The HI

dimmusp

Hey guys, I'd like to learn more about the Heat Island but there's no way I'm reading all 257 pages 😁

More or less how far back should I go to learn about the most recent generation of the HI?

Thanks

dimmusp,

CurryLeafTreehugger

Ask and ye shall receive ... by that I mean just ask. I'm not sure how "far back" would be appropriate and you would still have to wade through a lot of posts.

CurryLeafTreehugger,
  • Haha
Reactions: Sour Dream

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hey guys, I'd like to learn more about the Heat Island but there's no way I'm reading all 257 pages 😁

More or less how far back should I go to learn about the most recent generation of the HI?

Thanks

Just start from here and go backwards skimming! You shouldn't really need more than several pages if even, that's the latest.

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: dimmusp

dimmusp

How hard is it to use the HI, given that it's unregulated?

Would it be harder than a regulated vape like the TP80, Tinymight, or Mighty?

Thanks

dimmusp,

dimmusp

It is regulated, with VVPS, still different from those other vapes though... Do you have any familiarity with log style vaping?
Not at all. The only vapes I've ever tried are the TETRAx (never got the mod firmware / resistance, etc. to work consistently) and the Crafty+ (my current vape, which even though it's meant for sessions I use as a semi on demand by dumping out the capsules, but the battery runs out and I always wonder if it could hit harder without the light going from green to red mid-hit).

Shit Snacks

Not at all. The only vapes I've ever tried are the TETRAx (never got the mod firmware / resistance, etc. to work consistently) and the Crafty+ (my current vape, which even though it's meant for sessions I use as a semi on demand by dumping out the capsules, but the battery runs out and I always wonder if it could hit harder without the light going from green to red mid-hit).

If you email Alan he can explain it simply or if you skim through here, basically VVPS controls the voltage level to regulate, otherwise it is going to be similar style using to a tetra in session mode that you keep separate from the bowl, you can use a straw or I like to use WPA style with a j-hook or waterpiece, fairly simple yet versatile!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
It's preference I guess, I've owned logs and tops in the past and prefer them to basically any vaporizer. The bamboo is just the fun tropical budget version of a top. Though different materials conduct heat differently of course.

It's more a question of Log vape > DBV, to me.

My personal vaping needs are just best met with a good log/top. I'm hitting the DBV directly from the glass roasting tube, holding the unit up to my face for every puff. I don't like plastic tubing. So in my particular case (though honestly who really prefers plastic tubing to direct glass inhalation?) the DBV is superfluous to need, or will be once my bamboo unit arrives.
Is it cool 2 vape with a HI or paper joint?
H2O PATH + VAPOR = CIVILIZATION REALIZED

dimmusp

Just wanted to report that I took my HI to a friends house, and his girl has strong hands or something, cuz when I told her to carb the hole at the bottom (cork end) she really pressed and it went in but I thought readjusting it would take care of it and ever since then my HI was acting up. Occasionally it coombusted after that event and then it happened.

It randomly died. I checked through the hole in the cork and one of the leads broke off at the soldering.
Does that mean that the airpath of the HI goes through electronics / solder?

Thanks

dimmusp,
Reactions: ataxian

Shit Snacks

Does that mean that the airpath of the HI goes through electronics / solder?

Thanks

I don't know where you dug up that post from, or the details of it, but no no it does not, Alan does not use solder pretty positive, he would never have something like that in the air path, he prides himself on purity! And there are not really electronics in a log vape?

dimmusp

I don't know where you dug up that post from, or the details of it, but no no it does not, Alan does not use solder pretty positive, he would never have something like that in the air path, he prides himself on purity! And there are not really electronics in a log vape?
Glad to hear that!

I found it on page 235 (I've been reading the thread since page 200 to learn as much as I can about the HI):

Shit Snacks

Glad to hear that!

I found it on page 235 (I've been reading the thread since page 200 to learn as much as I can about the HI):

Yeah I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about that, I'm sure Alan could assuage any concerns for you via email, or he will post here at some point, he may be busy now!

GraniteState420

I would really like to use gold mesh or wool for the metal mass, as it should have no impact on the taste and will conduct heat quite well. Not sure where I would find something like that.

Working on a batch of bamboo suction cups with the bottoms cut out. They were already the right length, so I didn't have to cut them. The inside diameter is within the range of the cork rings I can get and it is fairly round in shape, which will make installing the cork rings easier. They have been treated to resist cracking, so they should last a long time.
I would consider making a batch from heavy duty cardboard tubes. Painting them is certainly an option. They could really be personalized.

The 10mm glass nipple fits to a 3/8" ss heater cover like a ball and socket joint, which allows you to change the angle to allow more or less room air to leak in to reduce the roasting temperature. The 10mm glass nipple fits into the end of the 7/16" ss heater cover similar to how the ss roasting tubes fit. There is an 8mm basket screen inside the glass nipple that can be positioned anywhere within the tube. The end of a 3" long 10mm glass tube can be shaped to function the same way. The roasting is in glass rather than in stainless steel.

Glad to hear you have been enjoying your "glass one hitter". There are so many different ways to put roasting tubes together. It is fun to discover new ways of roasting. It is certainly possible to make a cork connector with a 1/2" hole in one end and a 3/8" hole in the other. The only problem I have found with using ss tube in cork is that it gets so hot that the cork doesn't want to hold onto it, especially if the ss tube is very short.
The silicone tips are a nice way to get only hot air through the material. With the silicone providing a seal, I am able to hold the HI at an angle to the roasting tube so that the hot air sort of hits the sides of the roasting bowl. That also helps with even roasting.
I grabbed a six pack of 12 inch glass straws off Amazon for 7 bucks....they're 10mm....loving my extended turbo-tube.... kicks ass! Hope you're well Alan.

my Heat Island is coming in 2 days, im very excited :)
it will be my fifth vape.
1.) Mighty
2.) Dynavap
3.) Sticky Brick
4.) Elev8r (torch)

the SB i can't use through water, and the Elev8r can be slightly inconvenient to set up.
i am very much looking forward to a log!
(i'm sure the log will inspire the search for a perfect desktop, and VAS so it goes.... :)

i hope i can finish this thread before tuesday!
cheerio ;)
Great starting 5!

~vapeslut.xo~

So here my "problem" with the HI.

It seems like it takes forever to finish. i am sitting here sucking hard through my Matrix sidecar (no lame jokes please :)
But the bowls i pack take a long time to fully extract.

I am not sure if this is a glass problem...it's likely. Because i have to use an adapter for my Mobius and it is not airtight.
Or i am not sure if the HI can not fully extract a bowl fast enough.
Can anyone comment on that last part? Perhaps someone with bigger glass?

Shit Snacks

So here my "problem" with the HI.

It seems like it takes forever to finish. i am sitting here sucking hard through my Matrix sidecar (no lame jokes please :)
But the bowls i pack take a long time to fully extract.

I am not sure if this is a glass problem...it's likely. Because i have to use an adapter for my Mobius and it is not airtight.
Or i am not sure if the HI can not fully extract a bowl fast enough.
Can anyone comment on that last part? Perhaps someone with bigger glass?

Have you gotten the adapter I linked? So you can use your matrix sidecar properly with the 14 mm adapter?? Have you tried it through the globe, and what about steel stem?

What voltage are you using, because you can always turn it up... But also I find it better as I've said to load smaller bowls so they can be fully extracted quicker and then you get to load a fresh bowl for the taste too!

~vapeslut.xo~

Have you gotten the adapter I linked? So you can use your matrix sidecar properly with the 14 mm adapter?? Have you tried it through the globe, and what about steel stem?

What voltage are you using, because you can always turn it up... But also I find it better as I've said to load smaller bowls so they can be fully extracted quicker and then you get to load a fresh bowl for the taste too!
No i'm sorry , im still waiting on the Chinese adapters!
I mean, it seems pretty airtight if i hold it together. I doubt much is escaping if any honestly!

For some reason i dont enjoy the Mega globe much. I dont know why, its not a bad piece.
I just tried it again, with the stem (not the whip).
It certainly "seems" to extract better thru this tho...I dont know!

PS I'm at full voltage :)
i just used the SS stem for 5 in a row...a moderate buzz. Perhaps my tolerance is just really high right now!

Shit Snacks

No i'm sorry , im still waiting on the Chinese adapters!
I mean, it seems pretty airtight if i hold it together. I doubt much is escaping if any honestly!

For some reason i dont enjoy the Mega globe much. I dont know why, its not a bad piece.
I just tried it again, with the stem (not the whip).
It certainly "seems" to extract better thru this tho...I dont know!

PS I'm at full voltage :)
i just used the SS stem for 5 in a row...a moderate buzz. Perhaps my tolerance is just really high right now!

Oh haha I told you to order the one from thick ass glass! I didn't realize that was the adapter you got from DHgate, for shame :p I know it feels air tight but it definitely does make a difference, but yeah that is also probably not the best piece, I think you are going to have much more success with your HI through the inline rig bubbler you just ordered... Also building your tolerance up!

Shit Snacks,

~vapeslut.xo~

Oh haha I told you to order the one from thick ass glass! I didn't realize that was the adapter you got from DHgate, for shame :p I know it feels air tight but it definitely does make a difference, but yeah that is also probably not the best piece, I think you are going to have much more success with your HI through the inline rig bubbler you just ordered... Also building your tolerance up!
oh no, this adapter is one i ordered from VGoodiez! (i think i had ordered before you told me)
the correct adapter is coming from China, and i'm still waiting :)

~vapeslut.xo~,

Shit Snacks

oh no, this adapter is one i ordered from VGoodiez! (i think i had ordered before you told me)
the correct adapter is coming from China, and i'm still waiting :)

Not too derail but, you mean the reducer right? And the extender adapter to use the reducer is on the way? Or you got a different adapter from VGZ that is not correct lol

~vapeslut.xo~

Not too derail but, you mean the reducer right? And the extender adapter to use the reducer is on the way? Or you got a different adapter from VGZ that is not correct lol
yes the 19m to 14f reducer, that i have, was bought from VG awhile back.
it doesnt seem to fit the Mobius properly, due to the Mobius sinking "in"

i ordered the type of adapter you suggested (several versions just to be sure) off DHGate, and am still waiting on their delivery :)

Shit Snacks

yes the 19m to 14f reducer, that i have, was bought from VG awhile back.
it doesnt seem to fit the Mobius properly, due to the Mobius sinking "in"

i ordered the type of adapter you suggested (several versions just to be sure) off DHGate, and am still waiting on their delivery :)

Cool yeah so I wouldn't waste any more use on your matrix using it with the reducer until you have the proper adapter! Personally... And I bet you will get the gooroo inline rig now before the adapters arrive anyway lol

Shit Snacks,

~vapeslut.xo~

I'm concerned i may have broken my HI :(
I dropped it earlier, and now it doesn't seem to be extracting as well.
At first i thought it was the new reducer, so i switched to the old one. no difference.

Then i tried th mega globe and it leaves my herb a light brown at the maximum!

if i hover my finger over the heater, i barely feel any heat. i'm not sure what it was like before though.
Has anyone had this happen?!

i have the vvps at maximum..have turned it on and off, all that...

nevermind...lmao...

Last edited:
Top Bottom