Discontinued Hopper io

Chronicles22

I have an OG Ti and a SS io. My SS io gets hotter and extracts faster than my Ti OG. The ABV from my Ti OG on temp 5 looks similar to the ABV my SS io produces at temp 4.
Very odd — I’ve kind of thought something might be up with my io since I got it and found it relatively underwhelming compared to my OG ti but I’m honestly kind of afraid of sending it in for fear of not seeing it again for months lol.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Very odd — I’ve kind of thought something might be up with my io since I got it and found it relatively underwhelming compared to my OG ti but I’m honestly kind of afraid of sending it in for fear of not seeing it again for months lol.
Have you been diligent about using only good, fresh batteries in the io? It may not perform well with older batts.
I think service, on io's, has been very good so far, if you are having a problem.

Chronicles22

Have you been diligent about using only good, fresh batteries in the io? It may not perform well with older batts.
I think service, on io's, has been very good so far, if you are having a problem.
I have used primarily the battery that cane with the device and two other new batteries that also came with it (I waited to get my IO until this were able to be filled rather than accept it early without a battery) and have even tried that same batch of batteries between devices but I find that level 5 on my OG ti will produce a dark almost coffee color abv in only 2 long draws while the io never gets this color and takes considerably more draws to get close.

fogbank

I have used primarily the battery that cane with the device and two other new batteries that also came with it (I waited to get my IO until this were able to be filled rather than accept it early without a battery) and have even tried that same batch of batteries between devices but I find that level 5 on my OG ti will produce a dark almost coffee color abv in only 2 long draws while the io never gets this color and takes considerably more draws to get close.
I have one or two OG Hoppers that will turn ABV blacker than my Ti IO. They just seem to run a little hotter than the IO. My IO still extracts well and I am happy with its performance, but some OG Hoppers will turn the ABV blacker.

At times I think this is related to the differences in air flow between the OG and the IO. The OG units with less airflow turn the ABV blacker compared to the IO with the greater airflow.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I don't know how much you're aware of recent news from south of the border, but Trump is doing a number on the postal service (on top of there's the now-normal chaos of dysfunctional governance in a historic pandemic). So I would expect serious delays with any cross border shipping for the time being.
Yes, I'm somewhat aware of what's going on ... however, all my other shipments (apart from Hopper IO), have taken a normal amount of time to cross the border ... even an order I placed just over a week ago which I already have! At any rate ... might have it for this Friday (not keeping my fingers crossed ... more expecting Monday despite what tracking info says) Hoping it performs as well (or better) then my Ti Hopper has been performing since the last repair and fresh batteries

MoltenTiger

If the io is running cool, try some different inhale speeds and techniques.

A heat exchanger such as the one in the hopper will perform best with a very slow inhale speed to begin with, then ramping up the inhale speed and immediately slowing it down before then going at full rate will give the most efficient performance.
You can also cover some of the air intake holes, but this can lead to small burns..

Getting proper power helps a lot too.

I only have old batteries, 2 or 3 years or so old, and some just never gave the power I now get with the power adapter, far from it, but I'm still able to get multiple hits off of a chamber, it's just they are all dense and cloudy with a slow taper. Some units probably run hotter, like the legacy models - which is not good - consistency is key and I've always though having a second unit might show the lack of it as it did before.
There's still a bit of a lottery for performance I suppose, but perhaps less so than before, I hope

someTooL

Good evening all. New IO owner. Thank you @VGOODIEZ as always. Ive got about 5 days left of T-break so just patiently preparing for that time.

Edit-Found the answer

Gotta add. This IO was spotless. No gunk anywhere! Ran a q-tip around the chamber and mouthpiece and nothing. Couple of dry pulls and no taste of anything. Gonna be a hard 5 days.

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
GHB3.jpg

Since you are advertising on Instagram that GHB3's are in stock & available, I guess all of our replacement batteries for those we had to dispose of, due to being a fire hazard, are now in the post, eh, @Hopper Labs?

Nice one.

:peace:

Guest399

received yesterday my Titaium hopper io.

First of all thanks to Hopper Labs for the beautiful flawless product without any oil stains or the like. and thanks for the quick processing and shped out on the day of the order.

After 16 days and a short customs stay, he was with me.

My first impression is that the ABV in my SS io is getting a little darker than in my new Titanium.

I will continue twatch it. I don't know whether it's a coincidence and there are small fluctuations from unit to unit or whether it is generally a bit darker in the SS.

it's minimal and not a big problem. However, I asked Hopper Labs this question just to know which will be my 3rd unit. :)

I think it will be SS then. Especially when I've made experience with the darker ABV. but it may be the other way around with other units! ??

but maybe SS will be hotter because of the material. I don't know and keep watching.

Otherwise I won't notice any big differences between the Hopper io in SS vs. Titanium

Except for the well-known lower weight.

the Batteries i get were labeled GHB2

I love my io Hoppers :love:

Edit:
I was just able to turn the scale about 1 mm above the strongest setting on the Titanium just like on the SS. even a little more. maybe that was it. but can only report later. must go immediately

Edit2: Found some scratches on the clicker. but nothing is perfect in the world ;) no prob for me

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...

