Discontinued Hopper io

someTooL

Aw, aren't Honeymoons just the best?

I seriously get it. I’ve read this (or OG) thread for a year now. People are passionate when problems arrive. And totally agree the not batteries would make me sour too. But posts like yours (which I would be beating the drum too had I had similar experience) are just another view with a poor experience and welcomed. I’ve also read many great things with no problems. Pretty much like anything in this little piece of the pie we play in (I mean have you read the differences of views regarding TM?)

My initial experience is only for those, like me, who have been on the fence. I’d never held or seen one in person. It’s impressive what they’ve done with the piece. It’s fit a need for portable pack it and forget it...well and also a need for some super heavy huge bong rips :peace:

Edit - And they kinda already mess with me as far as CS. Ordered the new batteries Thursday (still in progress) and get an email this morning telling me they’re in stock order now. Ship mine. There, now I can chant “one of us” lol

Speaking of batteries. At flashing lights the battery was at 3.55v. What range (or max) should the GHB’s be?

Last edited:

Macicman

I’m also patiently waiting for the colored units to be completed. I got an email last night saying batteries were back in stock and it was advertising the colored units. But when I checked the website it still says ‘July 2020’

Face it. The Hopper IO is a DopeGun(TM).

I’m in love with my Hopper IO SS though. Have been using it daily for a month with absolutely no issues. My ABV is always dark and dry by the time I finish with it. I usually hit it on 4.5 through the performance front end and a small ‘roasted turkey’ shaped bubbler from Daily High Club.

Though I know the company has a long way to go in the hearts of others, I find myself completely content and satisfied with the service I have received as well as the product.

Macicman,
Reactions: someTooL

someTooL

What range (or max) should the GHB’s be?

My findings so far on new batteries...well still 2’s but new.

Flashing lights at 3.55v. This was on the fourth session. All sessions between 2-4 temp.
Full charge reached at 4.20v.

Running two batteries now. One I’m charging only with the IO. The other only with a nitecore. Going to run the experiment for a while to see if I notice any differences. Just in the name of science :science:

Mr. Me2

Hey @VGOODIEZ , I got the email from ghl that batteries are in stock. Can you tell us, is ghl sending replacement batteries to those deserving? If I order a couple more now, will they include batteries promised (in my case 3 batteries I threw out)?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I recently tested one of my new batteries. I used the “pen” frontend native and each hit lasted an average of 8-10 seconds. I got four hits from each chamber but the last hit was always a tiny “cleanup” hit. I could skip that in the future and squeeze in another chamber or two. I’ve listed the temps I used below:

Chamber 1: 1, 4, 4, 4
Chamber 2: 4, 4, 4, 4
Chamber 3: 4, 4, 4, 4
Chamber 4: 2, 3, 4, 5
Chamber 5: 1, 3, 4, 4
Chamber 6: 2 - low battery warning, 3 - weak vapor, died on 4.

I got 21 hits from one battery, five full chambers worth. I can barely squeeze three chambers out of my OG Grasshopper with a fresh battery. My battery voltage was 3.46 when I charged it on my Nitecore D2. I plan on repeating this test again in “one-hitter” mode, finishing the chamber in one long draw using the PFE and my Vaporscope Hybrid. I’m thinking I’ll be able to finish 10 chambers before the battery dies.

MonkeyTime

I recently tested one of my new batteries. I used the “pen” frontend native and each hit lasted an average of 8-10 seconds. I got four hits from each chamber but the last hit was always a tiny “cleanup” hit. I could skip that in the future and squeeze in another chamber or two. I’ve listed the temps I used below:

Chamber 1: 1, 4, 4, 4
Chamber 2: 4, 4, 4, 4
Chamber 3: 4, 4, 4, 4
Chamber 4: 2, 3, 4, 5
Chamber 5: 1, 3, 4, 4
Chamber 6: 2 - low battery warning, 3 - weak vapor, died on 4.

I got 21 hits from one battery, five full chambers worth. I can barely squeeze three chambers out of my OG Grasshopper with a fresh battery. My battery voltage was 3.46 when I charged it on my Nitecore D2. I plan on repeating this test again in “one-hitter” mode, finishing the chamber in one long draw using the PFE and my Vaporscope Hybrid. I’m thinking I’ll be able to finish 10 chambers before the battery dies.

It'll be interesting to see the next results, please post those also. It'd also be interesting to see a couple of batteries tested this way. I did with my OG/batteries and there were distinct differences, even with brand new batteries.

It's also interesting to watch what batteries are doing using the MaxVapor sled and a 18650. You get a visual of when the heater is active.

someTooL

Yes glad someone else is that way too. :science:

Just for comparison. Mine are also native (really liking it this way) but much longer draws. I do slow to faster to control temp but around 15-20 seconds. Start with two at 2, one at 3, one at 4 to finish. No breaks, finish the chamber in one setting. Been repeating this same routine and getting flashing lights at middle to end of 4th chamber. I’ve moved a third battery into rotation due to how much I tend to reach for this thing.

Guest399

I think I'll be selling my Hopper io Titan, which I've only had since last Friday and has only been used about 10 times i think

Guest399,

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
maybe but i don't think so. They once told me that theydidn't intend to do this. but maybe that will change. in my opinion not in a shorter time.
Vaposhop is now Greenlane and Greenlane is still sitting on 50 OG units so yeah they are out. Vapefiend supported in the past. Let's hope they happens again.

someTooL

I think I'll be selling my Hopper io Titan, which I've only had since last Friday and has only been used about 10 times i think
I think... there must be more to this story.

Seriously though. Unless I have received the magical unicorn, this IO is a top notch beast in my book. 50+ chambers in the last few days. Not one issue. Click the button, maybe adjust the temp. Dump and repeat. Every time same results with perfect avb. Trust me, I’d say if I hadn’t had this experience. I know...the honeymoon continues.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
only because i prefer SS nothing else
Interesting. Did I miss your comparison if posted herein? I’m interested in an io for no other reason I want one and my OG Ti still works however it’s performance is declining recently with new batteries too (I’ll be doing a thorough cleaning soon though just did one a few weeks ago). The io is the only portable vape that’s recently piqued my curiosity as I’m familiar with HL and the legacy Hoppers, obviously. I’m debating between io SS and Ti and have inquired herein recently about comparisons between both for those with both (or have tried both). Cheers. :peace:

Vaporific,

Guest399

Interesting. Did I miss your comparison if posted herein? I’m interested in an io for no other reason I want one and my OG Ti still works however it’s performance is declining recently with new batteries too (I’ll be doing a thorough cleaning soon though just did one a few weeks ago). The io is the only portable vape that’s recently piqued my curiosity as I’m familiar with HL and the legacy Hoppers, obviously. I’m debating between io SS and Ti and have inquired herein recently about comparisons between both for those with both (or have tried both). Cheers. :peace:

only the ABV gets little darker with my SS i told some days ago

Edit: it is a very little, but i am perfectionistic :( and only high temperature player

Last edited:

slozukimc

My findings so far on new batteries...well still 2’s but new.

Flashing lights at 3.55v. This was on the fourth session. All sessions between 2-4 temp.
Full charge reached at 4.20v.

Running two batteries now. One I’m charging only with the IO. The other only with a nitecore. Going to run the experiment for a while to see if I notice any differences. Just in the name of science :science:
Does anyone else notice the “low power mode” seems to be the exact same as the OG Hoppers? Low battery means flashy lights and done. No more hits.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Does anyone else notice the “low power mode” seems to be the exact same as the OG Hoppers? Low battery means flashy lights and done. No more hits.
When light starts to flash, I notice a reduction in power/heat or something. Vapor seems a little less forthcoming, less voluminous. I think with og's it was more a 'low battery' warning, not a 'low power' state.
I usually charge well before the low power mode kicks in.

biohacker

@JCat @lazylathe Are you guys still waiting for your i/o's?

@JCat if it makes you feel any better about the customs/border slow downs, it took me a month to get my 710coils order which usually takes exactly 2 weeks and we don't live far apart. It sat at the border for 2 weeks instead of a day or two.

Hope it's going to be worth the wait! :popcorn::D

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

62 days so far :shrug: A new record maybe? I hope it's worth the wait also.
Getting close to my 86. FWIW after discovering I've only had the thing for 77 days, it seems like I've had it way longer than I was waiting on USPS, even though that was a serious drag, I am getting much more serious drags now and it's great.
I hope for your own sake you don't beat my record! (HL also offered to send another out, but the price from FedEx at the time was nuts with no guarantee of faster delivery. It might be worth sending an email though).

I actually just took the legacy out for a portable spin. First GHB I've used since getting the power adapter which now lives on the io..

The legacy rocked. Blasted it whilst a cop cruised past and I felt glad that all blue and red lights did what you'd want, no flashing and no worries.
Still hopping mad down here, it's just too good, and of course worth whatever wait is required IMO.

biohacker

The legacy rocked.

I keep reading reports of Legacy's outperforming i/o's? I haven't kept up with the thread diligently enough, but is this your experience too?

I have experience with both cooler, normal, and hotter legacy's, and normal was always my preferred.... the cooler ones obviously didn't cut it, and the hotter (what I feel the present i/o is with the extra temp) wasn't usable to to bad flavour.

With that said, even though it's been some years since i've sold my legacy's, I still have two in my account that the buyer's never contacted me for warranties about lol.

If anyone bought a GH from me, and need warranty, please PM me! lol

MoltenTiger

I keep reading reports of Legacy's outperforming i/o's? I haven't kept up with the thread diligently enough, but is this your experience too?

I have experience with both cooler, normal, and hotter legacy's, and normal was always my preferred.... the cooler ones obviously didn't cut it, and the hotter (what I feel the present i/o is with the extra temp) wasn't usable to to bad flavour.

