The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

vape4life said:
I've had the Q for a couple of weeks now and sold my Extreme to a friend. At this point I kind of regret it. I'm not sure how you could possibly get any vapour at 170C??? Or even at 190C? I found that with the old Extreme i'd use between 190C and about 210C MAX. Now with the new Q, I start somewhere at about 215C and go up to about 235C, but STILL my herbs have tonnes of green in them.

I found with the Extreme, I would get tonnes of vapour until the point where you just KNEW the herbs were spent...nice and browned. With the Q, I can't get to that point even with the temp cranked up. There is always some green mixed with light brown and I feel like i'm wasting.

Is the fan slower than the Extreme? Seems like it, although it is MUCH quieter forsure.

So far i'm dissappointed, but will allow a bit more time to hear of others experiences before I sell this thing and revert back to the old Extreme.
Dear vape4life,

try a few bags at 170 and if you don't get real fucking stoned, then check what you're loading the bowl with. i find i vaporize too many unwanted toxins at 200C and above. i find my buds taste best and crispest at 170-190. go on -- try it out!

StickyStank,

davebart

I just don't see how Arizer would make something that is inferior to the extreme. Yes the v3 extreme was third gen but this is like a v4. I think the Arizer team has its reasons for changes and looks to help us enjoy the vaping lifestyle better. The company can only get better with higher sales & more money for research and product. I can see at sometime down the road in the chain of success that a company would remake the popular product with a little less on the quality side and skimp on some spending to ride the success wave making more money made on each sold. I just dont see Arizer being there yet. I still feel there is enough competition out there in the vape market that The Extreme Q will have to be on its A game. I love my v3 and expect to love my Q when it arrives in 3 or less business days... I will write back on my experience.

davebart,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
StickyStank said:
vape4life said:
I've had the Q for a couple of weeks now and sold my Extreme to a friend. At this point I kind of regret it. I'm not sure how you could possibly get any vapour at 170C??? Or even at 190C? I found that with the old Extreme i'd use between 190C and about 210C MAX. Now with the new Q, I start somewhere at about 215C and go up to about 235C, but STILL my herbs have tonnes of green in them.

I found with the Extreme, I would get tonnes of vapour until the point where you just KNEW the herbs were spent...nice and browned. With the Q, I can't get to that point even with the temp cranked up. There is always some green mixed with light brown and I feel like i'm wasting.

Is the fan slower than the Extreme? Seems like it, although it is MUCH quieter forsure.

So far i'm dissappointed, but will allow a bit more time to hear of others experiences before I sell this thing and revert back to the old Extreme.
Dear vape4life,

try a few bags at 170 and if you don't get real fucking stoned, then check what you're loading the bowl with. i find i vaporize too many unwanted toxins at 200C and above. i find my buds taste best and crispest at 170-190. go on -- try it out!
if you read his statement, he has tried the temps and is now required to go higher. He's experienced using the Extreme, it's not his first time around the block.

My hypothesis is that there is something wrong with his heater...give Steve a call, I'm sure he can help.

stonemonkey55,

Rocket J Squirrel

Heat up time, from room temp to 200C, (as indicated by the LCD), no fan:

Extreme: 77 seconds
Q: 63 seconds

I don't know whether this means that the Extreme heats more slowly, or whether its thermal sensor is farther away. The Q has three sensors, and the machine is maybe averaging them? I just reports what I sees. Only Steve at Arizer knows the truth.

As for whether one machine benefits more than the other from a long preheat -- there are too many variables, I have no idea how one would even go about setting up a test for that.

Rocket J Squirrel,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
i was gonna say the same thing, monkey. might be a bad unit...certainly happened enough with the first round of E's back in the day.

stickstones,

vape4life

Banned for life
I've had the V-tower classic, Extreme, and now Extreme-Q and have been vaping for 3 years now exclusively. I'm also using quality Grade A herbs.