First of all thanks to Hopper Labs for the beautiful flawless product without any oil stains or the like. and thanks for the quick processing and shped out on the day of the order.

After 16 days and a short customs stay, he was with me.

My first impression is that the ABV in my SS io is getting a little darker than in my new Titanium.

I will continue twatch it. I don't know whether it's a coincidence and there are small fluctuations from unit to unit or whether it is generally a bit darker in the SS.

it's minimal and not a big problem. However, I asked Hopper Labs this question just to know which will be my 3rd unit. :)

I think it will be SS then. Especially when I've made experience with the darker ABV. but it may be the other way around with other units! ??

but maybe SS will be hotter because of the material. I don't know and keep watching.

Otherwise I won't notice any big differences between the Hopper io in SS vs. Titanium

Except for the well-known lower weight.

the Batteries i get were labeled GHB2

I love my io Hoppers :love:

Edit:
I was just able to turn the scale about 1 mm above the strongest setting on the Titanium just like on the SS. even a little more. maybe that was it. but can only report later. must go immediately

Edit2: Found some scratches on the clicker. but nothing is perfect in the world ;) no prob for me
What temp are you running them at? I assume the same for a truer comparison. Also, are you using them both natively, with or without silicone tip, through filtration/glass of any kind? I’ve been waiting for someone to own both and provide a comparison. Still on the fence about getting an Io and I’ll likely pull the trigger on one but I can wait. And wait. Heck, I could buy several of each right now but again having one properly working unit is all I want.

BTW I almost had a heart attack when I saw “GHB3” imprinted on the battery above. The 5 replacements they sent me a couple months ago for the fire ones from last year for my OG Ti were GHB2s and I was sort of hoping they would’ve been GHB3s. Oh well. :peace:

Vaporific,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
BTW I almost had a heart attack when I saw “GHB3” imprinted on the battery above. The 5 replacements they sent me a couple months ago for the fire ones from last year for my OG Ti were GHB2s and I was sort of hoping they would’ve been GHB3s. Oh well. :peace:
I believe we've been told repeatedly here that the batch you are referring to (and have 5 of) were mis-labeled. They actually are GHB3's.
It is the 'small' batch they got that allowed them to actually ship the io's they had been stockpiling. They have also sent batts. from that batch to some persistent folks who were owed replacements from the fire.

I waited and I think I should be getting my 2 , well, just any day now...

Vaporific

I believe we've been told repeatedly here that the batch you are referring to (and have 5 of) were mis-labeled. They actually are GHB3's.
It is the 'small' batch they got that allowed them to actually ship the io's they had been stockpiling. They have also sent batts. from that batch to some persistent folks who were owed replacements from the fire.

I waited and I think I should be getting my 2 , well, just any day now...
Thanks. All I know is the replacement batts don’t say “Made in China” which I recall as being the ‘bad’ pre fire batch that necessitated replacement. I think I glossed over the mislabeling if the initial GHB3s which I now have. I floated 2 of them to a local buddy as he’s been waiting for his replacement batts longer and placed his order 2 months prior to mine in ‘19. He’ll give me two of his when they arrive, whenever that is. HL continues to operate in mysterious ways if you ask me. And then there’s the Hopper itself. But I digress. TGIF to all. :peace:

Vaporific,

fogbank

I have owned and used multiple OG Hoppers and one Ti IO Hopper (I currently have an SS IO that I haven't tried yet).

I don't think any two of my Hoppers perform exactly the same. They all seem a little different. I have one SS OG Hopper that always blinks during my draw, seemingly in a pattern of three flashes. This is with a new, freshly charged battery. It heats and extracts very well, turning the ABV black. It is the only Hopper that has not worked with the AC adapter.

With some of my older OG Hoppers I always started a temp 4. On newer OG Hoppers I start at 2.5.

There is even variation in how they react when attaching them to the internal charger.

My point is that I see a lot of variation between OG Hoppers, so it's likely that this is also true for IO Hoppers.

Guest399

I have owned and used multiple OG Hoppers and one Ti IO Hopper (I currently have an SS IO that I haven't tried yet).

I don't think any two of my Hoppers perform exactly the same. They all seem a little different. I have one SS OG Hopper that always blinks during my draw, seemingly in a pattern of three flashes. This is with a new, freshly charged battery. It heats and extracts very well, turning the ABV black. It is the only Hopper that has not worked with the AC adapter.

With some of my older OG Hoppers I always started a temp 4. On newer OG Hoppers I start at 2.5.

There is even variation in how they react when attaching them to the internal charger.

My point is that I see a lot of variation between OG Hoppers, so it's likely that this is also true for IO Hoppers.

yes it is true. HL answers me the same.

