Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I’m just saying a fire is a pretty simple way to dissolve a company that is possibly circling a drain.
I was thinking the same thing earlier. They’ve lost some equipment, parts inventory, RMAs, and they essentially have no batteries to speak of now. What’s left? Not much except for insurance assuming they had it. Oh I forget the steel case should be out the door soon (lol).

I too was a bit surprised about a new device dropping next month but I don’t know how that could be as they were still catching up and sounded pretty close though. That’s why I thought a fire may not be so out of the question at this point. I hope it’s not so.

I’m charging my 3 old batts, one of which is good for one rip and the others perhaps a couple of chambers each. Then it’s Hopper hibernation soon, possibly for good. We’ll see...:peace:

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
That basically sounds to me like you paid it in cash essentially. Enjoy your flight, and make sure to take lots of pictures! Also say hello to @slcbdco for me! Maybe you can join him on one of his lunches with the boys!
I can go to my bank and force a chargeback I think my bank has like a 25$ fee to do so. Right now I’m trying to give @Hopper Labs the Chance to do what is right. I understand their hands are pretty full atm. I do however think the first thing they should have done after the fire is stop accepting online payments though.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I just got one a few weeks ago. How can i get my money back?

If I'm gonna have a pen shaped paper weight if prefer it to be free

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I don't see anywhere they state that all batteries are bad? They are just telling people not to use them as a way to cover their ass, if the batteries did actually have anything to do with it...

Not sure why everyone is turning against them when it seems this wasn't really in their control.

Also pretty funny that they suffered a pretty severe incident and people are still thinking they're trying to deceive? They said in direct reply to one of my posts "exciting things" were "coming soon" - of course this is ambiguous. Why would they show their hand? Now that they have suffered the losses of this fire, it's entirely possible that they have nothing to show us anymore...

Idk maybe I'm just optimistic about Hopper Labs still, or maybe I'm just bitter because I was DREAMING about using a Hopper all weekend/week so far and now my hopes seem to be dashed. I just think people are being a little insensitive, or perhaps I'm too empathetic since I haven't been thru the ringer with this device...

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I don't see anywhere they state that all batteries are bad? They are just telling people not to use them as a way to cover their ass, if the batteries did actually have anything to do with it...

Not sure why everyone is turning against them when it seems this wasn't really in their control.

Also pretty funny that they suffered a pretty severe incident and people are still thinking they're trying to deceive? They said in direct reply to one of my posts "exciting things" were "coming soon" - of course this is ambiguous. Why would they show their hand? Now that they have suffered the losses of this fire, it's entirely possible that they have nothing to show us anymore...

Idk maybe I'm just optimistic about Hopper Labs still, or maybe I'm just bitter because I was DREAMING about using a Hopper all weekend/week so far and now my hopes seem to be dashed.
Wellllllll they’ve missed countless deadlines and due dates and have been sitting on people’s to be repaired units for months and months. I can totally understand why people would be skeptical.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude

Lol, me too brother. I paid via PP but I don’t think this is something that is “disputable”, at least I don’t see how. It’s not as though the product is faulty... well maybe there’s a fault with their batteries which is a product. So because I’m a bear of very little brain, let me run through the scenario and someone with knowledge or PayPal experience tell me what their position is:

I ordered something and paid for it, they delivered my order and two weeks later the tiny manufacturer suffers a catastrophic loss and simultaneously issues advise to dispose of all of the custom batteries for it, thereby rendering my purchase worthless not only for the foreseeable future but potentially forever.

So, why is PP gonna give a fuck about my sob story? Won’t they say this is just one of the unfortunate risks being a consumer? I’m really bummed for HL and don’t think anything nefarious is going on but at the same time, to lose your “custom equipment, completed inventory, warranty units, and untold numbers of in-progress parts” sounds pretty devastating to a small company already in the midst of trying to rebuild. Just saying, a complete loss would be difficult for a young company in excellent corporate health to rebound from. Like very difficult.

Now for my final thought, and it’s a doozy: is the disposal of everyone’s batteries really necessary? I get why the company wants to cover their ass and so exercises an abundance of caution, but isn’t this an overabundance? If the FD has initially determined the cause to be an electrical issue in the building, why does HL suspect this latest batch of glossy batteries? Presumably, there would be batteries of every generation in the building? Again, not saying there’s anything dodgy going on but why should everyone throw their stuff out before the FD and HL know conclusively there’s an actual danger with the batteries? What I’m saying is: in our overly litigious society, HL has undoubtedly been advised to get in front of this to eliminate any future risk of liability but does it make practical sense to assume that there’s a fault in this latest shipment and get rid of them before knowing? Unless HL does know more about it and isn’t saying because of liability concerns.

Don’t stone me for asking about this ^ I’m really wondering if this is actually necessary or overly cautious.

Requesting battery thoughts from resident expert @KeroZen ! Thanks sir!

