Discontinued Hopper io

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Most likely because most Deoxit types are more for cleaning, and improving contact on plated material, like “gold” connectors. It’s not really a LUBE. I’ve read many of those posts, but figured best to ask here to see if anyone had any personal experience with their TITANIUM THREADS. thanks
I was replying as an owner having had titanium threads, on two different og grasshoppers, which were a part of your inquiry.

You may have missed my (joking) suggestion way, way back, to lubricate the threads with nose grease...

Enjoy your new hopper!

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I was replying as an owner having had titanium threads, on two different og grasshoppers, which were a part of your inquiry.

You may have missed my (joking) suggestion way, way back, to lubricate the threads with nose grease...

Enjoy your new hopper!

My father taught me about NOSE GREASE when I was a kid! :)
I USE it on my Jaryz Chico’s, so the cap liner doesn’t stick to the inner glass bowl, lifting it out all the time.

RustyOldNail,

RustyOldNail

Just tested 4 new batteries. *The rated 750mAh, is a bit generous!
I have not tested the Hopper IO’s “Voltage Cut Off”, probably 3.0-3.2 volts, ALL my tests are done with a industry standard testing 2.5 voltage cutoff. So you’ll probably see about 700mAh while in good shape.

Tested on SkyRC MC3000 analyzing charger.

HOPPER IO - GHB3 (750mAh Lion $15/each)

CHARGER TESTING SETTINGS:
(Refresh C-D-C): CHG= .35A, DISC= .17A, TERM= .04A, CUT-VOLT = 2.5V, D-REDUCE= .03A

RESULTS:

#1): mAh= 734 WH= 2.8 DC IR= 55 AC IR= 24
#2): mAh= 727 WH= 2.77 DC IR= 62 AC IR= 24.5
#3): mAh= 730 WH= N/A DC IR= 70 AC IR= 25.2
#4): mAh= 726 WH= N/A DC IR= 61 AC IR= 24

MoltenTiger

I have not tested the Hopper IO’s “Voltage Cut Off”, probably 3.0-3.2 volts, ALL my tests are done with a industry standard testing 2.5 voltage cutoff. So you’ll probably see about 700mAh while in good shape.

(Refresh C-D-C): CHG= .35A, DISC= .17A, TERM= .04A, CUT-VOLT = 2.5V, D-REDUCE= .03A

RESULTS:

Interesting tests, sounds like a good improvement from GHB1 https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/4xnfvy
It's quite an energy efficient Device considering the limited capacity

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I thought they were $14, no? Did it go up in price? Thanks for the stats. Do the results correlate with your usage observances?

Used my IO most of yesterday, all day. Such a great device. I may need a couple of new batts soon as my current rotation of 6 batts (a couple of different batches) has some older ones that only go a load or two. The longer they sit idle the quicker the shelf life is what I’ve observed over the years with Hopper batts. I label and rotate them too. I mostly charge them externally; I use the first gen mag charger in my car - and OG infrequently these days, lol, and second gen mag cable for occasional home use). I’m glad the first gen mag cable works with IO as I like it better than the second gen one believe it or not. :peace:

JBone65

For all my mods and ALUMINUM devices I use Nyogel (suggested for TM battery cap with its soft aluminum threads), but titanium is a different animal. :)I
Haven't needed anything besides ISO in almost 5 years. It gets really hot often, your hands and lips are all over it, some of the lubricant might end up where it doesn't belong, etc.

Have only had SS since 2016 so I'm not speaking from experience but I did sleep in a holiday in last night.

One minor trick I learned to minimize wear and tear on the back end threads is to always hold it by the body when increasing the setting and put my thumb on the pocket clip when decreasing the temperature. This a avoids frequent loosening and subsequent re-tightening of the back end, unexpected shorts, etc. The torque on the threads stays where you left it when you installed the battery, the most the threads feel during normal operation is the torque to increase the temp or the torque when you get to the max temp.

Tweakz

Buying io two months ago, I knew what I was going to do, after reading numerous reviews about the level of reliability of devices, I still took a chance and bought it.

So now my hopper io has stopped working... specifically the heating element no longer works ... turns on, but does not produce any heat...

I wasn't very upset, but even two full months have not passed...but I realized one thing for myself that I don't want to get involved with this shit anymore...

compared to my perfectly working TM (19.5 months), it seems that IO lost this fight ..

Thebigsmoke

Buying io two months ago, I knew what I was going to do, after reading numerous reviews about the level of reliability of devices, I still took a chance and bought it.

So now my hopper io has stopped working... specifically the heating element no longer works ... turns on, but does not produce any heat...

I wasn't very upset, but even two full months have not passed...but I realized one thing for myself that I don't want to get involved with this shit anymore...

compared to my perfectly working TM (19.5 months), it seems that IO lost this fight ..
That's a bummer mate you should contact them and ask if they could send you a replacement body. That's what I done it came a few weeks later and is working great for now. The combusting body that I was using had started to lose heat and wasn't producing vapour even at 5. Since I knew the replacement was on the way and I'd nothing to lose it took some ISO and squirted a few drops on the heater screen on the inside off the oven and a drip in each air hole intake. I blew into the body from the air holes and the back and front ends. I dried it with Q tips and left it out in the air for an hour. It done the trick it was back to combusting as normal. Maybe worth a try if you can negotiate a replacement body from hopper labs to keep you going until it arrives. Good luck mate

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Test that warranty CS my man, at least they won't be able to blame it on the color titanium... I did tell you to get an FW7 to compliment your TM instead ;) good luck!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Well, that was faster than a celebrity marriage!
Sounds like you were not ready to go the long bumpy route with HL. If you are this bummed now, you might really want to just cut your losses and move on...
My decision always goes to, "I don't want to give up and give them that satisfaction." Not that I know it would please anyone, but I do plan to hold them to their warranty commitment, however long it takes, it doesn't really hurt to wait (assuming proper backups!). And, now I'm years and many rmas in, they do keep rising to the challenge, every time. It's so weird!
Remember that "new hopper" feeling when it first arrived? You get to have that over and over with this vape! Just not on your own schedule, so to speak.

JBone65

You knew this could happen. My io had a problem when 3 months old. It was fixed in 3 weeks and it's worked ever since (13 months minus 3 weeks). The goal is to average 90-95% run time over the long haul. It's a bummer when it fails but it's happy time when you get it working again. NBD. Last time mine failed I spent 5 minutes making a pipe from a toilet paper roll and I was good to go....

How did it fail? Can you see thru the intake holes to verify the elements aren't packed with fines? Sometimes a loose connection can cause them to misbehave. Improper cleaning techniques potentially can void the warranty. Did it get wet?

Last edited:
JBone65,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
You knew this could happen. My io had a problem when 3 months old. It was fixed in 3 weeks and it's worked ever since (13 months minus 3 weeks). The goal is to average 90-95% run time over the long haul. It's a bummer when it fails but it's happy time when you get it working again. NBD. Last time mine failed I spent 5 minutes making a pipe from a toilet paper roll and I was good to go....

How did it fail? Can you see thru the intake holes to verify the elements aren't packed with fines? Sometimes a loose connection can cause them to misbehave. Improper cleaning techniques potentially can void the warranty. Did it get wet?
Gee, the last time my io failed (much more recently than yours) it took 2 rma's and a bit over 2 months to resolve. Though I was not being pushy, there were several missed commitments on HL's part.

I caution others, 90-95% success rate is a unicorn stat in this ball game. I agree, there has been steady improvement over the years, but stories still vary wildly user-to-user and stories are all we have to go by.

@JBone65 do yourself a favor and pick up a VLeaf Go for sixty bucks (or splurge for more!) and move away from that toilet paper roll idea!

General question; Has anyone here ever had their io or og warranty voided on a 'abuse' basis? or some such thing?

JBone65

If in the U.S. with a SS io, there is a very good chance Tweakz will be back in business in as little as 3 weeks.

Running out of weed used to put me in a funk. Eventually I realized the cessation of pleasurable THC essentially causes negative emotions, and that realization allowed me to stop anytime with less funkiness. Years later, the first few times my OG failed caused similar emotional reactions. I'm guessing it had to with my weak ass becoming emotionally dependent on the OG. It's unfortunate, and it seems like a big deal, but it isn't really, IMO. I've had eight warranty requests in 5 years, mostly early on, only one since I got the io 13 months ago. Life is good.

I also wonder about the different (70w) heater in the Ti models. Ti isn't a good electrical conductor but the threads and other contacts are supposedly coated with either brass or gold.

Last edited:

WhyAreWeWaiting

That's a bummer mate you should contact them and ask if they could send you a replacement body. That's what I done it came a few weeks later and is working great for now. The combusting body that I was using had started to lose heat and wasn't producing vapour even at 5. Since I knew the replacement was on the way and I'd nothing to lose it took some ISO and squirted a few drops on the heater screen on the inside off the oven and a drip in each air hole intake. I blew into the body from the air holes and the back and front ends. I dried it with Q tips and left it out in the air for an hour. It done the trick it was back to combusting as normal. Maybe worth a try if you can negotiate a replacement body from hopper labs to keep you going until it arrives. Good luck mate
I've had at least 6 replacements under RMA. Turnaround time is from 2 to 3 months. Replacement devices typically last less than a month. All have developed the same fault. Performance starts decreasing until you have to allow it to heat up for at least 10 seconds to get anything out of it, and even then it doesn't fully vape the herb. Then a while after that it will switch on and switch off after a second or 2. It's no different to the Grasshopper reliability wise.

Mndeadhead

QUESTION for Grasshopper/Hopper IO “TITANIUM” owners:

Anyone using either TITANIUM model for awhile have or notice any issues with the front or backend THREADS?

Since you have to unscrew the front for every load, and the back to change batteries, I’m concerned about potential for “galling”, which titanium is susceptible to. I’ve spent the past few days mostly on the flashlight forums, as there are many posts on using proper LUBES on titanium & aluminum flashlight threads.

I’ll report my findings, but wondered if anyone has had any issues, one poster in this thread mentioned not screwing the mouthpiece in TOO TIGHT, as it can get stuck.

Thanks!
I did have one of the threads fail on a PFE that required going back to the OG front end until i could get another one. Thought maybe it was just me

Mndeadhead

Pulled mine out of the drawer after not using it for a couple of months to give it a proper drive. Great session tonigh, due in my opinion to two things: The little glass mouthpiece really makes a difference for me. Sure, it isn’t a perfect fit, but its snug enough to use. The other one was one i will credit stoner engineering. For those of you who have the portabowl from Old Head, the little metal tool fits inside the hopper. Being able to tamp it down has had a significant impact for me.

wobbleaf

Hey all, I sent in my grasshopper for repairs over 3 years ago and still haven't gotten it back yet. They've been saying it's "soon ready" for about two years and even said it was ready about half a year ago but have since reneged on that claim. Have any of you experienced this? I'm not sure this is the right place to be posting this question, so apologies if it isn't. Thanks in advance ❤️

WhyAreWeWaiting

Hey all, I sent in my grasshopper for repairs over 3 years ago and still haven't gotten it back yet. They've been saying it's "soon ready" for about two years and even said it was ready about half a year ago but have since reneged on that claim. Have any of you experienced this? I'm not sure this is the right place to be posting this question, so apologies if it isn't. Thanks in advance ❤️
I think you can forget about getting your Grasshopper repaired. They've been trying to get GH users to upgrade to the IO. They allow a trade in value on the faulty GH. But beware. Apart from the different coloured LED, the IO is plagued with the same reliability issues as the GH. I've had to RMA mine more than 7 times over a short period since I upgraded. It still typically takes them over a month to repair too. It's been getting longer and longer over time. As far as I can see, the IO is essentially a GH with different lights. Works great for a couple of weeks, sometimes less. Then performance starts to degrade until you struggle to get any vapour from it. Then eventually goes to the LED switches on and then off symptom. No heat.

WhyAreWeWaiting,
  • Sad
Reactions: wobbleaf

WhyAreWeWaiting

@WhyAreWeWaiting Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that :( I have long ago lost hope in them, just curious what experiences others have/have had with them and their device.
It's a pity they still haven't got their act together after all this time. When it works it's great. But mostly it doesn't work. I reckon I've had the use of them for 33% of the time since I bought 2. Work for a month, and then between post and the actual repair I get them back 2 months later. Rinse and repeat.

WhyAreWeWaiting,
Reactions: wobbleaf

JBone65

Then performance starts to degrade until you struggle to get any vapour from it.
I agree these things are finicky and difficult to maintain at best. I've worked thru multiple problems with 7-8 warranty requests and multiple maintenance issues. It only takes a couple of minutes each month to clean the critical components but it will probably eventually plug if you don't do it.

They won't make heat unless air is passing thru. You can draw air thru it when empty to see if it's plugged, air should flow freely. Mine would plug monthly if not cleaned. There is a chance this explains the frustrating, diminishing symptoms described, it might seem like an element failure. Plugging might be the main drawback of the io design. I like the small opening because it doesn't leak weed or stink.

You can unplug the mouthpiece opening with a dull toothpick or a pin. You only get a tiny amount of resin but that's all it takes to plug it. You can look thru it at a bright light everytime you load it to see if it's plugged or it will happen soon.

I've heard the heating element can plug with fines if routinely packing or stirring the load. Haven't experienced plugging on the intake side. You can see daylight thru the ports if clear.

Maybe this will help some poor io user avoid problems.👍😃☮️

Last edited:

Kinick23

quoting my post from a few days ago ... these o-rings fit my drip tips and provide a snug fit with the performance frontend ...
@warren0728 i picked them up but they’re thinner than the original that shipped with the glass mouthpiece and definitely doesn’t fit, I need a thicker size. How did it work on yours?

hey bro I picked these up but they’re thinner than the one that ships with the glass mouthpiece and don’t fit.

how did you get it to work? You can see for comparison the stock o-ring is thicker
C2-F530-AE-8298-4-F67-BE30-D9-B6-B8-DAD2-E9.jpg

Kinick23,

warren0728

hey bro I picked these up but they’re thinner than the one that ships with the glass mouthpiece and don’t fit.

how did you get it to work? You can see for comparison the stock o-ring is thicker
C2-F530-AE-8298-4-F67-BE30-D9-B6-B8-DAD2-E9.jpg
i do not have the glass mouthpiece from grasshopper ... i have some generic drip tips ... the o-rings i linked to are just a touch thicker than the o-rings that came on the generic drip tips (see photo)

o-rings.jpg

o-ring that came with the generic drip tips is on the left and the slightly thicker o-ring i linked to is on the right ...

getting the right size for me was trial and error ... i ordered a couple of other sizes and they were too thick which prevented the drip tip from being inserted in the performance front end ...

i can send you the ones that didn't work for me (too thick) to see if they work for you

RustyOldNail

RESULTS:

Approximately how LONG does it take to charge an empty GHB3 battery using the supplied MAGNETIC USB charger cable?

I just tested my 1st one, ran it down till DEAD, approximately 3 volts.
Used a 2.1 amp iPad USB charger.
After 4 hours, the double flash LED light full charge confirmation did NOT activate.
Pulled battery, read 4 volts with meter. So it was getting a charge, and I realize this magnetic charger is going to be slow, but FOUR HOURS, and still not full to 4.2 (standard lithium cutoff voltage)

My USB inline meter showed the device taking bursts of up to 1.2 amps then dropping to almost nothing, then repeating this cycle. I switched to a 1 amp Apple iPhone charger, device was pulling 700-800 mAh’s, a slower but better rate for a 750mAh rated battery, but the on/off cycling continued.

While I can custom set my external charger settings, being able to use the magnetic cable is attractive as you aren’t constantly taking the backend on and off so often. I also bought the little charger stand from @Delta3DStudios, and thought it would be handy just to plop the IO right in for top up charges.

So thanks in advance.... will do more tests.

Approximately how LONG does it take to charge an empty GHB3 battery using the supplied MAGNETIC USB charger cable?

Top Bottom