I have spoke to Steve about this and surely with a new heater, or at least temp. sensors, the calibration might be different and thus reading temps that are 20-25C higher than the Extreme. I have no problem with that whatsoever as they temp readings are redundant in my opinion since it's not measuring the air temp moving over the herbs. This is why a warmup time of 60 seconds or whatever doesn't matter, because you STILL need to let the unit warm up for 5-10+ minutes. Try vaping after the first minute when the temp reads 200C or whatever... good luck getting any vapour.

I understand that Arizer wouldn't make anything inferior to the Extreme... I know Steve well, and it's ALL about quality and customer service. However, i'm almost wondering if something backfired here. I like the Q, and really wanna LOVE it, but just think the Extreme was better in terms of vapour in some ways, but not in other...it's really hard to explain.

I don't think the unit is defective...i still get vapour from it...i'm not sure, but i'll continue to monitor, evaluate, and keep you posted before I sell it and go back to an Extreme.

Does anyone know if Arizer is stopping production of the Extreme? Everything is v4 from here on out?

--------
Since there have been no replies since my post, I have decided to add to it but editing rather than posting again.

After looking at the Q for a while (and a bowl) I have made some further observations. One is that I think I can almost sense the more stable heater by means of comparing the vapour to the Extreme. With the Extreme you get tonnes of vapour and then nothing or one good bag and one not so good. With the Q, i'm finding that the vapour is more consistent for more pulls, or 2 good bags.

I think I like the display on the Extreme better than the Q. Personal preference...just liked the layout better. But the lighting in pretty nice.

Not a big deal, or maybe just my own unit, but the up and down buttons seem really "loose". You can tell they are one piece because they move together, and it doesn't seem to affect function so no big deal. But it just kinda seems cheap and my Extreme didn't have that issue. The power and menu buttons are fine though.

Looking forward to hearing others experiences with the Q, and more specifically in comparison to the Ex.

LOCKSTOCK93

I'm a day in and truly enjoying my new Extreme Q.

Great functionality and at a value price from Rockwise - a little choked that the price got lowered seemingly minutes after i ordered, however! Haha!

The Q is an awesome machine and the vids on the Rockwise site clear up any questions about the new, quieter fans filling bags more slowly than the Extreme Classic; they're even-steven.

LOCKSTOCK93,

Rocket J Squirrel

vape4life said:
...the up and down buttons seem really "loose". You can tell they are one piece because they move together, and it doesn't seem to affect function so no big deal. But it just kinda seems cheap and my Extreme didn't have that issue. The power and menu buttons are fine though.
Hey vape4life, after reading that I checked out the buttons on my E and my Q. The ones on the E clatter when pressed, the Q's, while feeling just as loose, don't have that rattle. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this assembly may not have changed when the model changed, and maybe there are unit-to-unit variations that can result in different button sounds and tactile feel.

Your comment about the Q maybe having a more stable heater, because of the consistency of the pulls, I am also seeing something similar. With the E I got some good pulls at lower temp, but pretty soon had to start increasing the temp for subsequent pulls in order to get any vapor. With the Q, the little elbow bowlful keeps going and going and going, without needing to increase the temp so soon. Dunno what that means. But me likee.

Rocket J Squirrel,

vape4life

Banned for life
Yes, that's exactly it... I think i'm just getting used to the transition because it is definitely noticeable and i'm glad you have noticed it too. I haven't tried filling the elbow (but I will). I find at a certain point you have to increase the temp on the Q to properly extract all the goodness from the herb but not as quick as you had to with the E. Still, I have to really crank the Q up to about 240-250C to brown the herbs the same way the E did. Maybe the E did that prematurily... perhaps the Q is a healthier machine because of it!

I did some more experimenting last night predominately with temperatures. I did try the 170C, left the bowl with herbs on to "perculate" which i find to be very important for good vapour. Well, I got a tiny thin trail of vapour. I cranked it up to 190C and got some vapour but at that thickness it would take vaping the bowl for an hour to spend through it. So back up to 200-210+ and was getting thick vapour.

Anyone else with the Q please share what temp's you have been using.

Also is it possible to get like some sort of blockage in the airflow? Even with a new bowl, adapter piece, screen, etc. I almost felt like it was harder to inhale than needed. Then eventually something gave and the airflow was much better....who knows.

Today i'll experiment more with bags. Great vids on Rockwise and looking forward to more comparisons forsure...great job.

vape4life,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Rocket J Squirrel

vape4life said:
Also is it possible to get like some sort of blockage in the airflow? Even with a new bowl, adapter piece, screen, etc. I almost felt like it was harder to inhale than needed. Then eventually something gave and the airflow was much better....who knows.
It's a pretty visible airway, nothing hidden. If there was a chunk of something causing blockage I'd expect that one would either see it ("Hey -- what's that? Looks like a Styrofoam packing peanut shoved down the mouthpiece!"), or would have inhaled it when it cleared.

With a fresh elbow pack, I'm starting at 205C and letting it preheat for five minutes or so. Very solid vapor that way.

Rocket J Squirrel,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
as far as temp variations between the last extreme and the Q, I don't see that as much of an issue. If you look at the past history of Extremes, they have all had different temps compared to the next model. This is due to how and where they read the temp in the unit.
I don't see why this wouldn't hold true for the new model. Just gotta figure out the temp ranges compared too previous models.

DevoTheStrange,

davebart

Looking forward to Rockwise's Part 3 of the E to Q comparison... Hurry rock hurry!!!!

davebart,

vape4life

Banned for life
That's pretty much where I have been starting too and upwards to 220 typically. Are you finding that you are getting more vapour than the E? I'm finding more vapour with the Q but just can't get it as fast as i'd like with the whip, compared to the E. But I guess that's what the bags are for :)

Rocket J Squirrel said:
vape4life said:
It's a pretty visible airway, nothing hidden. If there was a chunk of something causing blockage I'd expect that one would either see it ("Hey -- what's that? Looks like a Styrofoam packing peanut shoved down the mouthpiece!"), or would have inhaled it when it cleared.

With a fresh elbow pack, I'm starting at 205C and letting it preheat for five minutes or so. Very solid vapor that way.

vape4life,

Rocket J Squirrel

DevoTheStrange said:
as far as temp variations between the last extreme and the Q, I don't see that as much of an issue. If you look at the past history of Extremes, they have all had different temps compared to the next model. This is due to how and where they read the temp in the unit.
I don't see why this wouldn't hold true for the new model. Just gotta figure out the temp ranges compared too previous models.
I agree, and think that too many people fret about this. I don't think any vaporizers provide an accurate readout of the temp of the herb. They have to stick the thermal probe someplace, but it ain't in the center of the bowl. And if they did, someone would fret that the temp in the center is not the same as that on the sides. I reckon that the readout is just some number that I can refer to when setting the temp, and it's up to me to figure out what number gives the result I'm looking for.

I don't think that the number is very useful when comparing two different vapes -- each has its own way of measuring things.

Rocket J Squirrel,

vape4life

Banned for life
This is definitely true and definitely the case with the Q as confirmed by Steve from Arizer. All has to do with sensor locations and callibration.

DevoTheStrange said:

vape4life,

Rocket J Squirrel

Vape4life: Well, look -- I'm not a heavy user. Believe it or not, but I'm still toking off the same elbow pack that I put into my Q when I got it a couple days ago. And the bud is from a different strain than what I was last using with my Extreme. So my results are not very useful to make any kind of conclusion about.

I'm planning to go back to the bud I was last using in the Extreme next, because I want to see how that vapes. But it's interesting to me that this load is still vaping very very well. And I'm only at 210C with this load now.

More visible vapor in the elbow, more coming out when I exhale, and I'm getting higher. Either the Q is mo' magic, or this bud is mo' magic. Or both.

Rocket J Squirrel,

GetHighLikePlanes

Yeah, I'm not sure how people are getting vapor at 170C. As I stated before I use 374F to 455F which is 190C and 235C respectively, but I'm still experimenting. I change temps on the fly to get every last little bit of THC. Thanks for explaining what an elbow pack is; I tried it and didn't notice any real benefit, but please share more temperatures that work for you, methods of conserving and getting higher :ko:. Thanks!

GetHighLikePlanes,

davebart

With my E I would take what was in the elbow and throw the vaped elbow bud into the cyclone bowl and then fill the elbow with fresh the next time I sat down to vape. So then I would have partially vaped in the cyclone and fresh in the elbow. I usually warm up my E for 15 min at 220C then drop it down and stay between 190c to 210c at the most. After that round the same routine goes, take whats in the cyclone bowl and put it in my vaped herbs jar for cookies and then take the recently used elbow herb and place it in the cyclone. This works well to ensure ur not missing anything at those temps from the previous herb but also you get that fresh herb taste...

I dunno just something I do...

How much herbs do u suggest it would take to fill a nice thick bag? I know there are alot of variables but what would be peoples average amount?

davebart,

hereatlast

Keep the comparisons coming!

Obviously I can't compare as I don't have the Q but my biggest questions are beginning to get answered (e.g. how do the units compare in the vapor they deliver?). I too would expect that the Q, with a somewhat different temperature reading than the v3, won't deliver the same vapor the v3 does at the same temperatures.

One of the major criticisms that I've heard about the Extreme as a whole (any of the versions) is that it doesn't deliver the same thick vapor that a whip-based unit would. With my v3 the elbow pack seems to do just fine; I guess my biggest question to those comparing the v3 to the Q would still be, do you get thicker/thinner vapor with the Q than achievable with the v3? I'm sure that the recent development of the Q may make it easier/nicer to use (quieter fan, 'fixed' flickering light, display/aesthetics improve) but I'm curious if its a better unit on the basis of the vapor it produces.

hereatlast,

the electrician

youve just got to set it up a little differently for the really thick hits, like this for example:
shitp.jpg

hits as big as you can handlei like to fill the "wand" with weed to collect resin, gives the last few bowls of your stash super powers. sometimes i toy with the idea of selling it all and getting a vhw and a sweet bong, but who knows

the electrician,

LOCKSTOCK93

I don't know whether the Extreme Q produces better vapor than the Extreme Classic, but I've had an Extreme Q for two days and a Da Buddah Vaporizer for a few months so I can offer this.

The Q has a smaller draw tube than the DBV and that may affect the amount of vapor arriving in your mouth at a given time, thereby reducing the flavour....but that hasn't been my experience.

Using the bag system with the Q set at 220C and the fan on 1, i've had thick vapor.

The BUD that i've vaped with the Q has been, if anything, a touch darker than the remnants of my DBV vaping. Additionally, the wand/whip unit on the DBV inserts horizontally and, even a slight tug in the wrong direction results in the wand slipping out of the DBV, spilling your green and burning anything that the very hot end of the want comes in contact with.

The Q may not be the bagging equivalent of the Volcano, but it doesn't cost 600$, either, and there are other factors.

When I was deciding which Vaporizer to purchase, i did a little research, but the deciding factor in my choice of the Extreme Q was this:

I ran into a friend i hadn't seen since July. When last we met, it was right around when he got his Volcano vaporizer, but previous to my acquiring the Da Buddha and realizing the extraordinary experience that is Vaping(I was an ignorant troglodyte, burning my delicious green and thinking that i knew better).

Anyway, I didn't try out the Volcano then so, when I ran into my buddy again, i asked if he'd like to hit the smoky slopes(volcano), but he said..."I'd love to, but i'm out of bags."

The utter disappointment of having "the best herb utilizer money can buy" and not being able to use it...well, i knew then and there that whichever unit i purchased would have to have a whip as well as bag capability. GO LEAFS!

LOCKSTOCK93,

Rocket J Squirrel

I need help with glassware terminology. I are a newbie to this.

The cyclone bowl part has females on both ends. These are called _____ ?

The male end of the elbow (plugs into the cyclone bowl) is called _____ ?

Rocket J Squirrel,
Top Bottom