Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
bongoman said:
Thanks for the info re exotic timbers Max - good to know.

I can't see myself adding silicone or Tygon tubing to my PD mouthpieces. I do find that I like to have a glass of water handy however when having a bowl.
i cant see myself not having that tubing :/ diffint stokes fo diffent fokles...ahahhah im roasty! :ko:

Hennessy1414,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
Hennessy1414 said:
bongoman said:
Thanks for the info re exotic timbers Max - good to know.

I can't see myself adding silicone or Tygon tubing to my PD mouthpieces. I do find that I like to have a glass of water handy however when having a bowl.
i cant see myself not having that tubing :/ diffint stokes fo diffent fokles...ahahhah im roasty! :ko:
i like the tubing, but sometimes i really want the hot lungsplitting hits, a glass of water is a must with that as bongoman pointed out though
an extra foot of vapor path does wonders for the temperature though im going to try putting my bong on a coffee warmer so the water is warm and the air will be nice and moist and warm, cold water doesnt do that much for me than just the tubing does

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vibes1952

Hi Guys,

Been away for awhile. I really liked coming back and having
page after page of new PD experiences.

I now have a 2nd PD. I had the Cherry and now got the She-Oak,
nice job Tom. It's not as orange as it appears in photos (that's a good thing).
It's really nice. I'll try and get a pic out.

I do have a question about the buzz butter. I find it so hard. How are others
getting it out of the tin and applying it to the wood?

vibes1952,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
vibes1952 said:
Hi Guys,

Been away for awhile. I really liked coming back and having
page after page of new PD experiences.

I now have a 2nd PD. I had the Cherry and now got the She-Oak,
nice job Tom. It's not as orange as it appears in photos (that's a good thing).
It's really nice. I'll try and get a pic out.

I do have a question about the buzz butter. I find it so hard. How are others
getting it out of the tin and applying it to the wood?
flame on butter then a quick dab of the finger...make sure your unit is on and HOT! :brow:

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
A small putty knife, or something in the shape of a small slot screwdriver works well to scrape/shave some out of the tin to be transferred onto the warm PD for application. It melts into the wood nicely using a paper towel. That Buzz Butter sure is some awesome stuff. :buzz: :D

Man this thread moves fast! Hi there, #808. Cool info on the woods, and nice review spiral. I see more people are stocking up on PDs. :brow:

Edit: \/ nice post below, I want some magic vapor cookie. :D Wonder if you will ever see this edit. :ninja:

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
bongoman said:
Yes - they are both grown in plantations here. Tea Tree is largely grown for the oil which is distilled from the leaves and which has antimicrobial properties. I imagine they harvest the timber as well. I've only got to drive a few minutes and I can be surrounded by Tea Tree plantations.

Blackwood is also grown as a cabinet timber.

I wonder how Australian burls would go - I know a lot of woodturners here use them to make distinctive bowls etc
Wow that is so cool. It's kinda neat to know your living by where my PD potentially came from. It's like we are vicariously getting high together out through wood.... or something... :ko: How often do you go out their? Is the 'forest' called something? I wanna look it up online.... I just love this wood.

Purple-Days said:
Tea tree wood doesn't have the smell of tea tree oil though. Chime in owners, please.
It smells like Buzzbutter to me. Lovely, if I do say so myself..... I know what tea tree oil and it doesn't have that smell, I can tell you that much.

Purple-Days said:
1 in 5, wasn't there a Doors song ? ...
Ohhhhh man, one of my favorites! Five to one babyyy one to fiveee no onee hereee gets out alivee
A lot of people don't like Waiting for the Sun but I think it's a great album. Spanish Caravan is a favorite of mine..... if I ever pick up guitar, I want to learn that song.....for the ladies.

max,

that is awesome dude... I'm so glad I found out about this forum from you.... It introduced me to my inner-vapor. What a joy to now have two beautiful babies in the house! :brow: I'm sure Tom will treat her with care....

:2c: When my mouth gets dry, I find I am hitting it too hard.

And Hennessy1414, I've never gotten scoobs from the Purple-Days. If it's a fine dust, I could see that happening.

I do like your idea about loading up all the tubes at once. It seems like an easy way to manage how much your vaping. It's hard to keep count after 2 bowls... :p I'll have to try that some time.... I have 5 tubes, so 5(days in a week) x 5(tubes) = 25 tubes a week. Wow, math is cool. So is vapor cookie pie.

edit./// Wow this thread is hot tonight. haha

As for Buzz butter, I use a coin since I always have one laying around, just scoop some up and use a hankerchief to buffer it. I love the shine and smell afterward.

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
It's kind of funny to see the new interest in adding tubing or water filtering to the PD, and not in a bad way. I remember around when I first got into vaping with the SSV, I loved it but soon loved it even more with a new ice chamber for the cooler moister vapor.

Before using the PD I wondered if it might be harsh with its very short vapor path and my sensitive lungs. After 3 months of daily use the answer for me is no. Then again, if you're hitting a bowl 7 times I'm sure it'd get a little drying. Especially with the efficient little PD bowls I reload when the green is gone- cleaner, smoother, tastier. Into the brownie mix with the leftovers :D

Not to run to the PD's defense again, just wanted to put that out there for a contrast. Also max mentioned he likes the I-inhale with a length of tubing, but apparently not needed with the PD. With continued use I'm sure you guys will get to know your instrument better (I like that musical instrument analogy), for me, even though my first hit on the PD resulted in a big cloud, I feel I'm a lot better with it now. What a fun thing to practice. :)

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yeah, I tried tubing before too. I don't know..... I guess I am sooo use to using tubing, the small 'straw' was a nice change. It worked really well and helped me get the hang of it.

edit// and yea i saw the edit, haha thanks.... they are really good. I got 2 big pieces left. ;)

I'm getting some hash this weekend.... gonna be the first go around of that in the PD (wand hash is different). I'm actually really excited. :D

Zzzz Time that cookie annihilated me :lol:

SpiralArchitect,

UrutuBsb

Maconheiro
SpiralArchitect said:
...I'm getting some hash this weekend.... gonna be the first go around of that in the PD (wand hash is different). I'm actually really excited. :D

Zzzz Time that cookie annihilated me :lol:
Let us know about it later. :brow:

UrutuBsb,

max

Out to lunch
Purple-Days said:
I think a 60-70 SG +/- a couple of points is ideal, lower than 60, depending on the grain structure might be unsuitable. Over 70 might be getting toward the dense side and transmit too much.
That's interesting Tom. I hope I didn't go too low on SG with the Pyinma (I have the urge to name this one 'Curly'-I always did love the Stooges).

I have always thought that 20% waste in fine woodwork was expected, others will argue. Even in Cherry, which is pretty even, we get units (blocks, and later, turned pieces, and later bored pieces) that don't make it.

Not crying, just exposing the struggles. 1 in 5, wasn't there a Doors song ? ...
Now don't get me to worrying about rejection percentages. :uhoh:

The Legend of the 13 Volt Transformer
Since the higher voltage makes for a hotter running unit, I wonder if the 13V unit could bring a denser wood up to par? What do you think Tom?

bongoman said:
I can't see myself adding silicone or Tygon tubing to my PD mouthpieces.
Me neither, but I find the idea of a longer tube intriguing. Tom, if you put a longer tube on the site as an option, maybe 1" to 2" longer (or both), I bet you'd sell quite a few.
vibes1952 said:
I now have a 2nd PD. I had the Cherry and now got the She-Oak
Looks like we need to start a 'two PD' club vibes. :cool: What prompted your 2nd buy? Just an urge to own another beautiful PD? I blame my wife, but if truth be known, I'd have to own a 2nd one regardless.

SpiralArchitect said:
max, that is awesome dude... I'm so glad I found out about this forum from you.... It introduced me to my inner-vapor. What a joy to now have two beautiful babies in the house!
My pleasure Spiral. I enjoy introducing 'qualified' forum junkies to FC. And with the power this thread seems to have over people, I feel like a 'PD pusher' getting people hooked on this addictive vaporizer. :brow:

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I added 8 inches of whip tubing to a PD stem last night and it worked well. Cooler - denser hits. I agree with Max, longer stems would be a handy option and popular. How about a custom glass stem. CD! :brow:

vaporcloud,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
maybe it is possible , I need to see the original one cause sadly I still dont own a pd vap :disgust:

Clear_Dome,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i dont realy see how glass would go with the pd, a longer tube would be nice, but overall it would be kinda unnececcary if you can just add some tubing to the end of the current one
edit: well i supposed you could contact tom and get some of the bowls (dont change the ss bowl) and then just make ornamented glass tubes that go on the bowls, i dont know how youd fasten it in
an all glass stem wouldnt work, the bowl would be far too delicate

edit2: i just thought of something along those lines, if you could manage to mate the glass and ss, you could make an adapter that is basically a pd bowl on a gg joint, then the bowl would go on a bong and you hold the pd onto the bowl

last night i tried the "mouth bong" technique with really good success, with that you kind of want the air to be hot because it will pull humidity off of the water, basically i just got some water in my mouth, sutck the pd tube under that water, took a huge hit, then swallowed and got a fresh sip of water
i want to try this with various beverages now, mint tea will probably be the first ;)
it was also very fun thinking about the physics behind the heating and cooling of the air, all the excited molecules and energy transfers :cool:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
hahahah, the mouth bong! what a great idea...you're a funny guy AofZ, creative too!

stonemonkey55,

vibes1952

Hi Max,

I got the 2nd one because seeing those exotics and reading some of the other posts I thought I should have spent the extra $ up front and gone for an exotic wood. The She_Oak has a nice smell to it. The grains in the wood are hard to explain and unlike other wood grains I've seen. I do feel a bit more weight on the She-Oak vs the Cherry (could be several factors). But the vapor is the same! :o

Now my problem is that I see that Tom offers the 'custom' PD (if you can find a wood that he will accept/approve of, you ship raw wood to him and he in turn creates a PD, for about the same as a Cherry. You do have the cost of the raw wood and shipping to Tom too). I have been scoping out some of the wood sites/links and there may be a 3rd PD in the future. :2c:

vibes1952,

alcatraz

Those looking for 13V adapters, here are some I found.

A Purple-days draws 8W from a 12V source, so has a resistance of around 17 ohms. That means that it would draw 8.7W from a 13V source, with a current of .76A, or 760mA.

First is for an Apple Stylewriter, supplies 13V through a 5mm center positive plug.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-StyleWrit...ZPrinter_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116\
The current rating on this one is 2.1A, much above the required .76A.

The second is a generic looking power adapter, 13V with a max rated amperage of 800mA, which should be enough to run a PD. It does have a UL logo on there, so (hopefully) that rating is correct.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicore-AC-Pow...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

As Tom said, when your car is running the electrical system in the car operates around 14V. If you want to know what a higher voltage PD would be like, use it in a car with the engine running. With the engine off it is 12V.

alcatraz,

max

Out to lunch
vibes1952 said:
Hi Max,

I got the 2nd one because seeing those exotics and reading some of the other posts I thought I should have spent the extra $ up front and gone for an exotic wood. The She_Oak has a nice smell to it. The grains in the wood are hard to explain and unlike other wood grains I've seen. I do feel a bit more weight on the She-Oak vs the Cherry (could be several factors). But the vapor is the same! :o
Now you've got me wanting to sniff some SheOak. :lol:

Now my problem is that I see that Tom offers the 'custom' PD (if you can find a wood that he will accept/approve of, you ship raw wood to him and he in turn creates a PD, for about the same as a Cherry. You do have the cost of the raw wood and shipping to Tom too). I have been scoping out some of the wood sites/links and there may be a 3rd PD in the future. :2c:
Always room for another PD. :brow: There may be a couple more wood options in the Cherry price range next year too.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
As Tom said, when your car is running the electrical system in the car operates around 14V. If you want to know what a higher voltage PD would be like, use it in a car with the engine running. With the engine off it is 12V.
I have used my PD in the car but never with the motor running. I found no difference in vapor quality or hit size from car v home. But keen to try with the engine running. 14v ahe :tup:

2 bowl wake n bake ... feeliong good! :ko:

vaporcloud,

alcatraz

Well, keep in mind that the PD takes 30 minutes to warm up, so the change in temperature from 12 to 14 volts isn't going to be instant.

alcatraz,

max

Out to lunch
keep in mind that the PD takes 30 minutes to warm up
From a cold start yes, but not when moving from 'ready to go' home use to the car adapter.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
vtac said:
. With continued use I'm sure you guys will get to know your instrument better (I like that musical instrument analogy), for me, even though my first hit on the PD resulted in a big cloud, I feel I'm a lot better with it now. What a fun thing to practice. :)
Me too! Today I learnt that throttling back to 2 PD bowls in the morning instead of 5 :rolleyes: avoids the midday come-down/tiredness. Instead the high is very energetic. Admittidly I'm in a very good mood today and that certainly can be factor into how good the high makes you feel, but really ... for this vaporizer ... less really is more.

:cool:

vaporcloud,

bongoman

Less is more indeed...in an attempt to just play with the efficiency of the PD, I've been packing tiny bowls, literally a few flakes and getting vapor clouds from the tiniest amount. Amazing...

bongoman,
Top Bottom