posted photos in here, I hope they're still active viewable, with my VVPS that has the buttons and it is on oakwood, I definitely posted it more recently in the cloud connoisseur Halo thread if you want to check there!

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
No, that is actually the one with the wooden knob! This is a version in a plastic case, without the wood bottom, I've posted photos in here, I hope they're still active viewable, with my VVPS that has the buttons and it is on oakwood, I definitely posted it more recently in the cloud connoisseur Halo thread if you want to check there!

Found it (old wooden VVPS) for anyone else interested.
PXL-20210913-193451600.jpg

^this is a digital vvps from Alan that I had made with my first Heat Island, figured it would be nicer to use than my aromatizer vvps's, having the amps with the volts allows me to calculate the wattage...

Where does the knob fit in the newer one though? I can only see two holes for the dc jacks in the plastic casing.
plasticboxvoltagecontroller.jpeg

vaporoufixtras,
Reactions: Alan

Shit Snacks

Found it (old wooden VVPS) for anyone else interested.

To clarify, the one with the buttons is not old, it is still available from Alan, and you can get the board below on wood as well, he may have them already made, but is more of custom order to get one made, especially with the wood I suppose?

Where does the knob fit in the newer one though? I can only see two holes for the dc jacks in the plastic casing.
plasticboxvoltagecontroller.jpeg

Again this one is not newer, in fact it is actually older, he released and announced the smaller one first, none of us really knew about the larger one until I got it with my order then and I don't know anyone else who has gotten it here... The plastic casing is a more recent innovation, but I wouldn't call it new, it's the website being updated that is new, but it is still not entirely comprehensive because he offers so much!

And you are overthinking the knob, it is literally right above the digital display, tiny wooden knob, it is attached to a screw, without the knob you need it a separate tool to adjust the voltage, so he started including the knob, all of this is posted in this thread if you skim backwards, but whoever does that :lol::tup:

GoldenBud

Note: The heater has one of the fins on it, it came out together with it. This is how the cartridge heater looks by itself.
was it easy for you to unscrew the screws? and screw it again? did you use blu tac or smth?

Last edited:
GoldenBud,

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
was it easy for you to unscrew the screws? and screw it again? did you use blu tac or smth?

Yeah man pretty easy. Unscrewing is just a matter of having a long enough screwdriver and screwing them back on I just used the ss stem as a guide (to get the screw in the hole before tightening it with the screwdriver).

vaporoufixtras,
Reactions: GoldenBud
Top Bottom