Discontinued Hopper io

eideal852

Im back! Update on my warranty claim for my grey Ti io that stopped heating up after 2 months of use.

After a couple weeks of radio silence from hopper labs, after having been told that my order “would likely ship next week!” they finally responded that my replacement had been sent. Joy! Super happy ill finally get to use it again after a 2 month waiting period!

Is what someone would say if they were dealing with any other company. Nope, my hell shall continue.

1. The replacement they sent me doesn’t fit the back end that I have. It’s like the threads are to small, my backend doesn’t screw in all the way.

2. It’s not even grey! It’s fkn plain! I suspect it’s not even the Ti version and they sent me a SS one, which is why my backend doesn’t fit ( This is my theory)

God Why did I choose to play russian roulette with the most incompetent company in the world??? I should have bought from another company, I hate hopper labs with an absolute passion, I will never buy another product from these thieves again. I’m convinced that half the posters here are hopper labs employees just keeping up appearances so they can keep selling their shitty unreliable product.
yep, even though my IO still ticks along, i had to buy it as they never made with my og blue ti i sent in

JBone65

Im back! Update on my warranty claim for my grey Ti io that stopped heating up after 2 months of use.
Very sorry to hear about your problem. Would you mind telling us how it failed?

I'm wondering how much of this problem is attributable to HL offering a variety of materials and colors. I've heard of folks waiting a long time for Ti models in certain colors. I suppose replacement colored parts would also be slower to ship. I suspect HL doesn't maintain a complete inventory of parts for immediate shipment (immediate might be a week or two in this case).

I think I read where the io threads were improved, HL might have sent an old SS body. Don't see how a miscommunication this severe could occur since the warranty is tied to a serial number.

My waiting times have been in the 2-3 week range. This must be further away.

Are current SS models having similar delays and failure issues? All I know is that my SS io has worked for almost 13 months.

Last edited:
JBone65,
Reactions: Tweakz

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I think I read where the io threads were improved, HL might have sent an old SS body. Don't see how a miscommunication this severe could occur since the warranty is tied to a serial number.
It sounds like they sent an OG replacement part. I don’t think the color of the unit would vary the thread threads within the IO lineup. I have TI versions for the OG and IO and they are interchangeable but I don’t like the threading this way and don’t do it. The threading is definitely improved a bit with the IO.

You’d think the serial number much less HL would matter. Was the unit registered? I never bothered to register my IO 12 months ago (still runs flawlessly). It’s remarkable HL keeps shooting itself in the foot with mistakes like this. :bang::peace:

Vaporific,

Tweakz

I still believe that someday HL will reach a decent CS level. After all, IO is such a wonderful device when it works. Not much time has passed, but mine works amazingly. And I'm glad that such a cool dude and store as @VGOODIEZ also continues to support hopper users

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I still believe that someday HL will reach a decent CS level. After all, IO is such a wonderful device when it works. Not much time has passed, but mine works amazingly. And I'm glad that such a cool dude and store as @VGOODIEZ also continues to support hopper users

@VGOODIEZ
Scott is the only reason I decided to jump down this rabbit hole. I’ve had a mostly disinterested eye on this company since the OG “Grasshopper”, the new updated Hopper IO sucked me back in, at least enough to go back and read most of this thread. My take away was as many have stated: “Great device when it works, not great customer support”.

The lack of acceptable CS, main reason I stay away from many products. When I learned Scott of VGOODIEZ was carrying Hopper products, and as I’ve done business with him before, and find him one of the most honest vendors in this market, I RECONSIDERED...... and YES... ordered through him, the Titanium version and the performance MP, for water rig use, and extra batteries. This will be my most expensive “portable” device, I’m sure if it operates properly, I’ll be happy with the results from all the positive input here. And if there are any issues, at least I know in advance what the negative side of the rabbit hole looks like in advance.

NOTE: Want to thank all the members that posted, both positives and negatives, in this thread. It was a tough decision, especially at the price point, but I decided to ROLL THE DICE.....

JBone65

I'm still wondering if it's a trap to pay more for a fancy Ti device. In theory they work the same, but it sounds like there could be extra delays for the original unit, and more delays later on for replacement parts, when needed.

