Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr Mellish

I usually fill my Nibblers with an eyedropper until they bubble just right. Usually just below the lip of the glass inside.

edit: i fill from the top with the eyedropper.

@slozukimc, by "lip". do you mean the glass disc that separates the two chambers? So the water DOES cover the bubble thingy in the bottom?

@Mr. Me2, I remember the reference because I'm old. Oh, and I have never had patience. I'm a real treat to drive with.

slozukimc

@slozukimc, by "lip". do you mean the glass disc that separates the two chambers? So the water DOES cover the bubble thingy in the bottom?

@Mr. Me2, I remember the reference because I'm old. Oh, and I have never had patience. I'm a real treat to drive with.
No. That would be way too much. There is a piece that is around the dome part. The water will only stay in the bubbler up to the top of that. Any higher and it will leak back into your Hopper. Go just under the top of that ring and see how it goes.

nickb

SSV w/ Standard HC, LSV HC, thermovape all,
I just snet an RMA request for both of my hoppers 1 that litterlaly worked 1 day after RMA returned it last time they have both just been sitting but it appears they are getting caiught up in the RMA department from posts seem to be lasting now so i will again try to continue my love hate relationship with this beautiful beast

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
I just snet an RMA request for both of my hoppers 1 that litterlaly worked 1 day after RMA returned it last time they have both just been sitting but it appears they are getting caiught up in the RMA department from posts seem to be lasting now so i will again try to continue my love hate relationship with this beautiful beast

Sorry for the past service issues. PM your request number and I will see about getting this turned around extra fast because of the past immediate problem.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
TGIF to all. My RMA’d Hopper with 5 new batteries survived my staycation (which continues as I scribe this). The unit continues to work work very well, mainly between 2.5 - 3.0, and I’ve used all the (5) new batts I ordered which I received a few days ago (the beauty of vacation and getting major stuff done around the house). The batteries are unremarkable compared to previous batches and dutifully sufficient and are fairly consistent with each other in terms of number of fills and draws per fill. The new heating assembly is simply doing wonders, plain and simple. It’s indeed great to have some new batteries and, more importantly, a working Hopper that works very well again.

Interesting backend observation: mine was never that freely rotational with the threads and I tried ISO and (finally!) Blu Tac on the threads with some marginal improvement - the last full turn takes some effort. Does anyone else experience this or should the backend be freer on the last full turn?
:peace:

ChooChooCharlie

FC is great, eh?

Who wouldda thunk it, 180 turn in vibe here

A testament to HopperLabs' resilience and dedication

A testament to the generally kind and helpful FC members, and their patience

A testament to our two moderators, ensuring a space for flameless dialog

Don't think we would have seen Hopper commenting here, if not for the mods' hard work

slozukimc

FC is great, eh?

Who wouldda thunk it, 180 turn in vibe here

A testament to HopperLabs' resilience and dedication

A testament to the generally kind and helpful FC members, and their patience

A testament to our two moderators, ensuring a space for flameless dialog

Don't think we would have seen Hopper commenting here, if not for the mods' hard work

This is the only way I could give more likes to this post. . Very true and well said.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I've been using a new SS 'Hopper for a little over a week now and it's performance so far is pretty awesome. I had used one of the first to make it into the wild way back when and wasn't overly impressed (plus the back end of that one getting blazing hot didn't help), the new one is cranking like a champ.

Hope everyone from now on has the same experience i've had. . .

:peace:

Baron23

Interesting backend observation: mine was never that freely rotational with the threads and I tried ISO and (finally!) Blu Tac on the threads with some marginal improvement - the last full turn takes some effort. Does anyone else experience this or should the backend be freer on the last full turn?

Ti or SS?

Ti is, in my opinion, notorious for rough threads. Not just GH, but the material Ti. Not sure what characteristic causes this...I suspect its actually its resistance to any flex at all but can't say with any certainty.

Same with threads on NV Ti pieces, IMO. Its the material.

slozukimc

Ti or SS?

Ti is, in my opinion, notorious for rough threads. Not just GH, but the material Ti. Not sure what characteristic causes this...I suspect its actually its resistance to any flex at all but can't say with any certainty.

Agreed. I like my Ti Hopper but the SS one I had certainly threaded together nicer.

