The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalel

While this is touted as full convection, the more i look at it the more i think its conduction. To be conduction, herb is meant to be touching the element which heats it. To be true convection it shouldn't. Like a pig on a rack, the heat is rising up to it but its not a grill. In this case, our herb is actually sitting on a grill and that grill is PRESSED tightly against the ceramic below it ( which contains the coil) so in my mind this device is not full convection, and its sold as convection but is actually conduction.

kalel,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
While this is touted as full convection, the more i look at it the more i think its conduction. To be conduction, herb is meant to be touching the element which heats it. To be true convection it shouldn't. Like a pig on a rack, the heat is rising up to it but its not a grill. In this case, our herb is actually sitting on a grill and that grill is PRESSED tightly against the ceramic below it ( which contains the coil) so in my mind this device is not full convection, and its sold as convection but is actually conduction.
No. It’s not.

Here’s an easy test. Fill the bowl. Hold down the heat button till it shuts off without drawing. Do it again. And again. And again. If the FF were conduction, the weed would cook without any drawing. Is your FF bowl cooked? Thought not.

I think “pure convection” isn’t all it’s purported to be as a vaping heating method, but for sure, the FF models, for better or worse, are convection, not conduction.

LabPong

I tried a concentrate (live resin) last night for the first time, and used my new FF2. All I can say is WOW, big difference between concentrates and flower, and the FF2 was simple to use.

It works so much better with concentrates than flower...especially pressed rosin. I find some of the more saucy or loose concentrates to sink to the oven bottom fairly quick. Which is why you should not feel afraid to draw slightly harder than normal with flower in it.

LabPong,
Reactions: Relaxed

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
It works so much better with concentrates than flower...especially pressed rosin. I find some of the more saucy or loose concentrates to sink to the oven bottom fairly quick. Which is why you should not feel afraid to draw slightly harder than normal with flower in it.

The only difficulty I'm having now is getting the product from the container onto the small pad without making a mess of it. What tool is best to use?

Relaxed,

tokenknifeguy

How many bowls do you guys get per battery charge? And what temp is the best to use to vape herb (got the app)?

tokenknifeguy,

LabPong

The only difficulty I'm having now is getting the product from the container onto the small pad without making a mess of it. What tool is best to use?

Pressed flower rosin is usually the easiest to deal with, but other concentrates are soupier/looser in consistency and are harder to apply. Best to get a titanium pick tool or dab tool. Start by warming up the pad before applying. From a cold start, just cigar puff on it the whole first draw to just warm up the pad. Then apply the concentrate so it melts in and off your tool. I found this way to be the best for me.

How many bowls do you guys get per battery charge? And what temp is the best to use to vape herb (got the app)?

I usually get maybe 4 sessions or so off a charge, but depends on how hot you got it running. For flower I use 360 or 370 and for concentrates I use 470.

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
Reach out to @RogueGuy. He’s got what you need!

Checking out his store page now, so many options....

Pressed flower rosin is usually the easiest to deal with, but other concentrates are soupier/looser in consistency and are harder to apply. Best to get a titanium pick tool or dab tool. Start by warming up the pad before applying. From a cold start, just cigar puff on it the whole first draw to just warm up the pad. Then apply the concentrate so it melts in and off your tool. I found this way to be the best for me.

That is something I hadn't thought of, thank you.

Relaxed,
Reactions: Jill NYC

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Pressed flower rosin is usually the easiest to deal with, but other concentrates are soupier/looser in consistency and are harder to apply. Best to get a titanium pick tool or dab tool. Start by warming up the pad before applying. From a cold start, just cigar puff on it the whole first draw to just warm up the pad. Then apply the concentrate so it melts in and off your tool. I found this way to be the best for me..
Wherever possible I try to get wax, luminosa, or crumble for this exact reason. Shatter, sauce, diamonds etc are all too sticky for me to work with unless they are completely frozen. Wax is a piece of cake, especially with a dabbing tool. :2c:

mitchgo61,
Reactions: LabPong

LegalAlien

I usually get maybe 4 sessions or so off a charge, but depends on how hot you got it running. For flower I use 360 or 370 and for concentrates I use 470.
I just had my FF2 refurbished to a plus. I bought it less than a year ago, right before the plus came out. I've spent about the same $ now as I would have if I'd waited & bought the plus. But, anyway...

I do notice, so far, a much better draw. Has anyone noticed that after the upgrade to the plus.. that it seems to blacken my herb in spots & I am getting a burned taste. I only start with it set on 320 and I tried turning down the calibration to about 94%. Should I turn it down more. Before I did the upgrade it seemed to heat slower but more evenly. I read somewhere that a good place to start vaping is around 280 degrees. Could be the condition of the herb. Seems like its on about the 3rd hit when it starts to taste burned and some of it looks black.