I just find it a little annoying because I'm a high temperature player and always choose the highest levels. that's why I have now taken titanium, although I prefer the material SS normal because titanium has 5 watts more. but OK my 65 watts gets darker ABV

@Vaporific i only use highest temperature on every vape. i use my Hopper natively with silicone mouthpiece. never with bong or glass pieces

JoeMama

So is the regular grasshopper effectively discontinued? The grasshopper prices on the old website are the same as the grasshopper io prices on the new site...
It would seem that the original hoppers are gone... I had my regular Ti in for service for a year, when they finally told me that I could either get a refund or spend the difference on the IO.

someTooL

Really happy with my first two attempts using the Ti IO last night. I used the reg mp and the silicone tip. ~.15 - .2 load for each (GG#4, 23%)

Upper left - This was my first oven. Straight to the lips it went. Started at 2 for a couple pulls then finished at 3. First hit was terp tongue and the remaining all cloudy. Glad I got a silicone tip. 6 clicks and I was done for a first pack. No stir and no checking. Looks like I could have maybe pulled another but it tasted done.

Upper right - Second oven. Used a small WP for this one. Same as above, but started at 3 and finished at 4. Six clicks on this load too. All very deep long cloudy pulls. Even though the load looks darker, I enjoyed both ovens equally.

Vaporific

Damn! That is some good cooking! I can't get that with dry gear and temp set at 5.
With an io? How old are your batts?

Should I get an io to augment my OG Ti I’ll likely be running it between 2-3 with minor temp steps in between, maybe a bit higher temp. I do have new batts though the operational efficiency of my legacy Hopper is starting to diminish after several years. Hence my interest in the io. We’ll see... :peace:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
My batteries are now two years old and recently the performance has really started to suffer. I’m surprised they’ve held up this well, especially using them with the Hopper io and its more powerful heater. I have two batteries, one good one and one that’s decent. Lately the battery life has been decreasing substantially and they take longer to charge. I’ve cleaned my io lately so that wasn’t causing any issues.

I emailed Hopper Labs last Wednesday about battery availability. They emailed me Friday and told me they would be able to ship out the battery that is included with the io that I decided to wait for so I could get the io early, along with some extra batteries I ordered. I received that package yesterday, Friday, exactly one week later. I’m happy with that customer service experience.

The batteries I received are labeled GHB2, so they are from the recent mislabeled batch. The color and texture of the wrap is slightly different than my two year old batteries. They also came charged at 3.95V. If my memory is correct when I’ve bought batteries in the past they’ve been mostly full, around 4.17V. I’m not completely sure about that though.

I was a bit surprised that it was that easy to get batteries. Now that I see the GHB3s are finished it makes sense. Hopefully everyone still waiting on replacement batteries from the fire will soon have shiny new GHB3s.

someTooL

Just to add to my first experiences. Tried the PFE and still super results but totally different.

Paired with a glass bubbler and went to town. Started at 4 and finished at 5. Two enormous and one finisher. It kept up with some heavy pulls and milked the glass. Much darker then before and still an even roast. Not Dynavap dark but for sure finished. No stirring. No fuss.

It kinda makes sense. MP tip at 2-3 for carrying around. 5-6 clicks, light to medium roast. PFE at 4-5 for ripping through water. 2 and a cleanup, darker you know it’s done roast.

So with trying it out pretty much all around, albeit for only a weekend, it’s seems to be a keeper for sure. It’s made an impression on me. And I’ll say it now. If it does need service, if, I’ll order another while I wait.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
So with trying it out pretty much all around, albeit for only a weekend, it’s seems to be a keeper for sure. It’s made an impression on me. And I’ll say it now. If it does need service, if, I’ll order another while I wait.

Aw, aren't Honeymoons just the best? :p

Seriously though, I'm pleased you are enjoying your io so much but while your enthusiasm is admirable, unfortunately, as many here will attest, buying multiple devices from Hopper Labs, does not guarantee uninterrupted service.
But it's worth a try, right?!

I'm still looking forward to my bronze io (that I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced), for which, I have had no update regarding it's progress.

When it arrives (see, I haven't lost all hope) I will look at sending my OG back in for the 4th time and then maybe I'll get the chance to try my @maxvapor710 external power adapter which has been sitting here looking all forlorn for the past month or two . . .

Perhaps some unholy miracle will occur and I'll get my replacement 'fire batteries' along with the batteries I ordered with my io, plus my bronze io, AND the steel case I pre-ordered back in 2014!

What? It could happen!

giphy.gif

:peace:

ByetheRye

I’m also patiently waiting for the colored units to be completed. I got an email last night saying batteries were back in stock and it was advertising the colored units. But when I checked the website it still says ‘July 2020’

I’m in love with my Hopper IO SS though. Have been using it daily for a month with absolutely no issues. My ABV is always dark and dry by the time I finish with it. I usually hit it on 4.5 through the performance front end and a small ‘roasted turkey’ shaped bubbler from Daily High Club.

Though I know the company has a long way to go in the hearts of others, I find myself completely content and satisfied with the service I have received as well as the product.

Top Bottom