Discontinued The Grasshopper

abcd5432

Me too. It’s like religion: crank tunes - just bought gently used and pristine Snell E5 floor standing towers to replace my Klipsh towers (ex got ‘em years ago as they were originally hers) - grind herb, which I do infrequently but a few strains at a time, store ground flower so it’s easily pourable into the Hopper (and other vapes). Any little shake left over goes on top of a new Hopper fill as I’d rather muck up the screen than have it drop in the heater at the bottom of the chamber. So a bowl before and after grinding to celebrate grinding is always in order.

But I agree - music and flower/cannabis go hand in hand. I listen a lot too with big sound albeit digital. Still trying to resurrect my turntable. My home theater setup is completely separate. I’m so glad my Hopper is working well again. I haven’t used much else since it’s return from RMA - quick, easy, portable, always hits hard and deeper than my other vapes. Gotta love the Hopper! TGIF! :peace:
Throw myself in there too. Love listening to music and bud. Now that I've learned to build speakers starting with my subwoofer, I'm far happier.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Just wanted to talk about hemp fiber for a second because we are talking about dirty screens and some people here like me are more for the dry experience.

I don't like the fact with dry that I might be pulling bud crust/particles into my lungs so I used to have cotton fiber in the end of the mouth piece but that gets clogged too fast but now I replaced that with hemp fiber that let's more vapor through but does a fairly decent job of catching particles

I posted pictures here before of my hopper setup but I got the PFE and on the end I stick a long wooden 510 drip tip, I had to order couple of them to find one that fitted but that's just because there is no vape shop near me

But between the drip tip and the PFE is a perfect space to put some hemp fiber that even makes the hit little cooler also after a couple of days of use you got yourself some home-made sleeping pills :tup: or that is what I call the jar of hemp fiber soaked in reclaim oil :razz:

Just remember to put the fiber in and then blow hard from the opposite end couple of time to make sure there is no lose hemp fiber particles :wave:

Happy new year everyone

abcd5432

Just wanted to talk about hemp fiber for a second because we are talking about dirty screens and some people here like me are more for the dry experience.

I don't like the fact with dry that I might be pulling bud crust/particles into my lungs so I used to have cotton fiber in the end of the mouth piece but that gets clogged too fast but now I replaced that with hemp fiber that let's more vapor through but does a fairly decent job of catching particles

I posted pictures here before of my hopper setup but I got the PFE and on the end I stick a long wooden 510 drip tip, I had to order couple of them to find one that fitted but that's just because there is no vape shop near me

But between the drip tip and the PFE is a perfect space to put some hemp fiber that even makes the hit little cooler also after a couple of days of use you got yourself some home-made sleeping pills :tup: or that is what I call the jar of hemp fiber soaked in reclaim oil :razz:

Just remember to put the fiber in and then blow hard from the opposite end couple of time to make sure there is no lose hemp fiber particles :wave:

Happy new year everyone

What about attaching the mouth piece of a nectar collector? Chinese make cheap ones that are able to be taken apart. You just remove the tip portion, and you have a little water filtration in there and that catches particles?

I hate particles in my mouth and just having dry mouth, so I always use some water to protect my lungs.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
What about attaching the mouth piece of a nectar collector? Chinese make cheap ones that are able to be taken apart. You just remove the tip portion, and you have a little water filtration in there and that catches particles?

I hate particles in my mouth and just having dry mouth, so I always use some water to protect my lungs.

I use my vapes alot out in the woods on fishing trips, but I have a hydrotube I take with me but I often like the taste of dry over water

Baron23

2.9 + fresh batt + medium coarse mendo purps + 2 short draws = one happy Hopper camper! My repaired pre order Ti continues to work SO well! I’m chilling in between a couple of work things and just feeling good.

I finished off a load of another strain last night bumping the temp up and got a couple lighter vapor clouds and the effect was, as usual, fantastic. When this thing works well it simply works well.

My fine point tweezers saved my sanity again and tightened the screen in the frontend - and eliminated the annoying space when screwing the frontend on. Just a pet peeve of mine and I’m glad I bought the tweezers solely for this purpose (and to completely remove the screen for the penultimate ISO bath). Memory is starting to go but I found a screen with only two prongs on it in the tweezers case; maybe it was from my first frontend that went back to HL in ‘16 for replacement. I really don’t remember. Does HL even sell just the screens or can they even be purchased anywhere else? But it’s good to have an extra albeit one prong short.

My older batts are quickly becoming annoying. The remaining new ones still on ice, er kitty litter, may enter the battery rotation soon. Subs!!
:peace:
I too have a set of pointed tweezers that I bought for just that purpose. I don't disassemble my MP, I just drop the whole shebang into ISO for a few hours and then rinse with hot water. Seems to work and I see no degradation.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I too have a set of pointed tweezers that I bought for just that purpose. I don't disassemble my MP, I just drop the whole shebang into ISO for a few hours and then rinse with hot water. Seems to work and I see no degradation.
I do that too - dropping the whole thing in ISO - but occasionally remove the screen for a complete clean. Stuff gets stuck in the space between the screen and frontend. No worries, it goes with the territory of using my Hopper daily and seldom any other vapes at the moment. Even before and after the gym :) :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

I do that too - dropping the whole thing in ISO - but occasionally remove the screen for a complete clean. Stuff gets stuck in the space between the screen and frontend. No worries, it goes with the territory of using my Hopper daily and seldom any other vapes at the moment. Even before and after the gym :) :peace:
When the screen is out, have you ever removed the inner funnel shaped part? Actually, I think there are 2 internal funnel parts, and it is in between those and the mp proper that gunk accumulates. You won't know about it until you've seen it.
It was enough to chill me on standard mp for a long time and go with PFE all the time.
Now I do happen to like standard again, so I try not to think about it!

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
When the screen is out, have you ever removed the inner funnel shaped part? Actually, I think there are 2 internal funnel parts, and it is in between those and the mp proper that gunk accumulates. You won't know about it until you've seen it.
It was enough to chill me on standard mp for a long time and go with PFE all the time.

I keep my standard mouthpiece clean and unused so it's always ready to ship with the hopper back to repairland

Baron23

I have not taken it apart but I believe that @Vaporific said above that he does just that.

I have found over quite some time, that whatever is in there seems to me to dissolve in ISO and hot water rinse. It comes out clean flowing as if new.

I'll take on apart for the hell of it one day, but no...I have found it necessary.

Vaporific

I keep my standard mouthpiece clean and unused so it's always ready to ship with the hopper back to repairland
I hope that isn’t any time soon for you.

When the screen is out, have you ever removed the inner funnel shaped part? Actually, I think there are 2 internal funnel parts, and it is in between those and the mp proper that gunk accumulates.
I know of this and I think I have removed them once or twice but I don’t recall. I recently just soaked the entire frontend but will definitely remove the funnel parts next time. Another use for the fine point tweezers :)

I don’t own a FPE and have never used one. I do see the benefits for some but I got used to the native frontend and seldom use a silicone tip. Before my RMA the frontend (and backend, lol) got hot alternately; heater was inconsistent causing heat buildup in the frontend, and when batteries were running low the backend would get hot trying to keep up with the temp which was between 3.5-4.2 on average. Performance degraded over months to the point of ghost pulls, little vapor and light AVB.

What a difference the RMA made! My Hopper continues to work amazingly 3+ since it’s returm and mostly the only vape I’m using (not that I have many). My pre-order Ti is 3.5 years old and working like new again. After not having it for a year it’s like getting a new vape again.

And back to and concluding with the native frontend, admittedly I’ve dropped my Hopper a few times. Who hasn’t? One of the drops was on a hard floor and straight down frontend first. I have a small dimple in the frontend opening giving my Hopper a bit of unintended character. :peace:

Baron23

I hope that isn’t any time soon for you.

I know of this and I think I have removed them once or twice but I don’t recall. I recently just soaked the entire frontend but will definitely remove the funnel parts next time. Another use for the fine point tweezers :)

I don’t own a FPE and have never used one. I do see the benefits for some but I got used to the native frontend and seldom use a silicone tip. Before my RMA the frontend (and backend, lol) got hot alternately; heater was inconsistent causing heat buildup in the frontend, and when batteries were running low the backend would get hot trying to keep up with the temp which was between 3.5-4.2 on average. Performance degraded over months to the point of ghost pulls, little vapor and light AVB.

What a difference the RMA made! My Hopper continues to work amazingly 3+ since it’s returm and mostly the only vape I’m using (not that I have many). My pre-order Ti is 3.5 years old and working like new again. After not having it for a year it’s like getting a new vape again.

And back to and concluding with the native frontend, admittedly I’ve dropped my Hopper a few times. Who hasn’t? One of the drops was on a hard floor and straight down frontend first. I have a small dimple in the frontend opening giving my Hopper a bit of unintended character. :peace:
I ahve a PFE but either the PFE or my cheap Chinese glass rig and J-hook are just a small bit off and leak just a tiny bit of air.

I almost always use a J-hook with my GH and I find the best seal is the OG MP with silicone condom. Works for me.

Cheers

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I took my standard mouthpiece apart after a couple of years worth of use when the screen finally came loose and the inside was just fine. I had recently cleaned it and I was still expecting a bunch of hidden gunk so I was surprised when I saw how clean it was.

One of my favorite things about the Grasshopper is how little cleaning it requires. I try and brush out the frontend screen every few chambers. I soak the frontend in iso every month or so. The chamber itself receives a deep cleaning once or twice a year. This is the least cleaning required of any vaporizer I’ve owned.

I prefer the standard front end and I use it completely native the majority of the time. One thing about the performance front end is that the screen seems to get clogged much quicker than with the standard front end. I have to clean it with iso every couple of days when I use it a lot. Does anyone else notice the same thing?

MoltenTiger

I took my standard mouthpiece apart after a couple of years worth of use when the screen finally came loose and the inside was just fine. I had recently cleaned it and I was still expecting a bunch of hidden gunk so I was surprised when I saw how clean it was.

One of my favorite things about the Grasshopper is how little cleaning it requires. I try and brush out the frontend screen every few chambers. I soak the frontend in iso every month or so. The chamber itself receives a deep cleaning once or twice a year. This is the least cleaning required of any vaporizer I’ve owned.

I prefer the standard front end and I use it completely native the majority of the time. One thing about the performance front end is that the screen seems to get clogged much quicker than with the standard front end. I have to clean it with iso every couple of days when I use it a lot. Does anyone else notice the same thing?
If you clean/soak the standard front end often you would probably avoid the build up. I clean infrequently and so I would expect to find some residue in my front ends after a quick rinse to clean up the screen, but I don't use them often so it wouldn't be bad. I find the PFE easier to clean after letting it build up for sometime.

I blow through the PFE from the mouthpiece side every time I remove it, as I often see bits sticking to it. Doing this, I find I only wash them once or twice a month, with daily use.

I agree, it's a super easy vape to keep clean, that's the benefit of having a direct chamber-mouthpiece. After switching from the EQ, I changed from having to clean the glass adapters and replace whips to simply having to clean the bong paired with the vape with the hopper

ChooChooCharlie

Saw Hopperlabs just posted their opinion on cooling vapor, over in the hopper io thread. I beg to differ. I enjoy a 20-30 draw, and am willing to sacrifice some goodies

Time to clean my balls

schweddy.jpg

TiChillum by 420EDC. With 6mm quartz beads. Good rainstick until they resin stick together. Twist apart, dump everything in baggie with iso, warm up resting in container of very hot water, then shake. Gotta flush that hopper mouthpiece really well, or else you taste hint of iso, yuck

No added draw restriction, nice additional cooling

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Any problems in jan 2020 with this unit? ( grasshopper) are they still a pain to deal with, having any issues?
wow.
long story.
Don't plan on buying a Grasshopper from HL in the next few months...or a battery!
There was a fire a couple of months ago, in HL assembly plant and sales of hoppers are suspended while they re-group.
They're rolling out an updated/upgraded model, scheduled (and we use that term very loosely over here) for April. See new thread for the Hopper io.

HL has had a presence here for the past few months and having a dialog has improved 'customer relations' and general hopper family moral greatly.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@Hopper Labs, I already asked this a few weeks ago but with no reply. What's the current state of RMA? I can't find any info on your site anymore. MY SS died in Feb. and I wanted to send it back for repair overseas not until the reliability of (repaired) hoppers is much better (SEEMS to be the case now?) and time of repair is much shorter than 12-18 months. I want my beloved hopper proper working again so bad! What's your REALISTIC timetable? Wish you the very best to keep your business running again.

kalel

wow.
long story.
Don't plan on buying a Grasshopper from HL in the next few months...or a battery!
There was a fire a couple of months ago, in HL assembly plant and sales of hoppers are suspended while they re-group.
They're rolling out an updated/upgraded model, scheduled (and we use that term very loosely over here) for April. See new thread for the Hopper io.

HL has had a presence here for the past few months and having a dialog has improved 'customer relations' and general hopper family moral greatly.
Thanks for the heads up will avoid for now this product

Vaporific

not until the reliability of (repaired) hoppers is much better (SEEMS to be the case now?)
YES - my pre order Ti has been runnning fantastic for 3.5 months now since it’s return from RMA. Something about them taking over the heating assembly or internals, which they stated, seems to have done the trick and turned the tide - assuming for new units as well as RMAs. I sent mine in for repair in September ‘18 and got it back a year later. Waits are (much?) shorter from what I understood recently - until the fire.

Sorry you still have an issue and hope it’s remediated soon. I’m elated my Hopper is working like new again :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Matt and I did all of the development of this new device over the last few years. Some of these improvements even made it into finial generation Grasshoppers ;) with no one knowing.
That ^ was dec 1, 2019.
I think that a warranty piece I received back in mid Sept. '19 has some of the improvements (it's a plain Ti). I thought it wasn't working upon return, but it just needed fresh battery. Other hoppers worked with the old batts I had on hand, but not this one, it needed a 'fresh' one.
With fresh battery in place, it heats up from ambient temp. in about 3 to 4 seconds. Subsequent draws are ready in 2 seconds.
My setting is now at about 2 to 2-1/2 with this hopper, while my others' equivalent to this is more like 3-1/2 to 4.
I haven't swapped the battery out in weeks now, just use the charge cable and I get less of the blue flickering than it used to do.
It does 3 loads on a charge easily; haven't tried to push it past that.

Approaching four months now of steady use, and though it is in a rotation it gets multiple uses/day. So far, nice open draw is remaining; I don't like how hoppers' draw seems to get worse as the hopper gets older & I hope some of this issue is getting worked out --- in mine! Time will tell on that one.

Tiny88

Deluxe420
@Hopper Labs

Anyone having problems logging into their account on the Hopper Labs website? Tried to log in today to check the status of my RMA, and is showing a "technical error" when I enter my password.

Tiny88,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
Couldn't resist when a Hopper showed up in classified.

first the cons:
- it gets damn fucking hot, too hot! hail any electronics that will survive such temperatures over longer periods and any cells that won't explode in my face
- not suitable for hash
- all the other Grasshopper cons :(

pros:
Unbelievable, but this thing overall is the fucking "BEST" vape I ever owned. Fallen in love immediately. The style is hilarious, simply like a big pen, very massive, could crush a scull with. It heats in seconds, using a j-hook, it delivers nearly perfect vape, speaking about taste, temperature, sharpness and so on. Surprisingly, as hot as the Hopper gets itself, the vape comes out very soft, even without some glass. But you'll burn your lips on the Hopper itself...
Could get out 3 full extractions out of one (not new) cell, not bad for this small cells.

Top Bottom