LegalAlien,

LabPong

I just had my FF2 refurbished to a plus. I bought it less than a year ago, right before the plus came out. I've spent about the same $ now as I would have if I'd waited & bought the plus. But, anyway...

I do notice, so far, a much better draw. Has anyone noticed that after the upgrade to the plus.. that it seems to blacken my herb in spots & I am getting a burned taste. I only start with it set on 320 and I tried turning down the calibration to about 94%. Should I turn it down more. Before I did the upgrade it seemed to heat slower but more evenly. I read somewhere that a good place to start vaping is around 280 degrees. Could be the condition of the herb. Seems like its on about the 3rd hit when it starts to taste burned and some of it looks black.

Are you stirring between draws?

LabPong,

J-Kill9109

I apologize if this was covered earlier in the thread, I have attempted to skim the pages, but there is a ton of reading here. Did Firefly discontinue the red lid for the Firefly 2? If they did, does anyone know why?

J-Kill9109,

LegalAlien

Are you stirring between draws?
I stir about every two draws. Now that I've played with my FF2+ after the upgrade, I start out a new bowl of herb (careful to get out the stemmy stuff if any, pull it apart don't grind it so its more course, make sure air isn't getting in around the herb, etc).. start it out at 280 degrees calibrated at 97%. Seems much more likely to burn if I have it at 100% (default). So, its rare when I get combustion but it does happen occasionally; definitely easier to let this happen now than before the upgrade.

LegalAlien,

J-Kill9109

I stir about every two draws. Now that I've played with my FF2+ after the upgrade, I start out a new bowl of herb (careful to get out the stemmy stuff if any, pull it apart don't grind it so its more course, make sure air isn't getting in around the herb, etc).. start it out at 280 degrees calibrated at 97%. Seems much more likely to burn if I have it at 100% (default). So, its rare when I get combustion but it does happen occasionally; definitely easier to let this happen now than before the upgrade.
Have you talked to Firefly about having to use dramatically lower temperatures than normal for vaporization?

J-Kill9109,

LegalAlien

Have you talked to Firefly about having to use dramatically lower temperatures than normal for vaporization?
I'm not sure it is "dramatically" lower temps. It is noticeable. It's just the incidental combustion. Not only do I think it's hard on the vape, but if I'm not careful I can get a very harsh draw that burns my throat.

Yes, I wrote to them yesterday. I have found their customer service to be quite good so far in the last year. I'll post if there is anything other than "set your calibration lower" or something.

LegalAlien,

J-Kill9109

I'm not sure it is "dramatically" lower temps. It is noticeable. It's just the incidental combustion. Not only do I think it's hard on the vape, but if I'm not careful I can get a very harsh draw that burns my throat.

Yes, I wrote to them yesterday. I have found their customer service to be quite good so far in the last year. I'll post if there is anything other than "set your calibration lower" or something.
The reason I say dramatically lower, is because you said you set to 280, and not even at 100% calibration. As far as I know vapor starts being produced about 320 and it should be very wispy and thin, no burning at all. I would think something is wrong if you're setting it to 280 for a session. I've not had issues with Firefly customer service either, hopefully they fix you up, because I can't imagine that's normal operation by their standards.

J-Kill9109,

im not a robot

hi everyone. i have a firefly 2 (non plus) i rarely use at this point, but i do really like its taste. best tasting vape i have hands down. i picked it up recently, and noticed troubles with the buttons. or whatever they are called. where the fingers go. it is as if they have trouble registering a finger is there. sometimes there is no reaction at all, sometimes it will start warming up (pulsing green), and then change its mind & turn off again. this can happen at any point & also affects attempts to change the temp.
i do clean the unit regularly. is this a common problem? is there a fix?
thanks!

im not a robot,
Reactions: ElPic

ElPic

Take my money
hi everyone. i have a firefly 2 (non plus) i rarely use at this point, but i do really like its taste. best tasting vape i have hands down. i picked it up recently, and noticed troubles with the buttons. or whatever they are called. where the fingers go. it is as if they have trouble registering a finger is there. sometimes there is no reaction at all, sometimes it will start warming up (pulsing green), and then change its mind & turn off again. this can happen at any point & also affects attempts to change the temp.
i do clean the unit regularly. is this a common problem? is there a fix?
thanks!
Hello I’m not a robot,
My firefly 2 , does the same thing that yours since I ship it to be upgrade as a FF2+.
Sometimes it turn off in the middle while warming off, or in the middle of a hit. On my unit I realized that the problem is the Left button, so for now, I switch my setting as only the right button is need to activate the unit.
Go in your settings, and try Left or right button activation, and you will find witch one is the problem!
Hope it help.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom