• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

So is the WPA worth the money? Cost us Aussies $50usd and then my for me probably another $10 finding a 18 to 14 adapter :(

Love hearing people say they'd use it more without glass...
My take on it is that it is worthwhile having one, simply to avoid using the silicone cover.
I have 14mm glass domes that I can use for dry hits, and have spent a bit converting all my rigs to 14f.
I feel like I'll just pick one up, and wait for them to release the Ti version before deciding if 2 is worthwhile.

I think having a lighter Ti version would suite me better than getting 2 SS now.

BTW I have a couple of these reducers, they're great and only 5 bucks atm

jivebuggered

That classifieds hopper is a good bet.
Get a GH for a reasonable price now, and by the time it fails (as @Icon13 mentions, it's likely enough to call that definite at this point), the $45 required to receive warranty will be a worthwhile expenditure (the value will seem justifiable, I think).

I'm pretty bummed that I have to go without both my hoppers, as I'm sending both back for warranty now due to degradation.
I feel like this is mostly due to residue build up within the device, which can't be accessed or cleaned properly..
As an international customer, this is a bit of an issue, but at the same token - I need to tinker with the guts of my EQ, and I just haven't bothered to.
If I could post that away for 20 bucks and get it reconditioned and sent back for free, I would have happily done so by now. So, although the hopper seems to be averaging about 2 services a year (heavy user here too), I can easily factor that in, considering that it's currently my best option for a portable vape.

And finally, I got the go-ahead from Caroline to get 2x batteries, 2x stickers and 2x Porformance Front-Ends sent back with RMAs at no additional postage cost. So although I had to wait a bit for that to happen, during which my other hopper failed, overall this panned out alright. (as I basically get two reconditioned hoppers for the price of the normal shipping I'd have to pay on those items, plus a month or so without my vape which is the real kicker.

I'm very much looking forward to new glass and hands-free hoppering with it!

Nice one, how are you liking having them back?
Are they in the rotation?

Will be interesting to see how their repairs hold up

Hi, do you have crap A/Post service in Tassie too? As noted before I paid $23 to send back with a AP padded jiffy bag with a delivery time around 6 days!! I kept watching the tracking and could not quite work out what was going on so I rang AP.. Suprise, suprise it was still sitting in Aussie for over a week before it even got shipped, so much for the 6 day delivery! AP are so f@#&ed..It looks like a monthly turn around now.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@Omphaloskeptic , nice hearing from you, and that's a nice tip.
I really like the granite in your photo!

@MonkeyTime thanks for the pictures. I tried taking some last night but resolved I might do better in the am. Now you've relieved me from that!
If I can achieve any photo that adds to the discussion I'll put it up here.

@Gramin HL has made reference to a PFE for 18 mm use, so you may have another choice down the road. But to me that sounds like a bulky item.
It seems pretty clear that Grasshoppers need better representation in Australia and Canada. Folks are getting clobbered with shipping costs and time.

jivebuggered

It's a little dirty and just from my phone, but I think it will help.

This is looking into the mouthpiece

bB2EEmP.jpg
bB2EEmP.jpg

This is straight down the mouthpiece
ghID7pB.jpg

This is looking from the heater towards the front
yeZiFuj.jpg

This is cool vapor on the go with ease! :rockon:
hyFfkB4.jpg

lately I've been running short on the goods :leaf:, I've resorted to mixing AVB with some ground up EC tincture that I dried out. It can get a little gummy, but it tastes surprisingly good until I push it to it's limits. GH is running hot (normal?) again, I can tell because i get at least two bowls from a battery and they last past 3.90V. Last time it was like this, I got a week before sending it in. But she sure is fun when working :clap:

This pic is for you @disGRUNTled , some Bluecheese with a glass of Old Pulteney 18yo, I don't have the views you have in FL yet, but I get to hide in the bedroom while the gf's kids and their friends ransack the house

Was wondering what the glass cooling tool is ? Thanks

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This is the open end you draw from:
pAB0q7u.jpg

And this is the end that screws onto the body:
That washer-like thing seems to be fixed in place (though I'm not sure about that), while the screen itself can 'spin' freely if grabbed with the tweezers. I like that the disk acts as a stop for the Body, rather than body contacting the screen itself when screwed on.
P0pLzfc.jpg

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

This is the open end you draw from:
pAB0q7u.jpg

And this is the end that screws onto the body:
That washer-like thing seems to be fixed in place (though I'm not sure about that), while the screen itself can 'spin' freely if grabbed with the tweezers. I like that the disk acts as a stop for the Body, rather than body contacting the screen itself when screwed on.
P0pLzfc.jpg
It seems yours has the scratches too....and it's clean!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It seems yours has the scratches too....and it's clean!
Zero scratches on the outside, and very minimal inside. Actually I looked with magnifier and the "scratches" on inside (of the 'draw' end) appear more like marks from machining process; many both horizontal and vertical. It appears they don't bother to polish them out. And the camera sees them a little better than my eyes anyway...
I cleaned it up this morning for the 'shoot', after taking pics last night and realizing the specs of crapola added confusion.

Hey! @caves
I got an email on March 21 announcing the PFE and there was this at the bottom:
*Backers who purchased a WPA during our indiegogo campaign can expect an email with information on how to receive their PFE.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Then there's this.
What's wrong with this picture?
Three times now in my first 24 hours!
Rookie mistake, but the funnel fits it like a glove, I tell ya...then I go looking to put the mouthpiece on and,
DOH!

LFgvzAU.jpg

Then wife came up with an interesting idea... if we had a screen to put atop this, we'd have a double barrel capability. Gonna need some thought into that...
I showed her that the standard mp can sit atop what's shown here, but then that leaves too much room... or does it?
Anyone see what I'm getting at here? Or rather, stumbling toward?

MoltenTiger

Then there's this.
Rookie mistake, but the funnel fits it like a glove, I tell ya...then I go looking to put the mouthpiece on and,
DOH!

LFgvzAU.jpg

Then wife came up with an interesting idea... if we had a screen to put atop this, we'd have a double barrel capability. Gonna need some thought into that...
I showed her that the standard mp can sit atop what's shown here, but then that leaves too much room... or does it?
yeah doubled barrel hits was what I thought this was going to be about. You could try a basket screen to fit on top, no idea how hot it would all get though. Could be worth a try

MonkeyTime

Then there's this.
DOH!

LFgvzAU.jpg

I like the thought, but I'm guessing there will be a ton of resistance!

ChooChooCharlie

@MonkeyTime - It struck me as funny because of all the posts on FC about who can vape the smallest load. (the reverse of the classic d measuring contest) ;)

Here are some further ramblings, just my uninformed opinions:

Don't think a longer herb chamber would increase draw resistance, but you'd need to stir.

About draw resistance and the new extension -- the "bottleneck" will always be on the input holes side of the hopper.

Using a different diameter draw stem will affect the draw experience, your lip and mouth shape, and you may increase the flow rate with those easier mouth mechanics, like using a wider bubbler mouthiece.

The stock plastic cone heat shield isn't needed now to shield the stock metal conical mouthpiece from that direct hot stream because of the shape change. My guess is the vapor will be warmer with new extension, but the metal touching your lips will be cooler, because less cooling contact with the now cylindrical metal walls. How's that for vaped thinking:mental:?

@vapviking - loved the D'Oh picture. They're always fun. And when is the wife gonna post?

MoltenTiger

@MonkeyTime - It struck me as funny because of all the posts on FC about who can vape the smallest load. (the reverse of the classic d measuring contest) ;)

Here are some further ramblings, just my uninformed opinions:

Don't think a longer herb chamber would increase draw resistance, but you'd need to stir.

About draw resistance and the new extension -- the "bottleneck" will always be on the input holes side of the hopper.

Using a different diameter draw stem will affect the draw experience, your lip and mouth shape, and you may increase the flow rate with those easier mouth mechanics, like using a wider bubbler mouthiece.

The stock plastic cone heat shield isn't needed now to shield the stock metal conical mouthpiece from that direct hot stream because of the shape change. My guess is the vapor will be warmer with new extension, but the metal touching your lips will be cooler, because less cooling contact with the now cylindrical metal walls. How's that for vaped thinking:mental:?

@vapviking - loved the D'Oh picture. They're always fun. And when is the wife gonna post?
Haha, the GH already has a decent sized chamber. Elbow packing my EQ these last few days has been more economical material wise, but less satisfying flavour and effect wise.
I have a feeling packing the other end of the chamber too might boost the flavour yet again.

Also, I'm pretty sure the PFE will definitely allow for more airflow. It's like in aquadynamics, a boat needs to be tapered at the back too (not just the front), or extra resistance negatively impacts the system.
With the much more open end (compared to the OG mouthpiece taper) it allows for one less bottleneck and an easier draw. You can tell the difference in airflow between having the pen front-end on and dragging directly from the open chamber, I imagine the PFE makes it much closer to the experience of the latter.

ChooChooCharlie

Another reason to buy the PFE: Resin goo build up.

Goo grows between the silicone GH condom and the mouthpiece. A mess.

Owning a second hopper is great for native use only when out and about -- no cleanup. But, now the new PFE takes care of that problem, just swap. Besides, the PFE takes away from the pen look when out.

MoltenTiger

Hi, do you have crap A/Post service in Tassie too? As noted before I paid $23 to send back with a AP padded jiffy bag with a delivery time around 6 days!! I kept watching the tracking and could not quite work out what was going on so I rang AP.. Suprise, suprise it was still sitting in Aussie for over a week before it even got shipped, so much for the 6 day delivery! AP are so f@#&ed..It looks like a monthly turn around now.
it's certainly not good down here, having that extra band of water to cross causes a lot of issues all the time. Plus, last time I sent it I asked for tracking but was not issued any...
Definitely not a big fan of AusPOST
I think the US side isn't much better though, so I am expecting a month turn around this time too.
Which will be a long time without a hopper.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Another reason to buy the PFE: Resin goo build up.

Goo grows between the silicone GH condom and the mouthpiece. A mess.

Owning a second hopper is great for native use only when out and about -- no cleanup. But, now the new PFE takes care of that problem, just swap. Besides, the PFE takes away from the pen look when out.
Your vaped thinking is pretty spot-on.

The wider diameter of the PFE does give at least the strong impression of better draw. Feels like sucking on a shotgun barrel rather than a peashooter. What's the fighter jet with the big jet engine mounted right in the tail? That's what comes to mind when I use the PFE now, though granted this is more a visual fantasy than a draw comparison.

We use Hopper with water a lot, inverted. After more than about two or three draws, resin begins to be visible coming from the mp. This has not been the case with the PFE and I'm truly happy and impressed by this. What you are saying @ChooChooCharlie seems a vg assessment about heat in the mp. The PFE is staying cooler on outside for longer time as well. But I think it's warmer on the inside (better insulated due to thickness) and so does not tend to let vapor condense inside. More delivered to the consumer, and less mess!

On Saturday we loaded two Hoppers and went out on errands. Only one PFE, so we shared one Hopper first then swapped the front ends to enjoy the PFE experience (dry).

...and Charlie, wife thinks I spend more than enough time here for both of us, but she really enjoys the pics I show her from the Pets and Animals Thread! And she is a total combustion fucker like me, btw.

Last edited:

almost there

how does one register for warranty for the hopper? I couldn't find anywhere on the hopper site that says anything about registering the device or request for RMA. The link Caroline sent me to do all this stuff just takes me to the grasshopper web page but no warranty options:shrug:
edit-figured it out, I'm such a ninny

Last edited:

jivebuggered

it's certainly not good down here, having that extra band of water to cross causes a lot of issues all the time. Plus, last time I sent it I asked for tracking but was not issued any...
Definitely not a big fan of AusPOST
I think the US side isn't much better though, so I am expecting a month turn around this time too.
Which will be a long time without a hopper.

Posted on the 10th March and as from now it is still on its journey with now USPS. Not bad for a estimated 6 day delivery!!! AP is sooooo stuffed. Im really pissed that HL have changed the way they do warranty now. At least before they would send you the part and then you could send the faulty front end or whatever in your own time with less stress instead of this bullshit.

ChooChooCharlie

@vapviking , you were probably thinking of the A-10 warthog. And, fantastic reading about positive spousal vape interaction. Healthy (and lucky).
Thanks for the kind words about my vaped thinking! Was hoping to contribute to the discussion, even though I will not be buying a PFE. I don't use glass, and the TiChillum bowl does not have the correct shape, and I would fear scratches anyway.

6 month old SS still going strong, as is 2 month old TI. But......it is a hard pull. Diaphragm hurts a bit after a couple 20-30 second draws, but I'm a wuss. I'm guessing the restriction lies within the high tech printed heater. (Restrictive when new)

Top Bottom