Vaporific

Ti or SS?

Yes, a Ti and a pre-order one too. Any suggestions?

Enjoying a gorgeous fall sunset from my living room and enjoying the Hopper :):peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: slozukimc

mephisto

@RUDE BOY good to see you around!

My used grey Ti always gets charged by the factory cord. This pretty much helps cut down on the
constant threading/unthreading to swap out cells. I can get 4-5 sessions over 4.3 with 10 sec. inhales, on a used battery. Its even better now that I tightened the mouthpiece screen and cleaned the screen as well. Go Hopper!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Mellish

@RUDE BOY good to see you around!

My used grey Ti always gets charged by the factory cord. This pretty much helps cut down on the
constant threading/unthreading to swap out cells.
I can get 4-5 sessions over 4.3 with 10 sec. inhales, on a used battery. Its even better now that I tightened the mouthpiece screen and cleaned the screen as well. Go Hopper!

I never thought about this and have never used the stock charger. Thanks for an interesting point to consider.

After 3 days, the order for my "one day" Ti has finally moved to the "processed" state. It will be interesting to see how long it remains in this state. In the meantime, I’ve blown the cobwebs off my old SS, since my son won’t let go of the Old Ti. It is definitely nice while it’s working. Here’s hoping my expectations for the new version aren’t irrational.

As far as my complaints about the new order, I’m not a medical patient without a vape; I will survive with my gaggle of other vapes. My beef is with their continuing inability to manage expectations. If I order something that says "estimated ship time 1 day," I expect it to ship within a day or two, not a day after 3-5 days of pre and post processing. If it’s likely to take longer because of stock issues or because of other items on the order, tell me at time of order. Failing that, update me within a day or two of accepting the order. I have implemented ERP systems. This is not fucking string theory.

MoltenTiger

Ti or SS?

AFAIK it's the property of thread galling that causes the gritty and friction resistance when assembling the Ti threads. SS also suffers from this, but not to the same extent that a Ti-Ti thread interface has or in the case of the GH the SS-Ti interfaces.

The front threading of the chamber is always SS with the GH, and so using an SS PFE you can appreciate the much smoother SS-SS interface. A new and clean SS PFE can be spun into place securely with little effort, because of the smoother threading and also because of the extra inertia from being heavier. However because of the weight and material properties, dropping an SS PFE will deform it and prevent smooth installation.

Ti oxidises forming an extremely thin and vulnerable layer which can be scraped off. It is this layer that causes the various colours of the GH, it's a cool phenomena and with the advantage of not requiring a dye. However this is what is largely causing the grit build up in the threads as they become more and more worn. I use bluetack to clean this up which makes subsequent threading much smoother, and potentially lowers the current resistance from back-end to body, this is a common and recommended trick with Ti flashlight owners which is where the motivation came from.

I like Titanium, it's strong and the hopper, despite its functional issues, is very durable. Mine has survived multiple and reasonably violent falls which hasn't done anything beyond a small scuffing. SS would dent under the same abuse.

I don't think there is any functional benefit beyond extra strength and the more rapid cool down with Ti hoppers. I'd like to see and handle an SS, I think the back end threading would be so much nicer - just don't drop the body by itself, it'd probably warp and could prevent assembly or battery insertion/removal.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
This is not fucking string theory.
:rofl::rofl:Oh @Mr Mellish you do have a way of making your points! I mean this sincerely. Your posts at some point, typically make me either smile, chuckle or laugh outright.

And he's not wrong, HL. this speaks to the same issue as my question on the likelihood of either the SS case or the HBC meeting their current estimates of Late 2019 & 2019, respectively. If they know, and they should know by November first, whether these targets will be met, they need to update or remove the estimated ship time. People make the purchase based on the information given, and when they pay you, at that point they have an expectation for you to deliver what you promised. Ya can't blame them, it's called a business transaction. No-one held a gun to your head to write that copy, but once you decide to say X, it better be X and if it ain't, well that's when people begin to get pissed. @Hopper Labs agreed with my post but nothing's changed on the store. They also have said HL is a very small group of people wearing more than one hat. So get the core folks together and decide to STOP with the Estimated Ship Date in their store. If it ain't in stock, you can't purchase it but it's Coming Soon! Whoever has the Website hat needs to look over their site and actually change some of these things. ESDs aren't the only offender.

If Hopper Labs is really turning the corner into a bright and shining future, they need to break with some of the old bad habits that become self-created dramas and self-inflicted wounds. When these things happen, it kills a bit of the positive vibe and goodwill with your customer base and your potential customer base. If they happen often enough, online it becomes Death By A Thousand Cuts. Y'all need me to come and give some corporate counselling, lmk! :D

In other news: Holy Moly, the Grasshopper has been battering me about the head in a brutal fashion. I read the lil instruction sheet and remembered y'all saying flickering blue means you need to think about a swap so I watched out for flickering. I guess I might have been a little hyper-vigilant, but I was getting three bowls, idk how many pulls, so at the first sign of flickering, I swapped it out and moved on. I'm on the last battery so I slap the others in the charger and started laughing at my dumb ass. They were ALL in the 47-52% range! :rolleyes: :lol: So I'm going to push them a little bit harder in the future. :haw: I felt plenty dumb, you guys. I think since I love the hopper with glass and don't mind the PFE out of doors, I'm going to put the regular MP in the box. I can't be fussed with switching them out, that's just how lazy I am my friends!

Hopper Nation, it gives me no pleasure to report the following tragedy. Turns out that my hopper package was, in fact, not complete. In fact, some might say one of the most important parts was omitted. There was no Grasshopper sticker! I've looked and I'm just devastated y'all, I'm not going to lie. It's taken time to come to terms with the loss and for a time thought about not saying anything, "it's only a sticker" after all. But in the end, I realised you gotta share to heal and also: dammit, I really wanted that slap! *sniff* That's alright though. I've faced disappointment before. I'll get over it and I will persevere. I'm not going to let this setback keep me down and I'm going to come back stronger than ever.

Goodnight you freaks! :peace: be upon you. And don't forget to hit that hopper!

EDIT: clarity

Vaporific

That's it, sick Wyatt onto them.:tup:
ERP, CRM - it’s the same difference and I’ve worked on them all and then some (and still do). The system is only as good as the nature by which data is collected - still largely by humans. HL doesn’t have many bodies so their date tracking is behind. It’s happened with me before with them. They need to improve in this regard.

Time to wake and bake with my Hopper...:leaf::peace:

EDIT: it can’t be overstated how I again greatly enjoy my Hopper after its return from RMA. It hits well and hard, a joy to use.

Last edited:

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
Two new batteries delivered today. To bad I sold my hopper two months ago. Might get it again but I need to see more than a presence in the thread (actions speak louder than words).
The only reason I got rid of it was because I was worried it would break and I would have to send it in to get repaired one day.

Baron23

AFAIK it's the property of thread galling that causes the gritty and friction resistance when assembling the Ti threads. SS also suffers from this, but not to the same extent that a Ti-Ti thread interface has or in the case of the GH the SS-Ti interfaces.

The front threading of the chamber is always SS with the GH, and so using an SS PFE you can appreciate the much smoother SS-SS interface. A new and clean SS PFE can be spun into place securely with little effort, because of the smoother threading and also because of the extra inertia from being heavier. However because of the weight and material properties, dropping an SS PFE will deform it and prevent smooth installation.

Ti oxidises forming an extremely thin and vulnerable layer which can be scraped off. It is this layer that causes the various colours of the GH, it's a cool phenomena and with the advantage of not requiring a dye. However this is what is largely causing the grit build up in the threads as they become more and more worn. I use bluetack to clean this up which makes subsequent threading much smoother, and potentially lowers the current resistance from back-end to body, this is a common and recommended trick with Ti flashlight owners which is where the motivation came from.

I like Titanium, it's strong and the hopper, despite its functional issues, is very durable. Mine has survived multiple and reasonably violent falls which hasn't done anything beyond a small scuffing. SS would dent under the same abuse.

I don't think there is any functional benefit beyond extra strength and the more rapid cool down with Ti hoppers. I'd like to see and handle an SS, I think the back end threading would be so much nicer - just don't drop the body by itself, it'd probably warp and could prevent assembly or battery insertion/removal.
User error once again.

