Discontinued Hopper io

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I don’t know, @Macicman. My Dope Gun™ averages 3-4 hits but I can get 1-2 or even 5-6 depending on circumstances, how much I pack, and how potent my cannabis is. I just did two 5-6 hit chambers in a row for testing purposes. One was with my OG Grasshopper. After I finished that chamber the voltage read 3.87V on my Nitecore D2. I recharged the battery and put it in my Hopper io. When I finished that chamber the voltage was 3.97V on the D2. That’s about a 30% increase in battery life. It’s also important to note that my batteries are two years old, fresh batteries would likely perform better.

kilo

Isn't that gonna loosen the button?
I don't think so — it doesn't actually turn, it just applies a little twist pressure and seems to firm up the contact.
After I finished that chamber the voltage read 3.87V on my Nitecore D2.
I noticed that when the white lights started flashing on my io and I removed the battery and put it in my Nitecore D2 the voltage was 3.69, much lower than the normal readings on my older batteries which are usually around 3.80. Makes me wonder if that's a particular characteristic of mislabeled GH3's, more reserve power. I really like that aspect of using an external charger — you get useful feedback.

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist
Here is my IO review after using the new hopper for a week:

Background: I’ve been using cannabis daily for the past 10 years and vaping for about 6-7. I used MFLB, Flowermate, Arizer EQ, Mighty / Crafty, DynaVap and Grasshopper Titanium, now Hopper IO, also Titanium. I found those portables to be as good as desktops with a good pack (0.25-0.3g).

TL;DR ★★★★★ I love the IO and recommend it to everyone. I used to only be able to get through my tolerance by using Grasshopper via a bong. Now I enjoy IO natively and that should speak a volume.

jq00580laxf51.jpg

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Hopper Labs customer service has only been highly professional in my experience, all things considered (startup, fire, covid). They come through with the lifetime warranty, that’s remarkable. Unlike HL I previously had terrible experience with Storz & Bickel, the Crafty company. Long story short, I had to send in my Crafties for replacement 7 times and in the end they told me to buy a new unit since repairs continued past the 2 year warranty period. All this shipping and „repairs” and it turned out that the culprit to broken Crafties is a not heat resistant 1$ part…. So yeah, even though I had to send my OG hopper for repair once and had to wait a couple months, I think they do a good job. I have been using Grasshopper for 4 years.

DEVICE SPECIFICATION

For anyone interested I recommend reading all the changes Hopper Labs implemented in IO over here: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/hopper-io.46246/page-7#post-1443949. Multiplied airflow and power. Back end stays cold. Temp dial is both more sturdy and easier to switch. Charger magnet is weaker and easier to remove. Heater doesn’t heat up as much if you don’t inhale, great work on the sensors. In short they fixed all the issues, to me it’s perfect. As in how reliable those devices are, let’s just say that I know of a unit that was dropped in water and works flawlessly. I did complain about the button sometimes not working, but either it fixed itself by now, or maybe I was applying pressure at a wrong angle or something, I don't have this issue anymore.

EXTRACTION

This thing hits like a pipe. Clouds everywhere. There is no learning curve. It’s instantly on after you press the button, it actually took me a while to get used to the vape being ready so fast. Airflow is supreme to any vape I have tried, feels like 2x as good as on the OG hopper. It’s like they write in the manual: „inhale firmly; your Hopper can keep up”. Amazing! I try no to go over 200C to avoid benzene (carcinogen) so I could be extracting more efficiently, but on average it takes about 5 hits to finish 0.25g. I tested AVB of the OG hopper and it showed about 4% THC content, good for baking ;).

BATTERY

Lasts me 2-3 bowls, but really the ability to spread use over time due to the Instant On tech makes it last very long in practice. Charges way faster than I can keep up with ;). With an OG hopper I sometimes had to reconnect it to USB to see charging lights. This is fixed in IO. Bonus: OG batteries still work well.

TASTE

It is what it is with such a short vapor path. Short hits on the lowest temp can give some nice 1-2 puffs, but overall I can smell it better if someone else is vaping than if I’m doing it myself. With other vapes it was better due to longer vapor path, but those tasty hits came with the price of spending 20 minutes on killing a bowl and a ton of reeky residue. With the hopper I’m done before Crafty heats up. So I believe for taste probably a glass J-Hook could be in order, but i haven’t tried it.

SESSION STYLE & STEALTH

This thing changed my life for the better. With instant extraction it’s easier to dose precisely and not get couchlocked. Many of you must be familiar with the annoyance of „killing” a bowl, just not to start the next one with a half burnt AVB. IO gives you the unique chance to vape 0.25g of bud in under 2 minutes, that is if you can keep up. This is priceless in a country with harsh drug laws. Having been arrested a few times myself due to smoking in public I salute Hopper Labs for the opportunity to walk a free man and enjoy my habit and medicine.

TECHNIQUE & TIPS

This is a metal pen that heats up to 230C. Keep it in your palm between draws to dissipate the heat. Turn it around in your lips to avoid prolonged contact and burns. Do not touch near the lights (heater). And in case anyone hasn’t done it, try switching it off single handedly with your palm. You can also use the clip as a picking tool to empty the bowl when you are done (just watch out for the wind). Other than that, just inhale firmly and try to keep up ;).

PRICE

If price is your concern, get the DynaVap instead, it’s also very efficient but cheap and doesn’t need a battery. As for the Hopper IO Titanium price of 295 $, I think it’s not only fair and adequate for the device with lifetime warranty, but I’m also proud to support Hopper Labs, the inventors of the most remarkable piece of technology I have ever used. Thanks Matt and Trevor!

TL;DR ★★★★★ This is the best portable on the market and the vape to convert smokers, as long as they can deal with the fact that vaping boils off all the aromas in the first 1-2 hits.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Nice review @YetAnotherUsername

I think the biggest downside to the io is how easy and satisfying it is to use. Especially with a power adapter, it is just too easy. I held no restraint and have built up a solid tolerance in the time I've had mine, which was no problem because it was easy to keep ramping up usage (it's also possible to be disciplined and have very efficient usage, but it's more fun to overindulge :D). It always delivers and there's no waiting or mucking around.
I spent all weekend using the sub but had to bring the dabs out to breach beyond what the herb was doing (seems like the io is more potent than the legacy, I think in part due to the more rapid intake). The io packs a punch, and I think I now need a break! The only real downside I have found is my own lack of self restraint and now I've nearly depleted my stash haha.

Mine isn't the 'one-hitter' I was expecting (which would have wound up meaning even greater amounts would typically be used), I can always get a bit of extraction although it does taper away sharply (typically get 4 or 5 tokes from a chamber not that I've counted).
It's interesting to see a measurement of THC left in the ABV, I expect mine would be similar, but I guess that figure could equate from a yield percentage from an initial mass. I'm unsure if it would usually leave that much (4%) if starting from a lower proportion herb sample, it might do, I usually empty mine knowing there's still a bit left but satisfied with what I have ingested. I guess I should try some edibles from it...

Last night to finish off I used the last of my Suver Haze from Dr. Ganja, high quality CBD flower, plus I mixed in some Blue Dream terpene infused CBD isolate, and the clouds were so huge and delicious, lasting and effective.

Very happy with the io, it performs a job unlike anything else. Especially with external power, it is too good.

Having mine paired with the 18650 sled has been interesting, with it's voltage indicator LEDs you can watch the power draw as it occurs, the other day I compared it with the legacy and there is a slight difference. I guess the legacy was built around the length of time it takes to heat up. Click it and it powers on to red, lots of variable power draw until the sensor is happy with the temp, lights go blue, power stops, heater cools upon inhalation, power sent to boost it back but it takes time to heat up and it struggles as it is combated by active cooling, so there is this induced temp fluctuation.
With the io, click it and power is thrown at it and white lights show that it's instantly ready. After several seconds the power stops, the heater is hot enough, and this happens in about the same time whether you're toking or not. I think that the extra power enables the heater to heat up so quickly, that not only do you get instant heat, the heat remains and stays remarkably consistent, as there's such a tiny length of time required to keep the heater up to temp, even when it is being cooled by airflow, it hovers very closely around the set temp instead of potentially wandering wildly either way as has been seen in various legacy units.

The io simply provides top quality vapour leaving not much to be desired.

A slightly larger desktop unit without the same device thermal restraints would be amazing, and I guess could be very price competitive now HL has all the equipment in-house

Macicman

Here is my IO review after using the new hopper for a week:

Background: I’ve been using cannabis daily for the past 10 years and vaping for about 6-7. I used MFLB, Flowermate, Arizer EQ, Mighty / Crafty, DynaVap and Grasshopper Titanium, now Hopper IO, also Titanium. I found those portables to be as good as desktops with a good pack (0.25-0.3g).

TL;DR ★★★★★ I love the IO and recommend it to everyone. I used to only be able to get through my tolerance by using Grasshopper via a bong. Now I enjoy IO natively and that should speak a volume.

jq00580laxf51.jpg

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Hopper Labs customer service has only been highly professional in my experience, all things considered (startup, fire, covid). They come through with the lifetime warranty, that’s remarkable. Unlike HL I previously had terrible experience with Storz & Bickel, the Crafty company. Long story short, I had to send in my Crafties for replacement 7 times and in the end they told me to buy a new unit since repairs continued past the 2 year warranty period. All this shipping and „repairs” and it turned out that the culprit to broken Crafties is a not heat resistant 1$ part…. So yeah, even though I had to send my OG hopper for repair once and had to wait a couple months, I think they do a good job. I have been using Grasshopper for 4 years.

DEVICE SPECIFICATION

For anyone interested I recommend reading all the changes Hopper Labs implemented in IO over here: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/hopper-io.46246/page-7#post-1443949. Multiplied airflow and power. Back end stays cold. Temp dial is both more sturdy and easier to switch. Charger magnet is weaker and easier to remove. Heater doesn’t heat up as much if you don’t inhale, great work on the sensors. In short they fixed all the issues, to me it’s perfect. As in how reliable those devices are, let’s just say that I know of a unit that was dropped in water and works flawlessly. I did complain about the button sometimes not working, but either it fixed itself by now, or maybe I was applying pressure at a wrong angle or something, I don't have this issue anymore.

EXTRACTION

This thing hits like a pipe. Clouds everywhere. There is no learning curve. It’s instantly on after you press the button, it actually took me a while to get used to the vape being ready so fast. Airflow is supreme to any vape I have tried, feels like 2x as good as on the OG hopper. It’s like they write in the manual: „inhale firmly; your Hopper can keep up”. Amazing! I try no to go over 200C to avoid benzene (carcinogen) so I could be extracting more efficiently, but on average it takes about 5 hits to finish 0.25g. I tested AVB of the OG hopper and it showed about 4% THC content, good for baking ;).

BATTERY

Lasts me 2-3 bowls, but really the ability to spread use over time due to the Instant On tech makes it last very long in practice. Charges way faster than I can keep up with ;). With an OG hopper I sometimes had to reconnect it to USB to see charging lights. This is fixed in IO. Bonus: OG batteries still work well.

TASTE

It is what it is with such a short vapor path. Short hits on the lowest temp can give some nice 1-2 puffs, but overall I can smell it better if someone else is vaping than if I’m doing it myself. With other vapes it was better due to longer vapor path, but those tasty hits came with the price of spending 20 minutes on killing a bowl and a ton of reeky residue. With the hopper I’m done before Crafty heats up. So I believe for taste probably a glass J-Hook could be in order, but i haven’t tried it.

SESSION STYLE & STEALTH

This thing changed my life for the better. With instant extraction it’s easier to dose precisely and not get couchlocked. Many of you must be familiar with the annoyance of „killing” a bowl, just not to start the next one with a half burnt AVB. IO gives you the unique chance to vape 0.25g of bud in under 2 minutes, that is if you can keep up. This is priceless in a country with harsh drug laws. Having been arrested a few times myself due to smoking in public I salute Hopper Labs for the opportunity to walk a free man and enjoy my habit and medicine.

