• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

LongDraw

so been reading this thread for 2 plus years, meaning original and now io thread. Thought this was a nifty device, but hesitant because of the history.

For those who own the io, does it seem worth the chance based on history? would honestly like to add this to my devices, i have enough but this one always looked really nice. kinda bored and in vas mode i guess, just hesitant because i can handle a headache, but don't want to throw 300+ on something that could end up not working out and a long time to get replaced/repaired.

actually have 3 devices and some coil/bat ones i should try to sell, but always a pain with the hassle. maybe try if this would be worth it, then less of a loss if stuff goes sideways.

any thoughts appreciated on the status of the io. hard to get a good idea as not a lot of people are going to chime in on the interent when it is working as it should, but plenty of reports of issues for various reasons.

EDIT: Deleted repetitive wording, and also forgot to add. Think i would go with the stainless, because i think i would like the extra heft. Don't think the extra 5 watts would make a difference for me personally. and based on the website shoudn't be much of a difference otuside of weight and 5 watts unless i missed soemthing.

LongDraw,

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Sounds like maybe your batteries are weak? My IO only goes it low power mode after a few bowls. Never from hitting it too hard. It keeps up no matter how hard I hit it until the bowl is done.
Yeah that's part of it for sure, but even with brand new batteries if I put it on 5 and start ripping instantly it does it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Has anyone with a new io sent it in for repairs over the last few weeks or month, and what has the repair response time been on that?
As I have written before, my io went bad during the first week, back near the end of July.
It was promptly replaced when I described the problem.
New, boxed unit arrived, I later sent the first one back.
Very quick, righteous resolution.

JoeKickass

For those who own the io, does it seem worth the chance based on history?

My IO should be shipping soon, but I've been with Grasshopper from the beginning when they started on Indiegogo. Although I have experienced my fair share of grief, I would say go for it. Every vaporizer has pros and cons, and once you get a good Grasshopper / IO unit I think it will make up for any issues you might have. It's a unique vape that is powerful, portable, and rugged.

I find titanium offers better performance, but stainless isn't bad. The only con that I would consider is that, for me at least, it needs cooling. It's just too hot for me to hit native. Glass is OK but robs some of the great flavor. I really like the Plenty cooling coil, it's small enough to carry in the pocket, and you can buy it from S&B as a replacement part for about $20.

nonbeliever

As I have written before, my io went bad during the first week, back near the end of July.
It was promptly replaced when I described the problem.
New, boxed unit arrived, I later sent the first one back.
Very quick, righteous resolution.
Thanks for this. so they just did a full unit replacement. You didn’t have to send in and get thrown in a queue. I’m in queue for them to tell me when I can send my two dead hoppers back for repair (#28 and #29 repair requests (unless of course I want to get a credit and buy a new iO, then they can help me immediately, their games never stop.)

LongDraw said:
For those who own the io, does it seem worth the chance based on history?“

If you’ve been watching for 2 years , and are still hesitant (you should be), think hard about whether you want to be on this train. I cannot speak to a hopper.io, but I can speak as someone with both an SS and titanium hopper.. since 2016. When it works, it’s amazing. Then there are the many, many months and months and months of elapsed time with no working Hopper, waiting for repairs that take months and harassing them to get done. Even right now, both hoppers are dead, and I’m stuck in a queue waiting to be able to send them in for repair (their current excuse is Covid... they must have rejoiced at having Covid hit.. it’s no doubt bought them many months of excuses why repairs are taking so long).

put your money into herb. i wouldn’t put it into a hopper that will just end up frustrating you.

nonbeliever,
Reactions: LongDraw

vapviking

Old & In the Way
LongDraw said:

If you’ve been watching for 2 years , and are still hesitant (you should be), think hard about whether you want to be on this train. I cannot speak to a hopper.io, but I can speak as someone with both an SS and titanium hopper.. since 2016. When it works, it’s amazing. Then there are the many, many months and months and months of elapsed time with no working Hopper, waiting for repairs that take months and harassing them to get done. Even right now, both hoppers are dead, and I’m stuck in a queue waiting to be able to send them in for repair (their current excuse is Covid... they must have rejoiced at having Covid hit.. it’s no doubt bought them many months of excuses why repairs are taking so long).

put your money into herb. i wouldn’t put it into a hopper that will just end up frustrating you.
I tend to agree with not particularly recommending the experience to a newcomer without proper disclaimers...
But, @nonbeliever I was in the same boat as you, had 2 og's in the cue to even be sent in. I saw the writing on the wall and converted on the two -- they would just languish many, many more months, so I got a new io for about a hundred bucks. Considering doing it again sometime, I have more og's!!!
So, yeah, on the io honeymoon I'm getting great support.

I really view the whole program more like a lease now, assuming there will be tech & some c/s issues (both of which seem on the upswing currently); there will always be some continuing costs attached to staying on the ride.
My cost on the two og's at preorder was 270.00 for both, then it cost an additional 105.00 to exchange them for io, so total outlay for purchase was 375.00 for hoppers in hand (at least one working!) starting in 2016, or a hundred bucks a year. I would pay 9/month to lease and always have a working io.

LongDraw

Thanks for this. so they just did a full unit replacement. You didn’t have to send in and get thrown in a queue. I’m in queue for them to tell me when I can send my two dead hoppers back for repair (#28 and #29 repair requests (unless of course I want to get a credit and buy a new iO, then they can help me immediately, their games never stop.)

LongDraw said:

much appreciated nonbeliever. Think i will take the advice. There may be a lot of great working hoppers out there, but if i get a lemon i'd be a bit annoyed, if knowing beforehand. I have four great herb vaporizes and an enail, so in reality i am set for a long time. A few other vaporizers i need to give/sell. Think i'll just keep watching the thread. I agree it looks like a great device and would be pretty enjoyable, hopefully in more time the io will show the reliability and, or, the company will catch up on their backlog as well.

nonbeliever

I tend to agree with not particularly recommending the experience to a newcomer without proper disclaimers...
But, @nonbeliever

I really view the whole program more like a lease now, assuming there will be tech & some c/s issues (both of which seem on the upswing currently); there will always be some continuing costs attached to staying on the ride.
My cost on the two og's at preorder was 270.00 for both, then it cost an additional 105.00 to exchange them for io, so total outlay for purchase was 375.00 for hoppers in hand (at least one working!) starting in 2016, or a hundred bucks a year. I would pay 9/month to lease and always have a working io.

they offered an $80 dollar credit on the io for a trade. Your lease analogy is an interesting way to look at it, but for me personally, I find the whole drag out repairs and milk you to pay for an upgrade to get a working unit to be disingenuous at best, and almost sleazy.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
An advantage of working from home full time now means getting the mail on time. And my new Hopper io arrived today when the USPS tracker initially said Monday. Early is good.

Box was a bit dirty. Backend threads are definitely dirty yet everything else looks fairly clean. Don’t worry, it will be thoroughly cleaned - ISO and Blu-Tac - before I fire it up. I ordered an extra battery too; the one inside the unit is “GBH2” and the fire replacement batch though the labeling looks different than the fire replacement batch of 5 I received several weeks ago (no made in China on it which is how you tell). I’ll compare those later and provide an update. The extra batt is labeled “GHB3” which I’d never thought I’d see. It turns on and instant steady white lights. That’s all for now until I finish work, soak the frontend and finish cleaning it after running errands. Perhaps later or tomorrow the inaugural test will occur. Good way to start the weekend. :peace:

EDIT: some minor scratches observed on the backend temp dial above 5. Interestingly, the io serial numbers begin with “HT”, and it does say “Hopper io” on the other side of the top across from the serial number.

Last edited:

Guest399

mine two ordered SS Hoppers arrived some days ago germany.

but some days ago it went back to usa where it some days goes around in the USPS Network.
WTF is going on wih USPS :bang:

Last edited:
Guest399,

NOLOGO

I decided to take the plunge on one of these this morning. Wondering if anyone uses one of these portable water tools with their Hopper?
I’d like to know how well it works and if the PFE is a must vs the silicone tip for operation with the tool?

example: https://vapenorth.ca/products/copy-...14mm-portable-water-tool?variant=412244115476
I use a slicone 18mm to 14mm reducer when using my hopper with 18mm glass. The pfe does fit well in 14mm, but i just prefer the feel of the spacer instead of metal on glass. I love the tight seal silicone provides. It greatly improves vapor density and extraction efficiency, while also preventing scratches at the contact point.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I decided to take the plunge on one of these this morning. Wondering if anyone uses one of these portable water tools with their Hopper?
I’d like to know how well it works and if the PFE is a must vs the silicone tip for operation with the tool?

example: https://vapenorth.ca/products/copy-...14mm-portable-water-tool?variant=412244115476
I use a bubbler very similar that and like it a lot.
I previously had an 18 mm version and that was larger, and needed adapter, I prefer the 14.
14 mm is correct fit with pfe; you can use the silicone tip but you are just pressing the things together, whereas the pfe to glass is a 'fit' (assuming glass joint is well made).
I think it's a good addition to a hopper kit. You can also use it dry, like some folks use a glass j-hook.