IMO it's a complicated device and repairs are inevitable. I have a friend who never registered his blue Ti OG. I really like the warranty. That drew me in because it implies that HL is committed to "make it right" and keep me stoned long term. Without the warranty it probably would be a short term relationship.

A SS Grasshopper io might be more reliable if considering shipping delays. Also shipping delays might be more painful if international. HL tends to understated delays.

RustyOldNail

As many have said before, and the more I thought about it I agree.

This company should END the “catch/hook”, of LIFETIME WARRANTY.

WHY?.......

1) It makes customers angry when their product is not repaired or replaced in a timely manor, meaning WEEKS, not months or years. So they just get more and more backed up, folks write bad reviews/comments, which of course leads to a loss of potential sales, and repeat business and orders.

2) I can’t think of many, off the top of my head, none.... that offer a lifetime warranty, on any product in any business. Most common these days is the usual 6 months to a year. So if Hopper Labs offered a 5 year warranty, compared to most other shorter ones, I’d still be impressed! After that period, a decent “paid repair policy”, like most. All units bought already retain the original policy, then you announce the new warranty going forward. It’s obviously not working well for them in its current form.

3) Then more time for product repair, development, and simply responding to every customer in 24-48 hours. How about an auto response system for shipping updates, like even the tiny one person shop/vendors have setup. These folks may be brilliant, but all I’d say to them.. is... just TREAT PEOPLE as YOU would want to be TREATED!
Geez, especially if they are CUSTOMERS!

Even in SneakyPete’s online video review of the IO, he mentions, a lifetime warranty is meaningless if the customer never gets the problem solved. Whether you like Apple Corp., or not, they run a pretty efficient store, model your company after a successful example.

JBone65

a lifetime warranty is meaningless if the customer never gets the problem solved.
True.

However, HL's warranty has always come thru for me since 2016. The warranty is the main attraction IMO. It's a good business model IF they can eek out a profit and continue to grow.

Based on my experience, failures appear to be less frequent with the SS io. I've only had one in 13 months.

I'm a U.S. customer. Although there were two well documented problems that required painful re-designs and lengthy delays, other repairs/replacements were completed in 2-4 weeks.

HL has never disputed a claim of mine. While not fast, they methodically handled every claim. (Note: I've been very careful to handle the unit properly and not void the warranty.)

They used to have a complicated troubleshooting flow chart for the OG. If you could diagnose the problem correctly and communicate clearly with HL they would send the correct part or tell you to send the device in for repairs. The io is supposedly simpler so the flow chart went away. I'm guessing that miscommunications still result in some avoidable delays. Still wondering how they could send an OG body to replace an io body, that sounds like a miscommunication and a process failure combined.

I also remember how frustrated I was when the re-design delays occurred in 2018 (8-9 months for me) and early 2020 (3 months). After a few years I realized that HL was doing the best they could and that they would come thru so I just relaxed and went back to whatever fucked up method I was using before while waiting. Nothing makes you appreciate an io more than having to revert to another method for a few weeks (or months).

Getting angry at HL is comparable to a puppy getting angry with mama because her teet isn't putting out enough milk. We all need milk...

Edit: I can see how the lifetime warranty would be problematic for international customers and less profitable for HL due to high shipping costs, language barriers, etc.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

After a couple weeks of radio silence from hopper labs, after having been told that my order “would likely ship next week!” they finally responded that my replacement had been sent. Joy! Super happy ill finally get to use it again after a 2 month waiting period!

Is what someone would say if they were dealing with any other company. Nope, my hell shall continue.

1. The replacement they sent me doesn’t fit the back end that I have. It’s like the threads are to small, my backend doesn’t screw in all the way.

2. It’s not even grey! It’s fkn plain! I suspect it’s not even the Ti version and they sent me a SS one, which is why my backend doesn’t fit ( This is my theory)

God Why did I choose to play russian roulette with the most incompetent company in the world??? I should have bought from another company, I hate hopper labs with an absolute passion, I will never buy another product from these thieves again. I’m convinced that half the posters here are hopper labs employees just keeping up appearances so they can keep selling their shitty unreliable product.
That sucks, but I guess it goes two ways, either really good or really bad. The muck up you're seeing is super frustrating and an outlying experience, far from robbery, yet bad enough to warrant complaints.

