• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Our celebration of the lifting of the prohibition in NY was small, at home, and we were effervescent. :party:
These old hollow stem glasses make a fountain of bubbles rise up from the bottom. :smug:
We also already received our stimmy money :tup:
and had our 2nd Covid vaccinations a week ago. :goon:
I am totally feeling like an April Fool and lovin' it. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20210331_180614.jpg

The 'setups' here are our current default io mode when not using some larger glass (though none of our glass is very large).
Both are ss io's with pfe's attached. We prefer the more open draw from pfe. Slid onto it is a short length of silicone tubing that adds a nice grip for screwing/unscrewing. It also helps me tell them apart.
On right, there's a ss drip tip added (for wife) and on the left a 14mm f to 18mm m glass adapter (for me!).

AK-47

Congratulations, this is exactly like I would celebrate if this would happen in our country :)

Btw. can you tell me more about the mouth pieces on the hoppers?

Our celebration of the lifting of the prohibition in NY was small, at home, and we were effervescent. :party:
These old hollow stem glasses make a fountain of bubbles rise up from the bottom. :smug:
We also already received our stimmy money :tup:
and had our 2nd Covid vaccinations a week ago. :goon:
I am totally feeling like an April Fool and lovin' it. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

View attachment 6818

The 'setups' here are our current default io mode when not using some larger glass (though none of our glass is very large).
Both are ss io's with pfe's attached. We prefer the more open draw from pfe. Slid onto it is a short length of silicone tubing that adds a nice grip for screwing/unscrewing. It also helps me tell them apart.
On right, there's a ss drip tip added (for wife) and on the left a 14mm f to 18mm m glass adapter (for me!).

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Congratulations, this is exactly like I would celebrate if this would happen in our country :)

Btw. can you tell me more about the mouth pieces on the hoppers?
Hi, and thank you.
The drip tip is a "510", which appears to be a standard size.
The little silicone ring has lasted for months. I've read that a drip tip with two rings might get a better grab in the pfe. This one is snug enough to stay, especially once there's some resin on it, but I would still prefer a little tighter fit. Definitely helps with reducing heat on the lips, and slightly cooler vapor, I believe.
The links are to US sites; idk what you may find.
1617789940962.png

The glass is a very common adapter, as I said 14mm female-to-18mm male.
No problems whatsoever with heat, and even this small amount of glass provides some vapor cooling.

But, alas! the io on the left in photo (new July '20) broke down yesterday. When clicked, light flashes briefly, then off. I've already opened a warranty request.

AK-47

Short update from my side. I'm still waiting for my hopper.

After hopper labs created the shipping label on the 17th of February, they shipped it with USPS on the 20th of March. (They took 1 month).

It arrived in my European home country on the 26th of March. And since then it's in customs clearance which can take a couple of days or weeks.

Good luck if you order outside of the US!

I don't even know what I will do if a part breaks or if the unit is not working. I guess it was a big mistake to order as a European but time will tell...

cliffhanger1

Short update from my side. I'm still waiting for my hopper.

After hopper labs created the shipping label on the 17th of February, they shipped it with USPS on the 20th of March. (They took 1 month).

It arrived in my European home country on the 26th of March. And since then it's in customs clearance which can take a couple of days or weeks.

Good luck if you order outside of the US!

I don't even know what I will do if a part breaks or if the unit is not working. I guess it was a big mistake to order as a European but time will tell...
oh, everything will work out fine. :) Today in the year 2021, an shipment to another continent is a joke.
It can happen that it goes through without customs, but mostly not if it is correctly declared. But it is normal to have taxes and customs duties.
Everything will be fine, it can only take a while at customs. I also think that you get a working device, and I hope without errors or missing parts or something. But hey first think positively, that will be fine at the end! :)

i am from europe too, and i very often buys from HL and i was always happy..one time there was a problem because the pakage got stuck with customs for months and could no longer be found. But HL has sent a new shipment, and one time some screens were missing once (but since everything else was perfect the time before i can possibly get over it)

AK-47

oh, everything will work out fine. :) Today in the year 2021, an shipment to another continent is a joke.
It can happen that it goes through without customs, but mostly not if it is correctly declared. But it is normal to have taxes and customs duties.
Everything will be fine, it can only take a while at customs. I also think that you get a working device, and I hope without errors or missing parts or something. But hey first think positively, that will be fine at the end! :)

Thx for the heads up! Will post a picture and short review as soon as the hopper arrives
:D

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Re; issue I mentioned above, io not powering on. I tested with parts from a working io and isolated the issue to 'something' in the body. Reported that on the warranty portal and heard back the same day.
HL will send a new body, but first I have to return the old one. I mailed it yesterday, we'll see how long the turnaround is.
My hope is that this coincides with a 4/20 battery sale and I can combine with the body they're sending, and have the postage absorbed by HL.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Blue Ti Hopper io has finally landed, more than a year after ordering.
Just used it out of the box without charging the battery first. Had about 4 bowls at 3 and was blown away!
Needs a coarser grind for optimal performance.
A nice upgrade over my OG SS!

AK-47

Ok, here is my review. Hope this helps others with their decision to buy or not to buy.

IMG_0118.jpeg

Setup

Current Vape background: My main driver is the Fury Edge, next to the Dynavap M, S&B Crafty and Davinci IQ.
Grinder: I used the S&B grinder for a long time. Recently I bought the SL and am very happy with the quality and ease of use.
Herb: Since I became a medical patient I was able to acquire some Warlock from Tilray (https://lift.co/cannabis/strains/tilray-warlock-cbd). It's not a herb review but I jut want to say that this stuff is amazing. I liked to use Amnesia Haze, and similar strains but the 10% THC and 10% CBD makes it the perfect strain for most occasions. It came even to the point where I don't want to use very strains with a very high thc profile (e.g. ghost train haze) anymore.

Hopper​

Packaging: It looks like an apple product, very sleek and nice. I was slightly irritated by the new printed warning label that warns against leaving the device by itself when charging the battery. I don't want my house to burn down. But I took the risk and the battery got charged without a fire.
Content: I ordered an extra battery and together with the usb loading cable and the hopper itself I got everything I needed. After a text message from @cliffhanger1 I found out that I would've needed to order the silicone tip extra. This sucks a bit since I thought it's part of the package.
Design: The device looks amazing, has a nice titanium finish and is stealthy as f**k! I could place it on my desk and no one would notice it's a vape.
Handling: I'd love for the pusher/trigger to be a little easier to push, however it makes sense from a product perspective to make it harder so that it doesn't happen by accident. Other then that the dial is quite easy to use. No app needed, which is great. You get the hang out of it in a minute.
Vapor: After all the other vapes I've used so far I was blown away by the extraction power. I still need to get used to the fact that it's enough to draw only a little since the extraction is so powerful. This is the first time that I was able to extract some proper vapour at 170 degrees celsius. I normally don't do that but just wanted to test it. The vapour is very dense and thick. However compared to the Edge where I have a longer glas mouthpiece I almost don't taste the herb at all. If I draw too much I feel the hot air quickly and afterwards soreness in my throat and lung. Since I like microdosing and only take small zips this is great since I was not able to do that with the other vapes. But if you want to inhale longer the Edge or the Crafty are easer and better to use.

Summary

This is a great device for specific use cases. I understand why many people think it's the best out there. Especially features like convection, no heat-up time and the low draw resistance mixed with the form factor and stealthiness make it stand out from the crowd. I hope to find a good minimalist solution to cool down the vapour path a bit (maybe drip tip). I tried to connect my DynaVap M, but this did not work. A silicion mouth pice should've been included for that price imho. I never go above 200 degrees celsius but it can get pretty hot. Looking forward to testing the device more and will keep you updated. One last thing, if you order outside of the US you might pay additional taxes. For me it was 50 € additional.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Ok, here is my review. Hope this helps others with their decision to buy or not to buy.

View attachment 7033

Setup

Current Vape background: My main driver is the Fury Edge, next to the Dynavap M, S&B Crafty and Davinci IQ.
Grinder: I used the S&B grinder for a long time. Recently I bought the SL and am very happy with the quality and ease of use.
Herb: Since I became a medical patient I was able to acquire some Warlock from Tilray (https://lift.co/cannabis/strains/tilray-warlock-cbd). It's not a herb review but I jut want to say that this stuff is amazing. I liked to use Amnesia Haze, and similar strains but the 10% THC and 10% CBD makes it the perfect strain for most occasions. It came even to the point where I don't want to use very strains with a very high thc profile (e.g. ghost train haze) anymore.