Vaporific

Is this also known as a Hydrotube? It looks like one. I don’t own one - yet....

Since USPS was kind to me and I got my io early yesterdayI was able to clean in thoroughly. Not much gunk in the chamber or elsewhere for that matter. The backend threads were the only visibly dirty area. The frontend was soaked in ISO (which I recently snagged a couple of bottles locally for the first time since February; I’ve been using grain alcohol as a cleaning substitute which works very well BTW and there’s only a little guilt about dumping it down the drain). Everything else swabbed with light ISO with qtips and all threads cleaned with Blu-Tac. Indeed the backend threads were dirty (black on gold is just as noticeable as black on silver).

I set it to 4.7 and did several burn offs before introducing flower. There was a slight machine-y smell which finally went away. The instant on white lights take some getting used to after having an OG Ti for several years. I also charged the 2 new batts and labeled them as my others are. All my flower (many strains) is medium grind and I chose White Pine to start. Loosely packed and filled to the top of the chamber. I started at 2.5 with the native frontend and no silicone or extra cooling or filtration (I’m a native guy and like things simple but...)

With the new “GHB2” that’s supposedly a 3, I popped it in and started it up. My Ti io definitely works. It’s very powerful, instant on as advertised and named, and draw resistance is minimal. I got great clouds and did 3 draws to clear the chamber. perhaps it was late but I thought the vapor was overall just too hot. I lowered the temp to 2.2 and loaded more WP. A bit better with the temp and less harsh. The io is indeed more powerful. Perhaps too much so for average native users. I know several are high temp users natively but not me - I like to preserve my throat. I definitely feel more irritated with the io with its increased power. I hope the long term reliability holds up as this thing puts out a lot of horsepower. It’s like having an OF Hopper on steroids and, in the back of my mind, perhaps too powerful for casual native users like putting a super car engine in a regular car. It’s hard to explain but I think it’s a bit much. I’m not complaining however I know HL wanted to use the same body/chassis with the io as in the OG Hopper but perhaps a longer unit would be more appropriate? in fact, a friend with two pre order TIs thought they io was longer than the OG Hopper. Nope.

Testing, in the name of science of course, continues. I’m still on the first battery and starting my 4th load. So far so good with battery life and usage. I’ll try the PFE later however the air flow is more than adequate with the io’s native frontend. The PFE will mostly be mated to my OG Ti much more Going forward unless I want to go through water (I have a table top glass rig) or dry cooling. Which leads me to possibly getting something more portable to cool the io, like a Hydrotube style option.

So far so good with the io but perhaps slight overkill? If it’s too harsh for me even on low temps I’ll need a cooling option to go along with it - and portability is diminished to an extent. Clouds are indeed very good. Flavor is meh, even on the first draw of a fresh load and I’m at relative low temps. More testing to do over the weekend and beyond. :peace:

Guest399

for me the Tinymight has a more stressful effect on the neck than the Hopper io. I use both on the highest temperature setting and both natively.

maybe it's because I pull 6-7 times shorter per bowl instead of just 3 times

Vaporific

Maybe, just maybe, the io is like putting a Ferrari engine in a go-cart. I’m using it between 2-2.3 and find it almost too warm and harsh for my throat at that low a temp. That’s been my first impressions using it natively with the standard frontend over the course of a couple of batteries (one is brand new and the other I received a couple of months ago and were one of 5 fire replacements). I’m putting on the PFE for the remainder of the day and also switching strains for some variation. To be continued... :peace:

