Discontinued Hopper io

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
The PFE does get hotter since there is more thermal mass. The heavier the usage the hotter the PFE gets compared to the “pen” frontend. When using the io I can take a bigger hit and finish it quicker before the PFE has a chance to heat up because of the increased airflow. When heated for a longer amount of time the PFE gets hotter, but the io allows you to run the device for a shorter time compared to the OG. That’s probably another reason I like using the PFE more with the io.

Edit: I should probably clarify that I’m using a titanium PFE with my stainless steel Hopper io. I wonder how that affects the thermodynamics...:hmm:

F6JHfpI.jpg

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

The PFE does get hotter since there is more thermal mass. The heavier the usage the hotter the PFE gets compared to the “pen” frontend. When using the io I can take a bigger hit and finish it quicker before the PFE has a chance to heat up because of the increased airflow. When heated for a longer amount of time the PFE gets hotter, but the io allows you to run the device for a shorter time compared to the OG. That’s probably another reason I like using the PFE more with the io.

Edit: I should probably clarify that I’m using a titanium PFE with my stainless steel Hopper io. I wonder how that affects the thermodynamics...:hmm:

F6JHfpI.jpg
Seems like the SS PFE takes longer to heat up which makes it better for direct usage

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I've been waiting for a month now :( ... it's been at the border for 3 weeks :( (good thing I paid for priority shipping!!! :lol: )
Customs brother. I always found Canada to sit about a week anyway in normal circumstances but with Covid it's even worse.

USPS doesn't have their own broker system like UPS and DHL. The advantage of this is people tend not to get charged for VAT or at the very least is a lower charge. But you wait longer for it to clear customs. UPS gets it through quickly but they kill you in the VAT. DHL is in the middle. Typical quick shipping but hit and miss in the VAT charges. They always charge something but typically less than what UPS would.

VapeEnthusiast

Troy's Army
Just received my IO yesterday! I had a decent amount of time to play around with it. Thought I'd give some initial impressions! This is coming from someone who didn't own an OG hopper. I was initially wary to jump on board because of hopper CS, but VGoodiez involvement, combined with the mostly positive IO CS stories convinced me.

My bowl came with some gunk in it, perhaps from machining. I used ISO on a qtip to clean the chamber after a warm up. I couldn't get it all out, but I'd say my chamber is 90% clean now. I'd highly recommend everyone check the bowl before loading the first time!

The heat up time is very impressive! This is a truly on demand device.

The build quality feels pretty good! I saw some complaints in the thread about the clicker and clip both feeling cheap. They don't to me, although a slightly thicker clip would have been appreciated. The clicker feels awesome to press down! Its much more tactile than the average pen press. Love it. Hopefully it can take some mechanical wear.

The vapor production is very impressive! This thing can Whitewall my glass.

The extraction is even and thorough. It's been taking me about 2 hits to finish each load.

Flavor is a little lacking for me? There aren't any weird non-weed flavors but for some reason I don't get the best taste from this thing. I've been playing with temp settings to try to help.

I seem to be having one issue or misunderstanding with my grasshopper. Does it power off after 15 seconds flat or 15 seconds of inactivity? Mine seems to turn off after 15 seconds regardless of what I do. I have big lungs and would like to inhale for 25+ seconds.

The screens on the GH are a little too open by default for me. I like to keep all the scoobie snacks in the vape. I have solved this for WPA usage by adding a 14mm basket screen to an 14-18mm adapter and then putting the PFE on top. It fits pretty well! I'll probably want to find an OTG solution as well eventually.

Edit: small WPA mod pics. For those interested!

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Customs brother. I always found Canada to sit about a week anyway in normal circumstances but with Covid it's even worse.

USPS doesn't have their own broker system like UPS and DHL. The advantage of this is people tend not to get charged for VAT or at the very least is a lower charge. But you wait longer for it to clear customs. UPS gets it through quickly but they kill you in the VAT. DHL is in the middle. Typical quick shipping but hit and miss in the VAT charges. They always charge something but typically less than what UPS would.
Yes, I realize; that's why I requested priority shipping and paid the $40 :) Other shipments I've received have been much, much faster ... in fact I've had other USPS shipments get shipped later that cost a lot less and they have all cleared ... just this one sitting, and sitting, and sitting ... (I'm not blaming HL for this ...! Just complaining in general ... :lol: )

NOLOGO

Does it power off after 15 seconds flat or 15 seconds of inactivity? Mine seems to turn off after 15 seconds regardless of what I do. I have big lungs and would like to inhale for 25+ seconds.
I had that issue with my first io (serial #101) and it's currently in route back to them. I opened a warranty claim and they sent me another unit.