TECHNIQUE & TIPS

This is a metal pen that heats up to 230C. Keep it in your palm between draws to dissipate the heat. Turn it around in your lips to avoid prolonged contact and burns. Do not touch near the lights (heater). And in case anyone hasn’t done it, try switching it off single handedly with your palm. You can also use the clip as a picking tool to empty the bowl when you are done (just watch out for the wind). Other than that, just inhale firmly and try to keep up ;).

PRICE

If price is your concern, get the DynaVap instead, it’s also very efficient but cheap and doesn’t need a battery. As for the Hopper IO Titanium price of 295 $, I think it’s not only fair and adequate for the device with lifetime warranty, but I’m also proud to support Hopper Labs, the inventors of the most remarkable piece of technology I have ever used. Thanks Matt and Trevor!

TL;DR ★★★★★ This is the best portable on the market and the vape to convert smokers, as long as they can deal with the fact that vaping boils off all the aromas in the first 1-2 hits.
This person loves the Hopper IO DopeGun(TM), just like me.

Michel

I received 2 Ti Hoppers and 4 batteries in less than 2 weeks from US to Europe. Both hoppers are working flawless. Build quality is better than on my OG’s from 2016. Threads are smoother, battery is better. PFE with Drip Tip is a Game changer. Vapor output not comparable to any of my other devices, just amazing. Clouds dense like smoke... the taste is clearly not comparable to a Teflon Minivap but the hopper strips anything away on 1-3 hits anyways. The First hit is very tasty. makes me sneeze some times. Only the Bowl is still to small imo, and the charger is so lala.
The Safety feature of the charger is annoying, and without Drip Tip and PFE the hopper usable, but not really comfortable since too harsh/ dry. I have a wooden Drip Tip now. I like the appearance of SS and Ti much more but Wood doesn’t conduct heat as much. I’m able to rip this thing like a plenty or a Minivap, but this little thing produces more vapor than anything I used before... apart the hopper OG when it combusted it’s own heater. But the electronic taste wasn’t worth the amount of vapor...
My Mighty / Crafty are looking like dinosaurs compared to the hoppers ...
I really wish you good luck Hopper labs. Unbelievable what they invented, even when CS was shitty. But seems better now. Thanks @VGOODIEZ btw for helping out.

I canceled the tinymight. I’m even thinking about selling my 252 degree/ 485 Fahrenheit glass core MV which really is a beast...
I keep the mighty for extended sessions in front of the TV in the evenings and stored everything else away. 2 Hoppers rotating on the charger are more than enough for me since I can get 4-5 bowls out of 1 battery. I’m done with the hopper before the Mighty reached temperature. I might even get a 3 unit...

VAS is dead.

Guest399

I received 2 Ti Hoppers and 4 batteries in less than 2 weeks from US to Europe. Both hoppers are working flawless. Build quality is better than on my OG’s from 2016. Threads are smoother, battery is better. PFE with Drip Tip is a Game changer. Vapor output not comparable to any of my other devices, just amazing. Clouds dense like smoke... the taste is clearly not comparable to a Teflon Minivap but the hopper strips anything away on 1-3 hits anyways. The First hit is very tasty. makes me sneeze some times. Only the Bowl is still to small imo, and the charger is so lala.
The Safety feature of the charger is annoying, and without Drip Tip and PFE the hopper usable, but not really comfortable since too harsh/ dry. I have a wooden Drip Tip now. I like the appearance of SS and Ti much more but Wood doesn’t conduct heat as much. I’m able to rip this thing like a plenty or a Minivap, but this little thing produces more vapor than anything I used before... apart the hopper OG when it combusted it’s own heater. But the electronic taste wasn’t worth the amount of vapor...
My Mighty / Crafty are looking like dinosaurs compared to the hoppers ...
I really wish you good luck Hopper labs. Unbelievable what they invented, even when CS was shitty. But seems better now. Thanks @VGOODIEZ btw for helping out.

I canceled the tinymight. I’m even thinking about selling my 252 degree/ 485 Fahrenheit glass core MV which really is a beast...
I keep the mighty for extended sessions in front of the TV in the evenings and stored everything else away. 2 Hoppers rotating on the charger are more than enough for me since I can get 4-5 bowls out of 1 battery. I’m done with the hopper before the Mighty reached temperature. I might even get a 3 unit...

VAS is dead.

i had yesterday ordered my 2nd Hopper io too :) now i have SS and i ordered Titan

from which material are your both hoppers ? i am from europe too

Edit: i have two Tinymights but i love the Hopper more !!! :love:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
i had yesterday ordered my 2nd Hopper io too :) now i have SS and i ordered Titan

Would love to hear a review and comparison of the SS and Ti io. Still having bad thoughts and buying an io. Nothing wrong with my OG Ti however curious nonetheless (maybe a touch of VAS, mild case). :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Would love to hear a review and comparison of the SS and Ti io. Still having bad thoughts and buying an io. Nothing wrong with my OG Ti however curious nonetheless (maybe a touch of VAS, mild case). :peace:
I have had an SS io for several weeks now and it's working great. I think you know I have had several og's (still have two!), a couple of them Ti.
I will say the performance of the io is superior, regardless of case material. I now agree they were justified in calling it a new generation, with a new name.
Like any og, when run hard the io can build up heat all through the case, and do it faster and hotter than either type of og body. (Under my normal use pattern, it develops case heat about the same as an og does.)

I'm committed to vaping only flower (no concentrates!) in the io, and for bud, this SS io is more than adequate at setting 2, 3 if I really want a finishing boost.

Idk if I'm making a good point or not, about heat, but for my use I can't imagine wanting higher wattage output (as they say the Ti has over the SS; like, 5 watts iirc).

I'm liking the feel of the brass on the back end threading into SS. Nice, solid and smooth feel.

If I were in the market for another io, the only reason I might go for a Ti would be so that I could tell them apart in my drawer.

Michel

I have 2 Ti’s. I think the PFE- drip tip combination makes the question obsolete if SS or Ti is better, shouldn’t make any difference for me when talking about hot vapor or cool down time. Since Threads are so smooth compared to the OG hopper I’m fine with the build quality of the Ti.

I was unsure how long the io will last, so I thought it would be nice to have 2 of the same kind, one as backup or to combine and switch defect parts from one hopper to another without “Frankenstein look”. So I could have taken 2 SS as well, but I somehow feel better with the knowledge owning the more expensive version... weird thoughts and somehow I think the 3rd one will be a SS finally.

Edit: or a dark grey Ti, or perhaps a blue Ti...

Edit 2:
I now agree they were justified in calling it a new generation, with a new name.

+1
And I wasn’t happy at all trading in 2 OG’s for 1/4 of their original price tag...

Guest399

I have 2 Ti’s. I think the PFE- drip tip combination makes the question obsolete if SS or Ti is better, shouldn’t make any difference for me when talking about hot vapor or cool down time. Since Threads are so smooth compared to the OG hopper I’m fine with the build quality of the Ti.

I was unsure how long the io will last, so I thought it would be nice to have 2 of the same kind, one as backup or to combine and switch defect parts from one hopper to another without “Frankenstein look”. So I could have taken 2 SS as well, but I somehow feel better with the knowledge owning the more expensive version... weird thoughts and somehow I think the 3rd one will be a SS finally.

Edit: or a dark grey Ti, or perhaps a blue Ti...

i only switched to the Titanium because it has 5 Watts more. BEcause i am only an high temperature player. and i will look if the titanium gets little hotter than the SS. normally i prefer SS to Titanium !! its only because of temperature. But i cant imagen that it will be hotter than the SS.

I am planning to buy an 3rd one too in about a half year. (if i have the money !! :lol:) But definitely an second SS

I have many SS Frontends. Hope they will be good fits in the Titanium Hopper.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

I chose Ti because of the better binned heaters, thought it could lead to a longer lifespan.
I am leaning towards trading my busted Ti legacy in to swap for the SS io. I don't even know why, but it seems like a nice idea.

My original plan was to have moved it on, but it broke while still waiting for the io.
Now I'm a bit unsure about it.

I have one other blue legacy on loan to my friend who had his blue Ti burn up at HL just as it was about to be sent back.
That one I will probably pass on after I give it a blast with mains power to see what happens.

