Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Hell Yeah

Votes: 55 64.0%
  • No, thank you

Votes: 12 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nonamekevin

Is it possible to use the elev8r like a sticky brick and hit it while ur torching? Using a smaller torch of course..

I am considering the rig kit with a nice bong but the big torch kinda turns me off
using 2 small honest torches works great, 45 seconds, aiming at the dimples (just let your elev8r sit on a bubbler and torch it each side... each torch different side..)
just rememeber sometimes you will need to purge these torches from air, you will notice that you can't fill them to the end
plus, you will need to fill them sooner than Blazer torch fill... but it's great experience..

for using like sticky brick you still will need 30 seconds of torching without inahing at all

GoldenBud is right on about the two honest torches. I've used a triple flame lighter and gotten okay hits, but it feels like I have to heat for a long time, and it runs out quickly.

With your sticky brick question, do you mean point the flame in the intake of the elev8r heater and inhale directly off that? If so, you could, but it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the elev8r, which is to heat the glass and draw air through it, not inhale the heat directly from a flame.

:rockon:

valleysquirrel

Thanks for the replies! bigger torch seems like the way to go.. but yeah I was talking about inhaling from the flame.

Been seeing some cool diy butane vape ideas on reddit, just the ‘bowl’ and a heat intake sitting on a bong/bubbler

the rig kit is just a nice lil package that will save me a couple minutes searching for similar parts ya know

im thinking I will pick one up to mess around with either way

thanks again

west-elec

The elev8r wouldnt work as a sticky brick type direct intake, side entry hole and dimples means your flame would get broken up too much.
Definitely get a nice big torch, they are loud but much quicker and easier to read the glow colour of the glass than long heating with small torches. Once you get experienced you don't need to count and can tell from the colour of the glowing glass exactly when it is ready. Perfect temp every time.

davap84

Actually, talking about glowing, i have read quartz glowing was harder to interpret than boro.
What is you reading method with quartz ?
I use a random big camping torch. Usually, i stop at orange with blue tail. Is it okay for you ? (i don't count seconds)

davap84,

west-elec

Actually, talking about glowing, i have read quartz glowing was harder to interpret than boro.
What is you reading method with quartz ?
I use a random big camping torch. Usually, i stop at orange with blue tail. Is it okay for you ? (i don't count seconds)

It may have been me that said that. Perhaps it is just that I was used to the boro having used it for over a year before I got the quartz. So the quartz maybe just has a different colour at that sweet spot temp range, and I would have to relearn when to stop. Quartz didn't seem to glow so clearly but I didn't persist with it long enough to really say. It became my coil unit and I keep the boro for torching. I'm sure with a bit of practice only using the quartz you would be able to get a system.
I get a nice solid orange glow, stop before cherry red, then confirm by holding the heater a few inches away from my cheek. If I feel it as a nice steady heat she is good to go, if a searing heat you have gone to far, wait a few secs and check again. The cheek feel becomes second nature and you do it instinctively after awhile.
Counting is the main reason many don't fully appreciate the elev8r, too variable and so are the results. I reckon our bodies inbuilt temp sensors are better an any digital temp device. Visual radiation colour vs temp is very accurate and skin thermal response gives good backup.

Taz German

Prall durch's All!
Hi folks. I'm thinking of getting one of these beasts.
But I'm not really sure what the general recommendations are for all glass or with metal screen? All I know is that the all glass is apparently a bit more restricted in airflow. Any hints or advice about preferences would be great.

davap84

It may have been me that said that. Perhaps it is just that I was used to the boro having used it for over a year before I got the quartz. So the quartz maybe just has a different colour at that sweet spot temp range, and I would have to relearn when to stop. Quartz didn't seem to glow so clearly but I didn't persist with it long enough to really say. It became my coil unit and I keep the boro for torching. I'm sure with a bit of practice only using the quartz you would be able to get a system.
I get a nice solid orange glow, stop before cherry red, then confirm by holding the heater a few inches away from my cheek. If I feel it as a nice steady heat she is good to go, if a searing heat you have gone to far, wait a few secs and check again. The cheek feel becomes second nature and you do it instinctively after awhile.
Counting is the main reason many don't fully appreciate the elev8r, too variable and so are the results. I reckon our bodies inbuilt temp sensors are better an any digital temp device. Visual radiation colour vs temp is very accurate and skin thermal response gives good backup.
Oh, yes ! Indeed, it's you, i remember NOW the cheek story.
I'll try this. Manys thanks.

nonamekevin

But I'm not really sure what the general recommendations are for all glass or with metal screen? All I know is that the all glass is apparently a bit more restricted in airflow. Any hints or advice about preferences would be great.
I have the metal screen version. From those who have said they use the glass version, it seems like it might clog up a bit faster and is more difficult to clean. It's easy to take a metal screen out and throw a new one in. I'm sure someone with direct experience will chime in.