I noted that my OG Ti MP screwed on smoothly and it was only the SS PFE that seemed to bind up.

Well, idiot me finally took a close look at the threads at the end of the PFE and yes, they had gunk in them.

ISO soak and all is fine again.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
As far as my complaints about the new order, I’m not a medical patient without a vape; I will survive with my gaggle of other vapes. My beef is with their continuing inability to manage expectations. If I order something that says "estimated ship time 1 day," I expect it to ship within a day or two, not a day after 3-5 days of pre and post processing. If it’s likely to take longer because of stock issues or because of other items on the order, tell me at time of order. Failing that, update me within a day or two of accepting the order. I have implemented ERP systems. This is not fucking string theory.

Your expectation is totally reasonable and it should have been shipped in 1 day or less. The ship times over the last 6 months have generally been good (for the in-stock products). We need to do a better job adjusting the ship time as things change. It is just not something we have been on top of in the past. In my experience, there is definitely a paradox with people who work/start small companies where our outlooks are overly optimistic which does help get things done, but often it takes longer and upsets their customers. Obviously this should not be happening when shipping in-stock products. PM me your order number and I would be happy to make it up to you.

:rofl::rofl:Oh @Mr Mellish you do have a way of making your points! I mean this sincerely. Your posts at some point, typically make me either smile, chuckle or laugh outright.

And he's not wrong, HL. this speaks to the same issue as my question on the likelihood of either the SS case or the HBC meeting their current estimates of Late 2019 & 2019, respectively. If they know, and they should know by November first, whether these targets will be met, they need to update or remove the estimated ship time. People make the purchase based on the information given, and when they pay you, at that point they have an expectation for you to deliver what you promised. Ya can't blame them, it's called a business transaction. No-one held a gun to your head to write that copy, but once you decide to say X, it better be X and if it ain't, well that's when people begin to get pissed. @Hopper Labs agreed with my post but nothing's changed on the store. They also have said HL is a very small group of people wearing more than one hat. So get the core folks together and decide to STOP with the Estimated Ship Date in their store. If it ain't in stock, you can't purchase it but it's Coming Soon! Whoever has the Website hat needs to look over their site and actually change some of these things. ESDs aren't the only offender.

If Hopper Labs is really turning the corner into a bright and shining future, they need to break with some of the old bad habits that become self-created dramas and self-inflicted wounds. When these things happen, it kills a bit of the positive vibe and goodwill with your customer base and your potential customer base. If they happen often enough, online it becomes Death By A Thousand Cuts. Y'all need me to come and give some corporate counselling, lmk! :D

We have switched the HBC and SS Case to "Pre-order, Comming Soon". Pre-order can be a double-edged sword as they are often used to jump-start production for a young company without a lot of resources. In our case, it essentially made the Grasshopper possible as we don't have any outside investors but we paid a high price for missing dates (for years) with the original unit and then with the charger and case. We truly hope to never need to offer a pre-order for our products again. The future looks good for that.

The sticker stopped being included in the box a while ago but we plan to bring it back. Pm me and I will mail you some.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
We have switched the HBC and SS Case to "Pre-order, Comming Soon". Pre-order can be a double-edged sword as they are often used to jump-start production for a young company without a lot of resources. In our case, it essentially made the Grasshopper possible as we don't have any outside investors but we paid a high price for missing dates (for years) with the original unit and then with the charger and case. We truly hope to never need to offer a pre-order for our products again. The future looks good for that.

The sticker stopped being included in the box a while ago but we plan to bring it back. Pm me and I will mail you some.

Thanks @Hopper Labs for changing those and I thought it was obvious I was joking about the sticker, even taking my normal behaviour into account. But even that little sticker proves the point of my previous post, I would have never expected a sticker if not for your website:

Every Grasshopper is assembled in USA and carries an industry leading Lifetime Warranty. Each Grasshopper includes: Grasshopper Vaporizer, Charger, Battery, Sticker and Owner's Manual.

So when the decision was made to stop putting a sticker in the box, the person wearing the Website hat should have immediately gone in and removed any reference of "sticker" from each product page.
People WILL EXPECT you to do EXACTLY what YOU SAY you will EVERY TIME. Plus, some of your customers might really like stickers and maybe they might even have a genuine need for one. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom