The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh4dy15

First time using this thing as we speak and ho-ly shit! I am incredibly impressed with how good it is. I think this thread helped keep my expectations in check but I am blown away by taste and cloud production. I cant speak for all vapes but coming from Solo...the clouds are identical if not better and the taste is amazing.

Anyone on the fence, dive in.

Also, tapping it on my hand to stir worked great for me. Had no issues.

Love this little bug.

Edit: The vapor is cold as hell too. Not exaggerating either, it's actually cool not even slightly warm.

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
I know everyone is saying it's 'made' for concentrates. I'm picking up some dab in the morning - concentrates are hard to come by round here. Based on what I'm hearing here...sounds like I'm in for a pretty good (high) weekend..

Sh4dy15

Damn, this thing took me to the moon last night.

Little more in depth follow up....loaded it up with some Sour Diesel (no idea the THC level as I'm in an illegal state) ground up in Chromium Crusher. Was stored in Space Case ground up for a few days to dry it out a little. Packed to black brim line and tamped down a little bit. Was pretty packed but not jammed down.

Set Firefly to Medium High setting. Heats up in about 5 secs. First hit, slow inhale until light goes out. Exhale a huge cloud followed by some coughing. Totally took it too lightly as I didn't expect a hit like this based on what I read. Immediately blown away.

2 more hits, equally as large clouds. As you are inhaling you can actually feel the cold vapor in you mouth. It's pretty incredible.

Stirred it up by tapping on my hand. Took 3 more hits...vapor tampering off a bit but still producing visible vapor. Opened it up and actually stirred it even though I think the hand tapping was working. Took 2 more hits on Medium High with some light vapor on exhale. Still tastes amazing at this point.

Stir one more time followed by 3 hits on high heat setting. Little dense on first hit than vapor turned whispy. ABV looked perfect and I was fully medicated.

All in all I am thoroughly impressed.

To add on what ithers are saying, long slow draws is the way to go for sure.

Only negative I can even think of is the buttons get warm? If that's even a negative? And having to open to stir I guess is a slight inconvenience but I'm not even sure if it was necessary.

Will be testing again tonight for sure.

Morimoto

Ok... I got my FF2 last week and have spent some time with it and love it. Let me tell you my whole long story and if you don't want to read me rambling, you can skip to the end. Chatty Cathy is here-that FF2 hit that I just took must be working!

I bought the original Firefly 3 weeks before they announced the FF2. What?! I seriously KNEW that was going to happen when I ordered it. I couldn't wait though. I had just gotten my medical license and I wanted to finally get a vaporizer that I was going to like. I had tried the Vapor Brothers box and a few other old school portables before the tech got so good. I never loved any of them. I am not a good smoker. I have weak lungs and smoke bothers me so I haven't ever really used marijuana as a daily thing and I never got very medicated when I did because I barely inhaled. SO! When I decided to spend some money and get a portable vaporizer, I automatically thought the Pax 2 was the best so I almost didn't even look at anything else. My friend asked me if I knew about the Firefly and I didn't so I checked it out. After finding out that the FF excelled in taste, I knew that's what I wanted. That's why I never really liked any of the other vaporizers that I tried. They all tasted like burnt toast. When my Firefly arrived, I knew we were going to be friends forever. The taste was great and it was perfect for me to use at home to medicate. 3 weeks later, they announced the Firefly 2! I knew that I had to get it. If it was everything that the Firefly was and better, it was certainly going to be perfect for me.

The things that I was excited about while waiting for the FF2 to arrive was the lack of a screen needed on the bottom of the bowl. The OGFF had that screen and no matter how much I fussed and tried to keep it clean, it always looked like there was bud under the edges. Now that I have it, I am every bit as happy about it as I thought I would be. The glass bowl is so slick and smooth and the bottom metal piece also feels nice. It meets right at the edge so there isn't much room there for anything to get caught. I keep a brush with me and clean it out after every bowl. If you don't like to be as meticulous as that, I don't think it would be too hard to wipe it out once a day or every couple of days depending on how much you use it and that would be fine.

Another improvement that I was excited about was that there were no more grooves in the lid for the vapor path. Those grooves made it so that you could get plant matter in your mouth while inhaling if you did it too hard. Nobody likes that. So fine-you learned how to inhale so you don't get plant in your mouth so it's no big deal, right? Oh but then you would have to tell everyone a big long schpiel about how to inhale. So this new lid design has no grooves. There is also a screen in the mouthpiece that catches any plant that makes it down there. I love not worrying about getting any plant in my mouth. I think that was the biggest thing that I didn't like about OGFF.

No more grooves also means, easier to clean! It really is as easy as wiping down the top lid, the body and wiping out the bowl-all with alcohol.I use the brush to clean the bowl between sessions and I also brush down the body and lid so I haven't had to take alcohol to it yet and I've been using it for a week. I use a 6" flux brush so it is easy on the hand. That smaller brush is great for portability but do yourself a favor and get a flux brush. They are great. Those little toothpicks they gave us will be able to deep clean the bowl when you need it. It is easy to clean out the little vapor hole and mouthpiece area if you have a little toothpick or just use that little brush from both the top of the vape and from the mouthpiece area. Overall, I think this vape is super easy to clean.

Battery life was also a big thing that Firefly Vapor said that they improved so I was excited about that. The OGFF was terrible with battery life. You could not take that thing out of the house in my opinion. If you were going to be somewhere with electricity and you wanted to bring your charger, that was doable but it was not made for going out on the town or a party. The OGFF was also very heavy, which again, made it not very portable. The FF2 was advertised to be much lighter with better battery life AND an extra battery included. They definitely listened to the main complaints about the OGFF when they were designing the FF2! They really did address everything. They also redesigned the battery slightly so that it has a little tab it get it out with! If you had the OGFF, you will know how annoying it was to get that battery out. The tab on the new batteries make it easy! It's a little thing but it makes a difference. So- battery life... YES! I could only get like 10-15 pulls MAX off the OGFF battery. The FF2 battery lasted me so long that I can't even say how long. Several hours of on and off use. So with the extra battery they included, you can get a good amount of usage from the FF2 before you run out of battery. As far as recharging on the go, the FF2 is able to be recharged with a usb cable and the charger base. I went camping this weekend and was able to connect the charger base to an external battery pack and charge it easily on the table as we hung around the campfire. The OGFF would've had to be charged off my car battery if I even had the car charger that cost an extra $30. The ability to connect to a battery pack allowed me to sit there with it near me and keep it charging on the base. This factor combined with the improved battery life make this a much more portable vaporizer. The battery life of the two batteries together is still not as good as the battery life that I get from a Pax 2 charge, but it is much improved and makes battery life not much of an issue at all. The only reason that I consider it a slight issue is because you do have to 'think' about battery life and with the Pax 2, you just don't.

Well because I brought the Pax 2 into this, I may as well make my comments. There really is no comparison between the two. They are two different vapes that excel in different ways. I am very glad that I have them both. Oh yea! Did I forget to mention? I ended up buying a Pax2 to hold me over in the preorder period. I had to sell my original FF to fund the FF2 and was without a vape for just a few days before I broke down and ordered the Pax 2. The Pax 2 is great for taking out on the town or to parties. It is easy to load and I don't mix it or fuss with it at all once it is packed. It is easy to hit. I just have to tell people where the mouthpiece is and they can hit it. I can use the plant matter until it is fully vaped without having problems getting a hit or noticing any bad taste. I don't have to worry about the battery at all. I have never had it die on me. I charge it at night and then go all day. I think the Firefly is perfect to use in a relaxed environment. It is a classy experience using a FF2. It is nice to sit down and take some puffs and enjoy the flavor. The flavor from both the OGFF and the FF2 are unbeatable. I would describe the flavor from the Pax 2 like this. "Yea.. it takes good, ok, fine, not bad, not toasty, yea it's good." When talking about the flavor from FF, I get excited! My eyes light up and I take a deep breath just thinking about it. I would probably say something like "Oh. My. God. You are going to love it so much ohmygoditssogood!!" So there's a little difference there. ;) To me, that's the biggest difference. I want my herb to taste good. I want to inhale something delicious.

To prep the herb, I grind it in a 4 piece Santa Cruz Shredder. This was what people recommended with the OGFF and it works the same with the FF2. I read the instruction and they suggest a course grind or even just breaking apart the bud but I think it needs to be a medium grind. You can experiment with what works best for you. I fill it just up to the top of the bowl and then tamp it down lightly. You don't want it packed so tight that you can't get a pull, but it also can't be so loose that it flies around. I notice that after 3-4 pulls, I like to open the lid, give it a little stir and lightly tamp. THEN, because of a suggestion from someone at Firefly, I put the concentrate pad on top of the bud. As the bud dries out and becomes more vaped, it gets harder to get a nice hit from it. The concentrate pad holds it down and acts kind of like the Pax pusher does. I'm not sure if anyone talked about this is earlier messages, but let me know if you try it. You don't have to do this but in order to get good hits toward the back end of the bowl, you have to open the lid up and tamp the bowl frequently. The concentrate pad makes it so you don't have to do that. I think it works great.

I haven't tried using the concentrate pad yet but I talked to someone from Firefly about a couple of things and she told me that a very tiny amount of wax goes a long way. She also said that when the bowl gets sticky, you can clean it with a little white vinegar on a q-tip. I will probably give this a shot later today.

So... you made it through my words or skipped to the end. Congratulations!
TLDR; I love the Firefly 2. Buy it if you want the best tasting vapor that you can get from a portable vape. I'm so happy that it's finally here!

@shamanstar or should I call you Chatty Cathy? That was an EXCELLENT review of the FF2, I really enjoyed reading your experiences thus far! I too get very chatty when I hit my FireFly2 and I also find that the FF2 taste is second to none, I am skipping over the Lotus now and reaching for my FF2 every time, I am also taking it on mountain bike rides now too, once I figured out the draw/pack/stir, I was able to be confident in the outdoors while sweating buckets and out of breath from riding. It's so satisfying to hit the FF2 then ride!!

studmuffin

Thoughts & intimations, thus far,

The batteries perform really well. I am now taking 3 or 4 tokes on the Medium heat profile, stirring, and then bumping up to High for achievement of PFT status.

Speaking of batteries, trying to determine the degree of charge remaining is like trying to teach a duck how to dance. "She's a wonkey-donkey, yessirree".

During my 4,000 bowls out of my original Firefly, I never stirred. The lid design for the two generations is similar, but also quite different. I started talking about laminar flow dynamics, but soon realized that this is not the right audience, so I leaned on the delete button until it was expunged. Stirring, or rearrangement, of the herb, is necessary in my gold Firefly (it's so-o-o-o purdy !) because the heated air flows exclusively toward the mouthpiece, bypassing the top 1/3 or so of the bowl.

I have yet to clean my Firefly with ISO. Immediately post-session, I remove the lid, blow the loose stuff off, and slowly draw my thumb down the inside of the lid from top to bottom, wiping it down quite nicely. I dump the bowl, blow into the bowl a few times, and gently swab it out with the tip of my finger.

I use my silver Firefly as my DD at home, and my Firefly2 when out and about. Before I leave home, I smush a tiny blob of wax onto the pad. Using the techniques aforementioned in my concentrate pad reports, PFT is just a few sips away. Mmmmmm, good.

For the dedicated stirring folks out there, remember that the more times you remove and replace the lid, the more opportunities for detritus to escape the confines of the bowl and prevent a complete gasket seal of the lid to the body. The vapor pathway tolerance is small, so even a tiny bit of ABV could compromise the seal, resulting in poor or no performance. Poop. I suspect that a lot of the performance issues mentioned here may be attributed to "stirring malfunction".

Well, I gotta go. I just vaped a bowl of Panama Red, and it's time for me to go outside and stare at the flowers.

Peace-n-Love.

:myday:

Sh4dy15

The vapor pathway tolerance is small, so even a tiny bit of ABV could compromise the seal, resulting in poor or no performance. Poop. I suspect that a lot of the performance issues mentioned here may be attributed to "stirring malfunction".

This seems extremely important and may be causing some of the issues we've been hearing about some people having. In looking at the lid system and how the vapor path works (this is my first Firefly) I can see that being a major issue if you let pieces of herb sit along that outside portion and it will not work the way it's supposed to. I also suspect you might hear the airflow sound slightly "off".

I was happy to see the lid has a slight lip on it so you can kind of lock it in place and doesn't just sit flat on top. The foam or rubber inside the lid has to be flush though or i would imagine there will be issues.

