Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
The shorter ones will run a bit warmer than the longer ones, the longer the distance the vapor has to travel the cooler it will get. Which is why people hook the shorties up to tubing, or use with a bong.

DevoTheStrange,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
you think it would still be usable at about an inch or two without any additional tubing?

HighSti,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
The first inch or so after the bowl is the part of the tubing that warms up. Might be a bit warm on the lips

DevoTheStrange,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
yeah i may just make two normal length ones and a short one to test it out.

EDIT: Just wondering what the wooden box looking thing is on the right side of the picture?

HighSti,

Legendary Blue

I was just looking to learn more about this vaporizer, I'm glad I was pointed to this site/thread. Nice high quality images too.

Legendary Blue,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
HighSti said:
yeah i may just make two normal length ones and a short one to test it out.

EDIT: Just wondering what the wooden box looking thing is on the right side of the picture?
The wooden box is used to glue the bottom leather on. A Clamp.

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

Devo is right, it's a block of cherry wood, and what you see on top of it is the Elk Hide. The block (and shrink wrap) keeps the Elk Hide straight till you are ready to use it. The block has a groove in the bottom and a couple of rubber bands are in there too. This forms the clamp used when you glue the leather on. Block-Leather-Glue-Pandora, rubber bands cold it all together till the glue dries. The block is also a great practice piece if you decide to add any artwork to the Pandora, practice on the block first. ;)

Purple-Days,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
I know i may sound clueless, but after spending a decent amount of time on your website, i still cannot figure out what the round piece of wood is that is packaged next to the hear exchanger sleeve. It has the PD logo. Is it a cap to cover the top of the heat exchanger when not in use or when traveling?

HighSti,

Purple-Days

It is a small tool to use when seating the clip. Something to ramrod the clip home, it has a hole in the center to get over the heat exchanger tube and put even pressure on the clip. We have a shipment of Birch dowel coming, harder and better than what was available here in town.

Update on the drill bit vs. eccentric tubing. Freud Drill bit :mad:. Back to an old bit that works great but is wearing out, while I order one from the same mfg. . . Any body who got one of these first kits... give the sleeve a trial fit in the upper hole. it should be snug but not difficult to start. If it is difficult, stop and give us a shout. Some are going to be fine and fit nicely, some may not. Won't happen again. :cool:

Purple-Days,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Purple-Days said:
Update on the drill bit vs. eccentric tubing. Freud Drill bit :mad:. Back to an old bit that works great but is wearing out, while I order one from the same mfg. . . Any body who got one of these first kits... give the sleeve a trial fit in the upper hole. it should be snug but not difficult to start. If it is difficult, stop and give us a shout. Some are going to be fine and fit nicely, some may not. Won't happen again. :cool:
Glad to hear you found the source of the problem. Hopefully it didnt cause you a lot of hassle and ruined wood. Do the kit units tent to be slightly larger (diameter) then the originals?

HighSti,

Purple-Days

High, check paragraph 2, post #21, page 1. is an explanation of size. ;)

Yep. Not all Forstners are created equal. :uhoh: BTW a Forstner bit is a bit that drill a flat bottom hole. I actually prefer the cheaper, tool steel bits (I have to hand sharpen them) over the carbides (no sharpening). They cut cleaner, but get hotter, and are slower and the sharpening is a pain, but . . . they are better. Has to due with cutting edge, bevel angle, and the outer edges that track better with no center for guidance.

So far feedback on the instructions has been very positive. :)
That's a big relief, anything else can be overcome, bad instructions suck. Ask anybody... ;)

Purple-Days,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Purple-Days said:
High, check paragraph 2, post #21, page 1. is an explanation of size. ;)
Please excuse my ignorance. I read through the threads and knew that they all varied in size a bit, but when I saw a pic of the pandora next to a original I just forgot about everything I read and jumped to conclusions. :|:lol:

HighSti,

Purple-Days

No biggie, we all miss stuff, I just thought, I said it best, there and would screw it up this time.
30lysea.jpg

Images are sometimes deceptive. the one in post #12 by Devo shows the left one shorter, but they are pretty close in height when measured (I bet). Maybe Devo can confirm this. +/- 1/8" , pretty decent tolerance for hand/eye. And a caliper on the largest outside diameter is probably that close too. The left one shows more entasis too, which throws the eye off, that varies too. These are turned on a machine, but it's not machine controlled. ;)

Purple-Days,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
My older one is a bit thinner than the pandora, and a tiny bit shorter. almost the same height. About an 1/8th of an inch or less difference in height. The old PD has more of a rounded top than the Pandora that gives it the optical illusion it is much shorter than it really is. The less rounded top of the pandora gives it a more massive look.

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

Yes that's the entasis factor. Optical manipulation. But it might be reversed with two other examples of either model. There isn't a PD shape and a Pandora shape, they are the same, but vary. Devo has one of the best examples of entasis, exaggerated even. ;)

There is a notch filed into the chop saw fence, same height as an American soda can, height is always set pretty close, but varies minutely from run to run. Later boring ops for that run are dependent on that tolerance. Width is also modeled on the standard American beverage can, but isn't very important to other ops. That makes them all hand shaped and different.

"About an 1/8th of an inch or less difference", but the optical / geometric form is different. Unique. And, camera, lens and lighting make differences too. (probably furthering the contrast).
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/148/l_14ff64181c574d3787b46c719bc26175.jpg

Purple-Days,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
So far the only noticeable difference between the two is the Pandora keeps the heat from coming to the surface of the unit..... I think this is due to two things... slightly more mass, not much, just enough to retain the heat a bit better, and the fact that it hasn't gone through its break in period. Like I said before, I think in the long run the pandora will run a tiny bit warmer than my original. Which is good for me. gives me more options ;)

DevoTheStrange,

goatmood

Hey Tom,
First time poster, long time lurker. Listen, I just completed my PD with some minor kinks (the size hole on top being much too small was the biggest issue) and it seems to be heating properly, however something is SMOKING inside. I haven't put any herb into the unit as of yet, but it seems to be producing a small amout of smoke after being plugged in for a 2-4 minutes. I do not want to lose my 164.50$ (including External ring pliers) investment so i unplug it when i notice this start to happen. What's going on?
Thanks

goatmood,

Purple-Days

If it's not just a bit of dust and wood splinters and would continue this at all, unplug and contact us, we will get it sorted. Could be as simple as that, or maybe you have a short from crossed wires etc. But if you have any further trouble stop and get an e-mail off to us. Pammy just noticed this post, and it might have gone un-noticed till late tonight. E-mail is the only way to know I see something... ^^^ (no follow up, no e-mail 3-26*... also this is this person's only post, coming on the same day as e-mail threats to 'expose' me on the forum for making a refund... ;) )

As I said earlier for any who have a kit, test fit the sleeve in the hole, if it's too tight we will fix it. There was a problem with a drill bit that was used on a few.

Purple-Days,

fail

Hello Pandora Kit owners,

Today, I urgently need your help.

I have received the P.kit today, but the instructions DVD is blank and there is nothing on it.
I have contacted Pammy so that she sends me the images and the texts, but she says that she dosn't know how to extract them from the DVD.

I am asking you ppl that surely know how to deal with DVDs, to email me the images and the texts. I hope I manage without the videos.

email to:
shunra5@gmail.com

Thanks!

fail,

Purple-Days

I'm not sure what the urgency is, as I said, the DVD will be sent in the morning. And you have as long as you like to review and decide.

The problem isn't knowing how to 'extract' the files. I put them there, I can get them out... The problem is it is the greater part of a DVD and at almost 3 Gigs it's not gonna e-mail from here.

Sorry that we sent a blank. A new one will be on it's way as soon as the Post office opens.

Purple-Days,

fail

Purple-Days said:
I'm not sure what the urgency is, as I said, the DVD will be sent in the morning. And you have as long as you like to review and decide.

The problem isn't knowing how to 'extract' the files. I put them there, I can get them out... The problem is it is the greater part of a DVD and at almost 3 Gigs it's not gonna e-mail from here.

Sorry that we sent a blank. A new one will be on it's way as soon as the Post office opens.
Do you want me to clarify on why the urgency is?

fail,

Purple-Days

No, no need, I take your urgency seriously, but the post office doesn't open till morning. It is Sunday. You have as long as you want to review it, there is no urgency in that sense, you have as long as it takes to get the DVD and then take as long as you like to review it. This is an exception, because of the blank DVD situation, we screwed this one up. A chance to learn and improve the Quality Control aspects.

Purple-Days,

fail

Purple-Days said:
No, no need, I take your urgency seriously, but the post office doesn't open till morning. It is Sunday. You have as long as you want to review it, there is no urgency in that sense, you have as long as it takes to get the DVD and then take as long as you like to review it. This is an exception, because of the blank DVD situation, we screwed this one up. A chance to learn and improve the Quality Control aspects.
I think that you don't understand me. I have no interest in reviewing the package and have already opened all the plastic wrappings. I wouldn't bother returning it anyway.
I wanted to obtain the minimal and crucial material via the email to reduce the waiting times, BUT not only that. Also, I didn't want to bother you with the expensive shipment. I understand that you ship via USPS Express Mail International which will cost you $28.95 to send the DVD. I think that this could be avoided.

fail,

Purple-Days

It's alright, the cost isn't important. We will ship via Express in the AM, then you get the 'whole picture' rather than portions. There are video, text and picture (with captions) instructions that all work together. Pictures or text or video by themselves might not present as clear an image.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom