The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Not sure how many still use an EQ, but I just bought the product below. Hoping it will be great for holding HOT bowls and wands, if and when you want to remove the load, for stretched out sessions.

This is a 3-prong holder, they make a 5-prong holder and various colors, and you can adapt to either 18mm or 14mm. I went with RED, to remind me stuff is HOT.

View attachment 11323

Just stable enough!

149FA5CF-C58F-4CE6-8A6F-86D25BA2D9E3.jpeg

RustyOldNail

Received the DDave “Omega Kit” today. Using .2 grams in short bowl adapter, BETTER then the .4 load in the standard Arizer one.

QUESTION:

Anyone else have and solved the issue I’m having with the DDave “short bowl adapter”?

Even with NO FAN, my draws are moving the bowl screen around enough, causing some herb to get under and past the screen and into the heating unit below. Using the fan, makes it even worse.

Received the DDave “Omega Kit” today. Using .2 grams in short bowl adapter, BETTER then the .4 load in the standard Arizer one.

QUESTION:

Anyone else have and solved the issue I’m having with the DDave “short bowl adapter”?

Even with NO FAN, my draws are moving the bowl screen around enough, causing some herb to get under and past the screen and into the heating unit below. Using the fan, makes it even worse.
So the omega wand brings the elbow packed bowl closer to the heating element correct?

Rekreation,
Reactions: BigJr48

RustyOldNail

So the omega wand brings the elbow packed bowl closer to the heating element correct?

The short 18/18mm bowl is doing all the “lowering”. The titanium or SS wand is a short VERTICAL STEM, I’m sure you visited his site and saw the photos, but I’m detailing it here for lurkers.

As this latest version is VERTICAL, with NO ELBOW, I’m going back to what I believe is the proper term, which is:
BASKET LOAD...
... then the term elbow pack, can be used as I’ve seen it to describe loading a small stem, or mouthpiece and using the basket to hold it in, above. Sorry to digress, but that last EQ “test” bowl is hitttttinggg. If there is any interest on that subject I’ll post a photo...

So, back to your question which I half answered above. The 18mm Omega Wand fits all the way down, far as possible in the glass adapter, but that’s true with the stock 18mm male elbow glass. I had a few 18-18mm glass adapters, but none were as short as the DDave one, and it’s solid, and that’s what is doing the lowering to the ceramic heater element.

However, as in my post above, I wish there was a way to SECURE the screen in the middle of the “adapter”. It has been suggested to try 2 screens, but my first attempt was not great, I may have to design some form of removable “split ring”, and use a single screen. His SS screens are pretty fine, so that’s not the issue, and my tests so far have only been with a medium BCG grind, I’m not going to attempt a fine grind till I solve the screen movement issue, and loose bud falling through to the heater.

NOTE: DDave has been transitioning from the older glass wands, most of those kits are no longer stocked. The “OMEGA KIT”, is the replacement for much of the old lineup.

I bought the G2 titanium version, and for $10 extra I recommend it over the stainless steel version as it’s lighter and cools faster. The best thing besides it being unbreakable is Dave’s custom screen bowls, they don’t pull out easily. The stock Arizer setup with the SS cups into the glass joint, have fallen out on me a lot, bending and pushing didn’t help much.

For a bottom bowl load, I use one of the included DDave “capped baskets” in the Omega wand, this keeps the load from getting into the cup and sticking etc. He also includes the open baskets, for a stem basket load. An appropriate 0.2 load in the stem basket is great, goes fairly quickly, so I’m trying to master the bowl, for larger loads, not huge. I looked at his 14mm stuff, and considering how little herb can fit in a 14mm basket, it seemed like super micro dosing. For that tiny load, I’d use a DV.

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I just got a Q to replace an old Herbalaire that died. one of the features that I always liked about the HA was its ability to drop in a nug without grinding. though I am not a purist of any sort, there was something nice about an undisturbed/ unground , trichomes in tact etc that made for a great and potent and flavorful vaping experience. Anyone have any luck with the Arizer without grinding. Otherwise, my initial impressions are exactly what I wanted from this type of desktop unit. which is to say great so far.

VapeKnight,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Ill be adding myself to the Q list here soon. Went through many DD vapes, and a ton of portables. When I quit for a few years, I got rid of it all along with my coveted Mind Eraser SSV and VXC.

Ive always had a respect for the EQ and Im excited to get back to a desktop vape again. (Currently have a Solo2 and VG Coil) Might try to get the SSV back from the guy even if it means getting him a DBV to fill that need.
Decisions decisions :D

RustyOldNail

I just got a Q to replace an old Herbalaire that died. one of the features that I always liked about the HA was its ability to drop in a nug without grinding. though I am not a purist of any sort, there was something nice about an undisturbed/ unground , trichomes in tact etc that made for a great and potent and flavorful vaping experience. Anyone have any luck with the Arizer without grinding. Otherwise, my initial impressions are exactly what I wanted from this type of desktop unit. which is to say great so far.

FWI: Typing in all CAPS = SHOUTING in online forum etiquette.

I like an occasional NUG myself, how are you using your EQ with hugs?

RustyOldNail

DDave 18mm titanium wand, basket loaded, DDave “short 18mm bowl adapter”.

Leave that wand on there and in short time, it’s HOT. But, since it’s a basket load, I’m get 3 good hits and then some dark heavy ones if wanted, so in this configuration there’s little CONDUCTION, as the session is short.

I used my BCG LG FINE grind, measured a .17 amount, straw sucked about .15 approximately, and tamped a bit too hard, to compensate for trying to load too much. A bit too much draw resistance, but it worked, near the end I went with FAN #1 and #2, to help pump it out.

The above works fine, but I still need to work on my bowl technique to try for LONGER “Sessions”

1E673261-FA7D-49B4-A41D-E38B4C87EB96.jpeg

Last edited:

TheFatBastard

Hi everybody!

After a year or so using the Flowerpot, I’m using my wonderful V-Tower again (same model than the Extreme, but without the fan function). I love the way the Extreme can be used n more relaxed / longwhip session and, after years using it, I find it one of the greatest vapes for the money.

I have the DDave V2 14mm and 18mm adapters, and these last days I’ve used the 14mm adapter with like 0.2g of nice sativas, which is the way I usually use the Extreme since years ago. Indeed, it is a wonderful vape!. I run from 175c going up to 195c and doing 3/4 hits in every temperature change, which is like 15/20 hits in around 2 hours, while I listen to music or watch a live concert / movie.

I would like to re-discover the Extreme. Guess I’m going back to the 18mm adapter and use around 0.3/0.4g per session and I would like to know how you’ll recommend me to use it for a better / more efficient highs. I’ve used it in a lot of ways, lower temps,higher temps, changing from 170c to 210c... as I’ve said, I’ve had this vaporizer since like 4 years ago, and I know it well.... but I want to explore and I would like to know how the more experienced users like me are using it right now.

I’m only vaping on weekends for recreational use, and I love the psicoactive highs that sativas use to deliver, but also like to relax from time to time with a nice indica.

Aiming for getting “as high as possible” on a 10:15 Saturday Night (yes, I LOVE The Cure, excuse the joke:D) how would you be using your Extreme EQ????

I would like to hear your opinions and try to use the Extreme in different ways for fun and experimenting, let me know please things like:

- Are you using the DDave Mod?
- Packing elbows? (With the DDave I fi d redundant to make elbow packs in the screens since the herbs are so close that they kind of pack themselves in every hit)
- How much herb do you use each session and how many hits?
- Temperatures?
- Short or long sessions?

I have as many herb as I want, since I grow it myself in a very sunny place, which gives me unlimited supply ;), so efficiency inusing is not one of my goals, but getting as high as possible .

Thanks in advance guys!

TheFatBastard,

RustyOldNail

Hi everybody!