Was the og firefly similar? Was this inside seal part wearing out an issue? I'm assuming no since I haven't heard anyone complain about that so I'm not worried.

colomarijuana

The lid of the first firefly rarely had issues with debris or airflow. Those magnets were so strong in the last lid, it was hard to remove at times, but gave a great seal.

I recall in an early video for FF2 them talking about weakened magnets that make the lid easier to remove than the original. Kinda would prefer that super seal again I had on the OG.

That's been the big learning curve for me is keeping the top clean. OG wasn't quite so sensitive, but OG FF doesn't produce this flavor or quality of vapor.

colomarijuana,
Reactions: Sh4dy15

colomarijuana

@colomarijuana did you end up keeping it man?

I was dead set on retuning man, but Firefly customer service was top notch in helping me troubleshoot and verify the issue. They sent me a new lid and I was back in action. Rubber seal on my previous lid just wasn't put on perfectly and caused inconsistent airflow.

The seal on this new lid they sent is 10x better than what came with my device. If you are have any issues at all, highly recommend calling FF.

Sh4dy15

I was dead set on retuning man, but Firefly customer service was top notch in helping me troubleshoot and verify the issue. They sent me a new lid and I was back in action. Rubber seal on my previous lid just wasn't put on perfectly and caused inconsistent airflow.

The seal on this new lid they sent is 10x better than what came with my device. If you are have any issues at all, highly recommend calling FF.

Awesome!! To be honest, this is one of the major reasons I decided to cancel GH order and stick to an established reliable company. I do think hopper labs will get there but they're not yet.

Glad to hear they were so helpful. No issues yet but great to know and glad your back in business!

colomarijuana

Awesome!! To be honest, this is one of the major reasons I decided to cancel GH order and stick to an established reliable company. I do think hopper labs will get there but they're not yet.

Glad to hear they were so helpful. No issues yet but great to know and glad your back in business!

For sure, their troubleshooting steps were on point. Their commitment to those that pre-ordered is pretty amazing. Like they said on the phone, they're "all in" on Firefly 2 for their business going forward and they'll do whatever it takes to keep us happy.

Sounds like they're even working on some heating profile tweaks for those who sip and those who rip. No details of course, but they're very much committed to giving us connoisseurs more options. Agile development in action my friends.

Last edited:

shamanstar

After reading these last posts, I remembered that that first day I got my FF2, I had some strange red light behavior. It would just randomly start going off when I touched the button. It was happening even before the first bowl was loaded. If I activated the green light heating cycle even for a second while touching the vape, the red lights would flash a few times. I couldn't figure out how to actually make the red lights flash so that's why it was so confusing to me. I guess it stopped doing it and I went outside to try it out and it was very bright so I wasn't seeing the red light. It was hard to see the green light in the sun. When I got back inside, I looked up the light indicator info and it didn't make sense to me but I guess I forgot about it or started ignoring it. I don't think it really happened much for the rest of the week. I just read some posts and of course that made me want to use my FF... yea-it was 9:30am. So? ;) Of course after reading about your red lights made my red lights come back. So basically... I'm pretty sure the red lights are some sort of spirit guides. It seems to be the only logical conclusion.

snamuh

ghost
After reading these last posts, I remembered that that first day I got my FF2, I had some strange red light behavior. It would just randomly start going off when I touched the button. It was happening even before the first bowl was loaded. If I activated the green light heating cycle even for a second while touching the vape, the red lights would flash a few times. I couldn't figure out how to actually make the red lights flash so that's why it was so confusing to me. I guess it stopped doing it and I went outside to try it out and it was very bright so I wasn't seeing the red light. It was hard to see the green light in the sun. When I got back inside, I looked up the light indicator info and it didn't make sense to me but I guess I forgot about it or started ignoring it. I don't think it really happened much for the rest of the week. I just read some posts and of course that made me want to use my FF... yea-it was 9:30am. So? ;) Of course after reading about your red lights made my red lights come back. So basically... I'm pretty sure the red lights are some sort of spirit guides. It seems to be the only logical conclusion.
That's the heat setting... If you tap the left button it blinks red to chow what heat setting are at.

snamuh,

11eleven11

Just bit the bullet and pre-ordered ----- GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

As of ordering 5 mins ago they are still promising a May shipment.

"Thank you for your order from The Firefly - we are so excited to share Firefly2 with you! Your pre-order is being processed and will ship in May 2016. "

dLNb3Qc.gif

I'm really excited about this one as it looks extremely promising. Swappable batteries, amazing taste, amazing efficiency. Worst part about it is shelling out $330 but if it lasts me a couple years and beyond then I'll be happy.

PeteSeattle

Did the same thing but a couple of weeks back.

I too was lamenting the price but what the heck. It's the same amount of money that one would buy material In a month (at least for me) to consume.

You're not alone in line. Some of us are here too compulsively checking our email!

studmuffin

Further musings,

My gold Firefly (it's so-o-o-o purdy !) really excels when vaping concentrates. However, as I mentioned previously, after "ripping a pad", the inside of the lid is a glazed, sticky mess. No big deal to clean with ISO, but I can't imagine doing a "field" cleaning, if you want to switch to flower. Go from flower to concentrate ? No problemma. Go from concentrate to flower ? "Now you got some splainin to do, son".

By pre-heating your Firefly2 in your pocket, you minimize the heat-up time by several seconds, and seconds count, my friends.

Comparing Firefly 1 to Firefly 2: Think of Firefly 1 as a Corvette Stingray. Think of Firefly 2 as a 2016 Mazda Miata. With a Cosworth supercharger bolted under the hood. For the ladies:
Think of Firefly 1 as a Hitachi 'Magic Wand'. Think of Firefly 2 as a 'Pocket Rocket'. With a Lithium-Ion battery. WooHoo ! !

I was planning to do a comprehensive report on the impact of different selected heating profiles on battery duration, but fuck it.

:myday:

jay87

I've seen every review, read every thread, saw every picture, and watched every video time and time again.

I swear if I don't get a shipping email by May 16th, which is definitely after early May, and undeniably past mid May, I'm gonna riot!!! :rant:

11eleven11

I've seen every review, read every thread, saw every picture, and watched every video time and time again.

I swear if I don't get a shipping email by May 16th, which is definitely after early May, and undeniably past mid May, I'm gonna riot!!! :rant:

Hehe I like to disappear and not think about any of it. I may do that til it arrives. I love FC but focusing on it definitely makes my patience worse! :ninja:

11eleven11,

The Natty Leprechaun

I'm really excited about this one as it looks extremely promising. Swappable batteries, amazing taste, amazing efficiency. Worst part about it is shelling out $330 but if it lasts me a couple years and beyond then I'll be happy.[
I thinking I might just cancel my order thru vape world if firefly is still promising May delivery I am just going to order direct
I just got a reply from vape world now they say I will get my order in June not late May like they told me a couple weeks ago

Last edited:
The Natty Leprechaun,

Morimoto

@studmuffin Once again your tips helped me milk a massive cloud from a bowl of AVB (making sure the glass is extra clean every time, I am using my thumb to wipe now and getting an excellent seal).

I'm still working on the pile of old AVB perfecting the FF2 technique and having a blast vaping it over and over and getting PFT along the way.

iYFloCw.jpg

valjean

Ordered March 5, received Thursday. All I can say is YER MAH BOY BLUUUUUE! I have not looked back to combustion since my Pax 1; love the Pax 2 but was intrigued by the convection and efficiency that the FF 2 was promising. I like the lower resistance compared to Pax 2, and the flavor is much more deliciously consistent throughout. Since I'm new here, I've come up with my own amusing meanings, but what's PFT? It wasn't in the glossary. :p Anyways everyone's posts have been super helpful and I couldn't help but say "high there" and sing the praises of this little bug. :)

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
I know everyone is saying it's 'made' for concentrates. I'm picking up some dab in the morning - concentrates are hard to come by round here. Based on what I'm hearing here...sounds like I'm in for a pretty good (high) weekend..
OMG! Undeniable, this thing is made for concentrates. Absolutely fantastic!! This is turning into an addiction!! Lol..
One of the best investments of my life is the FF2. It's a bloody shame that concentrates aren't more readily available in my area. However, I have my appointment on Wednesday....for my 'green' card. Pretty sure the dispensaries will have more/better options...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom