Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
these comment sequence numbers like 24049, etc. -- add a "0" for padding (024049), then reverse (940420) -- the most recent comments ALL end in 420. limited time offer.
I guess sometimes it takes the sharp eye of a "New Member" to point out the obvious...it was right there!

EDIT;
Whoa! It just happened on this one, too! :doh:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
There is a lot of talk about wanting the battery to be cheaper. We will work to do this especially for power users like you. Perhaps a pack of batteries that brings the per-unit cost down?

Yes please. I was planning on buying like 5x batteries if I buy a hopper... though I am definitely waiting for sales to unveiled. :haw:

Packs of like 3/5/10 would definitely help.

4. The HBC is fully complete and is "waiting" only on production equipment and 3rd party interfacing to finish. There are still a number of steps before it goes to full-scale production, to ensure everything will go smoothly and the QC is in place to not create a huge headache. The SS case is being produced almost fully in-house which means once it starts production it will be coming out steadily. We are still aways out from this starting up though.

5. Well, I cannot disclose what is coming next at this time, but there are other exciting things happening soon.

Awww yeah. HBC is of much more interest to me than the SS case, but I do think the SS case would be nice if I end up taking a liking to the Hopper.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I cannot disclose what is coming next at this time
A bigger Hopper V2 that takes 18650 batteries and I am in...having 2 sizes to choose from would be great like a Mighty and Crafty, a home cordless and a decent little pocket portable.:myday:
I like the sound of having cheaper multi-packs of the batteries, a 4 pack for $30 odd bucks sounds good.:2c:

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
@Hopper Labs i was an early adopter of the hopper but kinda jumped ship for awhile while you guys worked the bugs out. Kinda sounds like that may be the case now so I’m thinking I may rejoin the hopper ranks. I’m looking to pull the trigger on a new one ASAP but figured I’d check with you to see if there are any current promo codes or if I should just wait until Black Friday?

MoltenTiger

a home cordless and a decent little pocket portable
This is basically what the GH is to a T, but it's more like a decent home cordless (maybe the best?) and a very good pocketable (maybe the best, if it never fails, although the signature without any added cooling is polarising).

Home/desktop units can further push the heating dynamics into something that is very much impossible to make portable, or at least pocketable. Like the Sublimator, this thing is so fucking hot, it melts hair and carpet with ease. The Eliminator, the portable Sub, is borderline in terms of portability but it probably gives off mega insane and unmatched cloudage like the electric powered Sub. However, again, it just isn't that portable at all.

With the GH, even the hottest running, combusting unit won't be melting anything like the Sub. The GH can sting to hold onto (majorly if the back-end is having resistance issues), but it doesn't actually get anywhere near the temperature that a lot of devices do. It's quick to cool down, and if functioning correctly it can be immediately pocketed after use. You can never put a Sublimator, or as properly powerful a desktop, in a pocket.

The hopper is not the pinnacle of extraction potential, however close, what it is is an instantly pocketable and amply powerful ultra portable that outclasses many desktops and is in a class of its own as a portable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as good as the GH heater tech is, it's a 100% convection extractor, and you can simply get a bigger hit from a hybrid heating dynamic with immense heat saturation and parts exceeding the chambers target temp.

As is, the GH is already what you're asking for and I don't think that a bigger size is somehow going to cause sublimation type hits, though it's definitely the next best thing to it already, the thing is, the pen size is already delivering an incredible 100% convection dynamic, and that is why I love it already. I really don't feel the need for a bigger GH.

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Had a minor scare last night with my RMA’d pre-order Ti. Put one of the new batts in, which was fully charged, and it only lasted for a couple of draws, so I swapped in another. Then I wasn’t getting much vapor between my usual 2.6-2.9 temp so I turned the temp dial a few times while it was off then tried again. I got vapor on this attempt and things are working again. The recharged battery took an hour to charge though so I’m not sure what the issue with it is yet. I hope to use it later today.

I’ll say it again: I don’t think the batteries, old and new, are quite the same and I think I got another dud with my latest new batch of 5 cells. Haven’t fully confirmed this yet but hope to soon.

I have noticed the heater clicking more now that it’s back from RMA, which I think is normal. Just another random observation but my Hopper continues to work well (except the occasional ‘sticky’ temp dial). Is there any home remedy for this? I’d hate to send it in again and will wait until necessary (I’m not at this point though). :peace:

MoltenTiger

Never with that battery capacity.:2c:
Perhaps, but the way I consider it; what the hopper does with 750mAh is unlike anything else by a good margin. I’m refilling the chamber much more than replacing batteries and I only charge externally.

Having to carry bud is a given when extra capacity is considered, so if already carrying a doob tube, or jar, or stash of some sort, it’s not a large hassle carrying a battery or many on top. Or at home, having a small desktop charge and loading station with a glass rig/s to carry to the couch or deck or kitchen is easy to manage.

I really appreciated upgrading from the Arizer EQ to the Grasshopper, being tethered to the wall sucks. I don’t mind it with the Sublimator, that whole apparatus is locked down, the anti-thesis of portable and a 100% go-to station, so what it’s tethered to the wall, a few hits and you won’t be moving all too much.
But with the GH, you can start the rip inside, upstairs, and end it leaning off the verandah. Waltz around the house with a raging matrix perc. Take a loaded hopper to the BBQ and get cooked.

The other thing with bigger capacity battery, it’s still going to follow a voltage curve during discharge continuously becoming worse and worse. It’s always the best performance on a brand new, max capacity, fully charged cell - if it has a battery and ultimate performance is desired, that is a fact.

keep the cell small and fast to charge, keep the devices energy efficient. Bring on the USB-C PD age. I am keen for a shiny SS cylinder to find a home on my desk, with my desktops as my everyday desktop charger for my everyday maker.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
what the hopper does with 750mAh is unlike anything else by a good margin.

That's true, but if they could achieve 4x the current capacity utilizing an 18650 without even making the device 1.5x larger, IMO that's a major win-win compared to toting extra cells.

When you consider the form factor of a typical 18650 ecig set-up, I'm pretty confident the Grasshopper650 would still be easily pocketable. Although I'm one of the dudes that voted long ago to just release the heating assembly as a 510 attachment during the midst of battery troubles.

Keeping cells small and quick to charge is an admirable point, but on the contrary this also puts wear and tear on a cell significantly faster, approaching X amount of discharge cycles in less time than other formats. There's definitely pros and cons to both approaches. Would be kinda cool to have both options, ala Crafty/Mighty

slozukimc

That's true, but if they could achieve 4x the current capacity utilizing an 18650 without even making the device 1.5x larger, IMO that's a major win-win compared to toting extra cells.

When you consider the form factor of a typical 18650 ecig set-up, I'm pretty confident the Grasshopper650 would still be easily pocketable. Although I'm one of the dudes that voted long ago to just release the heating assembly as a 510 attachment during the midst of battery troubles.

Keeping cells small and quick to charge is an admirable point, but on the contrary this also puts wear and tear on a cell significantly faster, approaching X amount of discharge cycles in less time than other formats. There's definitely pros and cons to both approaches. Would be kinda cool to have both options, ala Crafty/Mighty

Have you ever carried a Persei in your pocket? A Hopper 18650 would be the same diameter but longer. I like the size and battery capacity of my Hopper. I don’t mind carrying three spare batteries in the handy little 3d printed case. Herb goes in one of my Dynavap tubes with a W9 Bender cleaning brush/tool. Nothing beats that small of a package with the punch of a Hopper.

I challenge anyone to show me another vape that fits in your pocket well and can come out, take a giant rip and go back in your pocket in 30 seconds or less. All while roasting the bowl evenly with no stirring.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Have you ever carried a Persei in your pocket? A Hopper 18650 would be the same diameter but longer. I like the size and battery capacity of my Hopper. I don’t mind carrying three spare batteries in the handy little 3d printed case. Herb goes in one of my Dynavap tubes with a W9 Bender cleaning brush/tool. Nothing beats that small of a package with the punch of a Hopper.

I challenge anyone to show me another vape that fits in your pocket well and can come out, take a giant rip and go back in your pocket in 30 seconds or less. All while roasting the bowl evenly with no stirring.

Is that a Persei in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? :rofl:

Honestly, I don't see how carrying three spare batteries makes for a more compact setup than a single GH650 with a doob tube of herb though. I just don't!

My situation is different than most as I have a rosin press, so there are tons of vapes I can use that are more portable IMO than any dry herb device.

It's all about usage style, for me the GH is more of a cordless desktop, I don't like to use herb on the go that much.

slozukimc

Is that a Persei in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? :rofl:

Honestly, I don't see how carrying three spare batteries makes for a more compact setup than a single GH650 with a doob tube of herb though. I just don't!

My situation is different than most as I have a rosin press, so there are tons of vapes I can use that are more portable IMO than any dry herb device.

It's all about usage style, for me the GH is more of a cordless desktop, I don't like to use herb on the go that much.

Three spare batteries equals 4 total on the go with the one in the Hopper. The Hopper cells are so much smaller I hardly notice the three together in my pocket while 18650’s take up some real estate.

For your use I agree an 18650 Hopper would rock. I too love the idea of Hopper guts in a 510 device. I also use mine around the house mostly. I do get sick of swapping batteries at home.

MoltenTiger

Well it is definitely not a stretch to have the hopper heater tech on higher capacity power storage, but the voltage dip and larger size and charge times will make it more cumbersome IMO. 510 firmware means a dedicated device would be just as simple given HLs core are hardware devs. I don’t think it’s worth their time to supersize the GH. They’d be better off making a universal mains power adapter, no? Or a double barrel battery stackable caddy that fits inbetween body and back-end?

From what I’ve seen, the GHB1 was measured at an inconsistent 6A 570mAh cell. I don’t see how increasing the volume by roughly double would yield 4x the capacity without some wild chemistry change, when that chemistry is already delivering a spectrum of energy tuned for the device. An 18650 would do the same thing as the hopper we know already but last some small percentage longer, cost more, take longer to charge, offer on average less performance per hit due to available peak voltage and current draw, retain more heat, cause the device to be much greater in size and not ultra portable but “are you happy to see me” spec. I don’t know, I’ve never liked the idea. I’m not into thinning phones to a point where they are all meant to be charged daily and replaced ideally annually. But I do consider that there is a right size for the design task, and the GH is that, for what it is, a 100% convection heat exchanger invented to volatise phytochemicals for inhalation, it does it very well. A 510 mod might be a big success, but I’d prefer the GH to fill that void and I think it’s capable to do it. It’s a genius design, and part of that genius is how it’s not a fat marker but subliminal.

If a fat hopper really had 4x the herb processing capability, which is what roughly 2.4g of roasting, I think I’d still opt for the ordinary GH.

Because it doesn’t require all that extra capacity to comfortably do it’s thing.
The GH is ultra portable, it’s the size of my Dynavap M with 10mm-14mm glass adapter stuck on.

You would want to have spare cells even if they were 18650, and so then it becomes a hassle to have three cells. It’s not a hassle handling 3 GHB2s, they’re thinner than AA cells and shorter than 18650s.

Once I’m charging 3 in 15 mins I won’t be able to keep up. I already can’t with my 4yo battery bank, 3yo Xtar MC2 and 4 old GHB2s.

If I take the GH on a scenic short walk or ride I’d take either just a loaded hopper, or maybe a small stash jar, glass dome, and a spare cell if I was planning on getting ripped. If I’m on a day walk, I’ll have a backpack, so that’s buds, grinder, 4+ cells, loaded charged GH, stoker. If I’m hiking or camping I can pack a bubbler, battery banks, Xtar MC2, 4+ cells, multiple hoppers, multiple claisen adapters, glass dome for mid walk tokes, GH feeder for rapid clean refills in the dark next to the fire, and be set for weeks and with a good amount of herb. I’m not wanting much more than that.

If I’m at home, I’ve got charged cells on the ready around the clock, it takes all of ten seconds to have 4.2V 6A on tap. Charging an 18650 3000mAh takes 4 to 6 hours. I don’t mind it for my dive torch which can last for months because it’s a few times a year I’m taking up my GHB2 bays in the MC2. I flatten hopper cells multiple times every day. I absolutely hate charging my 4-bay box mod, it takes all day basically. With 4x batteries as a heavy user, it’s hard to manage. Having 8x 18650s is like carrying around a laptop, and that’s just for a single spare set. 4x GHB2s = perpetual energy for even my ridiculous Sub level tolerance.

Last edited:

slozukimc

Well it is definitely not a stretch to have the hopper heater tech on higher capacity power storage, but the voltage dip and larger size and charge times will make it more cumbersome IMO. 510 firmware means a dedicated device would be just as simple given HLs core are hardware devs. I don’t think it’s worth their time to supersize the GH. They’d be better off making a universal mains power adapter, no? Or a double barrel battery stackable caddy that fits inbetween body and back-end?

From what I’ve seen, the GHB1 was measured at an inconsistent 6A 570mAh cell. I don’t see how increasing the volume by roughly double would yield 4x the capacity without some wild chemistry change, when that chemistry is already delivering a spectrum of energy tuned for the device. An 18650 would do the same thing as the hopper we know already but last some small percentage longer, cost more, take longer to charge, offer on average less performance per hit due to available peak voltage and current draw, retain more heat, cause the device to be much greater in size and not ultra portable but “are you happy to see me” spec. I don’t know, I’ve never liked the idea. I’m not into thinning phones to a point where they are all meant to be charged daily and replaced ideally annually. But I do consider that there is a right size for the design task, and the GH is that, for what it is, a 100% convection heat exchanger invented to volatise phytochemicals for inhalation, it does it very well. A 510 mod might be a big success, but I’d prefer the GH to fill that void and I think it’s capable to do it. It’s a genius design, and part of that genius is how it’s not a fat marker but subliminal.

If a fat hopper really had 4x the herb processing capability, which is what roughly 2.4g of roasting, I think I’d still opt for the ordinary GH.

Because it doesn’t require all that extra capacity to comfortably do it’s thing.
The GH is ultra portable, it’s the size of my Dynavap M with 10mm-14mm glass adapter stuck on.

You would want to have spare cells even if they were 18650, and so then it becomes a hassle to have three cells. It’s not a hassle handling 3 GHB2s, they’re thinner than AA cells and shorter than 18650s.

Once I’m charging 3 in 15 mins I won’t be able to keep up. I already can’t with my 4yo battery bank, 3yo Xtar MC2 and 4 old GHB2s.

I have 5 GHB2’s in varying conditions and as long as I put one in the charger when it is done there is no way in hell I can run out of power. I use my Hopper a lot. I go through upwards of 20 fills a day sometimes and I think I could do that with only two or three new ones.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

I think I'm just too out of touch with the current performance of this device, my TI hopper would get like one bowl per charge so I guess I'm comparing everything to that experience. If I actually got 4 bowls per charge that's probably on par with many single 18650 convection vapes.

I appreciate your perspective! Still intrigued with perhaps giving this vape another go for a "one hitter" style device. Lots of on demand vapes now but not sure how many of them can really be used as a one hitter, the GH really excels there!

Last edited:

slozukimc

I think I'm just too out of touch with the current performance of this device, my TI hopper would get like one bowl per charge so I guess I'm comparing everything to that experience. If I actually got 4 bowls per charge that's probably on par with many single 18650 convection vapes.