Hopper​

Packaging: It looks like an apple product, very sleek and nice. I was slightly irritated by the new printed warning label that warns against leaving the device by itself when charging the battery. I don't want my house to burn down. But I took the risk and the battery got charged without a fire.
Content: I ordered an extra battery and together with the usb loading cable and the hopper itself I got everything I needed. After a text message from @cliffhanger1 I found out that I would've needed to order the silicone tip extra. This sucks a bit since I thought it's part of the package.
Design: The device looks amazing, has a nice titanium finish and is stealthy as f**k! I could place it on my desk and no one would notice it's a vape.
Handling: I'd love for the pusher/trigger to be a little easier to push, however it makes sense from a product perspective to make it harder so that it doesn't happen by accident. Other then that the dial is quite easy to use. No app needed, which is great. You get the hang out of it in a minute.
Vapor: After all the other vapes I've used so far I was blown away by the extraction power. I still need to get used to the fact that it's enough to draw only a little since the extraction is so powerful. This is the first time that I was able to extract some proper vapour at 170 degrees celsius. I normally don't do that but just wanted to test it. The vapour is very dense and thick. However compared to the Edge where I have a longer glas mouthpiece I almost don't taste the herb at all. If I draw too much I feel the hot air quickly and afterwards soreness in my throat and lung. Since I like microdosing and only take small zips this is great since I was not able to do that with the other vapes. But if you want to inhale longer the Edge or the Crafty are easer and better to use.

Summary

This is a great device for specific use cases. I understand why many people think it's the best out there. Especially features like convection, no heat-up time and the low draw resistance mixed with the form factor and stealthiness make it stand out from the crowd. I hope to find a good minimalist solution to cool down the vapour path a bit (maybe drip tip). I tried to connect my DynaVap M, but this did not work. A silicion mouth pice should've been included for that price imho. I never go above 200 degrees celsius but it can get pretty hot. Looking forward to testing the device more and will keep you updated. One last thing, if you order outside of the US you might pay additional taxes. For me it was 50 € additional.
Nice review, welcome to the club!
The only thing missing for you is a little cooling, a little distance from the heat (like those other vapes you mention have). That includes a wide range of possibilities.
The silicone condoms are okay, but get dirty and loosen over time, and start to feel expensive at 5 or 6 bucks apiece (given what they are). You can shove a short piece of silicone tubing on there and get the same results (easier to do on a pfe -- I hope you got yourself a pfe?). There are better ways than silicone, and I think finding them will be part of the fun.
I believe when you dial it in, you'll find better flavor profile from the io than from those others (except maybe Dynavap, with which I have zero experience).
Remember that you can usually click off a few seconds before the end of your draw, especially a long draw. Vapor will still keep coming, battery will be saved, and io can clear out lingering vapor and cool a little.

JBone65

Bought a grasshopper 3 yrs ago,s uffered thru the SQ problems, then traded up to the IO 6 mos ago. I'm a huge fan. Tried other herb vaporizers and oil pens, found nothing as simple, discreet, clean, efficient or hard-hitting as the IO. My consumption rate is minimized (it pays for itself) and my satisfaction level is maximized with this product. Tried the Da Vinci IQ (expensive, overly complicated, inefficient and (worst of all) weak-hitting. There's no substitute for world class pure-herb convection vape hits as far as I'm concerned. I start at the low temp setting and increase 1/2 mark each hit. Then I get 2 extra (powerful) hits on the top setting. That's 11 powerful hits on a thimble-full of product. I will stand in line for that all day long if necessary and will say "thank you very much Hopper Labs". Once you make the jump to vaporizing raw product, you want the strongest vaporizor available. The only drawback is that it's a personal product, not much good in a group setting IMO.

I start at the low settings. The trick is to pull slowly and steadily to give it a little time to heat the herb. A long slow draw always works for me. You won't see much visible vapor at the lower settings but the flavor will be excellent. Don't exhale just looking for vapor. I'm a registered engineer and I suspect it cooks off different thc compounds as you increase thru the temp settings, as if a diffraction process. The last few hits at the higher settings don't taste as sweet but they will also knock your socks off and produce loads of visible vapor. I like to feel "the tip" get warm or even hot (yikes, that sounded bad).