Very interesting firefighter thoughts @biohacker about the extent of damage, lack of alarms/sprinklers in a commercial property and that an initial determination has already been made by the FD. Makes me wonder if there isn’t more to the story we’ve gotten so far. Seems almost a certainty.

biohacker

@pxl_jockey No fire dept. that I know of will issue a fire cause & determination so quickly. Further to that, there is no way they were insured/in business without a proper working fire alarm and smoke detection system in place, that would be subjected through inspections by the fire prevention division. Add to that, their story of "smoldering fire" for "several hours" and "extremely high temps" and THEY were the ones that discovered the fire in the morning when they check in, something is 100% fishy, and IMO it just doesn't add up from the info that has been presented from them.

I also think 100% that anyone that paid with PayPal should definitely file a dispute. I've been through this process several times, most recently with the owner/operator of the Supreme vape, and they 9.9/10 side with the BUYER. I've also sold hundreds of vapes through PayPal, and have unfortunately had to take it even though the buyer was in the wrong. You have nothing to lose.

These are again just my own personal thoughts/opinions based on my own experiences with both HL and PayPal. YMMV! :)

It wouldn't surprise me if the GH vape as we know it is done. They will come up with something else I bet. I've been at the game for a while (15 years?), and it kinda reminds me of the VapeXhale Cloud /Phoenix/EVO fiasco years back. Only instead of a "rogue sabotaging manufacturer" it's a "fire". But I believe in conspiracy theories too, so there's that. :ko:

Last edited:

Vaporific

Does it work? What’s their return policy again? It may be too late, I’m not sure. But that brings up my last point:

They’ve lost some equipment, parts inventory, RMAs, and they essentially have no batteries to speak of now. What’s left?
Refunding recently placed orders in which weren’t fulfilled - and bleeding more money. Like they’re financially solvent (likely not) and can shrug off more losses.

Indeed I was on the Hopper wagon when I got my pre-order Ti back a couple of months ago from a year-long RMA stint after owning it 2 years, and waiting for it for 17 months after ordering it. Annoying times. But it’s return - and it hits oh so very well and SO much better than when I sent it in - and the good vibes lately herein really brought me over to the good side and not bash HL as I had during my RMA wait (ok, and occasionally prior but not as harshly as recently) - and start to sing the Hopper’s and HL’s praises again. However HL again is in a hole and as a daily and fairly heavy Hopper user who only has 2.1 batteries left - the 5 new ones received 3 weeks ago are enjoying a bath in cat litter in zip loc bags - my Hopper will be rendered useless soon. Unless the next battery shipment from China takes miraculously shorter than the last one (which it won’t) which I waited 6 months for (others waited longer), I’ll be shit out of luck. And that’s just me. I’m sure there are others in a similar situation here on FC and those not or don’t regularly follow HL and don’t know their recent plight and want to order new units or accessories - are they willing to stay in the Hopper game any longer?

A small part of me still wants them to succeed but it’s hard to keep watching a train wreck in slo motion over and over again. This could be the nail in the coffin for me with HL, and I fear possibly others. We’ll see...:peace::peace:

slozukimc

I say that everyone with the new batteries should invest $10 in a steel ammo can and put them in storage until we hear what actually caused the fire. Put them in a baggie and bury that in litter to keep the battery clean just in case they say “oops it was a light switch and nothing to do with the batteries”.

Guess my Ti Hopper that is in RMA is history now.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I don't have an option to put my battery in sand right now. Not for at least a week because I'm so busy I can't go get any. Should I just get rid of it and give up on the grasshopper? I live in a dorm so I can't be having an explosive battery in my room.

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
I don't have an option to put my battery in sand right now. Not for at least a week because I'm so busy I can't go get any. Should I just get rid of it and give up on the grasshopper? I live in a dorm so I can't be having an explosive battery in my room.
You can send it to me of your worried lol

Mrjamminsalmon

Got my hopper in the UK on Monday. Used it a couple of times with some peppermint, lavender, damiana and some CBD concentrates in hemp fibre .It really is a kick ass device! Got the battery email this morning and am absolutely gutted! Reckon I have any chance at a refund? I paid through PayPal credit so may have some protection, anybody have any experience with this kid of thing?

Mrjamminsalmon,
Reactions: LesPlenty

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm not aware of any case of Lithium-Ion batteries catching fire on their own while resting, disconnected from their host system (unless they were previously shocked, punctured or abused and the reaction was just delayed)

Catching fire happens during charge or discharge, or if the cells gets damaged or shorted somehow. Shorts could happen during storage if for instance you just tossed a hundred cells loose in a cardboard box, but nobody does that right?

Mrjamminsalmon

I'm not aware of any case of Lithium-Ion batteries catching fire on their own while resting, disconnected from their host system (unless they were previously shocked, punctured or abused and the reaction was just delayed)

Catching fire happens during charge or discharge, or if the cells gets damaged or shorted somehow. Shorts could happen during storage if for instance you just tossed a hundred cells loose in a cardboard box, but nobody does that right?

