Discontinued The Grasshopper

kingfisher

After a little over a month my blue ti unit stopped heating. The lights turn from red to blue within a second regardless of temp setting. I can hear clicking inside the unit as normal. However, I do not get heat and it shuts down as if It is not detecting my suction.

Sent in a warranty claim

btka

After a little over a month my blue ti unit stopped heating. The lights turn from red to blue within a second regardless of temp setting. I can hear clicking inside the unit as normal. However, I do not get heat and it shuts down as if It is not detecting my suction.

Sent in a warranty claim
as far as I know... and mentioned in this thread....I think you have to send it to ghl....
but maybe someone who had the same problem as you could clarify...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm pleased to say that my new batteries arrived from hopper labs in a somewhat timely fashion, and that the fixes thread seems to have resolved my new back end issues. It had been a while, I forgot how much I enjoy using it. A hopper with a clean screen, fresh battery and a cool back end is a vape for the ages!

:spliff:

Fixes thread? I am having hot back end issues too, and warranty service told me that if lights and vapor production are fine then the back end is fine too, but it honestly does get pretty scalding during a hit at any temp...

kingfisher

as far as I know... and mentioned in this thread....I think you have to send it to ghl....
but maybe someone who had the same problem as you could clarify...

Yeah was hoping someone had similar issues. I have had this happen to both my stainless and ti units now. With the stainless unit they replaced the body. Said the airflow sensor was not working.

grokit

well-worn member

jabba

If your back end is getting hot, I would imagine that your battery life could also be better.

http://fuckcombustion.com/resources/grasshopper-fixes.11/

Good luck :tup:

I had my back end replaced under warranty due to heat. It gets HOT back there...you can feel it heat up like a coil during a 10 second pull. That said...it doesn't literally burn my skin...it isn't that hot. After replacing the back end...it stayed cool for 1 day (or less)....then back to the same old hot back end. I do not notice any adverse impact on battery..and I am satisfied with battery performance for my use.

I did buy that DeoxIT pen...in hopes that it will provide a fix....it should arrive on Saturday. I don't feel like sending anything back to HL again for two reasons (1) the hot back end is not that big of a deal...although it is curious and somewhat disconcerting and (2) HL has their hands full with enough real problems...I don't wish to bother them with my nit-picky bull$hit.

I love love love my damn grasshopper....best device ever for my use. I still have my brand new never opened backup SS Hopper....just in case it is needed. Perfect?...well....the back end gets a bit hot....but other than that....the honeymoon is over and I'm still in love. Hits hard and fast. Smell is absolutely minimal compared to any other vape of its type/size. Build quality and design are phenomenal. So easily pocketable. So useful. No...I don't work for the company. I believe that had HL had their proverbial $hit together prior to the initial release of the Grasshopper....it would have put the Pax away for good. GH is lightyears ahead of Pax...if for clean-ability alone! I have not seen and don't predict a directly competing vape for flower which more fits my needs than the GH. I continue to marvel at my Hopper...serious. LONG LIVE THE GH :)

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
They replaced my og back end with a much better-constructed (seamless) one. The og one had split along the seam and popped open, it worked fine until then. At first the new back end heated up, but after futzing with it per the fixes thread (before the deoxit was mentioned), and cleaning the threads with iso, it stays cool. Now it's nice to know that the deoxit gold is something else that I could try if this problem returns.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
If your back end is getting hot, I would imagine that your battery life could also be better.

http://fuckcombustion.com/resources/grasshopper-fixes.11/

Good luck :tup:

Thanks bud. Battery life has seemed typical, but I'm not using it enough to really track properly perhaps... Sounds like you did have the old back end originally, mine is definitely the new seamless one, I guess it probably works, I dono i have more testing to do tonight watching leds like CS said. It's stiff too, like too stiff to turn much at all, but when pushing down it turns smooth as they suggested.

There's a lot to love here for sure, but I am still a bit underwhelmed on the whole given the many other vapes I have owned... Can't wait for gen2 ;):p

I stand by my Pax2 meets Cloud Evo analogy for the Hopper, though personally I still have issues with the (at this point well documented) various shortcomings :2c::peace:

Chose

I had my back end replaced under warranty due to heat. It gets HOT back there...you can feel it heat up like a coil during a 10 second pull. That said...it doesn't literally burn my skin...it isn't that hot. After replacing the back end...it stayed cool for 1 day (or less)....then back to the same old hot back end. I do not notice any adverse impact on battery..and I am satisfied with battery performance for my use.

I did buy that DeoxIT pen...in hopes that it will provide a fix....it should arrive on Saturday. I don't feel like sending anything back to HL again for two reasons (1) the hot back end is not that big of a deal...although it is curious and somewhat disconcerting and (2) HL has their hands full with enough real problems...I don't wish to bother them with my nit-picky bull$hit.

I love love love my damn grasshopper....best device ever for my use. I still have my brand new never opened backup SS Hopper....just in case it is needed. Perfect?...well....the back end gets a bit hot....but other than that....the honeymoon is over and I'm still in love. Hits hard and fast. Smell is absolutely minimal compared to any other vape of its type/size. Build quality and design are phenomenal. So easily pocketable. So useful. No...I don't work for the company. I believe that had HL had their proverbial $hit together prior to the initial release of the Grasshopper....it would have put the Pax away for good. GH is lightyears ahead of Pax...if for clean-ability alone! I have not seen and don't predict a directly competing vape for flower which more fits my needs than the GH. I continue to marvel at my Hopper...serious. LONG LIVE THE GH :)
I feal the same I backed the hopper to replace my mflb
I've had it for six months and I still love it the two year wait was worth it to me it fits my needs perfectly I use it like a pipe . But it's better than a pipe it has very accurate temp controll good flavour and looks so fucking sexy , long live hl
Can't wait for there next experiment I love them scientists

flyfishwino

So what happens to the people who are not on FC, go out and by a Grasshopper or FF2 or a Crafty and they start having all these issues all if you have documented in each of the respective threads? What kind of experience do you think they are having? Are their vapes sitting in draws, fighting for warranty resolution? They bought their's probably on a review somewhere and bought on faith.
I have to say, I just started doing research for a portable for flowers and have been here in the past, and I'll tell you it's scary reading all the issues and trying to make a solid decision. Yes, I realize not everyone has the same experience as someone pointed out to me last week on a similar post and not all the vapes have these issues.
I guess I'm going into with eyes wide open and with some heads up on what can potentially happen and, most importantly, know what do about it.
Those other people do not.
Maybe the critics should be more aggressive on getting out the issues as well.
My 2 cents

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
So what happens to the people who are not on FC, go out and by a Grasshopper or FF2 or a Crafty and they start having all these issues all if you have documented in each of the respective threads? What kind of experience do you think they are having? Are their vapes sitting in draws, fighting for warranty resolution? They bought their's probably on a review somewhere and bought on faith.
I have to say, I just started doing research for a portable for flowers and have been here in the past, and I'll tell you it's scary reading all the issues and trying to make a solid decision. Yes, I realize not everyone has the same experience as someone pointed out to me last week on a similar post and not all the vapes have these issues.
I guess I'm going into with eyes wide open and with some heads up on what can potentially happen and, most importantly, know what do about it.
Those other people do not.
Maybe the critics should be more aggressive on getting out the issues as well.
My 2 cents

I think most people on this thread are aware of the potential issues of the GH (and any other vape by a new manufacturer). What is difficult is to take the posts about needing warranty service, and calculating what any one person's odds are of running into problems now or down the road.

Maybe it depends on if a person is looking for cutting edge form factor, or more interested in reliability. I'm in the second category, but nobody's that impressed when I pull out my Solo. The stealth factor on the GH is pretty incredible, though.

Interesting what you said about vapes sitting in drawers. I have a bunch sitting in drawers. but not because of problems...because of that darned VAS!

flyfishwino

I think most people on this thread are aware of the potential issues of the GH (and any other vape by a new manufacturer). What is difficult is to take the posts about needing warranty service, and calculating what any one person's odds are of running into problems now or down the road.

Maybe it depends on if a person is looking for cutting edge form factor, or more interested in reliability. I'm in the second category, but nobody's that impressed when I pull out my Solo. The stealth factor on the GH is pretty incredible, though.

Interesting what you said about vapes sitting in drawers. I have a bunch sitting in drawers. but not because of problems...because of that darned VAS!
Still what about the ones not here, I guess buyer beware.
Hey, I'm probably going to end up with one of these sooner than later

flyfishwino,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Still what about the ones not here, I guess buyer beware.
Hey, I'm probably going to end up with one of these sooner than later
I think it's the same as buying a car, or a household appliance, or a yard tool, or anything else. Especially in this interwebbed era, it's so easy to do research on whatever you're shopping for. The more research you do, the less chance you'll be surprised and the better the resources you have to deal with surprises. My wife and I still get a kick out of how you can google any question - just type in the sentence the way you would ask another person - and BAM! You are more often than not presented with the exact answer somewhere on the first page of results. Most often, someone has asked that exact question in some forum already and you're on your way to better research.

Hope this is making sense, I'm using one of my old vapes to distract myself from the fact that I'm still waiting for my new vapes (obligatory hopper content). :spliff:

Spinuch

Fixes thread? I am having hot back end issues too, and warranty service told me that if lights and vapor production are fine then the back end is fine too, but it honestly does get pretty scalding during a hit at any temp...

That is not fine. I'm worried about catastrophic failure with these things. We have no idea what kind of stress tests these newly designed batteries have been through. Considering all these faults going around with the actual unit seem to not be getting resolved. It doesn't give me much confidence in the actual safety of anything hopper is putting out. Like a lot of people say I wish they'd come out with a slightly larger 18650 model. Just to take the extra variable of battery safety out of it.

I just want people to know I asked grasshopper if I'll be receiving the extra battery they promised awhile ago. They are saying that no matter how many units I purchase together I'm only getting 1 extra battery. So If you think you'll be receiving 4 when you pre-order 2 units you'll only be getting 3. Just an FYI.

Last edited by a moderator:

barnardbarnard

Hello all it's been a while thought I would provide a quick update.

I am now on my 6th month of ownership with a total of 2 returns to Vapefiend in the UK for warranty repairs.

First issue the unit combusted material after just 1 week of having it - although VF failed to replicate under testing they in the end acknowledged a temp issue of some sort (would not elaborate further) and replaced the front end sent it back and all was well again.

I sent the unit back again last month as it malfunctioned again red lights would not turn blue no matter how long you waited / changed batts etc. VF repaired and sent back with a brand new back end unit now working fine again but I do now notice a clicking sound when it's heating up and it does seem to overheat pretty quick on the highest setting but I think that is within the normal tolerances of the device - taking long successive draws.

I must admit I have fallen out of love a bit with my GH since the last repair I am looking at possibly getting a Firefly 2 (excuse this being mentioned in a GH thread) I wonder if anyone with a GH has the two devices and can they give a verdict on pro's and con's of each I think the cooler vapour is a main advantage of the FF2 I had the old FF1 but did not like it at all.

I am tending to reach for the Mighty more again now over the GH and wonder wither the FF2 would be a good investment.

Any feedback greatly received.

Thanks!

barnardbarnard,

Mr. Me2

Hello all it's been a while thought I would provide a quick update.

I am now on my 6th month of ownership with a total of 2 returns to Vapefiend in the UK for warranty repairs.

First issue the unit combusted material after just 1 week of having it - although VF failed to replicate under testing they in the end acknowledged a temp issue of some sort (would not elaborate further) and replaced the front end sent it back and all was well again.

I sent the unit back again last month as it malfunctioned again red lights would not turn blue no matter how long you waited / changed batts etc. VF repaired and sent back with a brand new back end unit now working fine again but I do now notice a clicking sound when it's heating up and it does seem to overheat pretty quick on the highest setting but I think that is within the normal tolerances of the device - taking long successive draws.

I must admit I have fallen out of love a bit with my GH since the last repair I am looking at possibly getting a Firefly 2 (excuse this being mentioned in a GH thread) I wonder if anyone with a GH has the two devices and can they give a verdict on pro's and con's of each I think the cooler vapour is a main advantage of the FF2 I had the old FF1 but did not like it at all.

I am tending to reach for the Mighty more again now over the GH and wonder wither the FF2 would be a good investment.

Any feedback greatly received.

Thanks!
Good morning and welcome back!

Truth be told, I don't have the ff2. I do have the gh and ff1, and have been reading the ff2 thread from its beginning.

First off, I think you should also post your query in the ff2 thread. I know there are at least a handful of people who have both. And I don't recall anyone saying these 2 vapes are an either/or. Though both convection, they are different.

From my reading (and some of this is obvious):

Ff2 wins in flavor and coolness of vapor
Gh wins in stealth,
Both have replaceable, proprietary batteries,
Ff2 is described as diving a car with a manual transmission and the gh is an automatic (more technique needed with the ff2)
Easy maintenance for both
Ff2 requires stirring and the gh doesn't (this one is huge for me personally),
Both have had some manufacturing issues, but I think the ff has had fewer.
In addressing warranty claims and customers complaints, I think gh wins (this one is probably the most subjective, and I have not had a gh warranty claim. I did have several ff1 warranty claims with excellent customer service, but the posts indicate that at least for now, ff2 cs needs improvement).

And although both have a great and unique aesthetic, for me the gh wins.

Whether you choose to jump on board the ff2 train, I don't think you should give up on the gh. I think the ff2 (or any other option) is in addition to, not in place of it. I LOVE mine, even with its quirks, and my concerns of it breaking down. I just love to use it, hold it, look at it... Okay, I may have a problem...

barnardbarnard

@Mr. Me2 Very glad to hear that your GH finally arrived and great to hear that the wait was well worth it!

Thanks for the feedback I have not read all of the FF2 thread but your points are v useful thanks!

I will hang in with GH for a while longer I think as I was not a fan of the 1st FF VAS may be kicking in again and I need to control the urge and be happy with what I've got. Well for the time being at least!

;)

lovecrush

http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ
The hopper gods decided to give a second chance to my gh's body who had passed away, after 3~4 days of not even touching it I decided to give it a click, and it started to work again as if nothing had happened... my new part is supposed to arrive tomorrow or monday.

I was on a two-days t-break, and these two quick sessions on the grasshopper wrecked me :p

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
The hopper gods decided to give a second chance to my gh's body who had passed away, after 3~4 days of not even touching it I decided to give it a click, and it started to work again as if nothing had happened... my new part is supposed to arrive tomorrow or monday.

I was on a two-days t-break, and these two quick sessions on the grasshopper wrecked me :p
Is it possible that the gh is so damn advanced that it has sensors that recognize when you should take a t-break and shuts down accordingly util your tolerance rebuilds sufficiently?:lol:

kingfisher

That is not fine. I'm worried about catastrophic failure with these things. We have no idea what kind of stress tests these newly designed batteries have been through. Considering all these faults going around with the actual unit seem to not be getting resolved. It doesn't give me much confidence in the actual safety of anything hopper is putting out. Like a lot of people say I wish they'd come out with a slightly larger 18650 model. Just to take the extra variable of battery safety out of it.

I just want people to know I asked grasshopper if I'll be receiving the extra battery they promised awhile ago. They are saying that no matter how many units I purchase together I'm only getting 1 extra battery. So If you think you'll be receiving 4 when you pre-order 2 units you'll only be getting 3. Just an FYI.

Just saying it is my opinion that it is up to the manufacturer to take responsibility. If they do not the business may fail. I guess now each of us has a vested interest in maintaining our lifetime warranty.

As far as a catastrophic failure etc. The charger, battery, and device must meet household appliances standards. Look at the certifications on the device, box, manual, and charger. Meaning the device would have had to meet their standards for electrical and battery safety.

kingfisher,

jabba

Perhaps you need to take a vacation. You know....a life "reset"....where you can re-prioritize. Remember...if you feel unsafe....stop, drop and roll. Oh...sorry...that is in case you are on fire.

This is a $175 luxury purchase....and $175 in the vape arena is relatively inexpensive imo. I personally paid considerably more for my GH off Ebay...and despite some of its inconsistencies....imo was worth every penny.

I'm not quite certain why/how so many posters who are upset with their GH or with Hopper Labs seem to exhibit quite such a degree of entitlement. This is not a surgical instrument...it is a damn pot vaporizer. Let's try to get ahold of ourselves here. You may be worried about a lot of things....but your worry about "catastrophic failure" of your weed vaporizer just sounds like a first world problem to me.

If you are that worried....sell it....and move on to complain about your many other purchases. There are plenty of folks who would love to own your GH. I feel sorry for retailers and companies who have to deal with consumers these days.

Cheers!

AgentXero

Is it possible that the gh is so damn advanced that it has sensors that recognize when you should take a t-break and shuts down accordingly util your tolerance rebuilds sufficiently?:lol:

I have both the Pax 1 and the Solo (although the Solo was always my go to) so I definitely got accustomed to taking many puffs and enjoying the bowl as one long session.

Now that I have the hopper, there's still a part of me that wants to take multiple puffs simply because I just enjoy vaping. But the hopper is a beast, so whenever I vape an entire bowl I get kinda wrecked because of how great the THC extraction is and how potent the hits are. I still have to force myself to only take a couple hits!

Definitely loving my unit, although I still think I have the hot backend issue is it does/can get pretty hot even on a first hit and my battery life isn't good. I can maybe 1.5 bowl packs per battery.

Gramin

WklEHkO.jpg

Hard to beat a 1/3 bowl of kief. I always make sure to sandwich between flower.

Mr. Me2

I have both the Pax 1 and the Solo (although the Solo was always my go to) so I definitely got accustomed to taking many puffs and enjoying the bowl as one long session.

Now that I have the hopper, there's still a part of me that wants to take multiple puffs simply because I just enjoy vaping. But the hopper is a beast, so whenever I vape an entire bowl I get kinda wrecked because of how great the THC extraction is and how potent the hits are. I still have to force myself to only take a couple hits!

Definitely loving my unit, although I still think I have the hot backend issue is it does/can get pretty hot even on a first hit and my battery life isn't good. I can maybe 1.5 bowl packs per battery.
What temp are you using? Lower temps seem to result in cooler backend s.

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: moondog
Top Bottom