Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Feels a little like batch 7b has taken a backseat to the new model. Not so happy with that news. Actually, I am very disapointed.
Not sure why you think that, but it is simply not true, I haven't worked a drop on anything but 7b, other than to order parts and confer with Alan. I just spent the last 2 days building 7b, while packages with chips and face plates remain unopened. I'll be in my shop all day finalizing 7b.

I'm tired of switch replacements, but this switch change was probably overkill - no matter, I want you to have your LB for years to come. I do love the look and feel of the brand new switch. Even the nut that holds it in place from the inside is twice the size of the previous switches. It's a bit stiffer to press, but with a solid, even feel. The turned steel looks high end. The seller of this switch swears that many Chinese sellers have copied the exact wording of his product listing, but use inferior materials. Right now, I have 35 left, and a large order on the way for early September. If I had to use the older switch, I just need to test it hard for mechanical failure, before letting it leave here. My current DD is the older 3 amp switch, and it cranks no matter what I do with it. I've been pushing it to the limits, leaving screens a bit clogged, to try and fry this switch, won't happen.

For me, LB Classic is up front and center.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
You are the one telling us ship dates that you then dont meet. My disapointment is based on you not doing what you said you were going to do. If you did not mention the dates it would not be a thought in my head. Fuck it. Im out of this thread. I will just wait for it to show up sometime.
Sorry you feel that way. I do not commit to a ship date. I was shooting for today, but I've only got 4 units built, and 8 to go. I want to spend my time in the shop building until all of batch 7 is done, not at the post office today, as well as another day this week - that's not gonna happen and still be able to build 20 units a month. I can't always predict exactly how long shit takes. My crime is I'm an optimist. I'm in the shop day in, day out, trying to make this happen. I feel the pressure to get things done. Not sure what you want me to do, not mention my projected ship dates so you won't be disappointed? I apologize for your disappointment, but I'm disappointed that I bought 500 switches I can't use, and had to do many free repairs and replacements (brand new units) that have slowed things down.

I do my absolute best to be consistent and fair to every customer. I think that's one of the main reasons LB is having so much success. Again, I apologize for your disappointment in having to wait, but it is not unusual for wait times for hand crafted vapes to be a month or more, but I agree, I should not project.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Bravesst good morning! :wave:

Hope you had a great weekend.
:wave:

There is just no rushing this project. I went down to the shop at about 8AM. It looked like a bomb of tools exploded on my workbench. Spent about 30 minutes organizing, cleaning. Next I looked over yesterday's work. One unit needed some more fairing up, so that was another 20 minutes. Finally, got started on today's work, and assembled one unit. Just finished. I wind up fussing with this and that, lots of fine tuning in the end process that I realize will probably never change. No matter what else gets faster, this is where it all comes together, and no place for anything but the best possible unit I can produce. Right now, I need a short break with Reddy, and I'll be ready for another assembly. Time to test a stem or two.

Damn my LB Classic is killing this current strain. :clap:

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I'm shopping for a vapor-on-demand portable and the LB is currently top of the list. The battery cover design, stainless steel coil, glass-less construction is appealing... but I do like glass stems too. Does the LB come with a glass stem? Will the coils be available separately ? I guess the coil will eventually burn out?

Haze Mister,

elykpeace

exVASted
I'm shopping for a vapor-on-demand portable and the LB is currently top of the list. The battery cover design, stainless steel coil, glass-less construction is appealing... but I do like glass stems too. Does the LB come with a glass stem? Will the coils be available separately ? I guess the coil will eventually burn out?
18mm glass should fit. I grabbed one from @supershredderdan on
Modpodlabs.com hoping it fits nicely
stem-product-pic.jpg

I would deff recommend the standard mp made by @Alan just in case. I've dropped mine a bunch and not a scratch

elykpeace,
Reactions: Bravesst

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse

As far as I know in the 6 months or so that LB has been around no coils have burned out, and they are not user replaceable.

And if you've read anything the LB is an ALL-WOOD device, including the stem. So no, they don't get shipped with glass roasting tubes.

RBT stems do fit, but I find wood on wood works best. If you want glass in your stem you should check out @Alan at Toasty Top. He can make a WonG roasting tube that should suit your fancy.

HerbieVonVapster

Damn my LB Classic is killing this current strain. :clap:

The hike other day left me in some extra pain so packed up a tube of some high CBD to start the day. There's a interesting taste profile with the CBD strains. With lil bud quick heat and cool down was able to get a couple extra really good flavored hits. Before I upped the heat to finish off the tube.

Having now ran a few different strains and many tubes, I have a good feeling for my LB performance.

It's super fast heat up time going be perfect for a quick in public or slip away stealth hit. My elevape is no longer trust worthy so this will need to fit some of its shoes.

I tend well traveling, camping to take 3 vaporizer. Looks like my LB made the list.
Adding LB to current travel line up should work great. All 3 now use same battery type. 2 of the 3 even the same tube.

Sorry you feel that way. I do not commit to a ship date. I was shooting for today, but I've only got 4 units built, and 8 to go. I want to spend my time in the shop building until all of batch 7 is done, not at the post office today, as well as another day this week - that's not gonna happen and still be able to build 20 units a month. I can't always predict exactly how long shit takes. My crime is I'm an optimist. I'm in the shop day in, day out, trying to make this happen. I feel the pressure to get things done. Not sure what you want me to do, not mention my projected ship dates so you won't be disappointed? I apologize for your disappointment

Just out curiosity what ended up being total batch size of 7? Sounds like most of the pre-ordered unit in this batch have already shipped? Isn't what's left mostly the unclaimed cherry units?

It seemed that by adding expanding onto batch 7 has caused some misunderstandings and hurt feelings.
IMHO once a batch is full should be cutoff point for all unit going out in that monthly batch.

The fairer, easier, and less drama way would be add these special type of units into the next batch. Instead trying get them out with the current batch.

It's also more fair for the next batch of people that already are waiting. These unit really shouldn't be going out before there preorder.

Please don't take this as criticizing. It's more my thoughts and feelings from watching the batch 7 run and as a consumers point of view.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I think what's really putting me off for now is the need to disconnect the battery before you can safely put this in a bag or pocket. An off switch that disconnects the button would be great but I get that it would require a re-design so I probably just need to wait for the regulated version.

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Bravesst

elykpeace

exVASted
I think what's really putting me off for now is the need to disconnect the battery before you can safely put this in a bag or pocket. An off switch that disconnects the button would be great but I get that it would require a re-design so I probably just need to wait for the regulated version.

Includes little wooden shims to break the terminal. There's a slit on the battery cover so it doesn't stick out or anything and it doesn't budge until you take the battery door off and remove it while adjusting the battery
And I stow away an extra shim in the battery door in case
So what other concerns? Lol Mike has it covered

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I carry my LB in my pocket almost 24/7. I slip the included battery safety tab between the battery end and terminal. Works flawlessly and feels safe having it on me .. safer then a cut off switch really because that too could accidentally be turned on within a pocket or bag.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@HerbieVonVapster Batch 7 wound up about 30 units counting replacements - too big, I agree.

@Haze Mister There is a simple shim the fits between the positive terminal and the battery contact. It's about a half an inch square and stores easily in the battery compartment. The point of the LB classic was not to be encumbered by additional switches / electronics, but to keep it simple, powerful, and reliable. The LB Elite will be packed with those type of goodies, but priced quite a bit higher.

I just got an email from my switch seller, and he says that supplying me with 500 switches a year should be no problem. He's very aware of the poor quality out there. His switch manufacture makes switches for some electronics company. He's been selling their products for over 5 years and has no issues. So I finally found a legit supplier, who is very concerned with quality. Not easy to sift through the dozens of options. In the meantime, not to put all eggs in one basket, I've got two more sample switches on the way, one American, one Chinese. If anyone believes a little switch is gonna slow down LB, not gonna happen. Staying ahead of this from now on.

@Alan wants to know if I had a chance to look at the DNC chip yet. Just so everybody knows, not until batch 7 is all gone. I put together 2 more units, a little slow going. This is one part of the job that won't get much faster. It's pretty much where everything comes together, and lots of quality control and minor tweaking take place. LB gets optimized in the final assembly.

How many hours goes into making one LB Classic from start to finish? Not sure I wanna know. Let's just say a lot less than it took six months ago, and thank God I love doing it.

Last edited:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
As it relates to marketing and customer service managing expectations is a big deal. I work with a lot of one man operations and the ones that do the best over the long-term operate like Mike-very transparently.

And most one-man businesses that are successful are also optimistic. As Mike is. It's clear to me after having been part of this thread from the beginning that Mike most often gives best-case scenarios. And if you've been following along, he's met a few of those ahead of time. Just as he's missed a few because shit happens.

@Mr. Gweilo 420 I feel your disappointment, but if you've been following closely it was clear that date wasn't going to be met. I am, due to a button issue (again), now part of Batch 7b. I'm just as antsy as you are to get mine. Cuz I know how great they are when the effin switch works.

I for one am very happy Mike is taking the time to get the switch right. Would you like yours right or right now? I feel for you-the delay sucks a bit-but would you rather have an LB right now whose switch my crap out, or would you rather wait a few days and have one that will last you for years?

The best advice I've ever gotten as it relates to being a one-man business is to "under promise and over deliver". The risk one takes with being optimistic is 'over promising and under delivering" with no ill intent.

I think Mike is doing his best to walk a very fine line between the two.

Personally, when I'm working with a one man operation who is making or servicing something, I wait until they're done with the project and get excited when I get shipping notice. Everything up until then is a well-intentioned estimate. Life has a way of being un-tidy and often getting in the way of best laid plans.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Just got my LB and so far not having a good time. Seems like no matter what I try I just get a hot wood taste and no vapor. I've tried covering different numbers of holes and drawing slowly and drawing fast and nothing is working. If I take the same stem and put it in my Milaana I'm getting big tasty clouds. What's the deal?

Cheesequake,

SpudBob

I think Mike is doing his best to walk a very fine line between the two.
I think he's doing the best he can from where I sit too. I waited over a year to get one of my vapes. Im, currently, on Alans wait list-6month'sish and counting. That the nature of Artisan creations. Hell my brother had a rifle at a gunsmith for 5 YEARS before he got it back. Another week or so is, really, not bad at all! I think most, here, understand that IMHO!

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Just got my LB and so far not having a good time. Seems like no matter what I try I just get a hot wood taste and no vapor. I've tried covering different numbers of holes and drawing slowly and drawing fast and nothing is working. If I take the same stem and put it in my Milaana I'm getting big tasty clouds. What's the deal?
Are you holding button for too long?
It is much different than the Milaana. This one gets hot very fast. No need for any preheat. Press and start drawing. Within a few seconds (3 at most) you will feel the heat, let go of the button and keep drawing.
I combusted my first few times b/c I was treating it like the Mi.
Hope that helps.
Oh and slllllooooooow draw works best!

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
From here it's hard to diagnose your problem, but except for 2 shorts (my mistake) out of almost 100 units, all problems with the units have been defective switch issues. Even if your timing is off, at the very least you should be getting vapor, maybe some charring, but not just hot wood. Switch getting stuck or hot? Were you in this current batch, because it seems the first replacement switch seems to have their own set of issues. Good news is that the switches are easily replaceable on the newer units, which the larger switch was designed for, and I've found a legitimate seller of high quality switches and have ensure a steady supply. On a side note, how are you prepping / loading your stems? Either way, if the unit is the problem, I will repair / replace at no cost.

I'd pay $20 per switch if I thought it what I had to do to stop this frustration. Luckily, not quite that much, but switch prices have doubled, and I'm ecstatic about it. Regrettably, it took this long for me to find the right seller. I can't recall who, but a member was suggesting something about the DNC chip, and posted a link to their ebay store. When I clicked on it, I saw *the switch*, and ordered 10. When it arrived, I could see it was a bit different, heavier, turned, bit firmer. I went back online and cleaned him out (another 30). I then contacted him and ensured a steady supply. Like I said, easy swap out if necessary in the future for any body with a 2.0.

Since I went to a 2.0 daily driver, I barely pay attention to any real technique. I hit the button, wait a second or two, and pull loads of vapor. Pull and pay attention to vapor expansion as you hold the button. If you feel that rush of vapor, be quick about stopping the draw and / or releasing the button. That's about it. The foil adds so much even heat, technique got easier, with more consistent results.

We are slowly but surely whittling away at batch 7. The days of every build getting a faster are just about over. To quote Popeye, *I am what I am.* I'll heed the advice and cool down the optimism.

Under promise, over deliver. I like that. :doh:

Last edited:

Zow237

Shouldn't have to cover any holes. You have my old unit and I mayb covered one from a fresh start but that's it. I never had a problem getting thick tasty. clouds :). Hopefully you get it down. The draw is def a different technique than the milaana if that helps at all.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning all...

Working on some design elements. Got a request for edge beading that I'm pretty excited about. I have a few walnut units, beaded already. I've only brought one to finish, but I have another four ready for pre-assembly. Also been working with the edge between switch box and body. Every unit is a bit unique, really depends on the species, grain pattern, whether I can shoot for a relatively seamless joint, or relieve the edges and create an intentional groove. No matter how perfect you get this, without a glued / planed joint that is permanent, there will be some visibility, especially on end grain. So every LB is unique in this respect, as unique as the grain patterns themselves.

The Bare Bones LB option is no longer necessary. Every LB will now be sold with a *no mouthpiece* option. This opens the bare bones option to every unit.

Walnut Edge Beading Sale (batch 8)
This edge bead is along the battery door edge, hand cut. Beaded Edging will be an optional add on in the future, not sure what I'll charge, but right now it's a discounted sale because I want to get it out there. Save $20 on figured walnut LB Classic when entering the code beadedbud at checkout. That brings a bare bones FW LB Classic in at $159 plus shipping.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Happy you have found a good switch source from a seller who puts as much emphasis on product quality and customer care as you do !

Lots of great , exciting news from Vapwood these past weeks , you'd win a few vape awards if we had such , keep up the great work!

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Yes, lots of great news and good people. I'm proud to host this thread, and you guys actually make it easy to work my ass off. I've been busy digesting a couple of Alan emails, like having access to vape building tutorials, albeit different type of *work*, but still quite essential.

We've been discussing the finer points of coil forming. His understanding of the process, as well as the theory behind everything we do, is totally comprehensive. He understand every drop of it. I'm beginning to understand things, and I do have the skills / tools to bring things to fruition. I'd say it's a pretty sound combination.

There is lots of excitement around here. Many new projects on the horizon. They will all get done while I keep producing Lil' Bud Classics. The plan for the future is pretty simple.

1. Secure a steady supply of a high quality switches for LB / Timber
Items 2, 3 and 5 cannot happen without completely solving the switch issue. There has been much time wasted replacing units with bad switches.
CHECK

2. Build as many LB Classics as possible, tweaking, fine tuning
That is exactly what I'm doing.
CHECK

3. Develop LB Elite, get prototypes out there
Right after batch 7 is finished, I plan on taking a close look at the LB-E, but won't actually start building it until batch 8 is finalized. Batch 8 will be a much smaller batch than 7. At this point I'll try and get all my parts ordered.

4. Do some work for Alan on a project of his
Not a major job, just a bit of an assist, we won't lose too much time here. I can work this into my schedule, simultaneously building LB's and Timbers.

5. Develop Timber, get prototypes out there
This is a high priority for me, and once work starts, it will happen fast. I chose to go LB-E first, so we can simultaneously develop Timber Elite.

One step at a time...

Last edited:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Still not having any luck with my LB. I haven't gotten one satisfying hit yet. Not even close to the first manual vape I've used so I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble getting vapor.

Cheesequake,
Top Bottom