Guest399

Maybe, just maybe, the io is like putting a Ferrari engine in a go-cart. I’m using it between 2-2.3 and find it almost too warm and harsh for my throat at that low a temp. That’s been my first impressions using it natively with the standard frontend over the course of a couple of batteries (one is brand new and the other I received a couple of months ago and were one of 5 fire replacements). I’m putting on the PFE for the remainder of the day and also switching strains for some variation. To be continued... :peace:

for me the io is an Ferrari in Ferrari outer shell ;)

for myself personally, i didn't want a different outer shell, it is perfect as it is as a pen.

and it isnt to hot i think. there will be other vapes that will be hotter for me. i love the real Ferrari very much :)

Vaporific

for me the io is an Ferrari in Ferrari outer shell ;)

for myself personally, i didn't want a different outer shell, it is perfect as it is as a pen.

and it isnt to hot i think. there will be other vapes that will be hotter for me. i love the real Ferrari very much :)
It will take a bit to get used to the io. Like it’s predecessor I think it susceptible when the battery is nearly drained and it runs hotter even though I’m in the low temp range. I do think the battery management is a bit better. With the native mouthpiece I was getting very good clouds even though I’m not a cloud chaser; 5-7 second draws and I’ve been clearing a chamber in 2-3 draws.

I had 5 loads on the very first battery (the one that came with the io which I topped off in one of my Nitecores. The second battery I’ve used so far is one I received several weeks ago (a fire replacement batch). All my current batteries are relatively recent and in good shape. I did use the new mag charger to charge up the second batt and it worked well. I however think the light pattern during charging should be different and reversed (I had to read the instructions to confirm). When the battery is fully charged it should be a steady light instead of steady blinking (or whatever .. .. .. means). The mag charger seems to work however. What I dislike about it is that it only goes on one way to charge. I think the first gen mag charger (which is relegated to my car) goes on either way. At least the new one works initially. I’m not sure I’ll use it all that much.

The first few draws with the PFE got me more medicated even between 2-2.3 than with the io’s native frontend. Something I want to keep an eye on. I’m also using different strains too and one is my least favorite of what I have on hand. More testing is undoubtedly called for... :peace:

ChilledAsian

Been watching this thread carefully, considering this my next vape it checks all the boxes... But curious why the steel uses a smaller wattage vs the ti and are there any advantages between the metals besides it being lighter.

Guest399

Been watching this thread carefully, considering this my next vape it checks all the boxes... But curious why the steel uses a smaller wattage vs the ti and are there any advantages between the metals besides it being lighter.

good choice to look at this vape ;)

it is generally said that titanium heats up faster and cools down faster.

that with faster heating is certainly minimal I think.

a few of us here who had or have both versions, titan + SS, including myself, have made the experience that SS got slightly hotter or the extraction was more likely to be even stronger.

but it could have been a coincidence, I don't know

fogbank

I recently received a new SS IO and I am heading towards an RMA before ever even using it. It will not power on unless the body is screwed into the back end partially. Tightening it all of the way will prevent it from powering on. I have to screw it on just right or it won't power on at all. Not tight enough and it won't power on. Too tight and it won't power on.

When I first got it it would make a "clicking" noise when I screwed the body into the back end. It doesn't seem to be making that sound anymore, but it is still very sensitive to the position of the body on the back end.

I've tried other batteries, etc... No difference.

I remember reading about similar issues in the OG Hopper thread, but I've never experienced anything like this on any of my OG Hoppers or my Ti IO Hopper.

This will probably be the first RMA that I've actually sent back to Hopper Labs. I'm still waiting for them to register my SS IO so I can start the RMA process. We'll see how it all goes...

ChilledAsian

good choice to look at this vape ;)

it is generally said that titanium heats up faster and cools down faster.

that with faster heating is certainly minimal I think.

a few of us here who had or have both versions, titan + SS, including myself, have made the experience that SS got slightly hotter or the extraction was more likely to be even stronger.

but it could have been a coincidence, I don't know
Thanks for replying, I just might be sold on the SS since it extracts more :clap: BTW has anyone use this native most of the time? Is the vapor tolerably warm?

ChilledAsian,

someTooL

BTW has anyone use this native most of the time? Is the vapor tolerably warm?
I really enjoy using native (Ti) Depends on how you like to hit it, but for me I get thick dense vapor on setting 2-4. It’s warm to hot vapor native. Like a joint hit. And I ONLY use with a silicone cover. To me it would be very unpleasant to stick my lips to this thing at level 4...don’t get me wrong, the reward is well worth it.

Top Bottom