My HT Ti just gets neglected for the most part which is a bit sad.
Not sure how much you gain from having more than 2 units. They do multiply in effects if used together, but I would imagine 3 ios would be almost too much to handle :drool:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Idk if I'm making a good point or not, about heat, but for my use I can't imagine wanting higher wattage output (as they say the Ti has over the SS; like, 5 watts iirc).
I doubt I’d notice a 5w difference either. My initial thought was to go with an SS. I have a Ti so perhaps somerhjng

If I were in the market for another io, the only reason I might go for a Ti would be so that I could tell them apart in my drawer.
see above.

BEcause i am only an high temperature player. and i will look if the titanium gets little hotter than the SS. normally i prefer SS to Titanium !! its only because of temperature. But i cant imagen that it will be hotter than the SS.

I am planning to buy an 3rd one too in about a half year. (if i have the money !! :lol:)
I admire you high temp folks, especially if natively (or with the PFE). 🔥 I use my Hopper 99% natively and after its lone RMA anything above 3.5 is too hot for me. Before RMA I was topping out @ 4. My thinking is that if the io is so improved and with a significant wattage boost (even the SS being 5 watts short of the Ti) it should run better at low temps.

The cost difference between the io units was a moderate concern when they were initially released. Not now and I could buy several of each but that’s not the point nor need. Quality and satisfaction with one is all I ask. My Hopper history hasn’t exactly been rosy yet I still greatly enjoy my Hopper. More power at lower temps in an io is compelling:sherlock:

I chose Ti because of the better binned heaters, thought it could lead to a longer lifespan.
I am leaning towards trading my busted Ti legacy in to swap for the SS io.
This binned heater sounds intriguing and could tip the scale in favor of a Ti for me.

As long as my OG Ti works and I have batteries (which I now do) I will deliberately wait a bit.
:peace::peace:

Guest399

I doubt I’d notice a 5w difference either. My initial thought was to go with an SS. I have a Ti so perhaps somerhjng

see above.

I admire you high temp folks, especially if natively (or with the PFE). 🔥 I use my Hopper 99% natively and after its lone RMA anything above 3.5 is too hot for me. Before RMA I was topping out @ 4. My thinking is that if the io is so improved and with a significant wattage boost (even the SS being 5 watts short of the Ti) it should run better at low temps.

The cost difference between the io units was a moderate concern when they were initially released. Not now and I could buy several of each but that’s not the point nor need. Quality and satisfaction with one is all I ask. My Hopper history hasn’t exactly been rosy yet I still greatly enjoy my Hopper. More power at lower temps in an io is compelling:sherlock:

This binned heater sounds intriguing and could tip the scale in favor of a Ti for me.

As long as my OG Ti works and I have batteries (which I now do) I will deliberately wait a bit.
:peace::peace:

i only use my Hopper natively but only with silicone mouthpiece. And i only use it at the highest temperature and i love it very much :)

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
Well I finally received the PFE that was missing in my order from Hopper and I also got some batteries from VGoodies since he got them in stock. I will finally be able to use this thing without having to worry if my 2 batteries are full every times.

fogbank

Well I finally received the PFE that was missing in my order from Hopper and I also got some batteries from VGoodies since he got them in stock. I will finally be able to use this thing without having to worry if my 2 batteries are full every times.
I PM'd @VGOODIEZ a while ago about my pre-fire battery order that I never received. I did not get a response.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I PM'd @VGOODIEZ a while ago about my pre-fire battery order that I never received. I did not get a response.
Yeah sorry I missed it. I got about 100+ messages on multiple platforms and then my day job got busy on top of that. It got very difficult to track despite hours per week spent on it instead of other higher priority items in my life. This including VGoodiez and family too. It's been rough.

That said I have put specific information on the threads regarding the battery subject. I also suggested at this point it might be better to contact hopper directly as they were in better shape than I was. As a reminder to everyone, I am here to help things along and keep Hopper honest but if you have not reached out to them directly recently it would be best. After all I don't work for Hopper and am doing this for charity. I almost regret offering help based on how I have been treated by so many people displacing their anger towards me and/or acting like I owe them something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom