Discontinued The Grasshopper

JoeMama

My hopper showed the cop lights for a brief second yesterday, and today I decided to give it a cleaning:

There was some black gunk building up on the upper part

73f2e451ce466ef7950e8635012b96ba.png

Besides the usual cleaning (soaking mouthpiece on iso 90%+, cotton swabs with iso on the chamber etc) I also cleaned with iso the both ends of each one of my batteries, the cotton swabs were grey-ish in the end.

Have you read the Fix Resource thread? http://fuckcombustion.com/resources/grasshopper-fixes.11/

Regarding that picture of the backend contact gunk.... how long had it been since you cleaned that contact? Or, "how many battery changes", whichever is easiest to estimate...

Don't worry, guys, it gave me 2 dissatisfying hits and then went back to squad car lights.

I cleaned my potentiometer and negative battery contact in the clicker part earlier, and now that I'm looking at my positive battery contact (only thing I'm not sure how to clean), it looks like a target. Is that normal?
image.jpg

I don't know how much this has been stated, but it's become known through good inputs here that the backend contact literally moves in tandem with the Temp control dial. This means that it is turning the battery - or at the very least putting torque force on the terminal contacts through the motion of a turning battery.

Personally, I therefore believe that an excessively turned temp dial (rapid turning, etc) should ONLY be done without the battery installed (or disconnecting the backend and doing that "rotational cleaning ritual" separate from the housing. I believe the above picture is the result of excessive churning back and forth of the positive battery terminal against that seemingly delicate gold-plated pad in there.

My 2 Cents

Last edited:

JoeMama

@JoeMama I changed batteries something around 15~20 times before last cleaning the contacts.
OK... IMO I think that is going too long. For me that would equate to about 4 -5 days of use, and I haven't gone more than 2 days to at least wipe (no treatment) all items with a Q-Tip.

Me, I wipe the threads like I'd use a Q-Tip on my ears, just swirl it a few times against the mating threads of the backend. And just wipe off the contacts even if they look fine. Maybe try every two days, and see how it goes.

But most of all, I really feel it's a bad idea to machine-gun that Temp dial back and forth whilst a battery is installed. It's literally chafing that inside contact when one does that.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I don't think there's anything to worry about with the battery contacts. If the rotation of the dial was causing scuffing, it would be in a circular form matching the positive terminal of the battery. I did test the rotation of the temp dial when I first heard about it and it does indeed rotate the upper battery contact located in the back end. Whether that is enough to rotate the battery itself is unproven.

@thekarmawhore posted with what I think was the best hypothesis of what makes the battery contact look like that. Note that the same pattern exists on a brand new flashlight battery contact.

I'd bet a dollar that the grid pattern is simply where very slight high spots created by the fiberglass 'weave' embedded in the pcb substrate are getting rubbed down from use.

Here's a brand new led flashlight bare driver board that already shows the grid pattern. Add a little wear to the plating and it would look just like the GH pcb.
https://img.fasttechcdn.com/111/1114500/1114500-7.jpg

h3i70OJ.jpg

I appreciate any concerns about safety and want people to point out anything that seems like it might be bad. I appreciate everyone's input on this matter. At the same time I think it can be too easy to become a little too paranoid sometimes. Trust me, I'm the worst of anybody when it comes to this.

As far as the battery contact wear and tear it appears to be well within the normal range.

JoeMama

Excellent input on what that contact is made of!

All well, then, Vape... I'd still consider that the large surface area of the back contact versus the very small surface area (i.e., like a point) at the positive battery terminal is going to cause the battery to turn.

Whether the wearing down of the plated weave is ultimately inconsequential is something I don't know, so I'll stick with erring on the side of caution!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Excellent input on what that contact is made of!

All well, then, Vape... I'd still consider that the large surface area of the back contact versus the very small surface area (i.e., like a point) at the positive battery terminal is going to cause the battery to turn.

Whether the wearing down of the plated weave is ultimately inconsequential is something I don't know, so I'll stick with erring on the side of caution!
Nothing wrong with caution brother! :tup: Most of us switched to vaping because it's safer. Once the Grasshopper has a proven track record of reliability I think we will all be able to relax a bit. Hopefully one day the fixes resource is no longer needed and fades into obscurity...

JoeMama

NEW BODY ARRIVED yesterday.

It is a perfect match in both color and fit. I wish I had a macro camera to get a shot of the inside contact, because I'm wondering if it is different. But (and I can't believe I'm saying this), the back end runs completely cool, and the battery life is damn good.

Consistency and Reliability is all this product needs to be a home run for me. Fingers crossed.

@JoeMama
My dial saw very minimal use previous to cleaning it yesterday (set on 3 or 4 for all my purposes), and the back end was removed from the Gh for the duration of the process.

I really hope the contact isn't being worn during every day use. I sure wish I'd shined a light in to see what it looked like day 1 -- d'oh!

Michel

Since the hopper has landed last weekend I enjoy the insane cloud production, the very short heat up time and the unbeaten stealth factor very much. But I have to say it is the worst tasting convection vaporizer I own and even if I can deal with the heat it is the taste which makes me often reach for one of my other vaporizers. I'm usually using the hopper between 2.75 - 5 with a loose, fine grinded bowl. Is this normal or is my unit running to hot?

Jerel56

Since the hopper has landed last weekend I enjoy the insane cloud production, the very short heat up time and the unbeaten stealth factor very much. But I have to say it is the worst tasting convection vaporizer I own and even if I can deal with the heat it is the taste which makes me often reach for one of my other vaporizers. I'm usually using the hopper between 2.75 - 5 with a loose, fine grinded bowl. Is this normal or is my unit running to hot?

I've noticed the same thing... I always use it on temp 3 so I'm thinking the GH may work best at a super low temp like say 2 but I'll have to test it. I do think that the heat factor does mask the taste a bit.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast

Wow, I find the taste to be pretty pleasant myself. I mean definitely not the best, but definitely not the worst. I don't have many vapes to go against, but I certainly wouldn't classify this as the worst. I see that you prefaced it by saying worst tasting convection, so that may be true. The Pax I felt (conduction, I know), was way worse. Everything tasted the same in the Pax.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I find flavor pretty good up to about 4.5 on my temp dial. It's definitely not the best flavor of my convection devices. I find a slight metallic taste to the vapor, it is very subtle but it is there. My log produces a much more pure flavor.

The metallic taste was quite a bit stronger at first, after about 2-4 weeks it faded. When I posted about it here there were only a couple other people who noticed the same flavor. I'm not sure if my hopper was abnormal in this regard or if I'm simply more sensitive to that flavor.

Now that the metallic flavor has greatly diminished I'm happy with the taste my hopper produces. It's not the best, but I consistently get some pretty damn tasty hits at 4 on the temp dial.

The taste at 4.5-5 is not very good, especially after the first hit. It gets a very "roasty" flavor that reminds me of a conduction vape.

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

Wow, this thing is really frustrating!

Because there are far too many saying how much they love this thing, I refuse to give up. So yesterday, I brought it with on the golf course.

I don't know what was different, but for three hits in a row, fairly tasty, real clouds! It was actually a problem because I wasn't expecting them and wasn't in a great place to exhale them, but it was worth it!

Of course I haven't been able to reproduce them, but I at least know it's capable!

Three great hits, slow draw, milking style. Dump the bowl, reload, make sure back end is tight....... back to wispy!

Battery had three hits on it total before the reload, same material from same grinding session, same technique, completely different result.

The only thing I noticed was that there was zero heat in the back end for the good ones. Not the clip, dial or button. I don't normally feel much, and it does increase as the battery life diminishes, but rarely hot. I also haven't heard if anyone else saying their button got hot?

I actually wish it would completely fail. Then I could send it in or exchange parts. I just can't believe that it's functioning as intended the majority of the time. Unfortunately it's not showing any of the distinct signs of failure.

I'll cancel one or both of the preorders tonight and order batteries. There are too many others out there to try for me to fight this thing, and Haze has a convection vape out later this year.

It's encouraging, but still a struggle :bang:

JoeMama

@JoeMama
My dial saw very minimal use previous to cleaning it yesterday (set on 3 or 4 for all my purposes), and the back end was removed from the Gh for the duration of the process.