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I bought a PFE for my new Ti io and actually prefer the regular front end and silicone sock for some reason...
Ditto. I seldom use my PFE. The extra added length doesn’t fit well in the HL leather sleeve (which my IO or OG is always in when in a pocket) nor the leather case from Ratchett. It’s not terrible but a disatisifier IMO. I think the native frontend on the IO is better in draw restriction and the screen doesn’t turn or loosen like it does in my OG’s frontend.

The trick is to pull slowly and steadily to give it a little time to heat the herb.
...and have a good, fully charged battery. I rotate 6 with both my IO and OG, though the OG plays second fiddle to the IO and I don’t use it much even though it still works. 8+ months in with my IO and it works amazingly. It works best with fully charged battery and I can run up and down the temp scale (within reason on both ends, natively of course). Just used it for a little Sunday start to the day. The IO is performing well, fairly consistent clouds, extraction and AVB color.

I was checking some 420 sales (stock already depleted on some sites) and there are a few vapes similarly shaped as a Hopper with removable 18650 batteries. How I wish HL would consider using this in a slightly wider body. I doubt they ever will. :peace:

JBone65

Last comment. It took me a while to figure out how best to use the grasshopper. I found that grinding 1/4 oz at a time and letting it dry in Tupperware helps in several ways. I can unload and load the device in under a minute if the product is dry, there's usually enough fine grind in the container for a full load and it's super easy to grind some more with your fingers if needed. I also suspect the Hopper stays much cleaner if using dry herb, little or no sticky residue unless using clumpy fresh herb. It seems that the thc is the same when dry as long as you don't heat it or leave it open. The end result is better hits with minimal effort.

Last last comment. I noticed that different herbs perform very differently in the IO. Some give stronger hits at the lower setting, very different flavors, etc. Turns out there are big differences between thc compounds in various herbs. Started mixing the herbs together, trying to get a wider range of compounds in each (scatter gun) hit. Is this an example of OCD?

cliffhanger1

Last last comment. I noticed that different herbs perform very differently in the IO. Some give stronger hits at the lower setting, very different flavors, etc. Turns out there are big differences between thc compounds in various herbs. Started mixing the herbs together, trying to get a wider range of compounds in each (scatter gun) hit. Is this an example of OCD?
coincidentally I happen to be familiar with OCD.
from my point of view, this alone is not a sign of OCD ;) more has to come together and stronger than you describe it from my point

happy vaping :)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@JBone65, welcome to the forum. :wave:
I believe you are on the right track, thinking that different cannabinoids, etc. are released as temperature increases. Using this knowledge to adjust the kind of buzz you want at a given time is a level of fine-tuning that combusters cannot achieve.
When you post something, for several hours afterward there is and "edit" button available, so you can just add to the existing. The mods discourage 'back-to-back' posts if they can be avoided.

JBone65

I associate the warming of the IO's tip with a good hit. The product is only a millimeter away from your lips. The warming of the mouthpiece confirms that the entire load has reached the desired temp. It's a fine green herb initially, then it changes to a dark brown waste product after 10 or 11 enjoyable hits.

abcd5432

I know this will sound a little stupid, but I broke my glass adapter for my tinymight for bongs. I'm guessing the shipping will take awhile.

How's the reliability update for this thing going? I remember people in the states were getting this in 2-4 days.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
well several hours ago and the first time I tried it, I put some in the Hopper io and blasted it on mains through my torus. MASSIVE clouds, and a pretty good hit when mixed with CBD flower.
I even refrained from using my car hopper on my way home despite the favourable views, just to go sans delta 9 before sampling.

I couldn't wait for the Sub to heat up, as usual, but the Hopper io is always ready.

Mainly I used the Dabmaster which I guess is the best way to do the sauce product I received today.

I had a fairly large dab second from last, and it was pretty powerful. It's a fairly remarkable thing.

After recovering from the big dab, I used the hopper with pure CBD flower, and it hit different. So I think I have really found a much cheaper and very effective usage pattern for my vaping from here on out. I still prefer ordinary THC flower but I'm getting fed up trying to upkeep a quality stash, it's just not as easy when it's not from a store.

I had this highdea before of a what if, CBD gets this big thumbs up and easy pass because it's not psychedelic - which is basically true, but it's also not all that effective because of that. It's a fairly subjective subject. Luckily I don't have chronic pain, CBD probably helps with that and other serious ailments quite legitimately, but another aspect of ECS stimulation is utilising it as a stress relief and inducing contentedness, which is healthy and important, a fulcrum of experience pivots from some kind of stability. It helps to be grounded and it is useful having compounds that assist with this, which I think THC does a better job. We need air to breath, nutrition for energy, sleep for brain function, plenty of things, amongst which healthy release is paramount.

Maybe everyone should lie and say that delta 8 doesn't do shit like CBD because then it might also get an easier pass into circulation. A lot of people are already saying it, I don't know if I have a different product, or if it effects people differently, or there already is a secret lying agenda.

It seems extremely similar to ordinary delta 9 THC, but with a different signature. I don't think it made me hungry, and it felt slightly different with feint similarities to some research chemicals I've sampled like JWH-018 for eg. (yet still closer to organic THC), and similarly it ticked the box for a full fledged multi-hour experience that will be repeated.
On the (off) topic of delta8 thc, only because we talked about it a while back, and I optimistically ordered some and tried it (oil, in 510 carts).
Unusually clear and weird taste, "enhanced" by added terpenes; I did not relate to this as being the same as cannabis, in taste or effect.
There was a definite "high" type effect that I would call mostly light headedness. No particular visuals, but a slight dreamy feeling (not sleepy). After about 40 minutes I felt a little headache coming on, took a couple more hits and it felt better, but inevitably came back.
After 4 or 5 experiences with it (and wife, too) we both just stopped; though not real bad, it was not super enjoyable, not in the same way cannabis is for us.

slozukimc

To all of you new Hopper owners congrats and here is a tip. Get yourself a Hopper Feeder. You can pull the IO out. Load it. Get a couple big hits, dump it out and put it back in your pocket in way less than a minute. I love mine.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
To all of you new Hopper owners congrats and here is a tip. Get yourself a Hopper Feeder. You can pull the IO out. Load it. Get a couple big hits, dump it out and put it back in your pocket in way less than a minute. I love mine.
Is that the gizmo from Israel? Unique idea however I’ve never used one or even a funnel to load my Hoppers (IO & OG) in 4.5 years. I’ve always used my hands. Pretty simple to make a natural funnel with thumb and pointer finger. Completely understand if one has dexterity issues then a tool would be helpful. For me a loading tool is one more thing to lose (or break) and carry if on-the-go. Plus a loose pocket is warranted (forget the skinny jeans, lol). In the past I’ve used vials to store pre-ground flower which required using a funnel to get the flower in the vial, and can be used to pour into several vapes. Now I use small jarvials which don’t require a funnel to load and can pour those rather easily into a Hopper OR use the suck-straw method with glass stems, e.g. for my Tinymight. I’m very pragmatic and practical - and simple too. To each their own however - all good! :peace:

slozukimc

Is that the gizmo from Israel? Unique idea however I’ve never used one or even a funnel to load my Hoppers (IO & OG) in 4.5 years. I’ve always used my hands. Pretty simple to make a natural funnel with thumb and pointer finger. Completely understand if one has dexterity issues then a tool would be helpful. For me a loading tool is one more thing to lose (or break) and carry if on-the-go. Plus a loose pocket is warranted (forget the skinny jeans, lol). In the past I’ve used vials to store pre-ground flower which required using a funnel to get the flower in the vial, and can be used to pour into several vapes. Now I use small jarvials which don’t require a funnel to load and can pour those rather easily into a Hopper OR use the suck-straw method with glass stems, e.g. for my Tinymight. I’m very pragmatic and practical - and simple too. To each their own however - all good! :peace:
The Hopper Feeder is 2 5/8”x2 1/8”x1” and it holds close to an 1/8th of ground herb. It will fit in all but the smallest of pockets.
I have always been a load with your fingers kind of guy until I got the Feeder. It makes filling the Hopper to a perfect 70%fill every time without even looking at what you are doing easy as pie.
This is a don’t knock it til ya try it kind of thing.

Top Bottom