Warpdrive

I use plenty of vapes with screens without issues. Was a chamber pipe smoker and bong ripper so I'm very used to screens. But you'll have to pry my all glass screen bowl away from my cold dead hands. I use the bowl in a 14F to 18m adapter for my 18F water pipe. I have the Elev8 metal keck clip attached as a handle and just hold it under very hot running water to clean the bowl. A quick shake in iso is almost never necessary this way but doesn't hurt once it's not grungy.

Warpdrive,
Reactions: west-elec

nonamekevin

I use plenty of vapes with screens without issues. Was a chamber pipe smoker and bong ripper so I'm very used to screens. But you'll have to pry my all glass screen bowl away from my cold dead hands. I use the bowl in a 14F to 18m adapter for my 18F water pipe. I have the Elev8 metal keck clip attached as a handle and just hold it under very hot running water to clean the bowl. A quick shake in iso is almost never necessary this way but doesn't hurt once it's not grungy.
What's crackin warp, hope you're doing well. So you prefer the glass elev8r over the metal screen version? Do you grind a little more coarse?

nonamekevin,

Warpdrive

What's crackin warp, hope you're doing well. So you prefer the glass elev8r over the metal screen version? Do you grind a little more coarse?

No I grind my normal med, but hand torn or fine works great too. I wouldn't even waste my time testing out the screen bowl to see what I like best. The glass is just a pleasure to use and clean up is silly easy.
Yes I'm doing well. I just got the last MI3 till next year, so I'm playing more with that right now.

I def play with screens... For stem packing of the MI3

west-elec

Biggest difference between screen and all glass is how dirty your glass bong and water gets. The all glass lets lots more particules through, so bottom of bowl and rig will get dirty fast. Many incl. me accept that trade off for all glass flavour but we are probably being snobs, guaranteed I couldn't tell the diff in a blind taste test.
Like @Warpdrive says cleanup isn't really hard with either but glass you'll be doing it more often.

El Rawn Hubbard

I think 'more than perfect' is too generous. Whilst the performance is fine, the shape of the steel screen bowl is lame. Why not have something that captures the screen so it doesn't move around?

I like using an EQ bowl. The extra headspace seems reduce the likelihood of scorching the top of the large, coarse loads that I generally have in the Elev8R. The EQ bowl holds a screen properly, has better airflow and is easier to clean too.

nonamekevin

I think 'more than perfect' is too generous. Whilst the performance is fine, the shape of the steel screen bowl is lame. Why not have something that captures the screen so it doesn't move around?

I like using an EQ bowl. The extra headspace seems reduce the likelihood of scorching the top of the large, coarse loads that I generally have in the Elev8R. The EQ bowl holds a screen properly, has better airflow and is easier to clean too.
Are you talking about the cyclone bowl? Pic of your setup?

nonamekevin,
Reactions: arb

El Rawn Hubbard

sorry, don't have pics but yeah, just a normal cyclone bowl.

I removed the heatshrink, but if you wanted to keep it, put the screen in the other side and have the sleeve on the bottom so it doesn't get torched.

El Rawn Hubbard,
Reactions: arb

davap84

stop before cherry red, then confirm by holding the heater a few inches away from my cheek. If I feel it as a nice steady heat she is good to go, if a searing heat you have gone to far, wait a few secs and check again. The cheek feel becomes second nature and you do it instinctively after awhile.
The idea seemed excellent.
But i have a big beard. I tried. It's not for me.

Therapy

west-elec

So I bit the bullet and ordered this setup.

A few posts higher there is talk about the Arizer Q bowl, does anyone know of any other compatible bowls with the Elev8r?
New Terp Torch bowl is nice but you can't get them anymore. The FP shovelhead ti bowl fits too, but not the glass version.
I think the elev8r bowls are about the best you can get.

Therapy

New Terp Torch bowl is nice but you can't get them anymore. The FP shovelhead ti bowl fits too, but not the glass version.
I think the elev8r bowls are about the best you can get.
That's what I thought. Only problem is I can't find any of their bowls separate here in Europe.

Therapy,

GoldenBud

Top Bottom