I really hope the contact isn't being worn during every day use. I sure wish I'd shined a light in to see what it looked like day 1 -- d'oh!
Rag, a good point you made: it's a good idea for users of new hoppers to take note of that contact and watch for changes in its appearance. FWIW, although I have a new Ti body, the "old" one that was just a month old and had about 90 battery changes (not including innumerable futzing) in that time had shown no sign of change in appearance before I sent it in for replacement. The one thing I hardly ever did was twist that Temp dial back and forth while the battery was in it.

Michel

I find flavor pretty good up to about 4.5 on my temp dial. It's definitely not the best flavor of my convection devices. I find a slight metallic taste to the vapor, it is very subtle but it is there. My log produces a much more pure flavor.

The metallic taste was quite a bit stronger at first, after about 2-4 weeks it faded. When I posted about it here there were only a couple other people who noticed the same flavor. I'm not sure if my hopper was abnormal in this regard or if I'm simply more sensitive to that flavor.

Now that the metallic flavor has greatly diminished I'm happy with the taste my hopper produces. It's not the best, but I consistently get some pretty damn tasty hits at 4 on the temp dial.

The taste at 4.5-5 is not very good, especially after the first hit. It gets a very "roasty" flavor that reminds me of a conduction vape.

I had some black flakes or manufacturing remains in the air intake when the hopper was new. I managed to get most of the metallic flakes out with a wooden toothpick and by sucking on the air holes, but it might be some of this mysterious material remained in the hopper causing the strange taste. I can't define the taste exactly, I would describe as bitter. When I smell on the hot device there is some metallic smell I can detect with my nose very clearly from the air intake if this makes sense.

What helps me to get big clouds is a loose pack with a slow draw on temp 4. When the heat builds up to much for my liking I try to take 3-4 more very strong mouth pulls like I would puff on a big cigar. This results in clouds as big (or even bigger) I can't get with Mighty or MV...

Michel

Slow draw might be the problem, I have to draw strong and steady to get the biggest clouds. I freaking love it, about to sell my log even

Yeah I tend to agree. Heavy hits are what does it for me.

Are you using glass or any other way to cool the vapor? And if not, at which temps are you pulling this strong?
I can get great clouds at 4+ with a long slow steady draw when using dry, but if I speed up my draw I always tend to burn either my lips or throat. Big clouds are possible with any draw style I guess, 45w should be more than enough. If I use the Plenty Cooling Coil I can speed up my draw very fast, too. But I have to use my vapes as discret as possible, so glass is not an option to me any more... The CC isn't really discret, neither, so I want to use it dry as much as possible

the grasshopper is my first vape and I have no problems with it I have not owned another vape so can't compare I've been smoking weed and tobacco in joints for 16 years and am now trying to quit tobacco, not smoking.
I cant afford to roll fat pure ones so invested in the grasshopper as it seemed the closest to smoking something in a rizzla that I can use on the go is anyone else using the grasshopper in a similar way?
I'm finding it to work quite well at simulating smoking
I do find the taste strange on higher temps is this normal for vapes?
managed 7 hours today without tobacco just give in now

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Michel, I'll answer your questions when I have a bit more time. About to run out the door.

Quick question: my mouthpiece is not fully screwing on? Is it because the screen is out of place? Do I have to go get the tweezers? Thanks.

newVaper420,

greenextinguisher

Does anyone use the hopper without clicking it properly? Tried it out yesterday by just depressing the clicker a little bit and hold it to get it going... Needed to do it that way, loud on and off clicking wasn't stealthy enough. Can anyone tell if this will do any harm to the hopper?

Thanks guys :)

It's the only way I use it. I've clicked mine on only a handful of times. Most of those were for the hydrotube.

When a DC current runs through those threads, that being an imperfect path for conduction, and depending on humidity, Titanium Oxide is created in those resistive (air-gap) places.

At least I know what it is, now.

That definitely could be some of it. It was brought up before. It happens even without putting any current through it on my Ti unit, though. It also happens in the mouth piece. Nobody knows for certain what is flaking off my unit unless they test it. Solid hypothesis, though.

Update on my mouthpiece metal shaving test. I took great care to be more gentle this week and the amount of stuff coming off was minimal to almost nothing. I'm thinking that my threads are a little busted. They are obviously chewed up at this point. It sounded like another member had a more severe problem with the threading, so I'm thinking it may not be purely a Ti vs SS thing.

My Ti has been out of service at this point for almost three weeks. I think I'm going to try running it hard through my hydrotube as a DD for a bit to see if I can get it to have a meltdown and then I'll send it in for service. :evil:

I actually wish it would completely fail. Then I could send it in or exchange parts. I just can't believe that it's functioning as intended the majority of the time. Unfortunately it's not showing any of the distinct signs of failure.

It's encouraging, but still a struggle :bang:

I feel the same way about my Ti. I don't think it performs as consistently as my SS but I'm also very concerned about the mouthpiece threading. I hope it breaks and can relate to your struggle.

Over that last month, I've mostly used my SS and honed my technique and I really really love the damn thing. Just curious, when/where did you get yours?

Slow draw might be the problem, I have to draw strong and steady to get the biggest clouds. I freaking love it, about to sell my log even

I have the opposite experience when using it natively. If I draw hard I get a lot of pain and virtually no vaporization. If I draw slow I get very big clouds and very little discomfort. With the hydrotube, I go hard and it is great. I just can't imagine doing that directly into my mouth on a regular basis. Are you doing super short hits? What temp? I'd love to hear more about the hard draw technique. There are so many potential variables in what we each consider hard/soft and also with device performance.

To date, I find the device to generally produce virtually flavorless vapor. Sometimes I get a little on the exhale for the first hit or two. It is so different than the flavor from other vapes, it's tough to categorize. If I turn it down, I can get some flavor, but it isn't like I'm getting a a good hit and getting flavor a la Nano, VapCap OG or FF2. I'm actually totally fine with this considering how useful and convenient the Hopper is.

I do get a bitter metallic aftertaste when I pull a little too hard. I generally associated that with overheating my taste buds rather than actually sampling metal, but who knows, if there is some Ti oxidation going on or whatever? It hasn't happened much or has been greatly reduced since getting my technique down.

edit:

Oh, one hypothesis I have about the flavor is the way we generally use this thing natively. For comfort, I "choke up" a bit and this has the vapor missing a good portion of my tongue where other vapes often have the vapor traveling right across it.

Michel, I'll answer your questions when I have a bit more time. About to run out the door.

Quick question: my mouthpiece is not fully screwing on? Is it because the screen is out of place? Do I have to go get the tweezers? Thanks.

That is definitely a possibility. Just be careful and check out your threads. Make sure you don't have a problem like I do with rough/chewed threads. It may be caused by a machining error or something.

Try shaking the front end. Do you hear a rattle at all? That's a good indicator that the front screen is not fully seated.

Last edited:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok thanks everyone. Crisis averted. And glad I didn't ultra screw it up. Was twisting tight but no movement.

Grabbed the tweezers couldn't find the cheaper ones from the resource thread. Mine cost $11.50. Anyhow, quality tweezers for a quality product. The screen was out a bit! I was surprised. Anyhow when I first got it, it wiggled but didn't do it after I screwed on and off for a bit. How likely is the screen the get misplaced? Aka am I gonna need to carry tweezers around LOL.

Everything is right in the world.

Are you using glass or any other way to cool the vapor? And if not, at which temps are you pulling this strong?
I can get great clouds at 4+ with a long slow steady draw when using dry, but if I speed up my draw I always tend to burn either my lips or throat. Big clouds are possible with any draw style I guess, 45w should be more than enough. If I use the Plenty Cooling Coil I can speed up my draw very fast, too. But I have to use my vapes as discret as possible, so glass is not an option to me any more... The CC isn't really discret, neither, so I want to use it dry as much as possible

I am using at it 4 and 5. I put it a bit more in my mouth not on the tip. And if I feel any burning I adjust the angle or the speed. But I definitely get nice clouds. I can pull pretty good with it being comfortable. I don't think I'm pulling as hard as I do with my Hydratube.

Top Bottom