(The replacement also had stuff in the chamber I had to clean out, and was obviously used when you look at the frontend. But whatever, I cleaned it and it hits very well.)

But yeah, it's supposed to detect draw and not shut off.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Yes, I realize; that's why I requested priority shipping and paid the $40 :) Other shipments I've received have been much, much faster ... in fact I've had other USPS shipments get shipped later that cost a lot less and they have all cleared ... just this one sitting, and sitting, and sitting ... (I'm not blaming HL for this ...! Just complaining in general ... :lol: )
I hear you brother. Unfortunately the priority shipping gets it to customs quicker but doesn't get it through customs any quicker.

Thebigsmoke

Hey everybody just hoping for some advice. I have been following the thread from the hopper io announcement and have been itching to get one however I didn't have a great time with the og hopper my 3 units lasted a few weeks each however I loved the vape when it performed. So i have been keen to get the io since it seems reliability and customer service is improving from reading the thread.

I'm based in the UK (northern Ireland) and I'm a bit hesitant ordering from hopper labs in the USA as I would have to send it back there for repairs and the way customs are at the minute I don't fancy having to send it back used but there doesn't seem to be any UK based sellers at the minute so no choice but to order from hopper labs.

I have seen a few posters in here from Ireland and the UK who have bought the io would you folks mind sharing your experience with waiting times postage and customs charges?

I know the fine folks at vgoodiez stock the io and ship world-wide but do you have the option to purchase an extra battery with the unit like hopper labs do? I couldn't see it on there site. I have 3 old batterys I purchased just before the price increase about 2 years ago? I barely got to use them as by the time they arrived I had just received my 3rd hopper replacement that lasted a few weeks of use. I'm hopping at least 1 of them still work they havnt been charged since.

OnO

Hey everybody just hoping for some advice. I have been following the thread from the hopper io announcement and have been itching to get one however I didn't have a great time with the og hopper my 3 units lasted a few weeks each however I loved the vape when it performed. So i have been keen to get the io since it seems reliability and customer service is improving from reading the thread.

I'm based in the UK (northern Ireland) and I'm a bit hesitant ordering from hopper labs in the USA as I would have to send it back there for repairs and the way customs are at the minute I don't fancy having to send it back used but there doesn't seem to be any UK based sellers at the minute so no choice but to order from hopper labs.

I have seen a few posters in here from Ireland and the UK who have bought the io would you folks mind sharing your experience with waiting times postage and customs charges?

I know the fine folks at vgoodiez stock the io and ship world-wide but do you have the option to purchase an extra battery with the unit like hopper labs do? I couldn't see it on there site. I have 3 old batterys I purchased just before the price increase about 2 years ago? I barely got to use them as by the time they arrived I had just received my 3rd hopper replacement that lasted a few weeks of use. I'm hopping at least 1 of them still work they havnt been charged since.

Hi

I am from the UK and it's been 48 days now since I ordered. It seems to be in limbo at the moment. I have had no updates since the 6th. I was told from HL it could take up to 60 days to get here. I hope that helps. I chose standard shipping btw.

Thebigsmoke

Hi

I am from the UK and it's been 48 days now since I ordered. It seems to be in limbo at the moment. I have had no updates since the 6th. I was told from HL it could take up to 60 days to get here. I hope that helps. I chose standard shipping btw.
Wow that's a bit of a wait. Do you have tracking is it stuck in customs or just moving through the post very slowly .

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer

I have/had some batteries. Sold them out yesterday but should be able to get more soon enough. We sell them as a separate item on the site. You can search or go into the hopper category and you'll find them there.

Shipping has been very choppy lately but customs delays are even worse. It's unfortunate for sure.

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
@VGOODIEZ so far does it look like the problem with the availability of the batteries is over or is it still tricky to buy them in good quantity? The Hopper is good for nothing if you don't have batteries to make it work and the recharge time is too long if you charge it in the Hopper. I now have 5 batteries and it makes a world of difference not to have to worry if the Hopper will run out of juice after your second puff in the session. Any word on if the battery charger will ever be available from Hopper?

