Discontinued Hopper io

MoltenTiger

scratched my head for a while over this FAHLSDHSC
Yep, very head scratch worthy is the fancy-ass HL super-duper high speed charger.

However my last sentence especially referenced beyond just that one item.

My most recent unit failure, which prompted me to twist off the chamber assembly, a feat I haven't repeated and not without trying. It seems the rage induced by a dead unit can summon the strength required to defeat the copper strip thread locker lol.
Anyway, I was a little disappointed with what I found ie. a tight and complex airpath with everything covered by oil and fluff. This unit was bought alongside a leather slip too, so had the best chances to stay clean. There's only so many oscars that can be blasted through before this will pose a problem, it seems basically unavoidable. Some service downtime is surely a given for these given the widest operating window allowed considering the dangerously generous warranty offer.

JBone65

ON the fence since read all this........
No one knows about the financial health of HL, whether or not they will continue to survive to maintain the warranty. It's pretty amazing they've survived more than five years considering the earlier reliability issues and the major fire in late 2019, I think. In this thread you hear from very satisfied users, dissatisfied users (??) and people who never manage to enjoy it due to failures and/or SQ problems.

I can recommend a SS io for personal use if you're in the U.S. and if you're a moderate user.

Some of the problems you read about in this thread are folks waiting on delayed specialty Ti parts, or international folks. The delays seem to apply to repairs as well.

Despite what HL sells, I probably wouldn't recommend a big investment in related performance equipment. Several folks will disagree with this but IMO it works best as designed, as a portable device. I can't say the risk of failure is higher if you use it like a desktop vape, but that's what I would expect.

A genuine stinky desktop device would probably be easier and more reliable, but the portable io is extremely stealthy if you want it to be.

Not just me, some others have enjoyed a functioning io more than a year, so there is a chance you can too. I'm coming up on my 5 year badge overall. HL has been good to me, have only spent $285 total on devices. I would be remiss if I didn't give them credit.

I use the stock charging ring and usually only 1 battery. It's efficient. You can use the graduated temperature control to get more hits (and quickly payout the purchase price) and to get get amazing earthy hits. I used an ounce per month, but I've gradually slowed to an ounce every 3+ months and loving it.

Patience will payoff when you have a problem and need HL's warranty service. Don't want to bite the hand that can repair your io. Maybe a 90+% run time would be a realistic goal.

You might verify that HL has the io in stock and will ship it ASAP (that normally means within 2-3 weeks).

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have read most of this thread. Looks like a nice unit.

ON the fence since read all this........
I can at least say that at the moment, wife and I each have one working great, and they act very much the same.
My purchase has been "in the shop" 5 months of its' 15 month life. Wife's is service-free at 11 months. So combined and averaged, our "success rate" is about 80%.

Only if you have disposable income would I actually recommend this vape.
You need money to burn, the patience of Job and a reliable backup if you own an io. I recently bought a spare body that sits waiting for the call...

You are going to have to reach some understanding, some balance between the two perceptions below; I have had quite a few through my hands and I am more in the camp with MoltenTiger on this one.

Also noteworthy were his remarks about warranty service. The first time you need help, they are there for you and you get taken care of. After that, their interest in helping you wanes and time increases a lot with each request you make.
This may explain why JBone56 has this view. He is a relatively light user and has had 1 warranty case with the io and it was resolved in a couple of weeks. (I hope I have that right?)
MoltenTiger is more a power user, and I don't mean the way he uses it, just the amount that he does, which I think is a lot. He has had the multiple cases (as have I) and seen the response-time curve bend in quite the wrong direction.
Maybe a 90+% run time would be a realistic goal.

The units themselves are nice and having multiple is a good option if you can make sense of it. Do note that 2 is not enough to guarantee uptime, but it goes a long way in ironing out the creases.

JBone65

This may explain why JBone56 has this view. He is a relatively light user and has had 1 warranty case with the io and it was resolved in a couple of weeks.
HL stepped up thru 7-8 warranty issues over 5 years, but the io's only failed once in 13 1/2 months of continuous service, the back end was replaced by mail with about 3 weeks down time.

At 15-20 hits per day, I'm more of a moderate user IMO. I've used more weed in the past but didn't enjoy it anymore than now. I tend to reduce loads >40% by weight with the io (bought a scale), so it works great, starting low and progressing to high temps. Used a few other devices over the years, nothing has been as enjoyable.

JBone65

Mine consistently holds 0.19 g, and the blackish ABV consistently weighs 0.11 g, a42% reduction, although that is near the limits of my cheap scale so I can't guarantee the accuracy. I'm getting 11 hits per load, 16-17 hits per day, that calculates out to 1 ounce every 3 months. I'm making a confirmed 0.12 g of vapor each day on average. Just using less weed to do it.

Broiling the load down to only 58% of it's starting weight (with zero combustion) speaks to my frugalness, it doesn't mean I go easy on the io. That's actually more work for the io on a per gram basis. I get 16-17 long hits per day on average, many of which are at the maximum temperature.

Be aware you probably need a milligram scale to measure down to the nearest 1/100th of a gram. I made a mistake and bought a regular scale.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
JUST A QUICK TIP:

Below is a link for 3 polishing cloths for “FREE”, you pay shipping. $10.00 total, received in 4 days.

I was looking into polishing cloths, read up on a few “watch repair” sites. Cape Cod cloths appear to be very popular, but some of the “experts”, mentioned the SUNSHINE brand was softer, and in their opinion .... better.

From what I gather, one should NOT use any polish cloths on ANODIZED (can wear off the surface color) and BRUSHED (will make surface shiny) metals. Cloths are supposedly even less abrasive then most polish CREAMS.
Sunshine makes 3 grades, and you get one of each in the sample pack.

I’m going to use them on my polished plain TITANIUM IO, should be just as effective on the STAINLESS model. I can also use it on my titanium Simrell Ti stem, and all my New Vape/CH Titanium parts.

NOTE: Cleaning titanium with WINDEX (the old formula WITH AMMONIA), is also mentioned in a lot of “how to clean & polish” web pages. Good luck, proceed with caution.....

MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger is more a power user, and I don't mean the way he uses it, just the amount that he does, which I think is a lot.
I mean, you could have easily meant the way I use it, which is powerful and I think is a lot too, because it is :science:
20211014-030828-1.jpg

I happily find more and more reasons to do so too!

RustyOldNail

Random reminder to y’all…nothing restores the power of this little guy like fresh batteries. Had two come in the mail today. First hit is way more powerful than anything I’ve had for a while.

My extra 6 were actually handed over to USPS, only a day after I placed the order. It’s been conjectured before that they usually do a single post office run near the end of the week, which is what I experienced before this order, good sign!

INTERESTING NOTE:
I know they are still supporting BOTH their websites, I ended up on the OLDER one, where the current deal for (3) batteries is $36, $12/each, and I added two screens at $5/each.
But on the NEWER site, I didn’t see the screens, and the batteries are listed at the $14 list.
ODD?

ondemander

Mine consistently holds 0.19 g, and the blackish ABV consistently weighs 0.11 g, a42% reduction, although that is near the limits of my cheap scale so I can't guarantee the accuracy. I'm getting 11 hits per load, 16-17 hits per day, that calculates out to 1 ounce every 3 months. I'm making a confirmed 0.12 g of vapor each day on average. Just using less weed to do it.

Broiling the load down to only 58% of it's starting weight (with zero combustion) speaks to my frugalness, it doesn't mean I go easy on the io. That's actually more work for the io on a per gram basis. I get 16-17 long hits per day on average, many of which are at the maximum temperature.

Be aware you probably need a milligram scale to measure down to the nearest 1/100th of a gram. I made a mistake and bought a regular scale.
How many batteries do you own? I just bought 2 a few months ago and they are noticeably weaker already charging exclusively with a Nitecore battery charger.

ondemander,

JBone65

How many batteries do you own?
I have two good batteries, both are supposedly GHB3s although the one that came with the io in August 2020 is labeled as a GHB2.

In the past I've waited until the battery was showing signs of failing before ordering another one. That strategy caused a problem when the battery fire nearly shut down HL. My battery failed and I was shut down a several months waiting for a new one. Ordered a replacement a few months ago, but the original battery didn't fail and it still worked the last time I used it.

Have tossed several worn out GHB2s over the years.

I normally leave my newest battery in the device and use the stock ring charger 2-3 times a day. It only takes a few seconds a day to hook it up, although you need to stay aware of the battery status or you might experience the dreaded flashing lights. I usually remember to charge it before I leave the house, but it's probably good for several more hits anytime I forget.

Having to remember to charge it isn't a big deal. If you use multiple batteries you have to keep that straight and remember to charge them as well.

IMO it's just easier to operate with one battery. It's easy to not have to remember to change it, and it's very easy to keep it charged.

I used to worry about an io failure, either a device or a battery failure. My backup devices aren't comparable. Even though I depend on my io almost 100%, I finally decided that it's not a big deal. A second battery is a no brainier but I refuse to pay for a second io to sit in the drawer just in case. In the worst case scenario, I will happily combust and/or partially abstain for a few weeks.

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey hey FC fam, I know it's been a while so I just thought I'd check in to give an update on my io journey, if anyone is interested. Although I'm pretty sure there'll be no surprises for anybody who frequents this thread . . . . . . .

. . . . . Soooooo, the colour Ti io I received in May ended up combusting on all power levels - it started out from new only combusting on power level 5, but after a very short period of use it ended up combusting on whatever power level I had it set to, even on minimum power. Fukin gnarly. So, after checking with Hopper support, I conducted some testing by swapping around parts with my original GrassHopper. Please note, although I have a complete original GH, it also did not work due to the cop light issue, plus, it had already been through the warranty ringer a couple of times (the most recent of which, I got it back so quickly while some people had been waiting months/years for a warranty repair/replacement, that I am convinced they did absolutely nothing but send it straight back to me as it was, seeing as it was returned with the same fault I sent it in for) but on that occasion I didn't get around to sending it back in again, mainly due to my wariness over the multitude of issues Hopper Labs were going through at the time - i.e. ridiculously long warranty lead times, the battery shortage, the fire on their premisis, and the subsequent customer advised disposal of the supposed dangerous fire batteries.

Anyway, back to combination testing with the io & GH . . . . . I discovered if I used my original GH body with the io backend in a Frankenvape combo, I actually had a device that performed almost as good as my original GH used to back in the very beginning . . . probably around 2015/16. The only issue seems to be if I draw really hard, as I quite often like to, it will give me red flashing lights as if the battery is almost dead - even if it is a freshly charged cell. But no biggie, I can cope with that & draw a little lighter for the time being, particularly if it means I now have a working device in this awesomely portable & descreet form factor. For me, this was a win - man, I'll take what I can get, as I really do love this vape, yeah yeah yeah, I know, I know. . . . when it bloody works ;)

Next, I opened a warranty case for the io, gave them all of the info I had gleaned from my testing and was quickly advised it was the io body which was at fault (which also lead me to believe it was the GH backend that was causing the issues with my original GH but we'll leave that one alone for now, being as mentioned, I am simply pleased to have a workable combo), and I would get a replacement body sent out to me within 5-12 days once I had returned my io body - and they also advised I could check back at the warranty portal anytime I wanted an update. This was all great news to me, Hopper Labs were being responsive, and it meant I could send off my io body & keep hold of the io backend to use with my original GH body in the meantime. Happy daze.

Now, life being what it is, a few things got in the way and it did take me a little while to clean up the io body & get it shipped back to Hopper Labs but, nevertheless, I got it done eventually & tracking confirmed it was delivered in September. Since then, however, I have heard nothing more - it's been complete silence from their side, as others have experienced recently. I have messaged several times, at weeks apart on the warranty portal to request an update, but so far my requests have been ignored. I would just like to know they actually have my io body in their hands but, no, I've heard nothing. At least I have the tracking confirmation, I suppose.

And thats where I am right now - in Hopper Labs limbo, albeit with a FrankenHopper that does work to some degree of satisfaction, even if it's not exactly as it should.

Great eh? Wtf is going on in that place? Who knows! To be honest I have given up trying to figure them out as they really have proven to be a mystery to most of us, but hey, it's nice they can still see their way clear to send emails telling me to go check out their fricken awesome selection of accessories! Sheesh!

Ahhhh, what a ride. All such good fun! :ko:

Phew! Did any of that make sense? I'm thinking possibly not so my apologies for, what is probably, a pretty awful fuking read! (Unfortunately I'm on quite a lot of medication right now, so feeling a bit more :mental: than usual!)

And finally, @vapviking - I truly am so sorry for the delay on this, dude, but thanks for your comment way back in May . . . . and here you go good sir . . . .

Cushdy.jpg

Peace you guys
:peace:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have a YOcan HIT and a G pen.

I just bought a Crafty +.

I have time to decide, the idea of convection only heating .

Have an Ispire wand coming today.

David

I'd recommend an xmax v3pro instead... I'm supposed to follow up with GH to see if they have blue IO in stock again to replace the one they sent me that does work, but has significant cosmetic damage that you should not see in a brand new device... Finally got them to agree to send one after so much back and forth, weeks and weeks, told they wouldn't be in stock for 2 months, I'm not even sure I feel like following up anymore now that I have the V3pro honestly... I'm lucky my Hopper works, OG steel TI frankenhopper through the PA, and this blue IO, despite the nice stuff, that would basically justify the price difference, I just think the xmax is so much more convenient and practical... Truly nothing can match the industrial design of GH, but it seems like even they cannot match it sustainably themselves lol too limited by the design

JBone65

Anyone else have a problem with a heating element that comes unscrewed?

I'm afraid to put tools on it to torque it back on, don't want to egg or scratch it. This happens sometimes when the mouthpiece threads get gummed up with resin. The resin builds up, fills thread void areas, then solidifies at room temperature. This causes me to accidentally unscrew the entire end instead of just the mouthpiece.

When that happens I put it back together just hand tight, then heat it up with a full hit on maximum temperature. The top always comes right off when it's hot. At that point I can only clean it thoroughly and get the service connection as tight as I can with my fingers.

I'm probably waiting too long between cleanings.

I need to think of a safe way to put more torque on it.

RustyOldNail

I'm afraid to put tools on it to torque it back on, don't want to egg or scratch it. This happens sometimes when the mouthpiece threads get gummed up with resin. The resin builds up, fills thread void areas, then solidifies at room temperature. This causes me to accidentally unscrew the entire end instead of just the mouthpiece.

When that happens I put it back together just hand tight, then heat it up with a full hit on maximum temperature. The top always comes right off when it's hot. At that point I can only clean it thoroughly and get the service connection as tight as I can with my fingers.

Hasn’t happened to me yet, but I tend to clean mine often, those are fine threads. Qtip damp with ISO deep up the MP end, gets the inner threads, and bonus cleans the MP screen, a quick swipe on the male end threads on body tip. At the least I wipe the male threads with a microfiber cloth. Someone very early in this thread complained that the IO was like an “instrument”, and in this case having a bit of OCD, I treat it like one. While I can’t control what may fail internally, I try to be diligent on the maintenance I can control.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I soak the frontend in ISO fairly often. Too much resin in the MP does gum things up like trying to loosen the screen in the MP - at least with the OG frontend screen. I don’t touch the screen in the IO mouthpiece, at least not any longer and since I destroyed the original one warranting a replacement frontend. The heating element has never come loose for me in either model, OG or IO. Light ISO cleaning the threads and body and backend too regularly - and Blu-Tac! :) I do brush it out often too. My IO has been running flawlessly for 13+ months. :peace:

MoltenTiger

I used a silicone mat to gain a lot of extra grip when I forced a dead unit apart.
Previously my other io came apart pretty well as you say, although I was using the dynacoil and concentrate, which set at room temp and easily overcame the copper threadlock strip.

Reattaching the chamber assembly to the body without the threadlock makes it much easier to detach accidentally. You can't gain the level of secure fitment the threadlock offers by over torquing the chamber as it bottoms out on the battery.

I usually remove the front end when the unit is hot, which helps to prevent the chamber unscrewing and also makes the chamber easier to empty and clean.

JBone65

Reattaching the chamber assembly to the body without the threadlock makes it much easier to detach accidentally. You can't gain the level of secure fitment the threadlock offers by over torquing the chamber as it bottoms out on the battery.
Interesting. Do you use regular thread lock? I can probably apply it carefully so that none of it gets into the heating elements and the vapor. The service connection threads are finer than the MP threads, so they should be rated to higher torque so that they would not break during routine usage.

Next time it comes apart I'll look more closely at the thread profile to see where it bottoms out. Will also ask HL if there is a recommended torque, what they recommend in this case, if they use a threadlocking compound.

I think we have some rubber jar openers that might work.

MoltenTiger

Interesting. Do you use regular thread lock? I can probably apply it carefully so that none of it gets into the heating elements and the vapor. The service connection threads are finer than the MP threads, so they should be rated to higher torque so that they would not break during routine usage.

Next time it comes apart I'll look more closely at the thread profile to see where it bottoms out. Will also ask HL if there is a recommended torque, what they recommend in this case, if they use a threadlocking compound.

I think we have some rubber jar openers that might work.
No, ordinary threadlocker like loctite is full of ether and is methacrylate-based and relies on the electrochemical activity of a metal substrate to cause polymerization of the fluid. Thread-locking fluid is thixotropic, which allows it to flow well over time.

The threads are really close to the airpath and loctite would leak into the device.

There might be food grade options, and you could also use something like nail polish to achieve a similar result, but I would be wary about it considering it will be heated up quite a lot.

This is why HL have used a copper strip to physically jam the threads up. This falls out when the device is opened and can degrade from deformation, but it should be reusable.

You could try over torquing, but you should be able to replace the copper strip which does the job without risking stripping the fine threads.

Top Bottom