The fact they've sent you the wrong version is plainly stupid and counterproductive for everyone, but it shouldn't actually prevent function. As it isn't fitting that's a whole different issue. Despite that trying to use it might implicate swapping it over, technically given the warranty, but it's unlikely to actually matter as it is a fairly arbitrary operation.

Yes this is a gamble of a purchase, it's a funny gadget made in America by upstarters and it is equally woeful and amazing.
The only reason it is ever appreciated is because of the plant put inside it, and what it should do with that is a hard to obtain process.

I fired up the sublimator last weekend and through this week, it is a whole different level, but equally as ridiculous to get your hands on. Actually more difficult with better dividends.

It's a pity that it's like this... I would have thought by now things would be different. Slowly things are starting to become less unobtanium like, check out the Xmax V3 Pro.

MoltenTiger,

eideal852

True.

However, HL's warranty has always come thru for me since 2016. The warranty is the main attraction IMO. It's a good business model IF they can eek out a profit and continue to grow.

Based on my experience, failures appear to be less frequent with the SS io. I've only had one in 13 months.

I'm a U.S. customer. Although there were two well documented problems that required painful re-designs and lengthy delays, other repairs/replacements were completed in 2-4 weeks.

HL has never disputed a claim of mine. While not fast, they methodically handled every claim. (Note: I've been very careful to handle the unit properly and not void the warranty.)

They used to have a complicated troubleshooting flow chart for the OG. If you could diagnose the problem correctly and communicate clearly with HL they would send the correct part or tell you to send the device in for repairs. The io is supposedly simpler so the flow chart went away. I'm guessing that miscommunications still result in some avoidable delays. Still wondering how they could send an OG body to replace an io body, that sounds like a miscommunication and a process failure combined.

I also remember how frustrated I was when the re-design delays occurred in 2018 (8-9 months for me) and early 2020 (3 months). After a few years I realized that HL was doing the best they could and that they would come thru so I just relaxed and went back to whatever fucked up method I was using before while waiting. Nothing makes you appreciate an io more than having to revert to another method for a few weeks (or months).

Getting angry at HL is comparable to a puppy getting angry with mama because her teet isn't putting out enough milk. We all need milk...

Edit: I can see how the lifetime warranty would be problematic for international customers and less profitable for HL due to high shipping costs, language barriers, etc.
yeah, good for you, but it's just as common (more) to wait over a year. A YEAR! and then presented with an option to just pay for the new one. gtfo with that shit

eideal852,

JBone65

but it's just as common (more) to wait over a year. A YEAR!
When did this occur and what did HL say during this time? Was it an inventory shortage for a particular Ti color? Are you outside the U.S.? If so, similar delays might be predictable under similar circumstances going forward. Just trying to understand your situation. There has to be more to the story.

JBone65,

eideal852

When did this occur and what did HL say during this time? Was it an inventory shortage for a particular Ti color? Are you outside the U.S.? If so, similar delays might be predictable under similar circumstances going forward. Just trying to understand your situation. There has to be more to the story.
yeah its okay, im not heated :rolleyes: blue ti. early 2019 rma. "completed repair" juuuuust before the fire.
then no communication other than responses to my about every 6 week nagging.
finally offered a discount/sent me an io a year and a half later.

i know the fire is different, but its just another "what is it this time" excuse like from a deadbeat relative. yeah yeah yeah

eideal852,

JBone65

blue ti. early 2019 rma. "completed repair" juuuuust before the fire
I bought a blue Ti OG for a friend in Sept 2018. I had been waiting for mine to be repaired for 7 months at the time, but still had a positive attitude, and my buddy had expressed interest, so I asked HL for a discount. They gave me a 20% discount on a new blue one just because I asked. He only used it a few weeks, prefers disposable vape pens (he's an idiot). I keep thinking he'll give it back to me...

JBone65,

eideal852

I bought a blue Ti OG for a friend in Sept 2018. I had been waiting for mine to be repaired for 7 months at the time, but still had a positive attitude, and my buddy had expressed interest, so I asked HL for a discount. They gave me a 20% discount on a new blue one just because I asked. He only used it a few weeks, prefers disposable vape pens (he's an idiot). I keep thinking he'll give it back to me...
All roads point to “the best when it works”
that doesnt negate the piss poor communication and repair limbo. leveraging your ability to absorb margins in order to satisfy a customer isnt the same as repairing or replacing through warranty. ALL of my grasshopper dollars are real dollars, as opposed to the 35% retail cost they can play with. all good. I did it. I like it. I hate them.
ehhhh. I don’t even hate them, But it feels silly to hold your breath for any amount of time pretending they’ll get the CS side of it together

edit: and that’s okay, I’m in bed with a lot of the same. In fact, maybe we should inherently distrust anyone in the MJ space that IS all business :uhoh:

MoltenTiger

the best when it works
Maybe it's the best portable when working... but that's not a huge victory. There is still a strong element of 'good enough' unless it is running hot and out of spec, in which case it will eventually die. Up until it does, maybe it's better than just good enough, but it's still just another gadget with its own nuances and utility. Really good features that will be missed when lacking.

HL have had as fair a crack as anyone in the portable scene, easily exerting much more effort than they're given credit and as turbulent as it is, they are still more reputable than some others, at least in my books. YMMV

JBone65

It's a relatively new dynamic industry. Device quality, reliability and capability have improved over the last five years and should continue. IMO the fact that the grasshopper io works very well 'sometimes' puts it ahead of most of the portable competition, which have no real hope of satisfying a demanding user. Not an expert but I suspect all oven-style portable devices on the market today were obsolete years ago.

There probably needs to be some sort of standards or reliable consumer reporting n vaporizers. HL might have set a standard for portable vaporizers, or they might have damaged their reputation beyond repair.

Despite the problems some have experienced, my io has worked very well and has been extremely enjoyable for 13 months. HL has had serious problems in the past but they stood by the lifetime warranty since 2016 (from my perspective). Considering the lifetime warranty, I recommend the SS io for any U.S. resident who wants premium hits and/or wants to get the most THC out of a given amount of weed. It will easily pay for itself if you use it correctly. It is more efficient than combustion or most vapes so it can make weed last longer. With patience you should be able to achieve a 90-95% run time over the course of a few years. Be aware that the 5-10% downtime can seem traumatic. Can't recommend any of the more expensive colored titanium models due to possible inventory delays, including repair delays. If outside the U.S. shipping delays and/or legal issues might turn out to be a problem.

Edit:. Just got a killer hit. I hope everyone is enjoying the same.

Last edited:

eideal852

It's a relatively new dynamic industry. Device quality, reliability and capability have improved over the last five years and should continue. IMO the fact that the grasshopper io works very well 'sometimes' puts it ahead of most of the portable competition, which have no real hope of satisfying a demanding user. Not an expert but I suspect all oven-style portable devices on the market today were obsolete years ago.

There probably needs to be some sort of standards or reliable consumer reporting n vaporizers. HL might have set a standard for portable vaporizers, or they might have damaged their reputation beyond repair.

Despite the problems some have experienced, my io has worked very well and has been extremely enjoyable for 13 months. HL has had serious problems in the past but they stood by the lifetime warranty since 2016 (from my perspective). I recommend the SS io for any U.S. resident who wants premium hits and/or wants to get the most THC out of a given amount of weed. It will easily pay for itself if you use it correctly. It is more efficient than combustion or most vapes so it can make weed last longer. With patience you should be able to achieve a 90-95% run time over the course of a few years. Be aware that the 5-10% downtime can seem traumatic. Can't recommend any of the more expensive colored titanium models due to possible inventory delays, including repair delays. If outside the U.S. shipping delays and/or legal issues might turn out to be a problem.

I brought it out and it hammered me, no argument there.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Despite the problems some have experienced, my io has worked very well and has been extremely enjoyable for 13 months. HL has had serious problems in the past but they stood by the lifetime warranty since 2016 (from my perspective). I recommend the SS io for any U.S. resident who wants premium hits and/or wants to get the most THC out of a given amount of weed. It will easily pay for itself if you use it correctly. It is more efficient than combustion or most vapes so it can make weed last longer. With patience you should be able to achieve a 90-95% run time over the course of a few years. Be aware that the 5-10% downtime can seem traumatic. Can't recommend any of the more expensive colored titanium models due to possible inventory delays, including repair delays. If outside the U.S. shipping delays and/or legal issues might turn out to be a problem.

Quite a bit I'd like to respond to here.
" Not an expert but I suspect all oven-style portable devices on the market today were obsolete years ago."
I'm not even sure what you mean by this. Conduction vapes? are obsolete? Has anyone told the Pax people?
How's about the S&B line of hybrids? These names are still selling vapes by the tens of thousands.

"HL might have set a standard for portable vaporizers, or they might have damaged their reputation beyond repair."
I believe they've both raised the bar on vaporizers and destroyed their reputation. They had to re-brand the product and relaunch their website twice to try to outrun the trail of tears behind them.

"There probably needs to be some sort of standards or reliable consumer reporting n vaporizers."
Troy and Jerry.

"With patience you should be able to achieve a 90-95% run time over the course of a few years."
Patience is my middle name, not restraint. I've had 6 hoppers/io's with countless replacements over the years, nowhere near the success rate you have experienced.
The fact that you only use the io for one to two chambers a day might be skewing your reporting? What if you used it 10x more than you do now? Would that be incorrect use of the product? An excuse for failure?

"Just got a killer hit. I hope everyone is enjoying the same."
Yep! three bowls in already today :nod: (I'm up early!) and ready to get at it...been getting some fall planting into the veggie garden.

RustyOldNail

QUESTION for Grasshopper/Hopper IO “TITANIUM” owners:

Anyone using either TITANIUM model for awhile have or notice any issues with the front or backend THREADS?

Since you have to unscrew the front for every load, and the back to change batteries, I’m concerned about potential for “galling”, which titanium is susceptible to. I’ve spent the past few days mostly on the flashlight forums, as there are many posts on using proper LUBES on titanium & aluminum flashlight threads.

I’ll report my findings, but wondered if anyone has had any issues, one poster in this thread mentioned not screwing the mouthpiece in TOO TIGHT, as it can get stuck.

Thanks!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@RustyOldNail I think you just want to keep it clean as possible??

"There probably needs to be some sort of standards or reliable consumer reporting n vaporizers."
Troy and Jerry.

I wanted to reply to that comment as well, but I disagree with your response, I think the standard and reliable consumer reporting is all here on FC! Just takes proper research ;)

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Anyone using either TITANIUM model for awhile have or notice any issues with the front or backend THREADS?

Since you have to unscrew the front for every load, and the back to change batteries, I’m concerned about potential for “galling”, which titanium is susceptible to. I’ve spent the past few days mostly on the flashlight forums, as there are many posts on using proper LUBES on titanium & aluminum flashlight threads.

I’ll report my findings, but wondered if anyone has had any issues, one poster in this thread mentioned not screwing the mouthpiece in TOO TIGHT, as it can get stuck.

Thanks!
The front end sticking is more about it getting resin-glued to the end of the chamber, and so, it's difficult to remove. Applies to all hoppers and many other vapes, I guess.

Galling was discussed extensively in the old Grasshopper thread. Measures included cleaning threads with Blu-tac, alcohol, etc. and some folks talked about more specific products like Deoxit. (I note that for some reason Deoxit products were removed form the "Grasshopper Fixes" thread over in Resources.)
Cleaning back end threads was to improve conductivity. I found the blu-tak seemed to work - a lot of dark gray matter removed with cleaning. Some dirt, some gall-stuff? idk
I don't have a Ti io to compare, but I think the issue is likely settled with the brass threads.

I wanted to reply to that comment as well, but I disagree with your response, I think the standard and reliable consumer reporting is all here on FC! Just takes proper research ;)
I was being a little funny there, just didn't put any smiley...
Completely agree with you on this one!

RustyOldNail

The front end sticking is more about it getting resin-glued to the end of the chamber, and so, it's difficult to remove. Applies to all hoppers and many other vapes, I guess.

Galling was discussed extensively in the old Grasshopper thread. Measures included cleaning threads with Blu-tac, alcohol, etc. and some folks talked about more specific products like Deoxit. (I note that for some reason Deoxit products were removed form the "Grasshopper Fixes" thread over in Resources.)
Cleaning back end threads was to improve conductivity. I found the blu-tak seemed to work - a lot of dark gray matter removed with cleaning. Some dirt, some gall-stuff? idk
I don't have a Ti io to compare, but I think the issue is likely settled with the brass threads.

I was being a little funny there, just didn't put any smiley...
Completely agree with you on this one!

Most likely because most Deoxit types are more for cleaning, and improving contact on plated material, like “gold” connectors. It’s not really a LUBE. I’ve read many of those posts, but figured best to ask here to see if anyone had any personal experience with their TITANIUM THREADS. thanks

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...

Thanks!
Haven’t had any threading issues with my Ti IO in 12+ months. In fact the threads all around are better and smoother. Also, I think the threads themselves are different material than the OG (I have a Ti of this as well). The IO threads are gold or perhaps gold plated.

While subtle the IO enhancements are slight improvements over the OG: threads (see above) and definitely the frontend internals (screen and cone). Material is less prone getting stuck in the tracks in the IO and I think the method the screen is attached is a bit different. I’ve never had an issue screwing in the IO’s frontend like I’ve had with the OG (screen unloosens a bit preventing the frontend from screwing on all the way -> OCD trigger for yours truly :) ). HL posted herein when they were rolling out the IO (not much since, lol) about lots of the enhancements but, yes, threading is certainly one of them - and improved IMO. Indeed, light ISO and Blu-Tac is all I use on both of my Hopper’s threads.

I wanted to dwell a bit on HL in general per some of the comments above but don’t have the time. In short, they’re coming along but still have a ways to go and haven’t shown drastic improvements in maturity, quality and customer service. Some have had nothing but great experiences (aside from actual vaping) while others have not and continue to get a runaround from HL. I’ve been on both ends of the spectrum, well more moderate on the positive side and certainly the end of the negative side. I’ll leave it at that. TGIF! I’ll be using my TI on the way to the gym and afterward this evening. :peace: :peace:

Vaporific,

RustyOldNail

Haven’t had any threading issues with my Ti IO in 12+ months. In fact the threads all around are better and smoother. Also, I think the threads themselves are different material than the OG (I have a Ti of this as well). The IO threads are gold or perhaps gold plated.

While subtle the IO enhancements are slight improvements over the OG: threads (see above) and definitely the frontend internals (screen and cone). Material is less prone getting stuck in the tracks in the IO and I think the method the screen is attached is a bit different. I’ve never had an issue screwing in the IO’s frontend like I’ve had with the OG (screen unloosens a bit preventing the frontend from screwing on all the way -> OCD trigger for yours truly :) ). HL posted herein when they were rolling out the IO (not much since, lol) about lots of the enhancements but, yes, threading is certainly one of them - and improved IMO. Indeed, light ISO and Blu-Tac is all I use on both of my Hopper’s threads.

I wanted to dwell a bit on HL in general per some of the comments above but don’t have the time. In short, they’re coming along but still have a ways to go and haven’t shown drastic improvements in maturity, quality and customer service. Some have had nothing but great experiences (aside from actual vaping) while others have not and continue to get a runaround from HL. I’ve been on both ends of the spectrum, well more moderate on the positive side and certainly the end of the negative side. I’ll leave it at that. TGIF! I’ll be using my TI on the way to the gym and afterward this evening. :peace: :peace:

Thanks, that’s HELPFUL feedback on the threads. Mine should be in my hands today, depending on the usual horrible post office!

Anyone else have good or bad to report on their titanium threads? I’ll let you know my findings on lubes as I gather more information. For all my mods and ALUMINUM devices I use Nyogel (suggested for TM battery cap with its soft aluminum threads), but titanium is a different animal. :)

RustyOldNail,
Top Bottom