With that said, even though it's been some years since i've sold my legacy's, I still have two in my account that the buyer's never contacted me for warranties about lol.

Some legacies were indeed unicorns. I also have one on my account since 2016 that I've never heard back about. I agree with the bounds of spectrum describing the legacy units, and I have a small suspicion such a thing exists again with the io. My HT that I was using, just had a beaker of io mains powered goodness, the HT is normal. Hits 210 at temp 5 and that's really the only setting I use it at, maxed out with room for more to be honest.
It definitely isn't up to par with the io which probably out perfroms it on temp 1, but the ABV does look fairly similar at the end of the day. I'd say I have a normal io, 180-230 is on the label, and really I'm probably getting closer to the 222 which I once used to set my Arizer EQ at. "all the two's" is a good temp, but once you go 237, you arrive at what I'm all about. That is beyond what a pen will probably ever intentionally deliver.

The io does not sublimate, and so there is room for improvement in terms of potency. I reckon the crackle you know of only occurs with some legacies and was a good cause for the amount of problems, amongst several other common faults. Some units surely cooked themselves to death. The initial pre-order I made consisted of three units, one was an absolute champ and lasted right up until it got heavier use a couple of years down the line. That thing was too hot at T5 but it still wouldn't combust. But it was hyper close to smouldering or whatever, it wasn't that nice. But dialled in at 4.x, the thing absolutely white walled bongs. Now, I have seen this level of density using CBD flower (high quality and potent with cannabinoids) mixed with CBD isolate using the io, but with general lousy flower, the io could not compete with that bronze legacy in terms of potency and cloud output.

The io has managed to find its way in-between a normal io and that craziness that really is pushing the limits of the form factor way too far and can not be used natively at all. Like seriously, the bronze unit could not be used natively, it was dangerous and impossible. But on bongs it was magic.

The io is much better to use natively because of the increased airflow and response from the heater. It's much easier to get solid sips from.
On glass it is no slouch and does a job I'm satisfied with. I haven't used the sublimator for a while now and I'm not really missing it, though it does out perform this pen and any hopper by a mile and a half.
But the pen is just super pleasant like a beer instead of a shot. Or maybe a strong wine. It doesn't really whitewall my new 10" beaker, but it tries and fogs it up proper multiple times per chamber, and each hit packs a punch. Not like a freight train like a sub hit or an actual aussie cone, but an effective and smooth and tasty rip nonetheless.

_20200904_015800.JPG_20200904_015557.JPG

I cleaned this yesterday and it has a healthy dose of oil building up already. It delivers a good enough amount of power and what's left behind looks the goods too.
From what I've read some people are getting faster extraction and darker ABV, but the normal I think I'm seeing I'm happy enough with.

I'll probably get an SS io after trading in my broken Ti at some point, cashing in my battery charger pre-order (ha) and whatever else they still owe me.
Roll the dice and see if I get something drastically different. 65W is still a lot of go considering what I've seen 45W do, which is beyond the limit.

So, I guess in a sense the legacy is really more or less exactly the same thing as the io. But the io is made with a lot of needed changes that were learned of the hard way, and hopefully they will last years and years like the unicorns that are out there.
Some patterns of usage are not kind on hoppers and that's what I'm replicating with the io, and so far it's a pure blast without any issue. But 77 days is far from a good test period, so I best continue.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

My experience is that a simple description might say that the temp dial is not calibrated the same, from og to io. That's the net effect, though prolly not the singular answer.
Because the draw is more open on the io, I believe they'll behave a little differently when compared - and of course, the fact that so much of the electronics are changed.

On any of my og's, 3.5 to 4.2 was my range, the lower being typical for native use.
My setting on the io is about 2.2 to 3.5 for similar draws to the og.
If you like to just about char the shit, there's obviously headroom for that, just not my style.
As I recall, you used to talk about big hits, with water, as-in, single hit to finish a chamber. I believe the io will perform very well for that and you can dial that in. Several of those in succession will make the whole thing real hot to the touch.
To your flavor concern, this can be a nice flavor sipper as well.

There's a chance that a buyer (of one of your that's still 'registered to your account') has gone ahead and purchased a warranty from HL, which apparently is (or, rather, used to be) available for a $45 dollar fee.
The fact that they remain (not updated) in your account is not remarkable, given how little attention HL has paid to the warranty 'portal' and systems in general for the past couple of years.

otoh, even though there is a lot about my account page that is not correct anymore, I recently swapped 2 rma's for $80 ea, credit towards an io. I was able to purchase the io right away (as always, yes, by all means, send the money!) but not until I returned the two og's were they removed from my account. These were rma's on which I had been told to not send it in until prompted, so they were in my possession, "waiting in line".

I believe that real soon HL will simply (if they have not already) stop supporting the og. They are out of production now, officially, and what I see coming is the offer to exchange, as I and others have been doing. They will buy their way out of the lifetime warranty by selling io's! (ahem)
Or, if they are lucky, some folks have just moved on and will never make any claim.

Top Bottom