I appreciate your perspective!
I am not good at keeping track but 4-5 bowls and 16-20 6+ second draws out of a good cell seems about what I get.

MoltenTiger

I’d say a rough average would be around 3 chambers per charge cycle, given all the different variabilities; chamber size, moisture content, usage patterns, temp selection, age, as well as device internal resistances and the cell itself, it will always vary.

Getting one chamber per charge is a sure sign of something wrong, a bad cell eventually only gives one good go, and this might be just the first toke and not even a chamber. A bad device generally just conks out and you sap all the cell energy trying desperately to do something, ending up with a light olive ABV.
A good cell and a good hopper could blast through as much as 8 chambers, maybe more with the right technique, but you will always get better performance with the first chamber on a fresh cell. On the best hopper and best battery, the performance holds up for the longest but it still tapers.

The device capabilities can differ between something fairly average and something very remarkable. It seems like the pendulum has swung the right way finally.

Considering what the GH does with power, it really would change a lot if it was designed around a higher capacity. The 18650 does not fit the bill as a good off the shelf power storage for a herb vape, when there are options like LiPo, it would be a shame to design this heater tech around the 18650. It was prototyped with 18650s so I’d say they knew what they were doing and it seems to make sense technically.

The external battery pack made with 18650s did clock up some serious toke counts, but it takes up space to do so, and you can clock up serious toke counts with a small handful of cells that take up less and don’t need to be connected.

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I am not good at keeping track but 4-5 bowls and 16-20 6+ second draws out of a good cell seems about what I get.
^ I wanna say this is my experience as well and haven't noticed any variation between my four cells. But IME/IMO only, this device doesn't lend itself to data gathering very well, the grasshopper seems to actively discourage quantification. Regardless of how sternly I talk to myself beforehand, I somehow invariably lose track during the experiment and by the time I finally realise that I've screwed up my count, again, I don't even care. :haw:

EDIT: missing words! :smug:

slozukimc

^ I wanna say this is my experience as well and haven't noticed any variation between my four cells. But IME/IMO only, this device doesn't lend itself to data gathering very well, the grasshopper seems to actively discourage quantification. Regardless of how sternly I talk to myself beforehand, I somehow invariably lose track during the experiment and by the time I finally realise that I've screwed up my count, again, I don't even care. :haw:

EDIT: missing words! :smug:

Truer words have never been spoken. Please take my figures with a pinch of herb. Thats how I made them.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Truer words have never been spoken. Please take my figures with a pinch of herb. Thats how I made them.
Which, the figures or herb? :rofl:

Seriously however, we should be able to achieve a minimum of 3 loads per fully charged battery, regardless of temp, draw strength (native vs. added filtration), herb (and all its characteristics), etc.

I’d be all for a slightly larger diameter Hopper with a different battery and slightly larger chamber, everything else being the same. I do think HL has finally righted the ship with the internals, new and RMAs, however the batteries still are a bit of a variable to me as I’ve had a few duds over the years. I’ve gotten used to swapping them because, hell, I use a lot of herb and it’s easier for me to have an extra (or two) on hand and I’d rather not depend on charging the same one if it’s spent - and you can’t use it right away. Yeah, the instant gratification thing takes over so I’ve always had extra batteries, charged, on hand. But they should perform similar if they’re charged, stored, rotated and used in the same manner (which I do).

I should be able to use the lame batt (#4 of the latest 5 I bought) from last night later today and report on how that turns out...:peace:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
They’d be better off making a universal mains power adapter, no?

IIRC they kinda claimed it would work this way to begin with via pass-thru charging; it was one of the reasons I was so excited about the Zen Pen originally cause I remember fantasizing about the idea of replacing my desktops and portables with a single device. One I could use plugged in at home, or grab on the way out the door.

Would definitely like to see this power adapter option, kinda surprised it's not already out to be honest but I guess they've had other issues to sort out first.

Top Bottom