My SS PFE came unwrapped in a bubble wrap pouch with 2 loose batteries...

scouse

I just received 2 new batteries and a replacement charger today and I got the same email but I think if I throw these batteries I will never be able to get stock again after this so I'm in 2 minds if to keep them

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Just to be clear, I'm absolutely not inviting you to use possibly defective cells inside your vape! A venting cell inside a steel cylinder equals a pipe bomb, and from what I recall of the GH there aren't that many venting holes right? So please keep it safe guys.

My above message was just to point out that just storing them unused should not pose any risk.

fachada

My new stock "made in China" GHB2 is also out for delivery today. I don't think I'm going to throw it away just yet.

If the guys at HopperL have any brainz left in them, they will just take this unique chance to walk away.

Even if they had a great idea for an upgraded version, why would they release a new product under the burden of Grasshopper OG? (Tens of) Thousands of lifetime warranties to deal with for "ever"... pre-orders on non existing accessories... refunds filed every day... Who would ever invest in their new idea before they got out of it?

Our dear @Hopper Labs (he really upped the vibes for a moment) hasn't been around since monday... I'll wait for some more official information that HopperLabs is indeed still in business to evaluate how serious is the "made in china battery" threat.
What were they doing with the batteries overnight? that would be useful information for us too... Charging? Fast-Charging? Discharging? Testing? What kind of automated tasks was the custom equipment operating unattended?

if this was really the last we heard from them... I will enjoy every Grasshopper hit like it's its last one until the body, the heater, the back-end OR the battery eventually die.
Then it's as simple as: goodbye Grasshopper, I will remember you fondly.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

It easy to see that one possible cause of the fire was something in the battery charging operation at HL, clearly an 'electrical issue', but also involving batteries and possibly having occurred in proximity to many batteries...
@biohacker, HL said that the fire department "initially determined the fire to be an electrical issue". I think this may simply be HL's way of saying that on the day they all stood around in disbelief asking, "wtf happened?" this is what was discussed as a likely culprit and certainly not the FD's final or even stated opinion. Allow one lawyer to catch wind of potential battery venting liability and the only outcome can be to shut the whole battery thing down (in lawyer-speak) and tell people to recycle them safely. The instructions are all very lawyer-ly, "so, go ahead and call the bomb squad right after carefully putting the batteries in your cat's litter box..."

While I make an occasional sarcastic remark here, it saddens me to see how the forum, acting as social media outlet, can develop a negative and biting tone overnight. These may be strong descriptors -- I know it's not that out-of-control, but I think we could all pause and consider the sobering possible reality that this actually happened to some fellow humans and will have ripple effect on a lot of folks.

EDIT:
Hey @maxvapor710 I'm all ears about your suggestion,"I would consider doing a small production run of these if there is enough interest. Our current design replaces the original back-end (and battery) completely so there is no pass-thru charging, but it lets you stay powered up at home."

Last edited:

fachada

It easy to see that one possible cause of the fire was something in the battery charging operation at HL, clearly an 'electrical issue', but also involving batteries and possibly having occurred in proximity to many batteries...

The battery instructions clearly state "Do not charge unattended or overnight"...

Don't get me wrong I feel for theirs and everyone's loss. Sounds like a nasty destructive event that fortunately didn't harm anyone.

But we were all aware of GHL's negligent ways... and they have been goofing around with copious amounts of other ppl's money for years. After all that's happened they are trying to pin the company's demise on the Chinese Lithium cell manufacturer... that is also sad on it's own.

We are also the lot that was willing to give Hopper a new chance just for the good vibes of an anonymous customer rep. We want to believe in the Hopper THAT MUCH!

I still believe in da Hopper!! Aaaaargghhh!

Last edited:

Vaporific

The battery instructions clearly state "Do not charge unattended or overnight"...

Don't get me wrong I feel for theirs and everyone's loss. Sounds like a nasty destructive event that fortunately didn't harm anyone.

But we were all aware of GHL's negligent ways... and they have been goofing around with copious amounts of other ppl's money for years. After all that's happened they are trying to pin the company's demise on the Chinese Lithium cell manufacturer... that is also sad on it's own.
They do say that as well as reminding us in the battery fire email.

I'll wait for some more official information that HopperLabs is indeed still in business to evaluate how serious is the "made in china battery" threat.
What were they doing with the batteries overnight? that would be useful information for us too... Charging? Fast-Charging? Discharging? Testing? What kind of automated tasks was the custom equipment operating unattended?
Indeed, I’d like more information on the cause however I doubt we’ll ever get it or know. There are several scenarios that could be cited but we’ll all speculate absent of confirmation from HL which likely won’t happen. For now my new batteries remain on ice, er kitty litter (thankfully I have a feline), until further notice.

I suspect this is the death knell for HL but hope they prove me wrong. Self-inflicted? Perhaps not but their fortunes may have run out this time...:peace:

Top Bottom