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
@VGOODIEZ so far does it look like the problem with the availability of the batteries is over or is it still tricky to buy them in good quantity? The Hopper is good for nothing if you don't have batteries to make it work and the recharge time is too long if you charge it in the Hopper. I now have 5 batteries and it makes a world of difference not to have to worry if the Hopper will run out of juice after your second puff in the session. Any word on if the battery charger will ever be available from Hopper?
Batteries are loosening up with the new batch right around the corner so I suspect in a few weeks it will be a non issue. I had about 15 on Monday but all sold out again now. I use a 4 bay external charger for mine which seems to be quicker and obviously you can recharge multiple cells at the same time.

As for the hopper charger, I don't know that now. I get it ..people are antsy for the external charger and stainless steel case they paid for a long time ago. That is the next hurdle I guess. The IO's have been pretty solid and warranty claims on OGs are getting resolved.

The Chemist

I have a couple of external charger it's not a problem. I just want to charge the new batteries a couple of times in the Hopper to be sure that everything is working the way it's supposed to, so if there's a problem it won't be because of the external charger. As for the Hopper charger I didn't order one but I was curious since I know people are waiting for them. Good news for the batteries if the production problems are a thing of the past but we'll see if it last. Now if only the colored TI could be released faster.

Uridium

Just wanted to say I use my hopper >3 bowels every day since it arrived and it is still performing splendidly.
I rip through the bowel in one hit on max through a shallow bubbler and I am satisfied with the extraction every time.
First rip milks up the bubbler like no other vape I own, it’s hardcore and I love that it can do that.
If I rip a second hit from the same bowel it doesn’t produce nearly as much vapour and that reassured me that I am getting most of the goodness from my weed on the first long rip.

tip: turning off the vape towards the end of the rip and keep drawing through it really helps cool down the IO so you can re-pack and rip a second one back to back.

I don’t think I have ever made it past the second bowel - this thing hits me hard, just the way I like it!

and for anyone that prefers to rip native, I was surprised to find when I went camping and forgot my travel water piece that with only the silicone mouth guard it was still ripable at max.
I could feel the heat more and usually took the hit in two goes but it was still my go to vape over the dynavap.

the best thing about this vape for me is I haven’t smoked a bong since it arrived - I get the same satisfaction, actually way more satisfaction from ripping the IO, a bong doesn’t come close in terms of taste.
🤤💨💨

vapviking

Old & In the Way
the best thing about this vape for me is I haven’t smoked a bong since it arrived - I get the same satisfaction, actually way more satisfaction from ripping the IO, a bong doesn’t come close in terms of taste.
Nothing will kill the urge to combust like a top shelf convection vape.
For me, all it took was a good ol conduction model, the pax; after first bowl (not bowel, btw!) 7 years ago I have not looked back.
In 2 months I will make 10 years since stopping cigarettes. I think I'm a truly a combustion fucker.
Keep up the good work.

The Chemist

All this talk about using a drip tip on the PFE makes me regret that I got rid of all my e-cig stuff when the pandemic started. I didn't want to be tempted so I threw everything in the trash, but now I'm finally nicotine free and my lungs don't have to endure the vapor from e-liquid. Yesterday I remember that I have two mouth piece from the Herbalizer I got a couple of months ago and they look a lot like a drip tip. My Hopper now look like this:

20200821_125454.jpg

It works like a charm, the vapor is cool enough even at the max setting for me but it might not be cooled enough for everyone. The mouth piece is heavy and solid metal so it cools the vapor even more but it'll get very hot but only at the end of the draw so you can take a bigger puff than usual. This won't replace a water pipe but at least I can use the Hopper on the go if I want to. The mouth piece wobble just a little but it's not coming off easily. I'm loving this vape more and more every day.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Apparently I sent a hopper in for repair in 2018 and totally forgot about it. Just got notification that my repaired hopper is on the way :lol:

Also the last replacement Hopper I got is the best Hopper I've ever owned. Top end is hot enough but not too hot that it makes it taste popcorny really fast, bottom end is flavor city but also still produces thick vapor if you draw for a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom