Discontinued Hopper io

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I believe the “Red” loctite is rated to 450f, but you may never get it apart again, potentially voiding warranty repairs. Reusing the copper would be the best choice if you can reuse it.

RustyOldNail

How is the shipping time for a brand new SS unit?

From a promo email I received on Thursday from hopper:

The wait is over! Hoppers are currently in stock and can ship out the same day! Find the new Hopper io stock here:

Though from my recent experience, like most companies these days, you get a “shipping label has been created” message, but as a small operation, HL seems to do the drop off once a week. Also if you live in the USA, the planned USPS “First Class Mail” SLOW DOWN, is in effect. Recent item sent the least expensive first class mail, took 8 days after a 5 day wait till item was actually handed off to USPS. Good luck!

JBone65

Am I crazy for wanting to buy a new unit? I had some bad experience like 5 years ago.
I think a lot of us had a bad experience with grasshoppers at one time or another, maybe several times. Although occasional failures are inevitable, and some patience could be required, reliability (and hit quality) has improved with the (stronger) io. From my experience, HL will honor the warranty and keep you up and running most of the time. I definitely agree that a plain SS model is the safest bet.

On a side note, I probably get more hits per load than most folks (a consistent 11 hits from 0.19 g). I'm convinced the io pays for itself over and over again by stretching my stash in addition to giving me excellent hits anytime anywhere.

It's probably ideal if you need to be discreet and you need a portable unit.

RustyOldNail

Tonight’s NO PRIZE CONTEST.
*There are clues on FC, but since the only prize is the TITLE: “BEST BALL GUESSER”, don’t waste your time looking for clues...

GUESS how MANY 6mm Quartz balls in the MF Oribitor pictured below. (Hopper IO for scale)

4521C2E0-D631-440E-B586-5822ACC33B3C.jpeg

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Am I crazy for wanting to buy a new unit? I had some bad experience like 5 years ago.
I believe I saw in another thread that you are in Brazil?
Hopper is not a good idea if you are that far away from service, imo.
The non-US owners we meet here tend to be multiple-unit owners, noteworthy by itself, and we've even seen a couple of those folks reach or pass the breaking point, just can't take any more hassle.
These days there are many good alternatives.
I don't remember seeing any sort of copper in there, just SS threads. Maybe I lost a part.
You are at a disadvantage without that part, and without having seen its' function.
I'm reminded of the mechanic's trick for when threads have become a little 'boogered'; Slip a strand or two of steel wool thread in there to, as the Molten big cat said, physically jam the threads up. In this case, maybe copper wool, as copper is more forgiving and less likely to damage the threads. Maybe some strands from some fine gauge stranded copper lamp cord?
*There are clues on FC, but since the only prize is the TITLE: “BEST BALL GUESSER”, don’t waste your time looking for clues...

GUESS how MANY 6mm Quartz balls in the MF Oribitor pictured below. (Hopper IO for scale)

View attachment 13797
Just a wee bit off topic. This could clog the thread with ot answers. I think there are places to start surveys, contests, etc.
But until a mod removes it, imma guess 144. :smug:

RustyOldNail

Not long ago I bought my first “Custom Creations C2” rig, the BRB50 (pictured on left), love the very clear German Schott glass they use and the “ratchet” perc. Works great with all my devices. I bought my first Grasshopper IO Ti, more recently, and thought it might draw better for me with a smaller 38mm can size, as opposed to the larger 50mm can. The new BRB38 came today (pictured on right). I was right, it’s perfect. $140.00 with 10% off, delivered via FedEx in 5 days, from Brothers With Glass.

DE73CBC7-3685-4228-9B31-890300AE9E08.jpeg

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Out of interest, has anybody had a reply on the thehopper.io warranty portal, recently?

I have messaged them there multiple times for a month, now, trying to find out what is happening with the body I returned to them, and it's replacement, yet I still have had no response.

The last time I heard from them (John) was back in fricken June!

Perhaps I'll drop Support an email to see if I can get a reply there.
In fact, has anyone heard a squeak out of them, at all, recently - other than their cheeky marketing emails?
'October Stock - More Accessories' - Whoo-bloody-hoo!

C'mon @Hopper Labs, please get it together & at least sort some of your shit out!

5rpbk8.jpg

:peace:

RustyOldNail

View attachment 13797

ANSWER TO NO PRIZE-CONTEST: THERE ARE: 431
6mm Quartz BALLS in the pictured rig.

9 packs x 48 balls each (-1 that was dropped, never found)
THANKS FOR PLAYING !!!

WINNER: @David Root gets the TITLE OF: “BEST BALL GUESSER” !!!
His entry: 344

*** @WelshBrok gets honorable mention as closest “numerically”, BUT went OVER.
His entry: 500

CLUES were in the thread below, created by: @The Chemist
I added more BALLS after my last post there.

JBone65

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisr...rong-and-so-is-everyone-else/?sh=67d17362ee35

This article is a year old but it might explain why I can be satisfied stretching my io loads for 11 hits. If the premise of the article is correct, the stronger weed only means that one needs less to get stoned, and all THC highs are basically the same regardless of how much you inhale. I know this probably doesn't tell the whole story. But I also know that some of my most memorable highs happened after I laid off awhile so it's possibly true.

The author suggests that instead of THC we should focus on the array of other compounds when looking for weed. To begin to test the theory, I stopped by a dispensary and found an ounce of 18% sativa for $100. The interesting thing is that it contains 2.45% terpenes, considerably higher than two other sativas I looked at. It's a little beat up but it smells great, can't upload a picture at the moment(??). (Note: Won't be able to smell dispensary weed much longer here, switching to sealed packages in a month or two.)

Anyway it seems to work fine in the io. Not the best low temp hits I've ever had, but close enough. Excellent flavor at low temps, heavy vapor at the high temps. At that price, I feel like I should hit it more often, but haven't felt the urge, yet.

This is potentially relevant in that I believe the io's design and (precise) functionality makes it possible to squeeze all of the compounds out of a load by slowly advancing the temperature according to one's own schedule. Maybe this a legitimate technical reason to not buy the more expensive weed.

I try to use more, even buying cheaper weed, but always come back to the same 10-12 hits per load. Comments?

Last edited:
JBone65,

RustyOldNail

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisr...rong-and-so-is-everyone-else/?sh=67d17362ee35

This article is a year old but it might explain why I can be satisfied stretching my io loads for 11 hits. If the premise of the article is correct, the stronger weed only means that one needs less to get stoned, and all THC highs are basically the same regardless of how much you inhale. I know this probably doesn't tell the whole story. But I also know that some of my most memorable highs happened after I laid off awhile so it's possibly true.

The author suggests that instead of THC we should focus on the array of other compounds when looking for weed. To begin to test the theory, I stopped by a dispensary and found an ounce of 18% sativa for $100. The interesting thing is that it contains 2.45% terpenes, considerably higher than two other sativas I looked at. It's a little beat up but it smells great, can't upload a picture at the moment(??). (Note: Won't be able to smell dispensary weed much longer here, switching to sealed packages in a month or two.)

Anyway it seems to work fine in the io. Not the best low temp hits I've ever had, but close enough. Excellent flavor at low temps, heavy vapor at the high temps. At that price, I feel like I should hit it more often, but haven't felt the urge, yet.

This is potentially relevant in that I believe the io's design and (precise) functionality makes it possible to squeeze all of the compounds out of a load by slowly advancing the temperature according to one's own schedule. Maybe this a legitimate technical reason to not buy the more expensive weed. I try to use more, even buying cheaper weed, but always come back to the same 10-12 hits per load. Comments?

Seems you enjoy “temp stepping” and the “entourage effect”. I’ve been temp stepping on most of my devices for a long time, as most do. It’s a bit easier on devices with a digital temperature readout. The IO’s dial is not very precise but useable. There are tons of charts showing which compounds are released at various temperatures, and the entourage effects are also always part of the discussion.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Seems you enjoy “temp stepping” and the “entourage effect”. I’ve been temp stepping on most of my devices for a long time, as most do. It’s a bit easier on devices with a digital temperature readout. The IO’s dial is not very precise but useable. There are tons of charts showing which compounds are released at various temperatures, and the entourage effects are also always part of the discussion.

I made a poll about this though and the overwhelming majority noted a quick and heavy extraction as being more effective.

RustyOldNail

I made a poll about this though and the overwhelming majority noted a quick and heavy extraction as being more effective.

Indeed, my IO seems to have a decent calibrated heater dial. Native, I usually start at #1, get the nice flavor hit. That preps the load, then if sticking to native, I will go to 1.5, then #2. Or, after #1, I will use a water rig, and go to #2. While the dial at least doesn’t combust at #1, which would mean a HOT setup, mostly I find my draw STRENGTH and LENGTH have a HUGE effect on extraction, more then the dial settings in general. So I find the IO is not really designed to be a slow sipper device, I get two good long hits using 3 temp adjustments, for about a total of six with a full .2 gram load. Once the flavor gets toasted, I’m done, and dump. Long pulls through a water rig, means even faster extraction, so the formula changes a bit, bigger hits, less total hits. In my opinion, it’s not the ideal device for accurate temperature stepping. My Mighty (conduction) and Tinymight (convection) work better for that. The 70 watt heater is great, and I find myself using it as designed, as you said: “quick and heavy”. If I want a long sipping session, I’ll choose a different device.

Top Bottom