After a year or so using the Flowerpot, I’m using my wonderful V-Tower again (same model than the Extreme, but without the fan function). I love the way the Extreme can be used n more relaxed / longwhip session and, after years using it, I find it one of the greatest vapes for the money.

I have the DDave V2 14mm and 18mm adapters, and these last days I’ve used the 14mm adapter with like 0.2g of nice sativas, which is the way I usually use the Extreme since years ago. Indeed, it is a wonderful vape!. I run from 175c going up to 195c and doing 3/4 hits in every temperature change, which is like 15/20 hits in around 2 hours, while I listen to music or watch a live concert / movie.

I would like to re-discover the Extreme. Guess I’m going back to the 18mm adapter and use around 0.3/0.4g per session and I would like to know how you’ll recommend me to use it for a better / more efficient highs. I’ve used it in a lot of ways, lower temps,higher temps, changing from 170c to 210c... as I’ve said, I’ve had this vaporizer since like 4 years ago, and I know it well.... but I want to explore and I would like to know how the more experienced users like me are using it right now.

I’m only vaping on weekends for recreational use, and I love the psicoactive highs that sativas use to deliver, but also like to relax from time to time with a nice indica.

Aiming for getting “as high as possible” on a 10:15 Saturday Night (yes, I LOVE The Cure, excuse the joke:D) how would you be using your Extreme EQ????

I would like to hear your opinions and try to use the Extreme in different ways for fun and experimenting, let me know please things like:

- Are you using the DDave Mod?
- Packing elbows? (With the DDave I fi d redundant to make elbow packs in the screens since the herbs are so close that they kind of pack themselves in every hit)
- How much herb do you use each session and how many hits?
- Temperatures?
- Short or long sessions?

I have as many herb as I want, since I grow it myself in a very sunny place, which gives me unlimited supply ;), so efficiency inusing is not one of my goals, but getting as high as possible .

Thanks in advance guys!

While a NEW device for me, I left some notes above your post, lots of user notes in the rest of this thread.

Not sure you need any advice since you said:

“I run from 175c going up to 195c and doing 3/4 hits in every temperature change, which is like 15/20 hits in around 2 hours”.

If you can stretch a .2g load that long, you are the expert! :)

TheFatBastard

While a NEW device for me, I left some notes above your post, lots of user notes in the rest of this thread.

Not sure you need any advice since you said:

“I run from 175c going up to 195c and doing 3/4 hits in every temperature change, which is like 15/20 hits in around 2 hours”.

If you can stretch a .2g load that long, you are the expert! :)

Thanks for the reply!

Well....I’ve used it for 4 years now, and my post is aiming for changing the way I’ve come to finally use the Extreme after all these years.

Of course, I stretch the sessions for a more “relaxed” way of vaping that, lets say, with the Flowerpot..... but maybe I’ve made myself used to an specific way of using the Extreme and now I want to re-discover, after some years, new ways of using it. Specially for a more concentrated sessions, which I’m not so experienced because I usually use the Flowerpot for that.

I’m reading some of the users tips in these last years, but I thought I could post so I can specifically explain my situation and get more specific advice.

RustyOldNail

Thanks for the reply!

Well....I’ve used it for 4 years now, and my post is aiming for changing the way I’ve come to finally use the Extreme after all these years.

Of course, I stretch the sessions for a more “relaxed” way of vaping that, lets say, with the Flowerpot..... but maybe I’ve made myself used to an specific way of using the Extreme and now I want to re-discover, after some years, new ways of using it. Specially for a more concentrated sessions, which I’m not so experienced because I usually use the Flowerpot for that.

I’m reading some of the users tips in these last years, but I thought I could post so I can specifically explain my situation and get more specific advice.

I’ve been trying to use mine, like my WeedEater, but the WE is a true convection vape, as you pull the heat source off after your hit. The EQ, has a lot more conduction going on if one leave a full bowl on, or a basket loaded whip. So I’ve been using the tongs, to pull the bowl off, after my hit. It’s a bit more work, the red silicone holder you see in the photo in my previous post, is used to hold the hot bowl. That’s the only way I can get a longer session. For faster use, I’m using the newer DDave 18mm titanium wand, and loading the basket with 1.5-2g’s, that’s all I can pack in the basket. I can also remove the wand between hits, but I find I kill that basket pretty quick. There is certainly a lot of different ways to use an EQ, experimenting is fun.

viceroy420

Anyone else like ripping elbows in one hit at max temp? I prefer the stock bowl over the ddave mods. I like anywhere from 230-260c

viceroy420,

onmahgrizzyy

My flower is coming out much greener after running the extreme q than any other vapes I'm used to. I'm heating it up and letting it sit for 20 minutes at 400F and then elbow packing but I'm getting really light hits. Even at like 430+ I'm unable to get milky hits. I'm using a 18 f/f adapter that's shorter than the stock bowl. I'm running the hose but should I consider running the fan?

onmahgrizzyy,

Vape_ninja

anyone tried hooking a glass mini bong onto the vape end ? so you can hold it into your hand to hit it

or a compatible glass bubbler you can use as a mouthpiece? for a smoother experience with the small particles caught in the water

average_joe

anyone tried hooking a glass mini bong onto the vape end ? so you can hold it into your hand to hit it

or a compatible glass bubbler you can use as a mouthpiece? for a smoother experience with the small particles caught in the water
I do this, I use the bong that is sold as an attachment for the Vapexhale. I only did this to improve flavor. I am not sure what small particles are you talking about thou.

My flower is coming out much greener after running the extreme q than any other vapes I'm used to. I'm heating it up and letting it sit for 20 minutes at 400F and then elbow packing but I'm getting really light hits. Even at like 430+ I'm unable to get milky hits. I'm using a 18 f/f adapter that's shorter than the stock bowl. I'm running the hose but should I consider running the fan?
I have seen a Extreme Q showing the wrong temperature, I noticed that it was showing 260° on screen and then if I pressed down to 259° it will show that the real temp was 224° and will start raising it up. Your device might be faulty I think and I dont think using the fan will help.

Ok now I have a question, anyone will buy the New Extreme Q? the XQ2, it looks gorgeous but I dont see any improvement so I would like to hear someones experience before buying (it doesnt seem to be worth the upgrade but its so pretty). Also Arizer went from free shipping ww to 60 bucks! thanks covid.... so would be glas to have some feedback about their new vape. Thanks in advance.

average_joe,

3l3tric

I've had one of these for a couple years now w/ 14mm ddave mod, and yesterday I had an idea that really upgraded the performance of my unit.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is with stock/18mm mod, but with the 14mm mod the basket screens get clogged exceptionally quickly. I'd tried capping my own screens, which did improve the problem a bit, but didn't completely fix it.

Then yesterday, it dawned on me: "Why do I even need a basket? I just need some way of holding the flat screen in place"

So, I decided to cut up a flat screen in hopes of finding a way to hold it in place on the wand. It took 3-4 attempts, but the final result improves airflow tremendously, and doesn't seem to get clogged very easily. You effectively end up with a capped basket without the basket at the end of this.

Here are the instructions for making a tab-held flat screen for the ExQ (Images for 14mm wand at end)

vpshNc3.jpg
The finished product installed on a 14mm wand.

DISCLAIMER AND ADVICE: The measurements included in the below writeup are all "eyeballing" measurements. Be sure you understand the purpose of each cut/fold before you do it, and consult the imgur album often to ensure you're on the right track. Usually these screens come in packs of 50+ so having to trash a couple failed attempts isn't the worst result in the world, but still. When in doubt, trust your gut instead of adhering exactly to the measurements I gave here. The biggest thing to keep in mind is making sure the screen doesn't poke out beyond the wand, which usually would be caused by not making at least 1 of the initial 8 cuts deep enough. Also, thinner seems to be better with regard to the 4 tabs, but you'll want to ensure the 8 cuts are more shallow as you try to make them thinner (since your diagonal sections will be slightly longer). In the end, the octagon formed by the 4 legs and 4 diagonals should match the size of the wand inlet as closely as possible to ensure the wand will still fit into the bowl while also ensuring proper filtration. If you get leaks, most likely either the screen is too small or at least one of your tabs is too wide, leaving an opening.

1) The screens should be at least 1 inch in diameter. You can almost certainly get away with 3/4 inch, but 1 inch was what I used and know works. Also, these instructions are specifically for the 14mm DDave mod wand. You will need to make your own measurements, and YMMV, if you attempt this with the 18mm mod or stock setups.

2) Cut 4 "tabs" out of the sides of one of the screens. These "tabs" should be about 1/8 inch wide, and about 1/4 inch long. If you don't feel like measuring, you should still get decent results by positioning the scissors right in the middle of the screen, and moving right/left a couple scissor widths before making the cut. In the end, you should have made 8 total cuts, in 4 "pairs", making roughly a plus-sign shape in the screen.

3) Cut the sections between these "tabs" out. It's at a kind of awkward angle so it may require some fiddling, but in the end, you should have a plus sign shaped screen with diagonal lines between each "leg" of the plus sign. At this point, take your wand and place it on the middle of the in-progress screen. If you see any metal poking out, especially on any of the "corners" between the tabs, make sure to trim it, as it will likely block the wand from fitting in the bowl.

4) Fold each of the tabs into the center of the screen, one on top of the other. You'll want to crease these folds as heavily as possible, either by using the flat side of a scissor blade to smash the screen down on a table or pressing firmly with fingernails. Depending on how deep the original cuts were, you may need to include a small amount of the diagonal sections with some/all of the folds in order to ensure the screen will fit.

5) Now you'll want to fold the tabs again, this time back to the outside but with a small lip. This will allow the tabs to fit into the wand without requiring the screen itself to be smaller than the wand. I formed the small lip by holding each tab about 1/16in from the original fold when I made the second fold.

6) Fit the screen into your wand. I recommend using a cold wand because it may require some fiddling. You'll want to angle the screen slightly so that you can focus on putting in one tab at a time. Once done, use a grinder or other metal surface to press the screen firmly into the wand, and you're done!

This screen mod makes a huge difference in vaping, mostly through a vast improvement in airflow. Extractions seem to be a bit faster and heavier even on the same temp settings, and the screen feels about as open (if not slightly moreso) than a freshly cleaned capped screen. I'll still need to experiment over the coming days, but so far I've had nothing but positive results.

Here's a link to an imgur album with images of each step. Let me know your results if you try this!

Last edited:

Vape_ninja

i did get a mini bong in the end and it works fine, its probably a bit like a more awkward water bubbler attatchment/filter :

Also i wanted to add the most efficient way for vaping weed i found with arizer is:
1. Use the elbow pack method
2. take one decent hit and as you near the end of that hit, lift it out to draw cool air onto your herb , then repeat
even more efficient way is to as above then leave the elbow out of the vape you literally waste no herb whatsoever and people think its all about dense fat clouds, but when end of inhale is just air, it gives more room for the vapour to expand and be absorbed easier

RustyOldNail

I've had one of these for a couple years now w/ 14mm ddave mod, and yesterday I had an idea that really upgraded the performance of my unit.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is with stock/18mm mod, but with the 14mm mod the basket screens get clogged exceptionally quickly. I'd tried capping my own screens, which did improve the problem a bit, but didn't completely fix it.

Then yesterday, it dawned on me: "Why do I even need a basket? I just need some way of holding the flat screen in place"

So, I decided to cut up a flat screen in hopes of finding a way to hold it in place on the wand. It took 3-4 attempts, but the final result improves airflow tremendously, and doesn't seem to get clogged very easily.

I'll post a couple pics later if there's confusion, but here's the writeup of what I did: Imgur link now included at the bottom of the post.

DISCLAIMER: The measurements included in the below writeup are all "eyeballing" measurements. Usually these screens come in packs of 50+ so having to trash a couple failed attempts isn't the worst result in the world, but still. When in doubt, trust your gut instead of adhering exactly to the measurements I gave here. The biggest thing to keep in mind is making sure the screen doesn't poke out beyond the wand, which usually would be caused by not making at least 1 of the initial 8 cuts deep enough.

1) The screens should be at least 1 inch in diameter. You can almost certainly get away with 3/4 inch, but 1 inch was what I used and know works. Also, these instructions are specifically for the 14mm DDave mod. You will need to make your own measurements, and YMMV, if you attempt this with the 18mm mod or stock setups.

2) Cut 4 "tabs" out of the sides of one of the screens. These "tabs" should be about 1/8 inch wide, and about 1/4 inch long. If you don't feel like measuring, you should still get decent results by positioning the scissors right in the middle of the screen, and moving right/left a couple scissor widths before making the cut. In the end, you should have made 8 total cuts, in 4 "pairs", making roughly a plus-sign shape in the screen.

3) Cut the sections between these "tabs" out. It's at a kind of awkward angle so it may require some fiddling, but in the end, you should have a plus sign shaped screen with diagonal lines between each "leg" of the plus sign. At this point, take your wand and place it on the middle of the in-progress screen. If you see any metal poking out, especially on any of the "corners" between the tabs, make sure to trim it, as it will likely block the wand from fitting in the bowl.

4) Fold each of the tabs into the center of the screen, one on top of the other. You'll want to crease these folds as heavily as possible, either by using the flat side of a scissor blade to smash the screen down on a table or pressing firmly with fingernails. Depending on how deep the original cuts were, you may need to include a small amount of the diagonal sections with some/all of the folds in order to ensure the screen will fit.

5) Now you'll want to fold the tabs again, this time back to the outside but with a small lip. This will allow the tabs to fit into the wand without requiring the screen itself to be smaller than the wand. I formed the small lip by holding each tab about 1/16in from the original fold when I made the second fold.

6) Fit the screen into your wand. I recommend using a cold wand because it may require some fiddling. You'll want to angle the screen slightly so that you can focus on putting in one tab at a time. Once done, use a grinder or other metal surface to press the screen firmly into the wand, and you're done!

This screen mod makes a huge difference in vaping, mostly through a vast improvement in airflow. Extractions seem to be a bit faster and heavier even on the same temp settings, and the screen feels about as open (if not slightly moreso) than a freshly cleaned capped screen. I'll still need to experiment over the coming days, but so far I've had nothing but positive results.

Here's a link to an imgur album with images of each step. Let me know your results if you try this!

A little confused... are you basically making your own capped screens like the DDave ones here:

3l3tric

A little confused... are you basically making your own capped screens like the DDave ones
Sort of, but the "back" of the basket is completely absent. I've actually never had the real capped screens, just made my own using a regular basket and cut a small circle out of the same pipe screen as the ones I used above. With those, while they didn't clog quite as fast as the uncapped basket, over time I'd notice deposits of pollen building up in the basket part behind the cap, eventually clogging the airflow. Additionally, the baskets tend to build up residue in the sidewalls that's hard to get out, further restricting airflow. When you have a flat screen that completely covers the inlet of the wand, the basket ends up being unnecessary and ends up just getting in the way of good airflow, hence the custom cut-out screen above. Also, I think the diameter of the screen is larger since there's no metal rim like there would be with the basket.

Plus, those capped basket screens are $10 for a 5 pack, meanwhile the 1 inch flat screens used for the instructions above are about the same price for 50. At least in my experience, the capped screens still clogged at a rate where a 5 pack would last me maybe over a year (and that's still with regular cleaning). I don't foresee my custom screens clogging anywhere near as fast, but even if they did, they're still definitely a better value.

TL;DR these would serve the same function as the capped basket screens (for users dumping their loads directly into the bowls) but IME would function better since they lack the basket section.

EDIT: Added a final pic and changed a bit of wording in my original post, should clarify things a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom