• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Valo500

Also, where can I get the right balls? I don't want to ruin my new baby. I am really impressed with the stock unit and it's now my go-to. I was mainly using my Lotus, which I still love, but the SSV is as smooth and flavorful with about twice the vape power on low!

mr_shady

Sorry I have no Idea. I just got my SSV off their second-hand store on eBay. I'm blown away by it and I don't know how I could even handle the glass bead mod. What is the wand that you are using? Is the spherical cover the one to use if you do try the beads and is that spherical wand the best option?

Nice I brought my ssv off ebay too. Only paid $100 for it brand new :p I'm just using ddave wand, however, all mention of ddave dbv/ssv mods have disappeared from his site and on here. Makes me think something went down? Looks like there's a few new mods like glass balls that have popped up in the last year or so that I need to look more into hard to imagine there's can be even more improvements. Ddave mod is already fire! :D

mr_shady,

mr_shady

What was the Ddave mod?

Basically they are wands created by ddave. He designed them so herb ends up being about an inch closer the the heater and utilizing bucket screens so no pain in the ass changing or cleaning like with regular screens haha. The mod is ingenious really and is a complete game changer. I would go as far as to say it's a must have accessory for dbv/ssv, like they should come with them stock. There was a big thread on here and many happy ddavemod owners, however, all info for ddavemod for dbv/ssv has mysteriously been scrubbed from the net. So odd!..

mr_shady,
Reactions: DDave

mr_shady

I have the spherical wand and I can't imagine being closer. So it is for micro dosing?

IMG-20200830-162803.jpg

IMG-20200830-162848.jpg

There's a 14mm wand and adapter as well but I don't use them. :p I guess the spherical wand with the different heater cover would be about the same distance from the heating element? Spherical wand still looks like it would be a pain in the ass the clean though! :lol:

mr_shady,

Valo500

There's a 14mm wand and adapter as well but I don't use them. :p I guess the spherical wand with the different heater cover would be about the same distance from the heating element? Spherical wand still looks like it would be a pain in the ass the clean though! :lol:

I have only had it a few days but I don't see why it would be difficult to clean. I have some of those baskets for a stempod so they may be too small for your wand, but I hate cleaning them too. I don't know if your wand would work on my spherical cover but it looks like I would have to turn the heat down because it would be too close if not go straight through to the element, probably not? I am really enjoying this thing coming from my Lotus. I was afraid it would be too hot but it works perfectly!

Valo500,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Basically they are wands created by ddave. He designed them so herb ends up being about an inch closer the the heater and utilizing bucket screens so no pain in the ass changing or cleaning like with regular screens haha. The mod is ingenious really and is a complete game changer. I would go as far as to say it's a must have accessory for dbv/ssv, like they should come with them stock. There was a big thread on here and many happy ddavemod owners, however, all info for ddavemod for dbv/ssv has mysteriously been scrubbed from the net. So odd!..
Greetings @mr_shady

Thanks for the kind words about the previous kit! The new kit is based on same extraction technology, with updated pieces.

Just had time to finish up listing a new offering for the 7th floor vapes!

Listing is here. https://www.ddavemods.com/store/p11..._SSV_Mod_Kit_-_with_Concentrates_support.html

Enjoy!
Dave

SquirrelMaster

Has anyone done the ball mod with 4mm balls? I have a bunch headed my way to use in the Elev8r so I'm considering using them on an SSV but I don't have one in hand to measure. There was a forum member on 420vapezone that mentioned 4mm quartz balls I just hadn't seen that size mentioned anywhere else.

I found a new fancy SSV local for $250 CDN and I'm weak with VAS :lol:.

FrostedHedgehog

I am new to desktop vapes and have only used portables so far. Would the SSV43 be a good place to start? I am fairly hesitant with reports of dust/explosions/cracks/micro scratches. Could a user who has been using the SSV43 with success without any issues provide a link to where they got their beads/pearls?

FrostedHedgehog,

SquirrelMaster

I couldn't resist, it was love at first sight :love: . I took these quick pics before I cleaned it up. There is so much going on in the artwork, I'm having fun staring at it while I get absolutely wrecked.

I immediately did the mod with 2 RBT screens and tried loading in some 4mm balls which don't fully encase the heater, more like 3 vertical rows with a space on the fresh air side. Further towards the top the ceramic element is fully covered. I'm looking at 3mm or even 2mm balls but no luck in small quantities. Still though, with the dial at noon and a short heat soak I am pumping out vapor! The ritual of the SSV is a lot of fun with the spherical cover and twisting and turning as you inhale. I'm loving all the glass, it feels very clean. So far I am very glad I added this to my collection.

I am new to desktop vapes and have only used portables so far. Would the SSV43 be a good place to start? I am fairly hesitant with reports of dust/explosions/cracks/micro scratches. Could a user who has been using the SSV43 with success without any issues provide a link to where they got their beads/pearls?

The problem I'm having finding 3mm boro beads is that any source I trust deals with 1lb packages (12000+ beads) and charges a lot. Real borosilicate shouldn't cause any issues where as with the quartz beads there are varying degrees (grades) of Quartz.

I did just find this source this afternoon https://www.thermalscientific.com/p...s/borosilicate-beads/borosilicate-glass-beads but they don't ship to Canada. The price is really good, in fact they're much cheaper than other places offering Walter Sterns Borosilicate balls. Someone should buy these and sell 300 for $10 plus shipping (like Vapecritic was doing) and they'll make a tidy profit. There's 12000 balls in a package. If there is any takers shoot me a PM :D.

JEMSKU

Wow, that art is something else! Was it just a selection on their site or is it custom?

I recently got my hands on a pre-modded SSV in slightly rough condition, I'm considering holding onto the mod and upgrading to a fully custom SSV, it's a slick vape and if you go balls to the wall on customizing, it can look really great.

JEMSKU,
Reactions: arb

SquirrelMaster

Wow, that art is something else! Was it just a selection on their site or is it custom?

I recently got my hands on a pre-modded SSV in slightly rough condition, I'm considering holding onto the mod and upgrading to a fully custom SSV, it's a slick vape and if you go balls to the wall on customizing, it can look really great.
This was a wave rider custom named Why, Piggie?! Why? #10 that the shop had ordered in in 2012 according to the paper work! I didn't see the date until now lol. There is a similar one on their Instagram with a different knob and a plain base http://instagr.am/p/B1uZWaDgjR8/
Yeah looking at their glass I know I'll be buying something to customize mine even more. Between the knobs, mouthpieces, wands and tubing alone there are so many combinations available! Lots of heady stuff and I've been craving some heady additions to my collection.

It's funny how an old design like this with a little MacGyvering courtesy of @ohmygodimsohigh turns this into one of, if not the hardest hitting devices out there. This is something special for sure.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Hey y'all. I just ordered an ssv from elev8's factory second market on ebay (200$ new after tax and shipping!) and i have some 3mm glass balls my friend used in his ditanium. But i don't have the screens not do i know where i may find the screens. Can someone with the ssv43 mod link me to the screens they used for theirs please?

Valo500

I think the basket for the lower intake is 14mm and the top is just a large screen. I am sure any SS screen would work but you just need to fold or squeeze it into shape. Where do I get the beads?

Alexis

Shoot @DDave a note and he will respond.
Once again, your Oracle, psychic premontion came true just as you had envisaged! :D

Sorry guys, that is all I can offer in this thread,,until circumstances enable me to get my pristine, gifted SSV repaired.

The 1st person who repaired it....did something wrong. An electrician we know may assist, just slow slow surviving over here lol!

I HOPE I can tolerate the SSV and contribute here, there is so much Enthusiasm in this thread..

And it is very worth keeping in mind that one long term incredibly experienced vaporizer medical fanatists, @Vitolo after decades of EVERY device, serving the community honestly and unbiassed, STILL really rates his SSV.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Hey y'all. I just ordered an ssv from elev8's factory second market on ebay (200$ new after tax and shipping!) and i have some 3mm glass balls my friend used in his ditanium. But i don't have the screens not do i know where i may find the screens. Can someone with the ssv43 mod link me to the screens they used for theirs please?
I used an RBT basket screen on the bottom hole and a similar shaped screen but without the hard rim at the top. It works for now but I'll change the top screen for sure so it's more secure and possibly the botton to allow for more room by the heater. Depends on what you have lying around. I had bought some larger screens for the top when I bought my SSV but then I couldn't find them and was impatient after I looked all over. They were in the back pocket of the SSV case :doh:. The SSV has been hot a lot since I got it :freak: so these are ther best pics I have at the moment.

The top picture may look like there's a gap for balls to come out but it's just the glass distorting the image. Everything is very secure.

Someone posted a picture of a flat screen they used over the bottom hole with a piece of wire wrapped around the glass to secure it. I like that idea if it's nice and secure so there's more room for balls.

firstmovement

I just used the screen that came with the SSV wand. 20.8mm I think? Yellow pack. Works fine. You need to wedge it in against the balls so they don’t move around. If they do, it will choke the unit. For the smaller holeI just used a slightly smaller screen or you can use another one from the SSV kit. Just form a rim by hand and push the mushroom with a tool from behind after you place it in the hole.

If you want better fitting screens for looks thats cool but if someone is waiting I would use those.

The links people give out just get sold out. I got mine from ebay. 200 count Si3N4 SIN balls 3mm for $44. They are still available.

Thanks to Troy for this awesome mod!!! I crank it up and finally get those full vapor hits on much shorter pulls which is what I’ve been looking for.

Last edited:

Valo500

What kind of beads are you using and where do I get them?
I just used the screen that came with the SSV wand. 20.8mm I think? Yellow pack. Works fine. You need to wedge it in against the balls so they don’t move around. If they do, it will choke the unit. For the smaller holeI just used a slightly smaller screen or you can use another one from the SSV kit. Just form a rim by hand and push the mushroom with a tool from behind after you place it in the hole.

If you want better fitting screens for looks thats cool but if someone is waiting I would use those.

The links people give out just get sold out. I got mine from ebay. 200 count Si3N4 SIN balls 3mm for $44. They are still available.

Thanks to Troy for this awesome mod!!! I crank it up and finally get those full vapor hits on much shorter pulls which is what I’ve been looking for.

"Si3N4 SIN balls 3mm" is that a ceramic ball bearing? It comes up as a ball bearing on Amazon that is a silicon ceramic. It looks fine to me but I don't know if that works.

Top Bottom