The Bud Toaster - (currently: Model 14, version 3)

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
.asm is what C code gets turned into by the compiler. All computer languages are equivalent, but .asm can be the more efficient in use of program space. And with only 2k words of program memory, you need to be efficient.

Easily converted? Sure, but why bother? Just learn the assembly language for the PIC -- there's only 35 instructions. It makes a lot more sense then C.

i like to use macros to write algorithms in a more English-like form. So lines of code that don't look like PIC instructions are macros - found in the Macro.asm file.

C also has macros. Very powerful abstraction technique.

my code is very heavily commented -- 43 pages of text for 1000 words of program -- i can be wordy, in case you hadn't noticed. i can touch type 100 words per minure or so, pretty much stream of consciousness output -- and it doesn't really feel like i'm in verbal mode. Makes it hard when the phone rings -- i can't do much more than just grunt at the caller. But if i'm in verbal mode, i just can't shut the fuck up.

Hippie Dickie,

Egzoset

Banned
A modified version put under direct control of a plain-vanilla PC (via USB) would do just fine but then that wouldn't be THE Bud Toaster project anymore i guess...

Egzoset,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
So this thing uses 800 watts of power at 20 volts? There must be a typo. Perhaps you meant 4 amps at 20 volts?

Hippie Dickie said:
Voltage must be in the range 6 VDC to 20 VDC.

The maximum current it will try to draw is 12 Amps at 6 VDC and 40 Amps at 20 VDC.

The AVERAGE current to maintain SETPOINT temperature will be about 15% of that, but if it can't pull at least 1.8 amps, performance will be out of spec.

The Merlot is making me think this is wrong. For example, the 16awg cable is a current limiter, so i'm not really sure how much amps is enough. The statement about maximum current is right. Voltage range depends on the Vreg supplying power to the chips. It's hard to find a "low drop out" Vreg with a high top end. The MOSFET is good to 30 Volts, 80 Amps. But 30 volts would fry the Vreg.

elmomuzz,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@budballer - i don't know anything about the arduino processor, but if it uses the same instruction set as the PIC, there would be copyright/patent violation. So, no, can't do that. Maybe conversion to the arduino instruction set is simple, i simply don't know. And you'd have to verify the i/o ports are the same, that there is an A-to-D on one of the pins to read the buttons, etc. Exercise left to the reader.

Is the desire to switch to arduino based on price? By the way, the PIC costs $1.20 in single quantities.

@Egzoset - doing a USB controlled vaporizer sounds like a nice project for you. i have no idea how you're going to get the thermocouple readings out to the PC over USB. i also don't know why you would want to even do that. A PC costs a lot more than $1.20 USD.

@elmomuzz - the heater coil is a resistor of 0.5 ohms. According to Ohm's law, e=i*r, or i= e/r, so i (current in amps) = e (voltage) / r (resistance), so i = 20 / .5 = 40 amps. That's the current draw by the coil. The current flow is chopped by the PWM (pulse width modulator) 250 times per second. So, the AVERAGE current flow is much less than 40 amps, but in each 1/250th of a second when the PWM is "on", the coil is sucking 40 amps (with 20 vDC input).

Hippie Dickie,

Egzoset

Banned
Don't worry too much about the hardware Hippie Dickie, chances are i'm not the one who will solve such problems!

:brow:

Anyway, since you ask, i guess the USB signal can be translated to one of the old fashion serial standards and then serial to parallel conversion becomes an option (and hence there would be enough lines for my own pupose). I'm thinking why not just use the parallel port of a vintage PC, actually (i have plenty of those)... But yet, that wouldn't lead to appropriate discussions for the present thread. Sorry.

;)

Euh... Now that i think of it i might prefer going BlueTooth, to be honest!

:cool:

Egzoset,

budballer

sorry i just dont know where to get all of the electronics youve obtained, etching bread board, fets, PIC, etc...

budballer,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i buy everything online at various internet web stores ... search and you shall find. That's what i did ... that's my value-add and why the Bud Toaster from me costs $350 or $500 with batteries.

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
There you go!

i made the first dozen printed circuit boards using a kit from Radio Shack and using a laser printer and ironing the pattern onto the circuit boards. Drill and etch and you have a pcb. Now that i verified my pattern is correct (except for placement of a pad or two), it's only factory made for me.

Next step will be getting them stuffed with components. They can even program the PIC.

Hippie Dickie,

Egzoset

Banned
I love stuffing PC Boards, you can send them to me with the electronic parts if you want!

:brow:

Egzoset,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
you have a reflow oven to do two-sided surface mount??

Actually, a Bud Toaster could control the oven to produce the temperature profile required.

Hippie Dickie,

budballer

haha nice^ do you use a reflow? or a soldering station? it seems do-able with a fine tipped iron

budballer,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
it seems do-able with a fine tipped iron

Definitely. That's what i use. But i wouldn't outsource to that technology ... it would have to be robotic pick and place, and then automated oven soldering.

Hippie Dickie,

budballer

Q1 3.3v Standard Regulator L78L33ACUTR
Q2 MOSFET (Fairchild) FDB6030BL
D1 Snub Diode VB30100S
PIC 12F683 PIC12F683-E/P
S1 8-pin DIP socket ultra-low profile 115-93-308-41-003000
Q3 Green LED 3.3v, 370 mcd MV8411
Q4 Blue LED 3.3V, 430 mcd MV8B01
Q5 Red LED 3.3v, 930 mcd MV8112
R1, R2, R3 3* 160 ohm (LEDs), 1%, 1/10 watt RK73H1JTTD1600F
R4, R9, R10 3* 1K ohm (FET, BTN1,2) RK73H1JTTDD1001F
R5, R6, R7, R8 4* 330 ohm (MAX6675) RK73H1JTTD3300F
R11, R12 2* 2K ohm (BTN3, base) RK73H1JTTD2001F
B1, B2, B3 tactile switch (Mountain Switch) 101-0464-EV

and, of course, the MAX6675.

Is this still the same list of pieces you used? im gonna try it out and bread board it, see if i can get it to work

budballer,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Is this still the same list of pieces you used?

No. Q1 (vReg) is now 4.5v. Q2 is different. Don't need D1 (built into Q2). Surface mount - don't need S1. Q3, Q4, and Q5 are different. R1, R2, R3 are different. That list is way out of date.

Basically, throw out that list and go by the schematic -- which is up to date. i'll update the parts list some day.

Hippie Dickie,

budballer

hahaha okay gotcha, ill do some research and try my best to decipher the harder bits.

budballer,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Parts List for Model 14 version 1

Item Manufacturer ID
12F683 579-PIC12F683-E/SN
LE45AB 497-1530-1-ND
MAX6675 700-MAX6675ISA
MOSFET 512-FDB8832
15 Ohm Resistor 660-RK73H1JTTD15R0F
220 Ohm Resistor 660-RK73H1JTTD2200F
1K Ohm Resistor 660-RK73H1JTTD1001F
2K Ohm Resistor 660-RK73H1JTTD2001F
3.9K Ohm Resistor 660-RK73H1JTTD3901F
10uf Capacitor 399-4925-1-ND
0.1uf Capacitor 80-C0603C104J3R
Red LED APTD3216SRCPRV
Green LED APTD3216CGCK
Blue LED APTD3216PBC/A
SPST Switch 101-0264-EV
K-type Thermocouple EW-08419-02
Digital Thermometer custom China part
Battery LR44
Nichrome-80 16ga
PTFE 28awg .013"
PCB
A123Systems ANR26650M1
Charger (6A) CH-LFP32V6A
Deans Male Plug L5HGL912
Deans Female Socket L5KX3806
Deans 16ga wire LXWUR7
Wire mesh sleeve
1/8" dia x 2" extruded acrylic rod
Dip-It
Tweezers
Toothpicks
Wood Disc
Wood Block
Case
Borosilicate Tube 15mm x 38mm custom India part
Borosilicate Vial 12mm x 35mm
Borosilicate Tube 12mm x 100mm
solder
flux

Sorry for the formatting ... FC is throwing away tabs.

Hippie Dickie,

budballer

wow thankyou so much!

hmm cant seem to find the spst switches or mosfet in stock anywhere though :/ alternatives..?

budballer,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
exercise left to the reader ... (you're doing it wrong).

edit: Okay, it appears the FDB8832 is now obsolete, being replaced by FDB8832_F085, which is not yet available. Good thing i got a bunch last order.

When i need to reup my supply i'll update the parts list with whatever i find that has the same performance specifications at the time i order.

Hippie Dickie,

budballer

to use FDB8832_F085 will any other resistors or anything really need to be changed?

budballer,
Top Bottom